Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/26/2013 2:38:30 PM EDT
Police trade in Colt dissy

Looks like a cool rifle. Just put one on layaway. Says they may not work with low power .223 ammo so I'm guessing it's a 20" barrel cut down to 16".
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 3:22:28 PM EDT
[#1]
This looks like a strange animal.
1 in 9 twist Heavy barrel usually means a commercial barrel used for a sporter type rifle. Military/LEO has been using 1 in 12 and 1 in 7 since at least the 1970's with the M16A1.  Odd length as well.
LEO/military use markings on lower. Means made during the ban.
Collapsing stock on a full length sighted rifle seems unusual for LEO.

This looks like something that has been cobbled together. Why would military or LEO specify a sporting type barrel when buying from Colt Defense?  
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 3:34:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Can't see a gas tube pin in the front sight base. If no pin must not be a cut down 20".
Receiver says Carbine so should have started out with something 16" or shorter.
May have large fire control pins so with out that info I would pass. To me the price is off for used Colt too.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 3:36:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This looks like a strange animal.
1 in 9 twist Heavy barrel usually means a commercial barrel used for a sporter type rifle. Military/LEO has been using 1 in 12 and 1 in 7 since at least the 1970's with the M16A1.  Odd length as well.
LEO/military use markings on lower. Means made during the ban.
Collapsing stock on a full length sighted rifle seems unusual for LEO.

This looks like something that has been cobbled together. Why would military or LEO specify a sporting type barrel when buying from Colt Defense?  
View Quote

its sure looks like it, the collapsible stock is definitely not colt.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:11:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:12:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If it were not an HBAR...
View Quote

The one in the picture is .625 at the FSB.  Peculiar.

ETA : LE6520 lower receiver. Cobbled.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:15:07 PM EDT
[#6]
There's a long-running thread about these in the Colt forum here.

Bottom line: Colt rifle with a modified 6721 barrel (original FSB shaved down, second FSB affixed to forward part of barrel); original buttstock replaced with a commercial one.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:01:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
There's a long-running thread about these in the Colt forum here.
View Quote

Lot's of info there, guess I didn't look hard enough. I also didn't notice the no gas tube roll pin in the FSB. I'd rather have the carbine length gas system anyway.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top