Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/21/2007 5:34:29 PM EDT
OK, I have never been interested in this before.  But with all the talk about the BD mags etc, I am now sufficiently curious.

Exactly how do you convert?  I understand you buy a Ceiner kit.  I looked up the Ciener website and I see a picture.  Not a very good one.  What parts do you get and once you have the kit what else is there to do?  Upper the same?  If the same, how does the 22lr affect the gas system?  The led fills up a 22 suppressor so what does it do to an AR gas port and tube?

-------------

Open your gun, pull out the bolt/bolt carrier assembly, slide the unit in, close the gun insert the .22LR magazine, SHOOT .22LR.  It's just that easy!

------------

That's what their website says.  Really, is that it?

Do you buy the kit directly from Ciener or where is a better place with a lower price.  Brownells has them, but they come with a 10 round.  I want the kit with the 30 rd mag.  Then I'd buy some from black dog.
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 5:46:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I have the Colt kit which is similar to the Ciener.

It just replaces your bolt carrier group - i.e. it really is that easy.

The volume taken up by a 5.56 round becomes the new chamber for the .22LR round (there is a metal piece the fills up the difference in volume).

As far as the gas system, I couldn't say. I do know that you won't need it, because the kits are very (incredibly) simple blow-back deals. You could dedicate an upper to it, and just forget about it, or even remove the gas tube and plug the FSB.

They can dirty up your barrel a bit more (I recommend jacketed rounds), but 5.56 seems to have a cleaning effect on the barrel from what I've read and experienced.

Here's a picture of a kit. You can see that the business end is on the left.

Also read this thread, it will answer many of your questions and is similar to yours.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=15&t=291857
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 5:48:12 PM EDT
[#2]
GP, what you do is remove the BCG and replace with the Ciener carrier.  That is it, you then use the gun like you would with a .223.  Now the POI for the .223 will most likely NOT be the same, but it might not be too far off.  Each gun is different.

HTH.

Mitch

Sniper, you beat me to it.  I've heard that you need to shoot some .223 down the pipe to help clean out the lead reisdue out of the GT, and off the Lands and Grooves.  I don't know if that is true.  Hell, I just like to shoot the big boom stuff after rocking with the mouse gun stuff.
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 5:53:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I run a mag or 2 of 223 through my M16 after shooting with the ciener.
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 6:39:36 PM EDT
[#4]
I wouldn't mind making a dedicated upper.  Need a barrel and upper, no BCG.  

I see the link to Kuehl upper but I don't know if I would want to spend that much on it.  Like one guy said he spent $1000. so he could shoot cheap rimfire rounds through his AR.  LOL!!!

Maybe one could get a RRA stripped upper and buy a barrel with a closer twist rate for a 22lr from AR15barrels.com?  I'm going to look in to that.  
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 7:31:06 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I wouldn't mind making a dedicated upper.  Need a barrel and upper, no BCG.  

I see the link to Kuehl upper but I don't know if I would want to spend that much on it.  Like one guy said he spent $1000. so he could shoot cheap rimfire rounds through his AR.  LOL!!!

Maybe one could get a RRA stripped upper and buy a barrel with a closer twist rate for a 22lr from AR15barrels.com?  I'm going to look in to that.  

Good call. .22LR is a slower twist, right? Might want to check out an old-school A1 upper.
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 9:37:26 PM EDT
[#6]
A 10/22 has a 1:16 twist rate.  Most AR = 1:9 or 1:7.  

How does that effect accuracy.  It doesn't sound like it does very much from what I have been reading.

I'm not to concerned about making a tac driver.  I want a dedicated barrel to screw a suppressor on.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 4:28:18 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
A 10/22 has a 1:16 twist rate.  Most AR = 1:9 or 1:7.  

How does that effect accuracy.  It doesn't sound like it does very much from what I have been reading.

I'm not to concerned about making a tac driver.  I want a dedicated barrel to screw a suppressor on.

I don't really target shoot much with mine, mainly plinking.

Those old A1 uppers have a 1:12 twist, though. Fairly close to the 1:16 you would be looking for, though they are old and not in as great of condition as a new upper.

Good plinking setup, though.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 4:41:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Get a used CZ upper, they can be had for between 3-300 if you look a little. I love mine.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 5:49:01 AM EDT
[#9]
I spent $2,000 on a dedicated .22 AR (complete AR, not just an upper), but it also has 2 tax stamps and an Aimpoint.

Super sweet setup, and I'm confident that the low cost of ammo will save me money in the long run.  A good .22 is about 20 to 25 cents per round cheaper than a good .223.  That means 4,000 to 5,000 rounds is $1,000 more expensive for .223 than .22.

I've only had my .22 conversion for a couple of months, and I already have over 1,000 rounds of .22 through it.

Here's a link where I discuss the costs and a show a pic

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=15&t=316390
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 12:58:11 PM EDT
[#10]
So, would it be alright to use a 1:9 barrel with the Ciener kit for plinking with some el-cheapo .22 from Walmart?
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 1:18:57 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted::
So, would it be alright to use a 1:9 barrel with the Ciener kit for plinking with some el-cheapo .22 from Walmart?

A .22 conversion is a must have add on for any AR-15 type and if you go full auto you would be an idiot not to have one.
If you intend to compare it to a target gun over sandbags or from a solid prone position you will not be impressed but I have found the Ceiner in several different bushmaster  1:9 uppers shoots about as well as the average 10/22. With a Rock River National Match trigger and searching around for some selected ammo (Wolf MT and other mid priced standard velocity ammo) It will shoot every bit as well as a 10/22target model or other tricked out 10/22. I have tried a military barrel (govt profile 1:12) and I love the ballance and sight radius but truthfully it doesn't shoot much different from the 1:9 twist.
Some of the bulk ammo is fairly decent,some of it really sucks.seems to vary almost as much from gun to gun as from brand to brand so I advise anyone to actually get the unit in your gun,shoot groops with all sorts of ammo,them buy case lots of whatever works.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top