Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 127
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 2:22:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Just picked mine up from UPS a few hours ago -- Hate the signature required delivery...

These sights are awesome. Glad I went this route rather than the usual KAC or Troys.

Size comparison between the Spikes Tactical set, KAC, Troys and Dueck Defense offset sights.

Weight profiles:
Spikes Tactical Front: 24.91g
Spikes Tactical Rear: 28.56g

KAC Front: 37.54g
KAC Rear: 50.50g

Troy's HK Front: 41.94g
Troy's Dioptic Rear: 48.15g

Dueck Defense Front: 44.14g
Dueck Defense Rear: 85.05g

Link Posted: 3/13/2014 10:09:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: djkest] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By rightwingnut:
oops, well disregard what I said about SLR's handguarsds a couple posts above.  Now they guy is listing the 15" solo 3 gun at 11.4oz.  Still not bad for a 15" handguard but 9 oz it is not.  Worst of all, it is not clear whether that listed weight includes the barrel nut or not.    Frusturating.  Maybe I'll email him agiain.  Looked at our correspondence, he said that the nut and hardware is1.03 oz, not 1.3 oz...  I ask him for clarification about his listed weights.

Looks like they have a 13" 3-gun style sans top rail cept at the very front but it is "coming soon" so I'm not even gonna bother believing that weight.

ETA: he got back to me and said that the weights now listed included the HG, barrel nut and hardware.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
oops, well disregard what I said about SLR's handguarsds a couple posts above.  Now they guy is listing the 15" solo 3 gun at 11.4oz.  Still not bad for a 15" handguard but 9 oz it is not.  Worst of all, it is not clear whether that listed weight includes the barrel nut or not.    Frusturating.  Maybe I'll email him agiain.  Looked at our correspondence, he said that the nut and hardware is1.03 oz, not 1.3 oz...  I ask him for clarification about his listed weights.

Looks like they have a 13" 3-gun style sans top rail cept at the very front but it is "coming soon" so I'm not even gonna bother believing that weight.

ETA: he got back to me and said that the weights now listed included the HG, barrel nut and hardware.

Thanks for the update. 1.03 oz sounds right for the barrel nut, made of aluminum.
The Mil-spec barrel nut is steel and 1.3 oz, and the MI barrel nut from my estimations is 1.5 oz. If anyone has a midwest industries barrel nut that isn't already mounted, please weigh it.

Originally Posted By Muad:
Scope mounts:Aero Precision Ultralight (2.98oz)
Aero Precision Ultralight Extended (2.98oz)

http://www.varminter.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/AP-Ultralight-Compare-2.jpg

Those look awesome! I think I am actually going to buy one just because for my "SPR" build.  I have a Burris PEPR and it's probably 8 oz or so.
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 10:18:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 10:40:32 AM EDT
[#4]
My Parallax Tactical LPGB comes in at 1.467

Link Posted: 3/13/2014 10:58:34 AM EDT
[#5]

Originally Posted By djkest:
Thanks for the update. 1.03 oz sounds right for the barrel nut, made of aluminum.

The Mil-spec barrel nut is steel and 1.3 oz, and the MI barrel nut from my estimations is 1.5 oz. If anyone has a midwest industries barrel nut that isn't already mounted, please weigh it.
Those look awesome! I think I am actually going to buy one just because for my "SPR" build.  I have a Burris PEPR and it's probably 8 oz or so.
View All Quotes

Scope mounts:Aero Precision Ultralight (2.98oz)

http://www.varminter.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/AP-Ultralight-Compare-2.jpg

I have used both on my SPR. It currently has the Extended model mounted up. They are awesome mounts if you need lightweight, and QD is not necessary. It also helps that they are less than $100.

Link Posted: 3/13/2014 5:24:37 PM EDT
[#6]
This Post is very helpful for me, thanks OP and everyone else!
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 7:19:33 PM EDT
[#7]
I thought I would share this on the light wight thread.

