Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/10/2006 6:08:37 AM EDT
I am looking to buy a stock of close quarters ammo for my M4 Carbine (Bushmaster 14.5-inch barrel with 1:7 5.56 chamber) but I also have a 11.5-inch 1:7 twist Bushmaster barreled upper as well.

I know that the military and security groups have been moving to heavier bullets for this use (77-gr and heavier) but I am not clear who manufactures ammo in this category and what ammo has the better reputation (accuracy and terminal performance).  I know ammo-oracle seems to suggest that the 77 grain Nosler NATO loading from Black Hills is a top contender for terminal performance but I am not sure how available this ammo is.

I normally use 55gr Federal Surplus (M193) and it is accurate enough for target and plinking out of any of my uppers but it is time for me to get a stock of more serious ammo...  I have considered buying a case of M855 but I know that the 62-gr bullet is not going to perform ver well out of the 11.5-inch upper even though I am confident it would work fine out of the 14.5 at short range but I am looking to get a little more out of this ammo.

Thanks for oppinions and advise!  If someone has a reload they can suggest I am all ears as I have lots of empty brass at home and the reloading setup so I can always buy some 77-gr bullets and roll my own...

EDIT:  I found a recipe...

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=16&t=256882

Quoted:
When I buy from Cabelas, I pay $0.56/round. Expensive, but really good ammo.

When I roll-my-own, I pay $0.35/round (all new components).

Mk262 Recipe:
-Sierra 77 gr. MK
-Winchester .223 REM brass
-Remington 7 1/2 primer
-24-grains Ramshot TAC

Here is a source:  Cabelas

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 6:21:14 AM EDT
[#1]
I thought you had a shotty with #4 shot.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 6:21:42 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't reload so I can't give you any info on that.

I use Hornady 5.56mm 75 TAP out of my 10.3 LMT, 11.5 and 14.5 Colt uppers.

I have not shot anyone with it, and I hope I never do. So as far as my experience with the effects of it......  The accuracy is outstanding!

I have done a lot of listening and reading and this is what I have chosen.

I am sure for up close the .223 loading of the same ammo would do you very well.

HTH.

ETA: Don't discount M-193 as CQB ammo. It works very well!

M855 = Run away.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 6:35:27 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I thought you had a shotty with #4 shot.

Yea, in my home I keep a shotgun outside of the safe...  My logic is that if someone was to do a smash and grab I would rather they get away with a $100 Rem 870 shotgun then my M4 Carbine...

(Bushmaster M4A3, 14:5 1:7, KAC FF RAS, EoTech, Surefire, and all the other extras... say $1500 min and that is if I don't have the rLightning link installed)

If SHTF, and I needed a go-to gun it would be the M4A3 as it only takes a few seconds to open the safe...  This ammo is for more then a BUMP in the night senaro as I will still rely on the 12-gauge and the Glock for the bedside.  Well, unless somehow I knew to expect trouble and then it might be the UZI sitting on the nightstand!
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:05:46 AM EDT
[#4]
WOLF Steel Case!

My LMT 14.5 w/551 SHTF ammo is the Blue Box Cheap Black Hills 75gr.OTM/BTHP/MATCH H.P. etc?

That FOREST told me about !!

love the cannaclure/crimp on the bullet

I used a HAMMER until my arm fell off and still wouldnt come out?
I used Vise grips and tore it off at the crimp/cann  BH 75 is there to stay PERIOD!

Also I got some BH Blue box 77SMK wich shoots very good
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:33:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Reply to FMJ

Pulling bullets with hammer or collet is easier if you first seat the bullet deeper with a bullet seating die.  This breaks any seal from bullet sealants in old 30.06 ammo and makes the bullets much easier to remove in my experience.  I should help with crimped bullets too.  I seat 20-30 thousandths deeper or just to where I can feel it move.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:52:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Any chance we can add at what distance fragmentation no longer happens with that ammo?

John
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:29:03 AM EDT
[#7]
I finally managed to find some heavy weight Blue Box rounds in the form of the 77-gr BTHP Match load.  I will have to take it to the range and see how it shoots.  I did a quick search and I believe the following page is in relation to this load:

http://www.btammolabs.com/tests/6.htm

I only managed to get two of the 50-rd boxes as that was all Cabellas had when I was at the store but 100-rds will allow me to try it ut in my 11.5 and 14.5 upper and hopefully keep a little in reserve until I can get more of it assuming I like it...

www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=srchdx&id=0006767213952a&navCount=3&podId=0006767&parentId=cat20839&navAction=push&catalogCode=IG&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20839&hasJS=true
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top