User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 11:48:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Someone needs to go buy the one I bid on...lol

I love the my Colt Socom barrel...I don't need this... but for dibs reason I bid on it.

@TGWLDR help a brother out! Lol
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 12:04:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I love the my Colt Socom barrel...I don't need this... but for dibs reason I bid on it.

View Quote

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/987686525

.   aaaaaaannnnnd gone!
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 12:55:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've got my own demons to fight off man.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 2:19:09 PM EDT
[#5]
I got my R4 upper today. Looks great and I'm very happy with it based on appearances. The barrel looks "nicer" than the 2 Rem SOCOM barrels I got at CDNN back in 20'. The park finish looks just a bit more even and  it has the "REP" and "M" stamp on the barrel that my other two didn't have. I know some received barrels that had those markings a few years ago but alas mine did not.

My bolt is marked "MP" and it came with a legit firing pin.

Also, I've never seen this forge mark before, I'm assuming its a more stylized Brass and Aluminum Enterprises?

I don't know if it's just a matter of getting old or what, but I'm finding myself attracted to builds with these basic uppers more than the modern stuff.  Trying to not pick up another one of these.....
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 3:13:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I got my R4 upper today. Looks great and I'm very happy with it based on appearances. The barrel looks "nicer" than the 2 Rem SOCOM barrels I got at CDNN back in 20'. The park finish looks just a bit more even and  it has the "REP" and "M" stamp on the barrel that my other two didn't have. I know some received barrels that had those markings a few years ago but alas mine did not.

https://i.ibb.co/wz5pg9b/IMG-20230519-140121786-HDR.jpg

Also, I've never seen this forge mark before, I'm assuming its a more stylized Brass and Aluminum Enterprises?

https://i.ibb.co/NmbXzB2/IMG-20230519-140006567.jpg

I don't know if it's just a matter of getting old or what, but I'm finding myself attracted to builds with these basic uppers more than the modern stuff.  Trying to not pick up another one of these.....
View Quote

Does the upper receiver have an, "R" stamped on the take down pin lug?
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 3:14:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

No, it does not.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 3:49:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

No, it does not.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, it does not.

Thanks for the reply.

My new Remington Defense uppers from CDNN are marked with an, "R."
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 4:17:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

You get a functional firing pin and proper bolt.  I buy four and help the seller move a bunch of these and for my efforts get: 2 broken firing pins, 1 broken charging handle, 2 semi-auto carriers, and 0 MP marked bolts.  

My gun luck is legendary.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 4:20:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

You get a functional firing pin and proper bolt.  I buy four and help the seller move a bunch of these and for my efforts get: 2 broken firing pins, 1 broken charging handle, 2 semi-auto carriers, and 0 MP marked bolts.  

My gun luck is legendary.
View Quote

Well, if it makes you feel any better any of the lowers I wanted to put this on result in a sloppy fit.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 8:09:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Well, if it makes you feel any better any of the lowers I wanted to put this on result in a sloppy fit.
View Quote

It actually doesn’t.  I figured I was taking one (I.e. a dozen) for the team, haha.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 10:53:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

.   aaaaaaannnnnd gone!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

.   aaaaaaannnnnd gone!

Link Posted: 5/19/2023 11:02:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Everything I've seen points to Mueller Brass. Although I cannot confirm/deny.

And definitely not sure why Mueller would have more than 1 marking in use.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 11:27:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Everything I've seen points to Mueller Brass. Although I cannot confirm/deny.

And definitely not sure why Mueller would have more than 1 marking in use.
View Quote

Ditto.  Mueller Brass.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 11:34:39 AM EDT
[#15]
There is a difference between Mueller BRASS and Mueller INDUSTRIES.

Mueller Brass has collaborated with many companies.  For example C MB is Colt / Mueller Brass.  FMB is FN / Mueller Brass.

Mueller Brass is a quality forging.  Mueller Industries (the M with crown symbol) is the least preferred / most complained about I’ve seen.  

My understanding is the “b in a diamond” is MB without a collaboration.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 11:53:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Mueller Brass has collaborated with many companies.  For example C MB is Colt / Mueller Brass.  FMB is FN / Mueller Brass.

Mueller Brass is a quality forging.  Mueller Industries (the M with crown symbol) is the least preferred / most complained about I’ve seen.  