I just put together an upper with a WOA 18"SPR barrel. It weighed in at 40.7 oz.  I sent it in to Compass Lake to get fluted and they were able to take 6.7 oz off.  One thing to note: I did ask for the flutes to be longer.
The flutes to start .125” from the crush washer to .125”
from the gas block, and .125” from the back of the gas block to .125” to where
the barrel start to go up in size for the barrel extension.  The flutes on the back of the gas block are thicker than the
front as well.

Pics:

Link Posted: 3/13/2014 8:46:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Aimpoint T1, 2moa Optic on a LaRue Absolute Co-witness with the VFZ Mount: 5.25 ounces
Link Posted: 3/14/2014 7:55:41 PM EDT
[#9]
13" SLR 3g with barrel nut is 8oz using my fish scale. I have only a half built gun right now. Also a mega lower receiver is a full oz. lighter than the Anderson one i have, Mega does alot more machining on theirs.
Link Posted: 3/15/2014 5:34:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By ZoToL:
13" SLR 3g with barrel nut is 8oz using my fish scale. I have only a half built gun right now. Also a mega lower receiver is a full oz. lighter than the Anderson one i have, Mega does alot more machining on theirs.
View Quote

Can u snap a pic and upload to tinypic.URL?  I would love to see some good pics of the HV too.  The web site pics are not great.  Also can u pls reply w the ID, and height and width of the part not including the top rail?  Thx
Link Posted: 3/15/2014 6:12:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ZoToL] [#11]
I have the wrong lens for closeups and lighting sucks but here it is.
When this gun is done it should be around 6lbs 2oz maybe less if i use v7 parts.

Link Posted: 3/15/2014 6:36:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Here is some better pics.

Link Posted: 3/16/2014 1:26:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: rightwingnut] [#13]
thank you sir!  
do you have a bitcoin address I can send a micropayment to?

what do you think about the strendgh of hte keymod holes for putting a QD sling swivel in there?
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 7:26:04 AM EDT
[#14]
i don't have bitcoin, The keymod holes look plenty strong enough but are not limited rotation.I can't wait to order the rest of the parts to finish the build I haven't had a rail since the DD Lite, as I had no need for quad rails.I will be picking up a thorntail mount for either my tlr-1 or elzetta m60.

thank you sir!  
do you have a bitcoin address I can send a micropayment to?

what do you think about the strendgh of hte keymod holes for putting a QD sling swivel in there?
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/17/2014 12:57:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Yeti_AS3] [#15]
Have a few weights. As parts parts come in I will add more

-Daniel Defense M4 URG V7 LW. Came in about 8oz heavier then claimed.
      Claimed per DD 3lb 10oz
      Actual 1869g or 4lb 2.7oz as pictured with rail sections.
      3 rail sections with mounting hardware are 3.6oz

-Rainer forged stripped upper 198g or 7.07oz
-Spike's Standard Phosphate HPT/MPI BCG #ST5BG01 329g or 11.75oz
-Spikes charge handle 30g or 1.07oz

href=http://i1289.photobucket.com/albums/b505/yetiguy11/F_A_/DDM4URGV7_fMedium_zps2ef09885.jpg" />

Link Posted: 3/17/2014 3:34:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By PC-Tech:
<a href="http://s314.photobucket.com/user/hdc_ar15/media/AR15/IMG_1217.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i314.photobucket.com/albums/ll434/hdc_ar15/AR15/IMG_1217.jpg</a>

View Quote

I like this one. I see they offer it on their site as also coming in an adjustable version but is out of stock.

http://parallaxtactical.com/collections/ar-15-gas-blocks/products/pxt-super-light-low-profile-front-adjust-gas-block-750

I called to see when they would be back in stock but the person who answered the phone was clueless, not to mention had the personality of a bug. Absolutely could not have cared less that he had someone on the phone wanting to spend money. Amazon showed zero availability also. Anyone know where one of these could be found?
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 3:41:54 PM EDT
[#17]

Originally Posted By Elsinore13:
I like this one. I see they offer it on their site as also coming in an adjustable version but is out of stock.

http://parallaxtactical.com/collections/ar-15-gas-blocks/products/pxt-super-light-low-profile-front-adjust-gas-block-750

I called to see when they would be back in stock but the person who answered the phone was clueless, not to mention had the personality of a bug. Absolutely could not have cared less that he had someone on the phone wanting to spend money. Amazon showed zero availability also. Anyone know where one of these could be found?

