Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 82
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 4:15:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ProfessorHorseyhead:
Welp.  Not really sure wtf is up with my rig but the 22" Criterion SBN from Brownells doesn't seem to want to shoot.  143 ELD handloads, American Gunner, and S&B Match all were 2+ MOA.  bout 150 or so rounds down the barrel, it should be fairly settled.

Aero mount, G1 PST 6-24, G2S-E.  Everything's tight and torqued properly.  it's the same with or without the muzzle brake/can mount, and with or without the can.

Harumph.  I don't wanna think Criterion put out a sub-par barrel, but I also was putting several handloads (53ELD-M over Varget, 75BTHP over TAC, 73ELD over 8208XBR) into 10-round sub-moa groups through my white oak varmint barreled small-frame build, so I'm fairly certain it wasn't me either.  
View Quote

Hopefully my Criterion barrel fairs out better
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 5:15:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By cone256:

Hopefully my Criterion barrel fairs out better
View Quote

From everything I've read *IF* this is the barrel, it's definitely a fluke

FWIW it *DID* clean up really quickly.

I have a few more things to check, gonna change out my handguard too just in case.  I've got a puzzle to solve now, so we'll see where it leads.  Try some different ammo/handloads when my next projectiles get here, and I got some H4350 off a (very generous) friend, so new powder, new bullets, new ammo, new handguard.  Maybe something will click.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.  
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 4:11:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Rezneck:

20" Nitride .308 bbl.    

It was cycling pretty hard. Kicking brass 15 feet @ 1:30 - 2:00. The front of the port and even the back edge of the rail was getting dinged with brass.   It would cycle 10 round P-mags but not 20 round D&H mags. The P-Mags have a stiffer spring than the D&H.  I installed a stiffer buffer spring and adjustable gas block and it seems to work fine now. I haven't had the time to really ring it out. yet.
View Quote

^^^^ I just got my 20" Criterion barreled M5 going, and it is doing the same as yours. Cycling hard, and throwing the brass the same. I have tried going to a rifle length buffer tube with a heavy spring and a rifle buffer with 5 tungsten weights in it. These changes have not helped it at all. Got an adjustable gas block coming to restrict the gas flow. I did check the port on the barrel when I first got it and it was the size it needed to be.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 7:45:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By cwmoss:

^^^^ I just got my 20" Criterion barreled M5 going, and it is doing the same as yours. Cycling hard, and throwing the brass the same. I have tried going to a rifle length buffer tube with a heavy spring and a rifle buffer with 5 tungsten weights in it. These changes have not helped it at all. Got an adjustable gas block coming to restrict the gas flow. I did check the port on the barrel when I first got it and it was the size it needed to be.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By cwmoss:
Originally Posted By Rezneck:

20" Nitride .308 bbl.    

It was cycling pretty hard. Kicking brass 15 feet @ 1:30 - 2:00. The front of the port and even the back edge of the rail was getting dinged with brass.   It would cycle 10 round P-mags but not 20 round D&H mags. The P-Mags have a stiffer spring than the D&H.  I installed a stiffer buffer spring and adjustable gas block and it seems to work fine now. I haven't had the time to really ring it out. yet.

^^^^ I just got my 20" Criterion barreled M5 going, and it is doing the same as yours. Cycling hard, and throwing the brass the same. I have tried going to a rifle length buffer tube with a heavy spring and a rifle buffer with 5 tungsten weights in it. These changes have not helped it at all. Got an adjustable gas block coming to restrict the gas flow. I did check the port on the barrel when I first got it and it was the size it needed to be.

@cwmoss

Just curious, what was the gas port size on your 20” barrel?  My 18” Criterion barrel was .075 with a digital caliper.  Not sure if that was an accurate measurement since it didn’t measure all the way through the gas port hole.

What adjustable gas block are you going with?

Any thoughts on the Superlative Arms gas blocks?
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 8:18:57 AM EDT
[#5]
I used SLR for my last M5 adjustable gas block with no issues.

Since trying the SA Bleedoff gas blocks, that's all I'm using for adjustable going forward. Positive clicks for adjustments are good. The bleed off option gives good control to reduce blowback for suppressed use, or just run conventional restricted.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 9:34:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Yojimbo:

@cwmoss 

Just curious, what was the gas port size on your 20” barrel?  My 18” Criterion barrel was .075 with a digital caliper.  Not sure if that was an accurate measurement since it didn’t measure all the way through the gas port hole.

What adjustable gas block are you going with?

