AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/22/2019 2:44:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: EdwardAvila]
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 3:33:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Royalwithcheese] [#1]
Saw one of these in person today. Very cool product and actually more solid than I thought it would be. Seemed to be well machined.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 3:39:22 PM EDT
[#2]
That's an odd way of saying I don't value this place and I'd like to close my account.

On topic, definitely interested in the range report. Is this going to see a bunch of rounds?
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 3:41:53 PM EDT
[#3]
It's certainly an interesting design.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 11:24:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 44-40pro] [#4]
I can personally attest to the outstanding Dead Foot Arms part of this firearm assembly. I sold several of the DFA MCSs through my shop and own/use a couple my self. Latest iteration is on my side charging 9mm AR9. It is now a braced AR9. The DFA unit is very well made with zero wiggle, a requirement for me when it comes to folding stocks.

No experience with any of the front end stuff......yet. Is it sold separately.......guess I'll go read the ad copy and find out.

ETA: Ouch.
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 1:41:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 9:06:12 AM EDT
[#6]
This is the system an Arfcommer posted a prototype of about a year ago?

Will the Foldar work with a Maxim CQB collapsing stock? (clearance for the rods when folded?)
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 9:08:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Kuraki:
This is the system an Arfcommer posted a prototype of about a year ago?

Will the Foldar work with a Maxim CQB collapsing stock? (clearance for the rods when folded?)
View Quote
Looking at it, yes.  The rods will ride below the folded upper, just above the safety.
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 9:16:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By jaqufrost:

Looking at it, yes.  The rods will ride below the folded upper, just above the safety.
View Quote
Thanks.  That's how it looked to me as well.

I'm interested in a 12.5" folding upper to pair with a Maxim for a roughly flush fold in half package that uses a standard BCG.
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 9:31:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Kuraki:
Thanks.  That's how it looked to me as well.

I'm interested in a 12.5" folding upper to pair with a Maxim for a roughly flush fold in half package that uses a standard BCG.
View Quote
That will be pretty sweet.
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 9:43:10 AM EDT
[#10]
They're certainly cool.  You really need to pair it with the dead foot folding stock for maximum compactness.

Looks like it would potentially fit in a truck center console.
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 9:47:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Kuraki] [#11]
ETA I IM'd about different lengths.  I really want a 12 or 12.5" Grendel, and while I like the skinny barrels the 16" comes with it doesn't really allow to cut one down myself.
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 10:43:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Let’s mark this off as a need
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 11:27:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 11:39:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By EdwardAvila:

I will try this and post a photo of it later today...
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 3:41:45 PM EDT
[#15]
That is beautiful on several levels
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 4:37:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EdwardAvila] [#16]
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 4:38:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Awesome.  Thank you!
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 5:28:33 PM EDT
[#18]
I think a 12" with a short single chamber brake would be an almost perfect fit with the maxim brace.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 8:28:34 PM EDT
[#19]
I want to pre-order the 9” but it looks like the only option is for a stainless barrel behind the flash hider? That’s a deal breaker for me. Bummer.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 10:28:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 9:36:04 AM EDT
[#21]
@Kuraki - any plans to go forward with a FoldAR grendel build?  If so, what parts will you use? I'm assuming you will want magnified optics, will you go ACOG style to keep the optic from protruding past the fold point?
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 10:18:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Kuraki] [#22]

@Kuraki - any plans to go forward with a FoldAR grendel build?  If so, what parts will you use? I'm assuming you will want magnified optics, will you go ACOG style to keep the optic from protruding past the fold point?
View Quote
If FoldAR is offering the lengths they're offering and that's that, then I need to know the diameter of the barrel near 12" length to decide.

The way it looks to me right now is that to get what I want, I'd have to order a long barrel, cut it down, then deal with the lack of material for a new shoulder by either making a muzzle device that bottoms out on the muzzle, or by silver soldering a sleeve, or, figure out how to disassemble it and just replace the barrel with the one I want (I have no idea if this is using standard AR barrels and extensions?).

$1k for an upper that I then have to modify to get what I want isn't real high on my list of things to do.  What I really wish is that (and again I don't know if the design allows for it) that they'd sell the upper and folding mechanism/rail for people to assemble with the barrel of their choice for ~$600.

But I would really like a 12" 6.5 Grendel with a Maxim CQB stock, and I have a TA11 I could throw on it for the time being, eventually upgrade that to an ATACR 1-8x which is receiver length or damn near.

