BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 127
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 4:39:32 PM EDT
[#1]
What are your impressions so far on St Croix vs Red-X?

If you could only pick one, which would it be and why?

I am too waiting for the Spikes, but may end up with one of these as an interim soution.
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 5:17:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lohe] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Nada-Nada:
What are your impressions so far on St Croix vs Red-X?

If you could only pick one, which would it be and why?

I am too waiting for the Spikes, but may end up with one of these as an interim soution.
View Quote

The SCT has a mpi c158 bolt  and regular phosphate gas key

The redxarms has a 9310 also claims mpi on web site and a nickelbor on gas key

Both stacked good.

The carriers look 100% identical SCT laser engraved logo on there and redxarms bolt has a X in it.

So for the price and nickel boron gas key I would go with the redxarms   And it's a toss up on the bolt. Some say 9130 is better some say 158 I think 158 is stronger

Edit: noticed you don't have weight for magpul ASAP plate it's  1.3oz

Magpul BUIS front  1.1oz

Primary arms red dot with riser 6.4 oz

Geissele 13" mod4 (before key mod) 12.9oz

Seekins 13" SAR 14.1oz

Seekins 7" SAR 9.2oz

Magpul Moe carbine 6.8oz no delta ring ect

Magpul moe mid length 8.8oz

Standard plastic caribe hand guard 5.3oz

Magpul BAD lever 0.2oz

Palmetto state armory 16" ltw mid length barrel 23.2 oz

(Final got my scale out and have a lot of builds going on so weighing as much stuff as I can think of.)

Link Posted: 3/27/2014 9:08:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: krichbaum] [#3]
If you're still looking for these:

LWRC compact stock 226g
LWRC ultra compact stock 208g

A few more weights on my list that could be of interest here:
MOE milspec stock w/standard buttpad 234g
MOE milspec stock no buttpad 198g --------->very usable and light without buttpad
MOE midlength handguards 246g
MOE carbine handguards 192g
Standard midlength handguards w/single heat shield 168g
VTAC TRX Extreme 11" handguard w/ barrel nut 320g
Inforce WML single mode light 86g
Surefire X300U light 116g
DD 16" midlength lightweigh CHF barrel 22oz (sorry I didn't get that one in grams so accuracy of weight isn't as good)
Aimpoint Micro in Larue mount with lever (version with lower third co-witness) 165g
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 12:00:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 12:17:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By LMTRocks:
I took some photos of the parts that I used when I did a LW build last year.

<a href="http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8418/8708317801_a2139aea72_b.jpg" target="_blank">http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8418/8708317801_a2139aea72_b.jpg</a>

I recall a SOPMOD stock being about 11oz on this scale I used.

I'm going to be doing another LW build for my lady and I, and as I get parts in I will do individual weights for all the parts.  I will be using 2 of the integral triggerguard Anderson lowers and the Anderson LPK with a Fortis QD endplate and Ergo grips.  She liked that grip better than the Magpul MOE+ so Ergo it is.

View Quote

how much weight did milling that square out of the mag well save?  Did you just do that side only?
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 12:28:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Lohe:

Got these in the carriers look identical they each used different gas key and bolts

It's does weigh 5.6oz stripped.  

Put it in the scale today 162 grams with just gas key. 220 complete or 7.7 oz and 5.7oz with just gas key.

So looks like the spikes titanium with the material removed is going to be 20 grams lighter but they haven't put there's in production yet. The spikes one is also supposed to have a sleeve where the bolt rides IIRC.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
http://shop.redxarms.com/RED-X-ARMS-TITANIUM-M16-STYLE-BOLT-CARRIER-GROUP-223-556-TITANIUMBCG.htm

Titanium BCG

.488lbs or 7.808 OZ (Manufacture weight)  I just ordered one

And just ordered this one as well...

http://www.stcroixtactical.com/collections/ar15/products/sct-titanium-bolt-carrier-group-ar15-m16

Claim of .35lbs or 5.6oz

Got these in the carriers look identical they each used different gas key and bolts

It's does weigh 5.6oz stripped.  

Well I just ordered from red X I will most likely get a spikes also but figured I would try/check this one out. Also picked up a couple uppers from them.

Put it in the scale today 162 grams with just gas key. 220 complete or 7.7 oz and 5.7oz with just gas key.

So looks like the spikes titanium with the material removed is going to be 20 grams lighter but they haven't put there's in production yet. The spikes one is also supposed to have a sleeve where the bolt rides IIRC.

yeah, I dint' get why they didn't make the tail of those titanium carriers smaller, or skelietanize it more or something.  If you gonna go up river, you go all the way right?
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 12:20:08 PM EDT
[#7]
I put a billet set on the scale yesterday

The upper  is 5.95 oz stripped, no forward assist
Lower is 6.60 oz stripped

I am affiliated with the company though, so I don't think I can tell much about it without getting snuffed out by ARF.  