Any thoughts on the Superlative Arms gas blocks?
View Quote

^^^^ My research found that a 5/64 drill bit was the size it needed to be, and the hole on my barrel was that size.
I am going with an Odin adjustable block.
Don't know anything about the Superlative one.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 7:45:31 PM EDT
[#7]
What is everyone's go to metal mags?
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 2:24:53 AM EDT
[#8]
D&H steel have run flawlessly for me. The ones with the neon green follower.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 2:28:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Probably a stupid question, would a KAC upper fit on an Aero lower?  I'd just buy a complete upper

I have a few extra M5 lowers
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 3:53:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Probably a stupid question, would a KAC upper fit on an Aero lower?  I'd just buy a complete upper

I have a few extra M5 lowers
View Quote

Nope
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 4:10:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Winniethepooh:

Nope
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Winniethepooh:
Probably a stupid question, would a KAC upper fit on an Aero lower?  I'd just buy a complete upper

I have a few extra M5 lowers

Nope

Welp guess I'll just build my own
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 4:13:29 PM EDT
[#12]

Link Posted: 5/4/2020 4:21:51 PM EDT
[#13]
308 did it’s job. But damn, large frame gets heavy quick.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 5:01:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 6:21:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By eric10mm:
What? No Aero Precision barrel?  
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By eric10mm:
What? No Aero Precision barrel?  

I did pretty much the same thing but I got a Criterion barrel and SLR gas block
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 3:46:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Got my scope in, PST Gen II 3-15.  Stole the 1.93 Geissele mount from my Razor 1-6.  Hoping to take it to the range on Saturday.

Link Posted: 5/6/2020 7:43:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Getting some things together for my M5 build.  Have a ballistic advantage barrel on order and was thinking about getting a BCG next but wanted to make sure which ones were compatible.  Sticking with an Aero M5 upper as well.   So what are some higher end BCG that will work well with the M5 uppers?
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 8:08:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By rjp2244:
Getting some things together for my M5 build.  Have a ballistic advantage barrel on order and was thinking about getting a BCG next but wanted to make sure which ones were compatible.  Sticking with an Aero M5 upper as well.   So what are some higher end BCG that will work well with the M5 uppers?
View Quote

All of the ones that are DPMS compatible .308 size.

Seriously take your pick.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 9:27:43 PM EDT
[#19]
I like Toolcraft.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 12:32:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Getting some things together for my M5 build.  Have a ballistic advantage barrel on order and was thinking about getting a BCG next but wanted to make sure which ones were compatible.  Sticking with an Aero M5 upper as well.   So what are some higher end BCG that will work well with the M5 uppers?
View Quote

Back on page 56 or 57 somebody suggested to me a Brownells BCG. I just pulled the trigger on one tonight.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 9:35:26 AM EDT
[#21]

Hopefully my Criterion barrel fairs out better
View Quote

For an update, I headed back out yesterday with some handloads (120TTSX, 123SST, 140 Gold Dots all over H4350) and the remainder of my factory ammo.  First volley with Hornady AG was atrocious, almost 4.5" at 100.

Then I popped in some S&B 140FMJBT, that closed up to about 1.5".  So on a whim I threw another 5 in the mag and it closed up to just over MOA.

Handloads finally dipped below the magic inch, mostly.  Some were slightly over but it looks like this is starting to finally settle in.

Have heavier ELDs and Bergers on the way, although allah knows when they'll actually ship.  Grafs isn't exactly top of the pops when it comes to communication.  

So, some good news I suppose.  Even though the suppressor carbon-locked onto it and I cleared the range with my 12" Grendel shortly after.  
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 11:56:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Well good news/bad news.  Good news is its cycling.  Bad news is I couldnt hit paper.  I think my problem is that I'm using a 1.93" Geissele mount so its sitting way too high.  I think I have some Seekins rings laying around that'll have it sit much lower.  More good news, the Geissele mount can go back on my 14.5 AR
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 5:18:15 PM EDT
[#23]
I had a build that was shooting 12MOA, admittedly M80 ball, but still.  Other barrels with same ammo did much better that day.  Anyways, disassembled, reassembled a 2nd time much more meticulously, shimmed barrel to upper, but very careful about muzzle device torque.  got it to 1MOA, yes, better ammo 168gr SMK also.  I think 1st time, muzzle device was over-torqued, affected crown.  for me, lesson learned.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 6:10:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By rpoL98:
I had a build that was shooting 12MOA, admittedly M80 ball, but still.  Other barrels with same ammo did much better that day.  Anyways, disassembled, reassembled a 2nd time much more meticulously, shimmed barrel to upper, but very careful about muzzle device torque.  got it to 1MOA, yes, better ammo 168gr SMK also.  I think 1st time, muzzle device was over-torqued, affected crown.  for me, lesson learned.  YMMV.
View Quote

I was shooting Hornady 140gr A-Max's (yes I still have some of those left)
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 9:34:42 AM EDT
[#25]

I was shooting Hornady 140gr A-Max's (yes I still have some of those left)
View Quote

I found almost 400 162-grain 7mm AMAX last week.  
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 11:59:34 PM EDT
[#26]
I’ve searched through the thread a few times and can’t seem to find it, but I recall there being some discussion about Aero bolt catches breaking at a pretty frequent rate.

