BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/12/2012 1:45:38 PM EDT
It seems to me that this is one extra thing to fumble around with when the adrenaline is pumping.  I'm thinking jumper cables, which snag on most anything.
Link Posted: 5/12/2012 1:50:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I use my HDR for other things, so it has a sling. I don't think I'd put the sling on before engaging in any social activities, though.
Link Posted: 5/12/2012 1:58:23 PM EDT
[#2]
It depends on your possible usage I guess, but I would almost definetly say yes in most situations.  Think about this, if you live in a household with more than one member, or especially children you most likely are going to be wanting to get them in a safe place.  Opening doors, gathering up little ones, moving them in the right direction, getting everybody out of the potential harms way.  Now the main reason a lot of handgun home defense proponents claim a rifle is bad in a HD scenario is because maneuvering and doing other tasks while holding onto a long gun becomes difficult without another way to support it.

I would say most definetly use a sling.  It adds to the stability of the weapon, and at least for me, using only stong hand support of the weapon, which would be necessary while opening doors or manuevering obstacles, gives me the ability to effectively employ a long gun in that type of scenario.
Link Posted: 5/12/2012 2:40:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/12/2012 2:45:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
A sling on a rifle is like a holster for a handgun.  

This, You NEED to have one for the rifle

If it is in the house at all times maybe not on it but I would as it might help to retain it in an unforeseeable situation.

For a SHTF gun it needs to be on it at all times.
Link Posted: 5/12/2012 2:49:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I'd bet that a LOT of HD handguns are not in holsters.

Link Posted: 5/12/2012 3:04:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd bet that a LOT of HD handguns are not in holsters.

Likely not, but I'd also bet that most people would be better off if they had their weapons with holsters and slings rather than just in the hands.  If you simply jump up and start gunning I can see not using/having a sling, but there are more reasons to have it if possible than there are liabilities to having them.

In short, if there's time use the holster and sling.
Link Posted: 5/12/2012 4:09:38 PM EDT
[#7]
I took the sling off mine for bedside use. If shtf it takes 2 sec to click it back on. I've since gotten a pistol for HD so the sling is usually on the AR. You should at leas HAVE a sling in case you need it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2012 4:12:30 PM EDT
[#8]
No.  Not necessary at home.  Slings are a field thing.
Link Posted: 5/12/2012 4:26:16 PM EDT
[#9]
The dogs sound off and I'm headed down the hall to gather up my kids! I won't be wasting time with a sling. After the kids and baby mama are together it's time to go hunting!
I see the value in a sling in a tactical situation where you may be looking at a lengthy operation. But in a HD scenario it's going to be over in a matter of minutes and if not then I will cross that bridge if it ever happens. All of this assuming the pack of Chihuahuas don't kill'em first.
Link Posted: 5/12/2012 6:37:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The dogs sound off and I'm headed down the hall to gather up my kids! I won't be wasting time with a sling. After the kids and baby mama are together it's time to go hunting!
I see the value in a sling in a tactical situation where you may be looking at a lengthy operation. But in a HD scenario it's going to be over in a matter of minutes and if not then I will cross that bridge if it ever happens. All of this assuming the pack of Chihuahuas don't kill'em first.

You are watching the yard for the dirt bag and junior runs out to see if daddy is ok.  You have the choice of grabbing him and holding him in one hand bobbling both him and the gun, setting the gun down and grabbing him or just pushing/herding him back to the house while keeping both hands on the gun.  Ever done a drill where you have to carry a weight when shooting/running with a gun?  I'll help, it's nearly impossible.  If you have a sling you can quickly sling the rifle and use both hands while not losing control of the gun.  Safer, faster and better tactics.  I see absolutely no reason not to have both slings and holsters for every gun.

There are a million reasons to have a sling and they all translate to holster as well.  The more you shoot, move and perform functions with a gun, the more you will want a sling.
Link Posted: 5/12/2012 6:50:11 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Este.

Link Posted: 5/12/2012 7:03:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I took the sling off mine for bedside use. If shtf it takes 2 sec to click it back on. I've since gotten a pistol for HD so the sling is usually on the AR. You should at leas HAVE a sling in case you need it.

+1 this is what I do
Link Posted: 5/12/2012 7:07:51 PM EDT
[#13]
I will not keep an AR around that doesn't have a sling unless it's because the sling is on order but hasn't arrived in the mail yet.