Link Posted: 3/30/2014 1:52:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Is it Tactical Innovations? I have a Tactical Innovations billet lower. It's really nice, although I wish the trigger guard was a little smoother.
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 12:22:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By djkest:
Is it Tactical Innovations? I have a Tactical Innovations billet lower. It's really nice, although I wish the trigger guard was a little smoother.
View Quote

Nope....   We are waiting on our industry status, and then we can pimp our wares.
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 12:38:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Lohe] [#10]
We should add lights to the list I want to find a good light weight light if it has IR as well huge +
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 11:20:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: hipower90] [#11]
I agree concerning lights. I've always hated heavy ARs, going back to my old SP1 I bought new in 78. Still have it. Without losing function, I've tried to go as light as reasonably possible(w/o breaking the bank) for my light systems since they make a huge impact on swing weight and overall balance. Top light is a 5.11 Atac L1(uses 1 CR123). 3 Multi function. Bright(173lums, 94 meters, 2 hr), dim, strobe. Weight was 2.7oz i think. Lower light is the Streamlight Pro Tac 1(also uses 1 CR123). Same functions and specs. 173 lums. Its just over 2oz. The Elzetta mounts weigh 2.8oz with hardware. So either runs about 5-5.5oz total. Both lights are inexpensive too, with both running around $48 ea. The Streamlight was from Midway, but forget where the 5.11 came from.

Link Posted: 3/31/2014 3:11:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: djkest] [#12]
The Mag Tactical "Viper" lightweight muzzle brake claims 1 oz. If it is in fact 1.0 ounces, it would be the lightest brake available. It appears to be long enough to use on 14.5" barrels to make them legal.
http://www.magtacticalsystems.com/index.php/2013-07-29-03-32-36/muzzle-brakes/product/213-light-weight-viper-muzzle-brake

The lightest weight muzzle device on a 16" barrel is of course a thread protector.
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 4:45:39 PM EDT
[#13]

Originally Posted By jukeboxx13:

Yea I read it returns to zero pretty good too.  
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jukeboxx13:

Originally Posted By _Crog:

If you want lightweight I think Aero precision is the only way to go at this point. We are talking ounces of difference.
Thanks for the tip kest! I was getting frustrated trying to find a mount that wasn't in the 1/2lb neighborhood.  QD would be nice, but 4 oz lighter is enough to change my mind I think.  
Yea I read it returns to zero pretty good too.  

I just tested this today. Went to the range, shot a couple groups, then removed the mount and scope. Resintalled, and it was dead on. I'm going to update my reviews in a bit with the new findings.

Link Posted: 3/31/2014 4:53:07 PM EDT
[#14]
The Mag Tactical "Viper" lightweight muzzle brake claims 1 oz. If it is in fact 1.0 ounces, it would be the lightest brake available. It appears to be long enough to use on 14.5" barrels to make them legal.
http://www.magtacticalsystems.com/index.php/2013-07-29-03-32-36/muzzle-brakes/product/213-light-weight-viper-muzzle-brake

The lightest weight muzzle device on a 16" barrel is of course a thread protector.
View Quote

It's 1.9 oz
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 9:46:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By TZLVredmist:

It's 1.9 oz
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TZLVredmist:

It's 1.9 oz

But then if you click the specs tab list it 1.0oz
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 10:06:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 10:26:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Looks nice. Like the QDs on the rear of the receiver.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 2:54:25 PM EDT
[#18]
As much as i like light weight I'm down to the point where the only weight i can loose is to spend $200.00 at v7 to save 2oz. That is quite a bit of 9mm ammo or even 5.56. I think i reached to point of diminishing return till a lighter weight receiver set and barrel come out. But I'm happy sitting at 6lb 2oz with optic.

Link Posted: 4/13/2014 9:47:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By ZoToL:
As much as i like light weight I'm down to the point where the only weight i can loose is to spend $200.00 at v7 to save 2oz. That is quite a bit of 9mm ammo or even 5.56. I think i reached to point of diminishing return till a lighter weight receiver set and barrel come out. But I'm happy sitting at 6lb 2oz with optic.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k217/Wiindigo/IMG_2671_zpsde5f257f.jpg
View Quote

Your build gives me hope.  I'm shooting for sub 7lbs including a suppressor on my current build in progress.  After seeing yours, I think I just may pull it off.  Stay tuned.

Aimpoint H1 with Larue LT751 mount - 5.8 oz

had planned to weigh them separately but the mount and optic was shipped to me mounted together by Larue and I couldn't bring myself to undo their work unnecessarily.  Mfg says H1 weighs 3 oz so that leaves 2.8 oz to the LT751 by my measurement and math.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 9:52:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jukeboxx13] [#20]
Looking real hard at the Fortis F1 Aimpoint Micro mount, and  it looks odd, but the 1.1 oz weight is attractive.

