Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/22/2005 7:30:21 PM EDT
I have a 9MM Oly upper, and am interested in getting a Oly .45 upper.

Okay, the mags that come with the Oly .45 are UZI mags with a welded on block.  I have looked around various places and can't find UZI .45 mags larger than 20 rounds, and most are $15 or higher.  A big difference than getting 9MM Sten mags for $4 in bulk.

What other .45 mags can be used with mag blocks and such?  I know that grease gun mags are too wide for standard AR lowers.  

What about thompson mags?

Thanks in advance,

No Expert
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:00:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Just throw down the Xtra $150 and get a CavArms lower for your .45 upper.  Dedicated gun that will use grease gun mags.  There have been a few going for $100 on the various for sale boards lately.

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:23:37 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Just throw down the Xtra $150 and get a CavArms lower for your .45 upper.  Dedicated gun that will use grease gun mags.  There have been a few going for $100 on the various for sale boards lately.

Well, I had considered that... but the 9MM and .45ACP uppers are going to share the lower that I have with one other 5.56 rifle.  They are the "fun guns" and the 5.56 is the main upper.

So, I'm building a "set".

No Expert
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:31:10 PM EDT
[#3]
You say no, but you heart says yes.

Just look at that.... isn't it beautiful?

.45 ACP

CAV-15 MKII lower, barrel. Modified upper.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:35:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:54:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:00:27 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Here's mine:
i4.photobucket.com/albums/y102/slash1969/Gun%20Pics/CavArms2a.jpg

Where'd you get that magpul? do they make them specially for GG mags?
I've got a pouch that holds 9 GG mags, but it's a bitch to pull out individual mags.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:13:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:14:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Looks great guys...but I'm actually more interested in what magazine options there are for the upper when NOT used with a Cav Lower.

No Expert
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:35:06 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Looks great guys...but I'm actually more interested in what magazine options there are for the upper when NOT used with a Cav Lower.

No Expert

realisitcally? nil.

there's dalphon squished mags, but they rarley work. Then there's the modified UZI mags.

Also, there's talk abotu using STEN mags with .45 GAP. you can modify a STEN mag to work with .45 ACP HP or flat point, but ball won't fit. .45 GAP is jsut short enough to fit apparently.  
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:44:33 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No Expert

realisitcally? nil.

there's dalphon squished mags, but they rarley work. Then there's the modified UZI mags.

Also, there's talk abotu using STEN mags with .45 GAP. you can modify a STEN mag to work with .45 ACP HP or flat point, but ball won't fit. .45 GAP is jsut short enough to fit apparently.  

What's the "dalphon squished" mags?  What about thompson if you weld a block to them?

No Expert
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:50:08 PM EDT
[#11]
thompson mags are too big. IIRC, they are bigger than GG mags.

I don't think dalphon is around anymore. But they used to take GG mags, and stick them in a vise. And squish them till they'd fit in an AR lower. Then they'd charge $70 or so.

EDIT:

www.dalphon.com/mags.html
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 6:12:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Reising model 50 submachine gun mags fit if sqeezed in a vice a little. I bought one from Gun Parts Corp just to get the dimensions, but the one they sent appears to be a knock off as the metal is very thin. The mag bulged in the middle when it was fully loaded. And they are expensive. They look like a Thompson mag but they are center fed unlike the Thompson mag which feed from side to side.

They can be had in 12, 20 or 30 rounds. Someone would still have to come up with a mag release and a magwell block to make it work.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 6:18:02 AM EDT
[#13]
The Thompson mags are slimmer than the GG mags are.
They still will not fit into your lower without taking off about 30 thousandths from each side of the magwell. Once you do this they still do not fit into your upper as they are double feed and they sit lower than the bolt can pick them up. Not saying they can't work, it just takes a lot to accomplish this.
GG mags do not require modification to the upper, but you can't mill out a standard lower as there just is not enough magwell there to do this.
CNCgunsmithing.com is currently trying to get a billet lower to market that takes GG mags exclusively.

Dave West
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 10:49:05 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

What other .45 mags can be used with mag blocks and such?

No Expert

Just in case anyone has not seen the other thread, there is someone working on Dalphon style GG mag conversions.

Link

Joe.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 2:32:25 PM EDT
[#15]
My Dalphon mags work great.  Where can I find UZI mags for 45ACP??
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:43:29 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
My Dalphon mags work great.  Where can I find UZI mags for 45ACP??

Good luck finding Uzi 45 mags.    Even at the ridiculous prices they go for it's very hard to find them.

I gotta parrot the other guys, buy the Cav lower.  

I wont tease you with it's current configuration.... shhhhhhhh  
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 4:28:08 AM EDT
[#17]
I have 2 unmodified uzi 15 rounders that I am never going to use.  They are brand new, paid $45 each for them before I opted to go with the Cav Arms dedicated lower and GG magazines.  I had them on the EE board a couple months ago but no bites.  If your interested let me know.

$45 each + shipping.

[email protected]
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 6:11:30 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Reising model 50 submachine gun mags fit if sqeezed in a vice a little. I bought one from Gun Parts Corp just to get the dimensions, but the one they sent appears to be a knock off as the metal is very thin. The mag bulged in the middle when it was fully loaded. And they are expensive. They look like a Thompson mag but they are center fed unlike the Thompson mag which feed from side to side.

They can be had in 12, 20 or 30 rounds. Someone would still have to come up with a mag release and a magwell block to make it work.

Reising magazines are hard to find.

Link Posted: 12/24/2005 11:46:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Gun Parts Corp has the 20 round Reising mags for $53 and there is a guy making 30 round mags. I think his name is Mike Christie. I saw an article in Small Arms Review about his new 30 round mags. He wants $85 for a brand new 30 rounder. Ouch!

With a slight squeeze, they do fit the regular lower but a mag release needs to be worked out.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 8:40:49 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

but don't those lowers have a built in pistol grip and stock that are different from standard A2 stuff?
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 8:42:38 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
thompson mags are too big. IIRC, they are bigger than GG mags.

I don't think dalphon is around anymore. But they used to take GG mags, and stick them in a vise. And squish them till they'd fit in an AR lower. Then they'd charge $70 or so.

EDIT:

www.dalphon.com/mags.html

watch out, that site has lame music
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 11:56:03 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

but don't those lowers have a built in pistol grip and stock that are different from standard A2 stuff?

The Cav lower is what's in the pictures

It's an A1 length stock, a bit shorter than the A2.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:10:30 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Cav lower is what's in the pictures

It's an A1 length stock, a bit shorter than the A2.

The pistol grip is different too.  Bigger front-to-back, so your hand sits farther back, adding about 1/2" to the reach to the trigger.   Makes the trigger feel nicer, but the safety and mag release are a bit of a stretch.

ETA:  I've also heard that since the Thompson doesn't have a mag well nobody bothered to make the outside dimensions of the mags consistent and they vary a lot from mag to mag.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top