View All Quotes

<a href="http://s314.photobucket.com/user/hdc_ar15/media/AR15/IMG_1217.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i314.photobucket.com/albums/ll434/hdc_ar15/AR15/IMG_1217.jpg</a>

Just a heads up,  I was not impress wit the machining on the inside.  It scratched the hell out of my WOA stainless barrel.  I had to sand it so that it would fit in smooth. Then I had to send the barrel to take off the scratches.  A good friend also bought one and was the same as mine. He ended up getting the SLR ajustable and was very happy with the machining. You might want to look up the SLR one.      

Link Posted: 3/17/2014 4:35:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Just a heads up,  I was not impress wit the machining on the inside.  It scratched the hell out of my WOA stainless barrel.  I had to sand it so that it would fit in smooth. Then I had to send the barrel to take off the scratches.  A good friend also bought one and was the same as mine. He ended up getting the SLR ajustable and was very happy with the machining. You might want to look up the SLR one.        
View All Quotes

Got one coming from SLR. Thanks for the heads up. I had ordered a micro adjustable one the other day from BTE http://bte-usa.com/parts/set-screw-micro-gasblocks.htm but it doesn't have the window cut in it.
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 11:41:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lohe] [#19]
http://shop.redxarms.com/RED-X-ARMS-TITANIUM-M16-STYLE-BOLT-CARRIER-GROUP-223-556-TITANIUMBCG.htm

Titanium BCG

.488lbs or 7.808 OZ (Manufacture weight)  I just ordered one

And just ordered this one as well...

http://www.stcroixtactical.com/collections/ar15/products/sct-titanium-bolt-carrier-group-ar15-m16

Claim of .35lbs or 5.6oz
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 12:42:39 AM EDT
[#20]

Scope mounts:
Aero Precision Ultralight (2.98oz)
View Quote

Those look excellent.

I hope they return to zero pretty good.

Link Posted: 3/18/2014 11:01:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Lohe:
http://shop.redxarms.com/RED-X-ARMS-TITANIUM-M16-STYLE-BOLT-CARRIER-GROUP-223-556-TITANIUMBCG.htm

Titanium BCG

http://www.stcroixtactical.com/collections/ar15/products/sct-titanium-bolt-carrier-group-ar15-m16

Claim of .35lbs or 5.6oz
View Quote

Very interesting, I'll be curious to see what the official weigh-in is. There is no way the SCT only weighs 5.6 oz complete IMO.
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 11:21:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Nada-Nada] [#22]

Very interesting, I'll be curious to see what the official weigh-in is. There is no way the SCT only weighs 5.6 oz complete IMO.
View Quote

I am interested as well. SCT makes claims similar to what Spikes is saying, despite the change they need no adjustable gas block, heavy buffers/springs, etc:

"With this BCG you will NOT have to use an adjustable gas system, heavier buffer, or a heavier buffer spring."

What magic do they use?

As far as the weight, they say that is the carrier and gas key weight, not complete with bolt:

"100% titanium carrier with a mil-spec gas key staked that weighs .35"

I am really hoping for Spikes to release their. Boomfab's offering, when it comes out, also looks interesting. It's good to have options. :)

Link Posted: 3/18/2014 10:13:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RckShrk] [#23]
Saw some holes in the data plus more I can fill in with loose parts from my current take on a light weight build I have in progress.  