ETA: Also looking forward to the Aero Precision T1 mount whenever it comes out so I cant pull the trigger on the F1 just yet.

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 1:24:56 AM EDT
[#21]

View Quote

what do you have for recievers and grip and BCG?
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 1:28:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By RckShrk:

Your build gives me hope.  I'm shooting for sub 7lbs including a suppressor on my current build in progress.  After seeing yours, I think I just may pull it off.  Stay tuned.

had planned to weigh them separately but the mount and optic was shipped to me mounted together by Larue and I couldn't bring myself to undo their work unnecessarily.  Mfg says H1 weighs 3 oz so that leaves 2.8 oz to the LT751 by my measurement and math.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RckShrk:

I'm looking to do a 300 b build at 5lbs, or 6lbs w/ suppressor/mount.  The sureifire 30 cal mini socom and its mount weighs exactly 1.01lb.  So, if possoble, I need to get a gun w/ T1 & BUIS.  Well, 5.5lbs w/ optics and BUIS is more realistic.  Gonna have to get a set of magtach or receivers.  Wish the KMR came in 8" length, maybe get the MI SSK.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 4:41:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ZoToL] [#23]
Mega forged lower, cerro forged upper, LMT M16 BCG. All regular parts. 14.5" DD LW barrel. H buffer. Empty no mag weight is 6lb 2oz.

Originally Posted By rightwingnut:

View All Quotes

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 2:23:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Nada-Nada:
I got an aluminium grip screw in today!

My lower build parts weights so far:

http://i.imgur.com/lJFFd0l.png

This is a complete functioning lower. I won't have upper weight totals, only estimates, for awhile as I waiting on some work to be completed and some parts to be released.

View Quote

do you have a link for hte accu group grip screw? or specs on the stock one?
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 3:09:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By DonKey153:
Or specs on the stock one?
View Quote

1/4x28x1" you should be able to find one at your local hardware store.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 10:22:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Mega forged lower, cerro forged upper, LMT M16 BCG. All regular parts. 14.5" DD LW barrel. H buffer. Empty no mag weight is 6lb 2oz.

View All Quotes

W/ the optic and BUIS??  Pretty good.  Lighter than a stock M4
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 10:23:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By JoshAston:

View All Quotes

prolly not an alumiminium one.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 11:24:11 PM EDT
[#28]
a spreadsheet with linked pictures, and more explanation about items like LWRC stock (stock only no tube etc) would be cool to strive for
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 4:30:21 AM EDT
[#29]
Yeah, without the optic/mount its 5lb 12oz, The spikes Buis are the lightest option that I know of for backups. Its very nice having a LW rifle. I could have lost a few more ounces by using V7 parts and a different gasblock and flashhider also going down to a regular carbine buffer. But the barrel came with a gasblock already drilled for a pin so i saved myself about a hundred fifty vs buying and having adco pin it.  

View All Quotes

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 8:07:02 AM EDT
[#30]

View All Quotes

I've found aluminum and plastic screws of the right size at numerous local hardware stores.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 6:58:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dogtired] [#31]
I am late to the party but have been eyeing a lightweight build for fun.  Forgive me if these are repeats.  

Burris PEPR 30mm

Does anyone have the weight of a Hogue overmolded Grip?

This suprised me the most.  Of course the OP stock was empty, I can only imagine with batteries.  A2 stock weighed in at 14 oz without spacer or bolt (no pic).

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 7:19:07 PM EDT
[#32]
So is this a complete list of every part needed if an individual were so inclined to build their own rifle?
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 9:13:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Built2defend:
So is this a complete list of every part needed if an individual were so inclined to build their own rifle?
View Quote

very close, i don't see the really small parts mentioned, but they're not really relevant to the discussion. We have a weight for a complete lpk and that can get you close.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 10:12:33 PM EDT
[#34]
I just posted a few of the small parts as an interesting find as some weight twice as much as others, albeit very light either way.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 10:13:29 PM EDT
[#35]

very close, i don't see the really small parts mentioned, but they're not really relevant to the discussion. We have a weight for a complete lpk and that can get you close.
View All Quotes

Woould you mind pointing me in the direction of a detailed parts list? When I searched "parts list" this is the thread that came up.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 10:19:13 PM EDT
[#36]

Woould you mind pointing me in the direction of a detailed parts list? When I searched "parts list" this is the thread that came up.
View All Quotes

google turned this up, looks pretty complete.
http://www.docstoc.com/docs/4215957/Parts-Reference-Diagram-BARREL-HANDGUARD-and-FRONT-SIGHT-COMPONENTS
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 10:37:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Built2defend] [#37]
Thanks! I appreciate it!
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:40:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By cj3waker:
a spreadsheet with linked pictures, and more explanation about items like LWRC stock (stock only no tube etc) would be cool to strive for
View Quote

Quick explanation on why the weight of the buffer tube, spring and etc were included for the LWRC UCIW stock.  They were included because they are proprietary parts included with UICW stock and modified to fit it's smaller dimensions.  Not saying you couldn't just use the stock with a milspec buffer tube, spring and buffer but that would defeat the purpose of the UICW stock.

