BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/24/2006 4:04:22 PM EDT
I know that it is dirty and not that accurate but is there any real proof that it will put premature wear on an AR? It is cheap and I have had good luck with it but am I ruining my guns. I know everyone has an opinion on Wolf but is there any hard evidence that is really that bad? On the board it is hard to determine facts from opinions when deciphering all of the info. I need to order some ammo just for plinking!
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 4:13:27 PM EDT
[#1]
ONNTSA!
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 4:19:16 PM EDT
[#2]
No..No...No...Buyit.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 4:30:15 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
ONNTSA!

I don't believe I have seen this really answered! I am not asking about shooting quality of the ammo.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 4:32:08 PM EDT
[#4]
MYTHBUSTERS WHERE ARE YOU ??
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 4:37:49 PM EDT
[#5]
evidence? it is bad?

no, no real scientific tests have been done that I know of.

use it shoot it have fun!
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 4:40:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Wolf? Never heard of it. Is it new or something.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 4:40:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Nyet!
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 4:43:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Geez, why do we always see this type of question... Wolf's steel case is not harden steel, it's not going to wear out your gun! Metal parts in your gun is going to be much harder, which makes wear and tear about the same between the steel case wolf and regular brass ammo.

Just for the sake of argument, let's say it does wear more; I have shot about 5K round of wolf, most out of the same gun. Saving of shooting 5K: $100/1K compare to brass cased stuff, that's enough money to buy a whole new upper to replace the worn-out one! Buy it, shoot a lot, and have some spare parts just in case! (hell, if you shoot that much brass cased ammo our of the gun, it will break too!)
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 4:44:23 PM EDT
[#9]
The largest problem with Wolf ammo that i noticed was that it was just a really dirty shooting round. There was an extra amount of carbon buildup. I don't use it anymore, just because I can afford a lot better ammo. Just make sure you clean it really well, and you should be fine.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 4:47:26 PM EDT
[#10]
The short answer.... no

The long answer.... no
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 5:07:33 PM EDT
[#11]

NO.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 5:30:23 PM EDT
[#12]
NO NO NO NO
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 5:31:19 PM EDT
[#13]
The old stuff (green case) supposedly had some problems with the lacquer gumming up the barrels. The new stuff (gray case) doesn’t have that problem.

Wolf is a little underpowered which actually means it will probably put less wear on your rifle than full powered ammo. (Now a rumor will get started that full powered ammo will wear out AR-15s… If you can afford to shoot enough to wear out an AR-15 even with full powered ammo then the cost of repairs/replacement will be negligible to you.)

Link Posted: 1/24/2006 5:37:32 PM EDT
[#14]
NO
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 6:54:26 PM EDT
[#15]
no
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:02:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Wolf is bad stuff! Responsible for dead puppies, unwanted kittens & countless other tragities!
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:47:21 PM EDT
[#17]

Yes, Wolf is bad for your weapon.

It is cheap to buy, so you shoot more of it. Which causes you to wear out your weapon quicker than if you were buying ammo that cost twice as much.

Link Posted: 1/24/2006 9:19:13 PM EDT
[#18]
I suspect that it wears out extractors faster than brass cases...

That's just a guess on my part, but even if true, it's no big deal since an extractor is 10 bucks and 2 minutes to replace.  For the price difference between steel cased Wolf and even factory reloaded brass cased ammo, you could afford to replace your extractor after every single case of Wolf and still come out way ahead.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 9:59:47 PM EDT
[#19]
NO
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 2:06:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Yes.  You should see the throat on one of my 11.5s that's seen nothing but Wolf mag dumps.  No rifling for the first inch now.  

I am absolutely certain that Wolf caused this.

Alot of Wolf...........like 4000 rds.

Funny thing, though, nothing else broke.    How can this be?

Think I'll keep going - maybe really ruin the rifling with with another 10 cases or so.

Sam
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 4:22:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Buy some. If your AR won't swallow it, get your AR fixed.

Chief
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:00:27 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
    Yes, Wolf is bad for your weapon.

It is cheap to buy, so you shoot more of it. Which causes you to wear out your weapon quicker than if you were buying ammo that cost twice as much.

1/2 price ammo, shoot twice as much --------- of course the barrel and throat will wear faster, you're shooting twice as much.

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 10:53:20 AM EDT
[#23]
November Oscar, over!
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 11:13:13 AM EDT
[#24]
YES!
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh guys..... we dont want the prices to go up again...
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 11:41:10 AM EDT
[#25]
Has anybody had a reliability issue (feeding) with either the HP or FMJ?  
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 12:34:49 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
YES!

Good point. Don't shoot that dirty Wolf crap. Leave it for AKs and SKSs. It's not touching my match barrel.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 1:11:57 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:
YES!

Good point. Don't shoot that dirty Wolf crap. Leave it for AKs and SKSs. It's not touching my match barrel.

Spare me.

Fine do not shoot it your match barrel.
It might mess up your ability to shoot the balls of a gnat at 200 yards.
Wolf is not Crap.