My understanding is the “b in a diamond” is MB without a collaboration.
View Quote

Interesting! Thanks Gary!
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 1:01:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I'm not sure what it is.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 8:15:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 7:57:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Got my complete upper in today and it looks great. Barrel marks and proof stamps all visible and look good. Bolt is MP marked and firing pin is functional and has the correct protrusion length. I think I’m going to turn mine into an M4A1 Block II clone with a DD RIS III FSP handguard.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 3:33:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Should have bought more of the 11.5" barrels when they were being blown out. The one I have is nice. Think it was $120 maybe.

Link Posted: 5/23/2023 4:32:55 PM EDT
[#21]
It would appear that FEDEX lost all four of my uppers en route to ADCO for the P/W.  

I shipped from Indiana.  The uppers have been to ...

Champaign, IL
Wood River, NE
Carr, CO
North Salt Lake, UT
Golconda, NV
Sparks, NV
Tracy, CA

The trail goes cold when they hit CA.

ADCO is located in Ohio (borders Indiana) about 3 hours from where I shipped on 5/18/23.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 4:33:26 PM EDT
[#22]
I told you my gun luck is legendary.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 4:56:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I told you my gun luck is legendary.
View Quote

Dang, you're not kidding! That's some BS. Hope they all turn up.

ETA, next time just send to John Thomas at Retro Arms Works . He's in Warsaw, Indiana and does great work. Had him do a P/W and Cut/Crown.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 9:39:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 7:48:16 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
It would appear that FEDEX lost all four of my uppers en route to ADCO for the P/W.  

Champaign, IL
Wood River, NE
Carr, CO
North Salt Lake, UT
Golconda, NV
Sparks, NV
Tracy, CA

ADCO is located in Ohio (borders Indiana) about 3 hours from where I shipped on 5/18/23.
View Quote

Wow, wtf
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 8:15:19 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Wow, wtf
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Champaign, IL
Wood River, NE
Carr, CO
North Salt Lake, UT
Golconda, NV
Sparks, NV
Tracy, CA

Wow, wtf

Yes.  It is not officially "lost".
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 4:32:07 PM EDT
[#27]
My uppers have been "found" but now are scheduled for delivery "no earlier than" May 30th with a probable date of June 2nd.  That would mean they were in transit for 16 days when they had a total of 3 hours of distance to cover.

Link Posted: 5/24/2023 4:36:17 PM EDT
[#28]
My R4 SOCOM Uppers are getting a tour of the United States courtesy of the moronic douche bagels at FEDEX ...

DESTINATION: Ohio
ORIGINATION LOCATION: Indiana

For those challenged by geography .. they should have gone EAST ... but ...

HANDED TO FEDEX in Indiana ... then ...

Champaign, IL
Wood River, NE
Carr, CO
North Salt Lake, UT
Golconda, NV
Sparks, NV
Tracy, CA
Tracy, CA

Why Tracy CA twice you ask?  They left there today and then were returned and placed back on "DELAY" as of a minute ago.

My gun luck is ...

LEGEND
DARY

Maybe I should start collecting Power Ranger trading cards or Sponge Bob memorabilia.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 8:13:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
My R4 SOCOM Uppers are getting a tour of the United States courtesy of the moronic douche bagels at FEDEX ...

DESTINATION: Ohio
ORIGINATION LOCATION: Indiana

For those challenged by geography .. they should have gone EAST ... but ...

HANDED TO FEDEX in Indiana ... then ...

Champaign, IL
Wood River, NE
Carr, CO
North Salt Lake, UT
Golconda, NV
Sparks, NV
Tracy, CA
Tracy, CA

Why Tracy CA twice you ask?  They left there today and then were returned and placed back on "DELAY" as of a minute ago.

My gun luck is ...

LEGEND
DARY

Maybe I should start collecting Power Ranger trading cards or Sponge Bob memorabilia.
View Quote

Note to self, never use Fed Ex ever again.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 8:15:30 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 10:42:07 AM EDT
[#31]
The road trip continues ...

Indiana
Champaign, IL
Wood River, NE
Carr, CO
North Salt Lake, UT
Golconda, NV
Sparks, NV
Tracy, CA
Tracy, CA
Wells, NV

Link Posted: 5/25/2023 11:26:30 AM EDT
[#32]
where would someone find one of those uppers for sale ?
PM me. thanks.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 11:36:23 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
where would someone find one of those uppers for sale ?
PM me. thanks.
View Quote

@ImpacTT

https://jfeusa.com/remington-14-5-complete-upper-kit-military-contract/
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 12:20:13 PM EDT
[#34]

Should have mine today.  For what it’s worth, $25 more than the opening bids on Gunbroker, but the JFE website didn’t hit me for sales tax.  Pretty sure GB hits you for tax. Shipping was ~$40.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 1:17:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Should have mine today.  For what it’s worth, $25 more than the opening bids on Gunbroker, but the JFE website didn’t hit me for sales tax.  Pretty sure GB hits you for tax. Shipping was ~$40.
View Quote