Spikes forged lower - 237 g / 8.4oz
Spikes forged upper - includes dust cover and forward asst - 244g/8.6oz
LWRC Ultra Compact Stock - includes stock, buffer tube, castle nut, end plate, buffer and spring - 464g/16.4oz
Noveske 8.2" 300BLK barrel - includes gas tube and block - 515g/18.2oz
Spikes 12" SAR rail - includes barrel nut and mounting screws but no shims - 292g/10.3oz
Spikes NiB BCG - 334g/11.8oz
BCM mod4 med latch charging handle - 36g/1.3oz
Magpul Gen2 rear poly sight - 37g/1.3oz
Magpul Enhanced trigger guard - 12g/0.4oz
DPMS ambi safety - 22g/0.8oz
Geissele SSA-E trigger - 65g/2.3oz
Magpul AFG2 - 72g/2.5oz

Should have numbers for Aimpoint H-1, LaRue mount, and Magpul Front sight by the end of the week.
Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 3/19/2014 1:51:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Yeti_AS3] [#24]
]Bummed that a BCM standard 14.5 LW mid somebody else measured (another thread) at 21oz is actually 625g or 22.32oz

BCM standard 14.5 LW mid.... 625g or 22.32oz

</a>" />
Link Posted: 3/19/2014 10:31:01 AM EDT
[#25]
Does anyone know what the lightest 3-gun type scope out their is.

Trijicon Accupoint TR-24 at 14.4 ounces is the best I could find.
Link Posted: 3/19/2014 10:58:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Koshinn] [#26]
Originally Posted By jukeboxx13:

View Quote

Leupold vx6 1-6 is 14.6 oz with more magnification
Leupold vxr 1.25-4 is 11.5 oz.
Leupold Mk4 MR/T 1.5-5 no illumination is 9.7 oz.

Vortex Viper PST 1-4 capped is 14.6 oz.

Crazy thing is with a vxr in ap mount, you're just about the weight of a tr-24 without a mount.
Link Posted: 3/19/2014 11:25:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Elsinore13] [#27]
In regards to the SCT Ti BCG. Typically, titanium is about 40% lighter than steel. Being that a complete BCG is in the 11.5 ounce range, a comparable one in ti will be right at 7 ounces. Skelontonized.....there is your 5.6?
Link Posted: 3/19/2014 11:40:43 AM EDT
[#28]

Originally Posted By Koshinn:

Crazy thing is with a vxr in ap mount, you're just about the weight of a tr-24 without a mount.
View All Quotes

Thanks that VX6 looks like a winner.

Link Posted: 3/19/2014 2:11:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Updated the lists a little last night, but still have more work to do.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 1:11:11 AM EDT
[#30]
SLR Solo Lite 13 weighs 9.9oz with aluminum barrel nut and tension screws. Measured on a digital kitchen scale.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 1:20:08 AM EDT
[#31]

View All Quotes

The Leupold mark AR mod 1 scopes are light. The 1.5-4 is only 9.6 oz. My 3-9 is about 12 oz
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 10:19:35 AM EDT
[#32]
Anyone know scope mount specs like Larue for example?
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 11:11:13 AM EDT
[#33]
View Quote

If you want lightweight I think Aero precision is the only way to go at this point. We are talking ounces of difference.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 11:17:49 AM EDT
[#34]

If you want lightweight I think Aero precision is the only way to go at this point. We are talking ounces of difference.
View All Quotes

Yea but I would prefer a QD system, so that why I asked.

I think Larue weighs around 7oz which is heavy. So do you know of any lighter quality QD mounts?
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 2:54:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Wmcray] [#35]
Aimpoint T1 2 MOA and mounted on Fortis F1.

RCA low mass BCG

BCM 16" ELW barrel

Link Posted: 3/20/2014 4:12:05 PM EDT
[#36]

View All Quotes

I think Larue weighs around 7oz which is heavy. So do you know of any lighter quality QD mounts?