ETA: This is not a criticism of FoldAR in any way.  I've been a fan since he posted his first prototype and think it's brilliant.
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 10:25:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Yeah, it sucks it couldn't be made with a standard barrel extension.  That would make it far easier put your choice of barrel in.  But I understand why they're using the tapered extension that lets the fold work.  I wonder if they would sell the extension seperately or let you custom order a barrel.
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 11:20:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 11:23:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: EdwardAvila] [#25]
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 11:38:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Kuraki] [#26]
Originally Posted By FoldAR:
I wouldn't recommend a 12.5" Grendel, as that caliber is best suited for 16"-20" barrels. 300BLK or 6.8SPC would be much better in 12.5".

We have a basic drawing of the barrel critical dimensions in the manual:  https://foldar.com/download.php?file_id=809 at page 38.
This is for people who wish to have a custom barrel fitted.
Unfortunately, you still have to buy the complete upper.
Existing customers will have the option to have their qualified gunsmith use the extension from the factory barrel to turn a custom barrel, or order an extension from us, given stock availability.
We wont sell extensions to prospective customers however.
View Quote
Oh now that is very helpful. We don't have to debate the caliber and barrel length here, I'd happily go 6.8 if I could buy both high quality and steel case ammunition for it, but I can't.

Ok I'm in.  With that drawing I can do the machine work.  What actually retains the barrel in the forearm?  I'm not seeing on the drawing.  Are 18" Grendels going to be available through Brownell's?  Otherwise I'll order a .223 and just buy a BCG for 6.5 separately.

Understand completely your sales decisions.
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 11:44:30 AM EDT
[#27]
This is a boutique AR that I can get into.

Txl
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 11:52:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Kuraki] [#28]
Oh, wait, 13/16-16...

That's standard extension thread pitch right?

Brownells is selling Saturn 6.5 Grendel barrels with a bolt.  18" mid length gas.  So I could buy a 16" .223 FoldAR, and that Grendel barrel, and all I have to do is swap extensions and time/headspace after cutting to length.
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 1:06:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kuraki] [#29]
@jaqufrost here's my parts list.  Going on my SBR lower.  Orders placed.  Hoping I can reuse the .223 barrel. We'll see.

From Brownells

Attachment Attached File

From OpticsPlanet

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 1:08:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Very nice!  Figured out the muzzle device/suppressor side of it yet?

I'm thinking a Nomad with a Plan A/short comp might work well.
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 1:16:19 PM EDT
[#31]

Very nice!  Figured out the muzzle device/suppressor side of it yet?

I'm thinking a Nomad with a Plan A/short comp might work well.
View Quote
I'll probably spin one out for my Form 1 QD 30 cal.

Can't find a photo atm but here's a screenshot of the model.  It's a ratchet like AAC.

Attachment Attached File

However down the road here I will likely be making a shorter, lighter TI can that is QD on A2 flash hiders.
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 1:17:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Interesting.  1.5" OD?  Any clips on your baffles?
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 1:27:22 PM EDT
[#33]

Interesting.  1.5" OD?  Any clips on your baffles?
View Quote
Yes and yes they're clipped.  I don't know if crenulating the cones was worth the effort or not.

But I did actually have the opportunity to have this can professionally metered on a 16" .308 and 8" .300 blackout (subs) and it was pretty comparable to cans you can buy.  Cones aren't the best for subs IMO but I shoot subs the least anyway.  This mostly gets .308 and 6.5x55 shot out of it.
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 1:30:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 1:33:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kuraki] [#35]
Added photo of 12.5" barrel for comparison with the Maxim/FoldAR above.

The 12.5" was almost exactly to the back of the brace, so take away the extra .5" and add 1" for a short muzzle device, and you'll be just over the lower's length.
View Quote
Sweet!  Thanks Edward.

I can't wait to get this thing built.

Then find a case that'll hold the gun, optic, can and a mag or two.
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 2:46:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 10:02:42 PM EDT
[#37]
would rather see the model to be honest
Link Posted: 4/28/2019 8:59:04 PM EDT
[#38]
I saw this on Friday at NRAAM and was very impressed and Deadfoot arms was packed with people looking at it.   At first I thought it was a Dolos setup until I was shown otherwise.  Big thumbs up for this product.
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 10:31:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Received mine today.  I dunno what these humps are on the bottom face of the upper. Look like tool path error.
Attachment Attached File

But they won't allow the receiver to close and have to go away.   See how they're making contact with the lower above the mag well?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 10:33:44 PM EDT
[#40]
No problem it's only aluminum.