GB does add sales tax and an additional 1% "compliance fee".
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 2:12:23 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Another set of data points based on what I received. I’ll start with the bad and get that out of the way. The kit on JFE’s website shows an M4 stock, a buffer, and a buffer spring.  I did not receive any of those three.  Their Gunbroker ad showing the same kit states those are included.  I’ve left a voicemail and sent an order message.  I hope they make it right and send what’s missing…no reason at this point to think they won’t. The value in the p&s stock an a quality H2 buffer were part of the overall appeal of the kit to me.  Now the rest…

The receiver was Cerro (keyhole), and while not painted white, it does have T marks.  It’s got the R on the rear lug and the number inside the receiver.  Charging handle has the S.  All good there.

BCG is staked well, and the bolt is MP marked.  Barrel looks great but was probably not intended for Philippines.  No AFP serial number, and the only proof mark is a lightly struck M.  I’m not torn up by this, as the whole upper looks brand new.  

The damn box they shipped it in may be one of the most interesting pieces. It’s literally the Remington labeled box for a complete R4 rifle, serial number and all.  And I don’t mean a civilian version.   The original QC check sheet was still there, and it was dated a week or less before the last bankruptcy filing that was the nail in the coffin (sept 2020).   There’s another sticker dated December 2020 which I don’t understand…they should have been done conducting business by then.  So here’s my theory…

My guess is the kit uppers were complete, full auto rifles destined for the second, non-AFP foreign mil. sales contract that gets referenced (see the link in previous posts showing the Iraqi deliveries).   I bet these were built for more deliveries, Remington went tits up in September, and the rifles were sent in December to JFE/Gun Repair Center to de-mil and destroy the full auto lowers. These two companies are somehow intertwined and have a long relationship being an authorized repair center for Remington.  I could see them being trusted to oversee something like that.  After killing the lowers, they were left with the kits to sell.

I’m not sure what direction I’m going with this upper. It’s neat…no regrets as long as the missing parts get sorted.  I’m not that impressed with the MFT TEKKO. It seems solid…until you mess with it next to a RAS.  Then the opinion of the MFT changes greatly and not in a good way.  If I want to stay clone, it’s got to stay.  If I just want a good shooter, I’ve got a foreign spec RAS laying around somewhere I could throw on it.  As far as receiver fit, it’s average to good on my NFA lower.  It’s looser on the virgin lower I was thinking of building out for this if I do a pin/weld.  I’m going to think on it before I get in any big hurry.  I like oddball stuff though, and I’m happy to have it in the collection.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 3:12:23 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 8:27:22 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Vendors at SHOT used to be required to do that, since they obviously couldn't just remove the firing pins from display rifles but had to make the rifles nonfunctional in their display form.

Is this something widespread, throughout a lot of these uppers for sale? Or just on the OP's two?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Destroyed the firing pins for no reason...unless used for drill purposes prior to selling I can't think of why that was necessary.

Vendors at SHOT used to be required to do that, since they obviously couldn't just remove the firing pins from display rifles but had to make the rifles nonfunctional in their display form.

Is this something widespread, throughout a lot of these uppers for sale? Or just on the OP's two?

Mine had a functional firing pin, FWIW.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 11:33:42 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

If anyone was going to get a problem product it is always going to be me.

Of the four uppers I bought ...

2 had bad firing pins
1 had broken charging handle
0 had MP marked bolts
2 had semi-auto bolt carriers
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 11:35:41 AM EDT
[#40]

Indiana
Champaign, IL
Wood River, NE
Carr, CO
North Salt Lake, UT
Golconda, NV
Sparks, NV
Tracy, CA
Tracy, CA
Wells, NV
Sidney, NE
Tiffin, IA
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 3:41:34 PM EDT
[#41]
I picked up a complete upper and one of the SOCOM Remington barrels.  Both are ready for the pin and weld.  I'm just planning on driving to ADCO tomorrow to get it done.  They said I could drop them off, go do something for an hour or so and they'd be ready for pick-up.  

We'll see if that holds true.  I'm only an hour away from them and if I have to go back, no big deal and I avoid OP's fun with FedEx.  
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 10:14:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 11:43:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Mine arrived as described in the JFE webpage ad. And I will add, it arrived very promptly.
It also came in the leftover R4 Remington Defense box, kind of interesting by itself. And, frankly makes sense, everything was still packed in its provided space.
Mine was also fired, the bore needs to be cleaned, the tail of the bolt had the bluish / green signs of copper on one half of it.