AP has mentioned that they are working on a QD option. I'm hoping they will contact me as soon as they have one.

I personally don't need a QD mount. However, I know a lot of people would be interested in one. With the design of their mount, I think they could easily come up with a QD setup that would even work with the current non-QD versions (so, people like me could easily "upgrade" their existing mounts). However, this is all speculation on my part.

Link Posted: 3/20/2014 5:06:34 PM EDT
[#37]

View All Quotes

AP has mentioned that they are working on a QD option. I'm hoping they will contact me as soon as they have one.

I personally don't need a QD mount. However, I know a lot of people would be interested in one. With the design of their mount, I think they could easily come up with a QD setup that would even work with the current non-QD versions (so, people like me could easily "upgrade" their existing mounts). However, this is all speculation on my part.

Didn't you do a thread on the Aero mount.

Can you give me the link to it.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 5:53:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Muad] [#38]

View All Quotes

Didn't you do a thread on the Aero mount.  

Can you give me the link to it.

I've posted links to my review on ARFCOM, but I don't think I made a thread on here about it.

Here are links to my original and extended Ultralight reviews:

ETA: spellin'

Link Posted: 3/20/2014 10:53:42 PM EDT
[#39]
What rail is that, it looks very light?
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 10:58:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hunting15] [#41]
Wow there is some very light parts in this thread
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 1:35:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: torrent7] [#42]
More parts, some lightweight, some useful for reference.

Warne Ultra High 1" QD Mounts (4.44oz - pretty light rings):

BCM 7075 buffer tube

BCM Mid length gas tube

Larue LT104:

YHM Phantom 5C2

Magpul MOE Grip
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 5:16:49 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 4:53:01 PM EDT
[#45]

View All Quotes

Thanks for the tip kest! I was getting frustrated trying to find a mount that wasn't in the 1/2lb neighborhood.  QD would be nice, but 4 oz lighter is enough to change my mind I think.

Link Posted: 3/21/2014 5:07:11 PM EDT
[#46]

Originally Posted By _Crog:

Thanks for the tip kest! I was getting frustrated trying to find a mount that wasn't in the 1/2lb neighborhood.  QD would be nice, but 4 oz lighter is enough to change my mind I think.  
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By _Crog:

Yea I read it returns to zero pretty good too.

Link Posted: 3/25/2014 4:54:56 PM EDT
[#47]
The spread sheet lists the mag tactical upper for $125. Does anyone know where this price came from? I haven't been able to find any retailer that carries it besides mag tactical themselves.
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 8:41:54 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By torrent7:
The spread sheet lists the mag tactical upper for $125. Does anyone know where this price came from? I haven't been able to find any retailer that carries it besides mag tactical themselves.
View Quote

Might be a typo, I'm sorry if I got your hopes up.

BTW SLR Rifle works 10" Solo 3-gun rail, worth a look if you are rocking the carbine length gas system. 7.4 ounces! (manufacturer).

Their mounting system appears to be pretty solid though I haven't used it myself yet.
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 4:33:22 PM EDT
[#49]

Titanium BCG

Claim of .35lbs or 5.6oz
View All Quotes

Titanium BCG

Claim of .35lbs or 5.6oz

Got these in the carriers look identical they each used different gas key and bolts

It's does weigh 5.6oz stripped.  

Well I just ordered from red X I will most likely get a spikes also but figured I would try/check this one out. Also picked up a couple uppers from them.

Put it in the scale today 162 grams with just gas key. 220 complete or 7.7 oz and 5.7oz with just gas key.

So looks like the spikes titanium with the material removed is going to be 20 grams lighter but they haven't put there's in production yet. The spikes one is also supposed to have a sleeve where the bolt rides IIRC.
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 4:38:54 PM EDT
[#50]
I also got my spikes 14.5 LTW mid length gas barrel in

1lb 5.1 oz or  601grams
Page / 127
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top