Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/13/2006 7:51:13 AM EDT
OK flame me I know this has been beaten to death but I cant word it right as when I do a search i t comes up empty,  What is the difference between Red box and Black box TAP?  The what grain do I want?
Thanks,
Mike
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:53:46 AM EDT
[#1]
If you are talking about Black Hills ammunition, I believe one is remanufactured ammunition and the other is new manufacture.  I could be lying to you though I'm not entirely sure.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:56:55 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
OK flame me I know this has been beaten to death but I cant word it right as when I do a search i t comes up empty,  What is the difference between Red box and Black box TAP?  The what grain do I want?
Thanks,
Mike

I believe one is loaded to 5.56 pressures, and the other is .223.  I could be wrong.

75gr TAP is the flavor of the week.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:03:14 AM EDT
[#3]
No, not Blackhills I guess I should have put in Honady
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:25:12 AM EDT
[#4]
COLOR
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:32:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Red box is considered "LE", black box is considered civilian.  The only one that is different is the LEO Only 5.56 75gr.  If you are going to pay the price for TAP, get the 75gr in whichever box you can get it.

TS
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:40:54 AM EDT
[#6]
There are 3 types with a 75 gr bullet,

#80268, comes in a black box with a black, nickel-coated case, and is loaded to .223 pressure.

#80265, comes in a red box with regular brass cases, is also loaded to .223 pressure.

#8126N, comes in a red box with brass cases, and is loaded to 5.56 pressure.

#80265 is loosely considered "LE" and #80268 is considered "civilian", although I think you can buy all of the #80268 you want from Hornady dealers.  The consensus seems to be that there is no difference between the two.  The #8126N is only drop shipped direct from Hornady and they will ask for your LE ID before selling it to you.  FWIW, #80265 and #8126N is the same price if you order from Hornady.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:42:19 AM EDT
[#7]
BOTH SHOULD BE BANNED FROM CIVILIAN USE!
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:00:20 AM EDT
[#8]
MARKm I see ya say this all the time

I cant tell if you are joken or not?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:04:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Billmanweh

I have a few LEO friends

Can they have it ship to there house with letterhead or does it go to the cop shop only?
I dont want them to get in trouble ya know.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:13:12 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I cant tell if you are joking or not?

He's trying to point out how anal retentive these questions really are, as all this information has been covered more times than Carter's has liver pills, (not to mentioned all the TACKED topics above and the AMMO-FAQ) but yet dufasses still ask it over and over.

Like a few FPS difference is gonna make such a big difference to the target.

Mike

ps - there are several threads right now in the Ammunition forum that cover this topic up, down, back forward & sideways..........., do folks bother to go find'em NOPE.

ETA - see here's 3 on this topic still active here in this forum:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=16&t=272237

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=16&t=269353

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=16&t=264539

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:15:59 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Billmanweh

I have a few LEO friends

Can they have it ship to there house with letterhead or does it go to the cop shop only?
I dont want them to get in trouble ya know.

they would contact Hornady and fax in their creditentials.  then they just order it and it's shipped to their house.  after the first time it's just a phone call.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:54:23 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He's trying to point out how anal retentive these questions really are, as all this information has been covered more times than Carter's has liver pills, (not to mentioned all the TACKED topics above and the AMMO-FAQ) but yet dufasses still ask it over and over.

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 10:13:33 AM EDT
[#13]
I hear ya!

Thanks for the INFO
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 10:54:17 AM EDT
[#14]
markm, I know it has but when I search and read the ammo tacks either it goes right over me or it does not ell the exact differences.  Why the heck do they box the same ammo in different color boxes?  And do they use blacke case on some?  I mean from a selling point if its the same inside why make the outsides different?  It only raises the cost?  I know I'm missing it here but as my wife says I miss the point all the time.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:03:22 AM EDT
[#15]
the only difference between to 2 is the TAP black box (FPD) has  black nickel cases and TAP red box has brass casses, they are both loaded exactly the same.  Both are .223 pressure not 5.56
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:27:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Buy Black Hills 75 Blue Box CHEAPER and accurate
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:43:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Mr_Wilson,   What did you write for your search topic?  I was wondering more why the box difference in color as well as the case.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:47:51 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Like a few FPS difference is gonna make such a big difference to the target.

Mike

ps - there are several threads right now in the Ammunition forum that cover this topic up, down, back forward & sideways..........., do folks bother to go find'em NOPE.

ETA - see here's 3 on this topic still active here in this forum:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=16&t=272237

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=16&t=269353

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=16&t=264539

PLEASE stop confusing the issue with facts!
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:05:49 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Mr_Wilson,   What did you write for your search topic?  I was wondering more why the box difference in color as well as the case.

I did not use the search, I simply paged thru the Ammunition Forum, the topics above were in the first 4 pages (yesterday, don't mean they will be that close to the top today).

As a team member you can also use your name/handle and "reply-author" provided you have posted to the topic your looking for, and utilize yourself as a search mechanism............

Mike
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:07:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Mr wilson we join the forum the same month and year how about that
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top