Attachment Attached File

Ok that's better.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 10:44:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Stupid phone. Lost a long post hitting back

Basically I'm reconsidering my plan and may just cut this barrel to 12" and build an SBR Grendel.

Lots of things to consider how to remediate to get the Faxon barrel in there.
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 11:29:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 11:34:28 PM EDT
[#43]

I guess you should have watched the video... those bumps are tensioners to prevent any wiggle between upper and lower. Just have to press upper and lower together...
View Quote
Not on my lower. It wasn't possible. I left them proud, so it's under tension, just in case that was intentional.  But I couldn't get them closed if I laid on it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 12:50:28 AM EDT
[#44]
Picked up 2 of these a couple weeks ago. a 9" .300 double fold and a 14.5" .223 wylde single fold. It's crazy how fast these deploy from a case or bag. I used a shot timer with the double fold and was always right under 10 seconds from zipped up bag to shot on target.

" />

The ACOG fit perfectly in the case it came in, could probably even fit a 1-6x24. I wanted to stay light because I thought the rifle would be heavy, but it's surprisingly light.

" />

Shoots pretty well too. I didn't have much time to set up targets or have a full range day, was just doing work at the ranch this weekend and only had an hour to get some trigger time. here's some groups while I was zeroing with bulk AE XM193 resting on the steering wheel of a polaris with 4x ACOG.

" />
" />
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 10:13:48 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 10:22:59 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By FoldAR:

We have started to see some of the uppers being too tight of a fit on some lowers.
We use only Aero's lowers and all our stuff fits on all their stuff.

But in these few cases of not fitting particular lowers (even when squeezing tight) here is what FoldAR suggests considering when contacting us:
-We will sell an Aero lower to our existing customers who are having a fit problem for $40 (they are normally $90). This offsets the shipping cost on an RMA that might not even be helpful.
-For customers who dont want the lower but still need a fix, we can swap the upper component with parts that are currently in production )which lowers the humps a little and lowers the rear takedown slot a little), in order to fit the other-branded tight lowers better. These wont be ready for another month or so.
View Quote
Understandable.

This lower is my oldest SBR lower and is tight with most uppers.  Now that Eforms is back I should just get a couple more Aero lowers registered as SBRs.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 12:44:07 AM EDT
[#47]
I have been looking at these for a little while.
I either am going to get a 16” double folder which I think equals a setup with a total length of right at 18” Os that true?
I have a 300 std. upper already and installed a laws tactical folder on it. But a 9inch 300 with a pistol receiver and brace may be doable. Currently I do not have a lower receiver designated as a pistol to use the short barrel setup
My secret wish is for a 10mm double folder with a brace- I do worry the brace decision could be revoked anytime and am a bit nervous about being left with a SBR and having to run it thru the F4 WAITING PERIOD. Ugh

So for everyone buying barrels for these that are under 16” ya’ll are all going to form 1 them to SBR-Is that correct?
I want to buy one of these that double fold, the latest iteration, that fires when folded.

Has the cracking of a few gas blocks been studied and changes made yet? That worries me most.
Can the FoldAR gas block be replaced with an adjustable gas block? IF so which would ya’ll recommend

Mark
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 8:59:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FoldAR] [#48]
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 9:01:49 PM EDT
[#49]
Well here's mine all buttoned up.  I stuck with the 223 barrel and just cut and threaded it so muzzle attachments bottom out on the crown.  At this length I had to open the gas port a bit.  But I like it, a lot.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 1:08:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: seattlephoto] [#50]
Hey I bought the 9inch 300 blk upper back in April. I really like it and run it on a custom registered SBR with a Surefire 300 SPS, a Geissele  sd-3g trigger, and JP silent capture spring H2 with bi tone red and black parts.

The big problem I ran into is that the upper wouldn't install on my 3 lowers. The back takedown pin wouldn't go in no matter what. I tried it on a Rainer Arms. smith M&P and a Serbu all registered SBRs lowers.

I got it to work on my Serbu lower by filing the upper rear take down. I still have to push down some on the upper for it to seat.

Im worried this might be bad in the long term. I guess after waiting 2 years to finish the build I was just in the zone to get it up and running before I moved and fire season shuts down shooting in the desert.

I've shot 100 rounds suppressed through the upper. Its never had a failure to function. It can cycle Hornady subsonic without the can.

What do yall think about the rear takedown slot on the upper?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » New AR Products
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top