Pictures would be cool though.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 1:07:34 PM EDT
[#39]
A few parts I have on hand:

Yankee Hill Machine
Low Profile Gas Block w/ Set Screws
YHM-9383
1.429oz

Del-Ton Carbine Gas Tube
0.63oz

Fortis Rev 12"
Mine repeatedly came in at 9.7oz

DPMS Round Handguard Cap
0.289oz

Standard Barrel Nut
1.286oz

Daniel Defense A1.5 Rear Sight
1.753oz

Tactical Link Enhanced Battery Assist Lever
0.783oz

DPMS Delta Pack (Delta Ring, Spring, and Circlip)
1.167oz

Yankee Hill Machine
Phantom Comp/Flash Hider
2.1oz

Spikes Tactical
Forged M4 Flat Top - Complete
8.6oz
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 2:07:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rightwingnut] [#40]
Guys, what is the lightest T1 mount that does full cowitness??  The Fortis does lower 3rd...

Also, what is the lightest flip up fron tsight that has a round front hood, HK style??

Also, are we aware of this Mako polymer ejection port??
http://www.themakogroup.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=1042803&CAT=8639

Also OP: V7 has an AL upper that is 6.9 stripped.   Has F/A. Lighter than all but the MT I guess
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:59:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Guys, what is the lightest T1 mount that does full cowitness??  The Fortis does lower 3rd...
View Quote

I also would like a better option without the QD.   Currently using the Fortis F1 but really not excited about it.  Hopefully Aero Precision comes out with light weight option.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:01:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Look into the LaRue absolute co-witness with the VFZ mount. Package weight will be about 5.35 ounces.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 11:38:33 PM EDT
[#43]
Also, are we aware of this Mako polymer ejection port??
[url=http://www.themakogroup.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=1042803&CAT=8639]http://www.themakogroup.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=1042803&CAT=8639
Has F/A. Lighter than all but the MT I guess
View Quote

I just put a Mako  door on. There are 2 ribs in the inside of the door that the spring rests on...you have to dremel those off or the door won't shut.
I put the V7 FA in also. It is about 1/2 the weight of stock.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:22:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: rightwingnut] [#44]
for those going the pistol route.

333g=11.75 oz.  Not light but sort of hte only show in town for a almost SBR
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:19:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: djkest] [#45]
View Quote

Pretty much. If you look at the spreadsheet in the first post, there are example builds that include all parts. The LPK includes most of the small parts needed.

Also, I used the spreadsheet to estimate my build, and it ended up being within 0.5 oz of the estimate.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:04:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: m411b30] [#46]
Tomorrow I'll get the 15" SP3R weighed, and post it. I'll also add the weight of the barrel nut. But for now, you can see this thing is a PIG even without the barrel nut.....

Seekins Precision SP3R 12".. I'd venture to say that with the barrel nut you can expect it to weight about an OZ per INCH!

ETA: I'll also get a weight for the 10" Seekins MCSR v2 with the barrel nut. I think what's in the OP is about right on, though.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 1:46:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: rightwingnut] [#47]
Surefire Socom QD mounts.  Not lightewight, but some people may have to pu them on their LW builds so here you go:

22 cal brake

3.84 oz

30 cal brake

3.39 oz

22 cal FH

3.92 oz
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 1:19:13 AM EDT
[#48]
What's th chance of having the spreadsheet updated to be listed in lightest to heaviest?

Great thread btw
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 8:23:06 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By LS6TT:
What's th chance of having the spreadsheet updated to be listed in lightest to heaviest?

Great thread btw
View Quote

Zero, but you can sort numerically if you know how to in Excel. It's not too hard to figure out which ones are light especially when a lot of the light parts are highlighted in a different color.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 9:02:21 AM EDT
[#50]
I'm building a pistol for my wife, not that you guys care or that it pertains to this thread, but here are some of the things I'm using that I haven't seen weights for.

PSA moe complete lpk - 7.75oz
Yhm lpgb with set screws - 1.4 oz
UTG super slim pro 9" rail w/barrel nut and set screws - 10oz (not turrible for $109)
Thordsen customs standard buffer tube cover kit, caa saddle adapter and caa saddle - 6.90 oz (for you pistol builders)
PSA premium buffer tube assembly - 9.85 oz
Page / 127
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top