ARCHIVED ARCHIVED
  Previous Page
Page:  / 3
Author
State Certified Boomstick Instructor
NRA
Posted: 4/27/2013 6:59:52 AM EST
[Last Edit: 4/27/2013 7:15:51 AM EST by RumbleTruck]
In the CDNN ad from today, a "ultra rare uncataloged LE marked Colt Dissipator" was listed:

ETA, archived thread indicated 1/9 bbl

Colt "Dissipator"

Found an archived thread possibly about something similar, but no pics:

Colt "Dissipator" thread

Another archived thread, not alot of info

I wonder if it was a special run, as Colt has been known to do, or some type of transitional gun?

Archived link above indicates a ban era mfg date for an LE agency. I'm foing to IM the OP of that thread.
Team Ranstad

"But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... “Baa.” Col. Dave Grossman
grondike
AKA Jim C.
NRAMilitary
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/27/2013 7:13:31 AM EST
Weird - the link's not showing in the original post, but I saw it when tried quoting it. Must be CDNN's fscked up URL.

CDNN link

RumbleTruck
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/27/2013 7:16:40 AM EST
Thanks grondike, I couldn't get the pic to work
Team Ranstad

"But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... “Baa.” Col. Dave Grossman
BRONZ
You're Being Watched
NRAInstructor
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/27/2013 7:17:04 AM EST
I was interested until I saw that pencil barrel.
BRONZ

You never have trouble if you are prepared for it. T. Roosevelt

BillBond
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/27/2013 7:31:11 AM EST
When I saw that ad I figured it was a Bushmaster upper on a Colt lower.

HardShell
Just happy to be here!
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/27/2013 8:51:00 AM EST
I also wondered about that one when their email arrived.
I am a CHRISTIAN, a CONSERVATIVE, and a REPUBLICAN... in exactly that order, and completely without apology.
dash13
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/27/2013 9:00:48 AM EST
I got the email this morning as well and was intrigued. Has anyone talked to CDNN and found out anything about these dissipators?
olds442tyguy
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/27/2013 9:27:10 AM EST
[Last Edit: 4/27/2013 9:29:05 AM EST by olds442tyguy]
I call BS. Why would Colt use a commercial receiver extension and a non Colt stock. I'd be willing to bet that rifle isn't even 60% Colt parts.
Our founding fathers warned us of a two party system. 150 years ago the parties had the exact opposite stance. Their names are even a contradiction to their current objectives.
RumbleTruck
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/27/2013 12:24:55 PM EST
I IM'd kenzo who started the Colt "Dissipator" thread in '02 hoping he will IM back and shed some light on this gun. It appears the LE agency he worked for had these "Dissipator" Colts as well as some Bushmaster Dissipators.
Team Ranstad

Mohegan21
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/27/2013 3:31:29 PM EST
I have one of the Colt Dissipator uppers, It is a 1-9 6721 16"barrel with a carbine gas system, the front is milled down to .625 with a commando front sight assembly on it. A2 reciever, I can send pics tommorow if anyone is interested. I like it because I can hold my off hand further out to control the weaspon...
hARd_time
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/27/2013 5:23:01 PM EST
[Last Edit: 4/27/2013 5:23:42 PM EST by hARd_time]
I've never been a big fan of the dissipators, but I find myself wanting one of those. I've also REALLY wanted to get a Colt Python for a long time and been looking at getting one of those. I know, drastically different, but they both have a pony on the side!!
Augee
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/28/2013 4:09:09 AM EST
That is not a Colt stock, and Colt uses two and four position receiver extensions.

~Augee
RumbleTruck
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/28/2013 8:32:15 AM EST
[Last Edit: 5/1/2013 2:49:44 AM EST by RumbleTruck]
Originally Posted By Augee:
That is not a Colt stock, and Colt uses two and four position receiver extensions.

~Augee

kenzo did say that the Colt" Dissipators" his agency had were fixed A2 stocks

ETA 5-1-13 - he said the Colt "dissipator"barrels his agency had were marked "CMP 5.56 NATO 1/7"

Team Ranstad

kenzo
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/1/2013 5:20:04 AM EST
My apologies to Rumble Truck, it was a 1/9 twist bbl. I wish I had save my pics from back then as it was the only Colt "Dissipator" variant I have seen. I have since transferred from that station and my current station only has Bushmaster Dissipators. Anyway, the pics were of the Colt lower and a pic of the upper with the handguards removed showing the dissipator profile.

regards
Augee
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/1/2013 12:48:01 PM EST
[Last Edit: 5/1/2013 12:51:51 PM EST by Augee]
Originally Posted By kenzo:
My apologies to Rumble Truck, it was a 1/9 twist bbl. I wish I had save my pics from back then as it was the only Colt "Dissipator" variant I have seen. I have since transferred from that station and my current station only has Bushmaster Dissipators. Anyway, the pics were of the Colt lower and a pic of the upper with the handguards removed showing the dissipator profile.

regards

Honestly doesn't terribly surprise me.

Do you happen to know what the lower was rollmarked?

Colt used to pretty much build anything that you asked for provided you were willing to order three hundred or more at a pop. Things like the LE6320 and LE6922, not to mention the well known LE6920HB came about this way. These "non-catalog" models are not very well documented.

It's quite possible that whatever department had them replaced the Colt fixed stocks with those aftermarket atrocities as an "upgrade" before finally selling/trading them in.

~Augee
PermanentCavityWound
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/2/2013 1:08:51 PM EST
Maybe something like this but half the price???

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=339578618

Seems like a cool collection piece but I'd rather spend my limited funds on other things I guess...
grondike
AKA Jim C.
NRAMilitary
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/2/2013 3:54:14 PM EST
Hmmm... no pics showing the barrel markings or the upper markings.