A sling and a light are absolute necessities in every defensive scenario I can think of IMO.
Link Posted: 5/12/2012 7:08:08 PM EDT
[#14]
All of my rifles and shotguns wear them. You get used to it. And I recommend you get used to it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2012 7:24:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Long guns can be taken away easier than a handgun so yes you need a sling so the bad guy can't take your weapon if he gets that close. I dry fire train with my sling on in my backyard all the time, and you should too. Also what if you need to put your rifle down for any reason, would you want it to be on your back or 2 rooms down from you.
Link Posted: 5/12/2012 7:33:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/12/2012 8:19:06 PM EDT
[#17]
I consider a sling mandatory. In the event a rifle might be utilized, I think having a sling would be important. My home is surrounded by miles of open ground. Entering and exiting rooms, house, gates, barn, outbuildings, etc would be a more cumbersome task, especially if carrying other things, without a sling.

My shooting range is behind my house so I usually sling my rifle over my shoulder inside my house and grab the other things I need and go through a door and two gates with items in my hands. Even if not carrying anything far more "fumbling" would occur without a sling. Not an option IMO.

There are plenty of unforeseen actions one might need two hands for. Having to set the rifle down or perform tasks one handed would be very inconvenient. But my extracurricular activities all revolve around a long gun. So having a rifle or shotgun slung while performing a multitude of tasks feels normal. I'd rather be without underwear. lol!
Link Posted: 5/12/2012 8:43:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Slings are a great option to have on a HD rifle/shotgun.  A sling such as a VTAC, properly deployed in front of you serves a much different role on an AR than the old-school leather sling on your bolt-action hunting rifle slung over your shoulder or across your back.  It allows you to use a hand to do things like turn on light switches, turn door knobs and make phone calls while keeping absolute full control of the rifle with the other hand.  If you need to use both hands, the rifle simply rests in the low ready position.

On the other-hand my handgun remains unholstered while inside my home/b-hut or other situation where I'm resting and not already wearing a holster.  I sleep in my underwear and I'm not sure how to incorporate a holster with that uniform.  That said, while home I've utilized a Maxpedition FatBoy to hold my handgun (or have a place to undeploy/hide it) as a means to answering the door at night or to inspect a strange noise.  I can simply throw it over my shoulder and it looks like an innocent messenger/camera bag which might look weird, but not call 911 shocking.  I hope no one is wearing a "war-belt" to answer their door.  Having a place to discreetly secure a handgun when you find out it's your semi-hot female neighbor who's boyfriend just broke up with her through a phone call and saw a light on at your place and needed someone to talk to might come in handy one night.
Link Posted: 5/13/2012 12:11:08 AM EDT
[#19]
My question to you is: Can you foresee a single situation in a home defense scenario where you'd want to use both hands while still maintaining control of your weapon? How about if you think it's possible a bad guy may try to take your weapon in a close quarters fight? If the answer is yes, you want a sling.

Situations I can think of where a sling would come in handy:

• Someone (you or a family member/friend) is wounded in the fight. You wouldn't want to just leave the weapon laying around in case the bad guy (who you are assumed to have defeated) has friends or somehow miraculously still has fight in him (weirder stuff has happened). And I imagine trying to patch up a bad wound with one hand isn't going to be easy.

• Bad guy grabs your weapon and tries to disarm you. At least with the sling you have some retention besides your hands. He would have a much harder time taking the weapon from you.

• You have to drag or move a large or heavy object into another room or out of harm's way.

Link Posted: 5/13/2012 12:49:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
It seems to me that this is one extra thing to fumble around with when the adrenaline is pumping.  I'm thinking jumper cables, which snag on most anything.

Yes, you need a sling. The sling would never get in your way if you had basic skills.

If the action slows or if you need 2 hands for something else, you could put your gun down and start another task, that could get you killed. The proper method is to sling the weapon so it's always with you.
Link Posted: 5/13/2012 1:54:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

yep!

Link Posted: 5/13/2012 5:37:04 AM EDT
[#22]
yes, a sling is mandatory.
it allows you to use both your hands for other tasks if the need arises without requiring you to put your weapon down, and in fact keeps it
very accessible for quick action if a threat presents itself.

without sling;
you are clearing your house in the middle of the night, you trip on that little dump truck your kid keeps leaving out.
you fall to the floor reflexively using your hands to break your fall as your gun skitters off down the hallway...as you see the dark shape
of the BG come around the corner.

with sling;
you fall to the floor reflexively using your hands to break your fall...dark shape of BG comes around the corner and you reaquire your
rifles grip from where it was retained by your sling.

without sling;
your clearing your house and your two young boys come running down the hall to you for safety. you have no choice but to drop your rifle
and grab your children. you pick them up and run to "safety" without your weapon.

with sling;
your two young boys come running down the hall to you for safety. you drop your rifle and it swings down to your chest. you fall back to your
room with your kids. drop them with your wife and redeploy your rifle from its waiting position on your chest.