Was wondering what compatible replacement was decided upon as being the best replacement?
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 9:02:06 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By RJeff21:
I’ve searched through the thread a few times and can’t seem to find it, but I recall there being some discussion about Aero bolt catches breaking at a pretty frequent rate. 

Was wondering what compatible replacement was decided upon as being the best replacement?
View Quote

I've been told that the DPMS LR-308 bolt catch is good to go.  I got one as a spare for if/when my Aero M5 bolt catch breaks.  I've also heard that Aero may have fixed this issue for the newer lower parts kits but can not confirm.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1003326297?pid=215764

Link Posted: 5/11/2020 11:59:45 AM EDT
[#28]

I've been told that the DPMS LR-308 bolt catch is good to go.  I got one as a spare for if/when my Aero M5 bolt catch breaks.  I've also heard that Aero may have fixed this issue for the newer lower parts kits but can not confirm.

View All Quotes
I’ve searched through the thread a few times and can’t seem to find it, but I recall there being some discussion about Aero bolt catches breaking at a pretty frequent rate. 

Was wondering what compatible replacement was decided upon as being the best replacement?

I've been told that the DPMS LR-308 bolt catch is good to go.  I got one as a spare for if/when my Aero M5 bolt catch breaks.  I've also heard that Aero may have fixed this issue for the newer lower parts kits but can not confirm.

Thanks.  Now just trying to figure out which 16” barrel to go with.  Anyone else producing decently accurate CL barrels besides Criterion?

Also, has anyone used a CustomTune gas block or restricted port Gas Tube from BRT on their .308 guns?  This rifle will be shot both suppressed and unsuppressed, but I’m not the biggest fan of AGBs, especially with a not easily removable handguard, and was thinking of going this route once I get appropriate port sizes figured out.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 1:40:53 AM EDT
[#29]

View Quote

Making sure the space between the bolt face and the bolt catch isn't too large helps prevent breakage too.

With the BCG pulled back fully (bottomed out in the buffer tube), there should be no more than 1/10" to 1/8" between the bolt face and the rear of the bolt catch. If there's more than that the BCG has more time to accelerate forward and the extra inertia snaps the catch.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 9:31:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Anyone ever have issues running the radian raptor ambi charging handles on their m5 uppers?
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 9:51:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Anyone ever have issues running the radian raptor ambi charging handles on their m5 uppers?
View Quote

I am using one and it works fine.  No problem and better than a stock one especially under my scope.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 7:28:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Anyone ever have issues running the radian raptor ambi charging handles on their m5 uppers?
View Quote

Nope. But then again Radian is part of the Aero family, as is Ballistic Advantage.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 4:49:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Welp, parts are ordered, been sitting on these M5 receivers for a few years, so about time I did something with them.  

A little late now, but anyone have experience with the Seekins Precision dual ejector BCG?  I’ve always had good luck with Seekins stuff, so hopefully it works well.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 11:48:08 AM EDT
[#34]
Sorry if this had been covered, I’m still working through the thread. My wife just bought me a M5 lower, and I’m new to .308 ARs. What is the preferred barrel for the role of a lighter weight carbine? I am looking at Faxon’s offerings right now, leaning towards a .308 pencil profile.

I have a precision rifle, but I don’t have a fairly light “battle rifle,” so that’s sort of what I’m going for. I would like to have something that weights less than my FAL without a sacrifice of reliability, or a severe sacrifice of accuracy.

Also, it seems like Toolcraft is the “standard” BCG, is that an accurate assessment?

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 1:04:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Nameless_Hobo:
Sorry if this had been covered, I’m still working through the thread. My wife just bought me a M5 lower, and I’m new to .308 ARs. What is the preferred barrel for the role of a lighter weight carbine? I am looking at Faxon’s offerings right now, leaning towards a .308 pencil profile. 
View All Quotes
Sorry if this had been covered, I’m still working through the thread. My wife just bought me a M5 lower, and I’m new to .308 ARs. What is the preferred barrel for the role of a lighter weight carbine? I am looking at Faxon’s offerings right now, leaning towards a .308 pencil profile. 

That'll do the job very nicely, and shoot pretty dang well to boot.