Save it fo rme to shoot.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 1:19:01 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

yes I have had feeding problems with wolf ammunition.  I have shot about 1000 rounds of wolf through my AR and had about 3 or 4 fail to feeds.  One time a case got lodged in my chamber after a few rounds (50 or so) and the extractor ripped off part of the rim of the case.  it was quite a deal to remove it.  I am not sure If it was the ammo, magazine, or my J&T upper.  I always keep my gun clean and well lubed.  I have never had problems with brass, but I have only fired less than 500 rounds of brass ammo.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 1:37:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Argh, the ammo Nazis strike again... I am baffled at how often guys say "It'll hurt your gun".  These are the same guys who claim your registered M-16 "ain't legal" as they whip out their Yugo SKS and attach a "hellfire" device.  

It's not as punchy as the hotter rounds, but it works.  I especially like the Wolf 9mm, cheapest new centerfire blasting ammo on the face of the planet.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 1:52:22 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
YES!

Spare me.

Fine do not shoot it your match barrel.
It might mess up your ability to shoot the balls of a gnat at 200 yards.
Wolf is not Crap.

Save it fo rme to shoot.

The joke went right over you
I have several thousand rounds of Wolf 223 in storage.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 2:15:16 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Not really.  It's dirty, so after 800 to 1000 rds there's apt to be alot of crud that can slow return to battery.  My experience is that when this happens the bolt isn't far enough forward for the FA to be helpful.  In other words, crud in the chamber/lugs is not the issue.  A shot of CLP (hate to say it, but at MG shoots we use WD) and things are golden again.  Under recreational circumstances it's not necessary to do a thorough cleaning to get things working again, as unburned powder crud is easily displaced.  

Most all FTFeeds are mag related.  I would not say that bad mags are more apt to cause a problem with Wolf vs. anything else.

Sam
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 2:20:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Negative ghostrider.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 3:59:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Here we go again. Wish I had a dollar for every new post on here about Wolf being good or bad.

Cheap ammo
Doesnt damage your gun
very dirty, needs more cleaning
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:00:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Yes, it's terrible.  Pack it up and send it to the rest of us on the Forum.  We'll shoot it for you.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:06:40 PM EDT
[#35]
You aren't ruining them. your shooting habits will wear your gun out if you are going full-tilt all the time, but that's what AR's are for to a lot of people.

It smells kind of funky but I like shooting it. It is much less hot than M193 or 855. It's quieter and has less recoil. It is well packaged and inexpensive. The bullet tips are shiny and the charges seem even. It's almost a ridiculous value for plinking, and to tell you the truth, it probably wouldn't be too bad in a knife fight. I might keep a few hundred rounds of the good stuff around just in case, and practice with it now and then, but for blasting away you can't beat wolf. It's not target ammo per se, but it is pretty accurate. It does go bang every time.

ETA: you guys could be a little nicer to the man, he was just asking your opinion. If you don't like it, change the channel.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:27:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Old wolf yes new wolf no I don't know if old wolf is even still around.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:03:28 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Buy some. If your AR won't swallow it, get your AR fixed.

Chief

The only upper I've had that choked on Wolf got sold the next day.  If it doesn't function with the Wolf, you've probably got a misaligned gas port, loose carrier key, or no gas rings.  Fix it or sell it.  
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:10:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Not only will Wolf cause kBs in your gun, but it will also give you cancer and run over your dog,.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:12:23 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Seriously?  Why do you prefer the old Wolf?  I like the new stuff, the polymer seems to work well.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:25:30 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
 I don't know if old wolf is even still around.

I am still seeing clean/new "green" empties at the range,  the green stuff likely  coming out of hiding, forgotten case in the corner somewhere...  Been a few yr since the  grey stuff been introduced to the market..
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:55:44 AM EDT
[#41]
the problem is not wear on the weapon it is the lacquer coting on the round. wolf did away with the lacquer and the new stuff doesnt have it......but dont shoot the old stuff because of the lacquer it will over time F-up your gun....but the new stuff is fine
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 12:27:40 PM EDT
[#42]
WOLF is FINE
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 12:58:21 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Seriously?  Why do you prefer the old Wolf?  I like the new stuff, the polymer seems to work well.

No I meant OLD Wolf would damage your AR NEW Wolf is fine.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 1:01:55 PM EDT
[#44]
I had a beautiful M4A3 carbine all tricked out. I was really into shooting Wolf ammunition and saving money. Once I hit the 6,000k round mark, the rifle simply disintigrated in my hands.

Man I miss that rifle

- rem
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 2:40:03 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
I had a beautiful M4A3 carbine all tricked out. I was really into shooting Wolf ammunition and saving money. Once I hit the 6,000k round mark, the rifle simply disintigrated in my hands.

Man I miss that rifle

- rem

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 3:14:19 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Man I miss that rifle

- rem

You think that's bad, wolf ammo cheated on my wife, ran off with my girlfriend, wrecked my truck, then beat me up and stole all the extractors on all the firearms I own.

I hope Wolf ammo has a run in with Chuck Norris, that would set things straight.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 3:30:24 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Man I miss that rifle

- rem

Quoted:

Somebody has exactly zero sense of humor.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:08:33 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Man I miss that rifle

- rem

Quoted:

Somebody has exactly zero sense of humor.

You guys are like a bunch of old women.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:34:27 PM EDT
[#49]
Shot through many cases with 3 rifles, not one problem ever.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 1:26:32 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Man I miss that rifle

- rem

You think that's bad, wolf ammo cheated on my wife, ran off with my girlfriend, wrecked my truck, then beat me up and stole all the extractors on all the firearms I own.

I hope Wolf ammo has a run in with Chuck Norris, that would set things straight.

www.chucknorrisfacts.com/
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top