But hey - no reserve!
Raufus
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/5/2013 9:08:01 AM EST
[Last Edit: 5/5/2013 9:10:47 AM EST by Raufus]
I bought one of the Dissipators from CDNN. It arrived yesterday.

The barrel is marked 10/02. There are no other markings on the barrel - i.e., no CMP or twist or anything that I can see. The upper does have a Colt proof mark so I'd assume that the barrel is original Colt being that only complete guns are proof tested at Colt and thus have uppers with proof marks. I doubt that any agency changed barrels.

Don't know what to make of this gun. Looks original Colt but very odd that there are not the usual Colt markings on the barrel. The only thing that I can think of is that perhaps they were 20" barrels which were cut down at the factory. Who knows.

The bore, internals, etc. are very, very clean. Some scuff marks on the upper and lower from carry. No sling swivel in the front.

New to this forum and don't know how to post pics on it. Happy to do so if anyone wants and can tell me how.

Pretty steep price for a trade in.
Augee
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/5/2013 11:19:09 AM EST
Originally Posted By Raufus:
I bought one of the Dissipators from CDNN. It arrived yesterday.

The barrel is marked 10/02. There are no other markings on the barrel - i.e., no CMP or twist or anything that I can see. The upper does have a Colt proof mark so I'd assume that the barrel is original Colt being that only complete guns are proof tested at Colt and thus have uppers with proof marks. I doubt that any agency changed barrels.

Don't know what to make of this gun. Looks original Colt but very odd that there are not the usual Colt markings on the barrel. The only thing that I can think of is that perhaps they were 20" barrels which were cut down at the factory. Who knows.

The bore, internals, etc. are very, very clean. Some scuff marks on the upper and lower from carry. No sling swivel in the front.

New to this forum and don't know how to post pics on it. Happy to do so if anyone wants and can tell me how.

Pretty steep price for a trade in.

Would like to see pictures of the profile under the handguards. This could tell at least part of the story.

To post pictures, all you need to do is upload them online at photobucket or another similar site, then link to them using the "twin peaked mountain with sun" button, fourth from the right under the response box.

~Augee
Raufus
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/5/2013 2:09:14 PM EST
[Last Edit: 5/5/2013 2:28:47 PM EST by Raufus]
Thanks very much!

Here is a photo w/o the handguards...

I can send more if that would help.

The first step down can be hard to notice in the photo but can be seen in you look carefully.

It seems to me that they should have put the gas block more forward so as to take advantage of a longer gas impulse. Don't know why they didn't.

BTW, CDNN had 40 of them.

http://<ahttp://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa38/t4biophage/IMG_20130504_172007_559.jpg</a>" />
RumbleTruck
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/6/2013 8:54:54 AM EST
[Last Edit: 5/6/2013 8:55:47 AM EST by RumbleTruck]
Thanks Raufus!

Does the gas block look like it was a cut down "F" FSB?

And does the stock look like a factory Colt stock with proper staking?
Team Ranstad

Augee
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/6/2013 10:27:39 AM EST
[Last Edit: 5/6/2013 10:30:43 AM EST by Augee]
Originally Posted By RumbleTruck:
Thanks Raufus!

Does the gas block look like it was a cut down "F" FSB?

And does the stock look like a factory Colt stock with proper staking?

That's not a Colt factory stock.

The barrel does look consistent with a 6721 barrel that's been turned down to mount a .625 gas block, though.

Either way... there are a lot of steps on that barrel.

One under the handguards... one down to the gasblock journal... one down from the gasblock journal... then one down for the FSB... probably another one down after the FSB.

If there's any trace of barrel markings left on it, I'd suspect they'd be between the gas block and the "new" front sight base. Off top of my head, I don't remember exactly where and how the 6721's barrel markings are, but the mounting of the FSB may have obliterated them.

~Augee
Raufus
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/6/2013 12:35:11 PM EST
[Last Edit: 5/6/2013 1:32:24 PM EST by Raufus]
Augee
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/7/2013 1:48:12 AM EST
Great pics!

kenzo mentioned that his came with a fixed stock, and I guarantee you - that stock was not installed by Colt, and those are not Colt parts.

The Roger's stock, while "aftermarket," still qualifies as a Colt stock despite being OEMed by someone else - it's a special model installed only on Colt rifles (not convertable to commercial dimension) and marked "Colt."

A Colt M4 stock would be a completely different profile, with a straight wall ahead of the latch, in addition to many other small detail differences.

From your photos, it looks like a pretty straightforward conversion - an LE6520 "base," rebarreled with a 6721 barrel with an additional FSB installed. Likely with an A2 stock from the factory as well, and whatever agency was using them probably decided to "update" them with el-cheapo commercial collapsible stocks during their service lives, and traded them in like that.

If I were a collector, I'd probably just restore it with a Colt A2 stock and consider it an interesting and unusual variant. I would be interested in knowing what model number was assigned to it.

~Augee
RumbleTruck
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/7/2013 2:30:16 AM EST
If I were a collector, I'd probably just restore it with a Colt A2 stock and consider it an interesting and unusual variant. I would be interested in knowing what model number was assigned to it.

While probabally not correct, a Colt "CS" stock would look at home on the Dissipator...
Team Ranstad

ar15m16556
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/7/2013 3:58:58 AM EST
[Last Edit: 5/7/2013 4:02:58 AM EST by ar15m16556]
I would throw a a2 stock on.
Here is where I purchased 2 new colt complete a2 stock kits for $95 each New colt a2 stock kit $95
Real nice kits except they have the new colt plastic trap door. I replaced the plastic door on one with the metal door & used the other with the plastic door.
  Previous Page
Page:  / 3
ARCHIVED ARCHIVED
Industry » Colt