Firing pin was intact, and visually protruding into the bolt face when pushed.. IE functional.
The R4 owners manual was also unique ( to me ) It says to lube every month.
Sling is about as basic as ever.
Buffer face is marked H2.
The cleaning kit was "USGI"ish, but the bag was marked with a tag inside "Made in China"
Upper is marked with Keyhole Forge
Bolt has MP stamped on it.
Carrier has no markings on it. Gas key stacking is GTG.
Charging handle has the same "S"..... however I have seen a "P" as well.
Upper is internally marked in the same place, except... 2T6931
Top of barrel is marked same as the OP's.  REM over 5.56 NATO 1/7... however, there is no marking on the bottom, NO AFP.... no big deal to me.   There is a "P" on top by the chamber end, directly below the gas tube.

Strictly based on the above, I am quite happy.

Sent it out to get a flash hider P/W in place.

I am going to put a Primary Arms SLx on top of it, and change the handguards to the Midwest industries Carbine Two Piece AR15 Free Float M-LOK Handguard ( I have never liked the quad rail setup on any AR )
View Quote

Thanks for confirming that they’re still shipping with the buffer/stock/spring.  I haven’t heard back yet, but I’m sure they’re on a long holiday weekend.  
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 10:31:15 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 7:43:50 PM EDT
[#45]
Heads up on these R4 uppers; check your extractor! I had some time today to inspect the BCG a little better and found this:

I thought it looked suspicious so I put the bcg in one of my 16" uppers and tried putting a mag though. Just as I suspected, no extraction right out of the gate!
I tried removing the extractor and it was was so tight in the extractor cavity I had to pry it out with a small flat head. The extractor is clearly out of spec. The crazy thing is my upper appears to have been test fired...no way this wouldn't have shown up as a problem. Oh well, new extractor installed.
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 8:16:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

@hollowpoint2003

If you are trying to build a "clone" correct, I would be willing to send you my buffer , recoil spring and Stock. Especially if JFE doesn't have the spare parts.

I was mostly interested in the upper itself. That danged SOCOM profile barrel is just to good to be true. Lol
View Quote

I appreciate that, but I’ll let them take care of it.  They’re still selling the buffer/stock/spring combo as a stand alone on GB. So I assume they have some.  

I shot it today.  Threw a carry handle sight off of a Colt on it.  Needs a good 15 clicks left to dial zero, but it’s accurate…typical of a good M4A1 barrel.
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 8:41:20 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Heads up on these R4 uppers; check your extractor! I had some time today to inspect the BCG a little better and found this:

https://i.ibb.co/tp1LKcg/IMG-20230527-174646247-2.jpg

I thought it looked suspicious so I put the bcg in one of my 16" uppers and tried putting a mag though. Just as I suspected, no extraction right out of the gate!
I tried removing the extractor and it was was so tight in the extractor cavity I had to pry it out with a small flat head. The extractor is clearly out of spec. The crazy thing is my upper appears to have been test fired...no way this wouldn't have shown up as a problem. Oh well, new extractor installed.
View Quote

I think we’re seeing enough issues to assume you’re just buying the upper.  All of the issues are related to the BCG/CH.  
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 8:53:56 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Yeah, I remember that.  I also bought two for that price, figured I'd build them into swappable uppers for my M16 and mag dump the s*** out of them so who cares if they're any good.  Took me a while to build them out, then when I saw how they shot I kicked myself right around the block for not buying a couple more at that price.  They're still holding up very well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The amount of butt hurt the 14.5" R4 barrels from CDNN caused on this board was great.  The guys sayiing don't buy that junk were eating crow for a while.  I bought two at like $99 per.  great barrels.
Yeah, I remember that.  I also bought two for that price, figured I'd build them into swappable uppers for my M16 and mag dump the s*** out of them so who cares if they're any good.  Took me a while to build them out, then when I saw how they shot I kicked myself right around the block for not buying a couple more at that price.  They're still holding up very well.

Same with the cheap Bushy barrels from CDNN, which are probably actually the same blanks, if not the same exact barrels. Maybe it was just luck, but despite all the things that Bushmaster (and then freedom group) did wrong, their barrels were generally far better than the price point suggested.

I think the lowest price I got on one was $79.99. Had I only known, I'd have a box full of spares.
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 9:55:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 10:08:19 PM EDT
[#50]
Mine came with a broken ejector

Edit: and no R on the lug and no T marks anywhere
Page / 5
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top