Also, it seems like Toolcraft is the “standard” BCG, is that an accurate assessment? 

Indeed it is.  Although if you wanted, you could grab a JP low-mass to fit in with the lightweight theme.  Recoil would likely be softer as well.  Just make sure you have an adjustable gas block if you go that route....test fire fully closed, then open it a click or two at a time until the BCG locks back on an empty mag (one round in the mag at a time obviously).
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 5:59:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By ProfessorHorseyhead:

That'll do the job very nicely, and shoot pretty dang well to boot.

Indeed it is.  Although if you wanted, you could grab a JP low-mass to fit in with the lightweight theme.  Recoil would likely be softer as well.  Just make sure you have an adjustable gas block if you go that route....test fire fully closed, then open it a click or two at a time until the BCG locks back on an empty mag (one round in the mag at a time obviously).
View Quote

Cool, thanks for the info. Is there any issue with reliability with a LW carrier in large frame guns? I was considering using an adjustable block anyway, because I want to stick a can on it, so that wouldn't be a problem.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 6:51:51 PM EDT
[#37]

I have a precision rifle, but I don’t have a fairly light “battle rifle,” so that’s sort of what I’m going for. I would like to have something that weights less than my FAL without a sacrifice of reliability, or a severe sacrifice of accuracy. 

Also, it seems like Toolcraft is the “standard” BCG, is that an accurate assessment? 

Thanks
View Quote

you might also consider the Faxon Gunner barrel, just a tad bit more robustness, not much more weight.  I have a Faxon 16" 308 Big Gunner that is lighter than my 14.5" Criterion barrel.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 7:52:50 PM EDT
[#38]

Cool, thanks for the info. Is there any issue with reliability with a LW carrier in large frame guns? I was considering using an adjustable block anyway, because I want to stick a can on it, so that wouldn't be a problem.
View Quote

As long as you're paying attention to stuff (always start with gas closed and slowly open it) you should be fine.  If you start with full gas with a lightweight setup, you run the risk of being overgassed and carrier colliding with the receiver extension area on the lower.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 9:27:44 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By rpoL98:

you might also consider the Faxon Gunner barrel, just a tad bit more robustness, not much more weight.  I have a Faxon 16" 308 Big Gunner that is lighter than my 14.5" Criterion barrel.
View Quote

I have the same barrel and am happy with it. I used a standard Toolcraft BCG and Aero Hand guard for the build and find the weight to be tolerable.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 9:28:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Anybody have a quick link to a good lower assembly video?
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 3:54:59 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By costanza:
Anybody have a quick link to a good lower assembly video?
View Quote

Pretty much the same as a standard lower.

Are you having an issue?
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 12:58:15 PM EDT
[#42]
The rear takedown pin/spring/detent is different enough that it's giving me pause. It looks like the hole is threaded, and in my mind there's no way the spring/detent and threaded piece can all fit in it.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 1:11:18 PM EDT
[#43]
The rear takedown pin/spring/detent is different enough that it's giving me pause. It looks like the hole is threaded, and in my mind there's no way the spring/detent and threaded piece can all fit in it.
View Quote

clip the srping a few loops at a time and it will all fit
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 2:50:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Done! Just added the XTRii 3-15 in a Badger 20moa mount. At some point I'll get it to a range, damn covid!

Link Posted: 5/17/2020 7:48:04 PM EDT
[#45]
The rear takedown pin/spring/detent is different enough that it's giving me pause. It looks like the hole is threaded, and in my mind there's no way the spring/detent and threaded piece can all fit in it.
View Quote

There should be a set screw to retain the rear takedown detent and spring.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 7:51:00 PM EDT
[#46]
View Quote

if you're using the set screw to retain the spring, clip the spring appx 75% the length of the threaded set screw.  ballpark.

then you push down on the set screw to jam it all in there, while turning the allen wrench to engage the threads.  Set screw face should be flush.  it's a lot easier if you have a allen hex screw driver instead of the "L" shaped key.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 9:14:33 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Rbass:
Done! Just added the XTRii 3-15 in a Badger 20moa mount. At some point I'll get it to a range, damn covid! 

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ht0nh57s7jq2r8r/AR308Right-1.jpg?dl=0
View Quote

Very nice!  Now we need some details on your rifle...
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 11:20:47 PM EDT
[#48]
Very nice!  Now we need some details on your rifle...
View Quote

Thanks! The main parts are posted back on page 56, but cliff notes is it is the JP LMOS system with an SSA-E trigger.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 11:36:12 AM EDT
[#49]
And it begins.

Attachment Attached File

ETA:  Still waiting on a few more parts, mainly URX 4 shims and my upper assembly fixture.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 2:18:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 82
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top