I could go on and on. there may be a situation where NOT having a sling would be advantageous...but I cant think of one.
Link Posted: 5/13/2012 11:01:34 AM EDT
[#23]
par3
So your going to lay your weapon down if you have to render assistance to a loved one.  Leave it unsecured.   As it been said it's the holster for your rifle.
Link Posted: 5/13/2012 11:11:36 AM EDT
[#24]
yes
Link Posted: 5/13/2012 11:23:50 AM EDT
[#25]
No, it is pointless for a HD gun.

Unless you think your going to fulfill some stupidass Rambo or mr and mrs smith action sequence during a home robbery you will have no need for it and it will do more harm than good.

An exceptions if you have multiple acres of land you need to secure and you need to take both a handgun and a rifle with you.
Link Posted: 5/13/2012 11:26:00 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Unless you think your going to fulfill some stupidass Rambo or mr and mrs smith action sequence during a home robbery you will have no need for it and it will do more harm than good.

An exceptions if you have multiple acres of land you need to secure and you need to take both a handgun and a rifle with you.

i have a sling on my HD rifle, its nice when needing to make sweeps when you hear bumps in the night oustide your house where there shouldnt be any.
Link Posted: 5/13/2012 11:27:49 AM EDT
[#27]
Of course you need one. As stated before, a sling for a rifle is like a holster for a handgun. If you're going to shoot everyone in sight, I guess you don't need a sling. But if you need your hands for ANYTHING, like restraining someone, calling 911, opening or closing a door, etc., you need a sling to hang on to your rifle.
Link Posted: 5/13/2012 11:28:57 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

i have a sling on my HD rifle, its nice when needing to make sweeps when you hear bumps in the night oustide your house where there shouldnt be any.

But why do you need to "holster your rifle" when doing such a sweep? Are you carrying a handgun also? Do you keep a rifle by you at home when you sleep as well as a hand gun?
Link Posted: 5/13/2012 11:30:27 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Of course you need one. As stated before, a sling for a rifle is like a holster for a handgun. If you're going to shoot everyone in sight, I guess you don't need a sling. But if you need your hands for ANYTHING, like restraining someone, calling 911, opening or closing a door, etc., you need a sling to hang on to your rifle.

And what if the assailant rushes you around a corner of your home and you cannot shoot him, and he uses the sling/rifle to choke you and restrain you?
Link Posted: 5/13/2012 11:31:06 AM EDT
[#30]
No sling on my HD rifle, the same way as no holster on the pistol. If I need to go clear the house with a pistol the holster has no use, it will be seating by the bed side until I am back.
Link Posted: 5/13/2012 11:31:46 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

And what if the assailant rushes you around a corner of your home and you cannot shoot him, and he uses the sling/rifle to choke you and restrain you?

That type of shit belongs in GD.
Link Posted: 5/13/2012 11:32:44 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You belong in GD for a non technical response like that.
Link Posted: 5/13/2012 11:35:34 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You belong in GD.

Suggesting you shouldn't have a sling because someone may strangle you with it is like saying you shouldn't have a gun because someone may steal it from you and shoot you with it. That has no place in a technical forum, and thus belongs in GD. Good day.
Link Posted: 5/13/2012 11:36:14 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But why do you need to "holster your rifle" when doing such a sweep? Are you carrying a handgun also? Do you keep a rifle by you at home when you sleep as well as a hand gun?

dont carry my handgun on me in the home. I do keep my rifle by my side at all times, im more proficient with my rifle and i can get more hits on target in a faster time than with my handgun.

I actually do holster my rifle when sweeping the ouside of my home because i have a few obstacles i have to get around and its easier to do with two hands than 1
Link Posted: 5/13/2012 11:37:07 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

dont carry my handgun on me in the home. I do keep my rifle by my side at all times, im more proficient with my rifle and i can get more hits on target in a faster time than with my handgun.

I actually do holster my rifle when sweeping the ouside of my home because i have a few obstacles i have to get around and its easier to do with two hands than 1

Valid answer. Your case stands and a sling would suit you if you do need both hands to navigate obstacles.
Link Posted: 5/13/2012 11:38:55 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You belong in GD.

Suggesting you shouldn't have a sling because someone may strangle you with it is like saying you shouldn't have a gun because someone may steal it from you and shoot you with it. That has no place in a technical forum, and thus belongs in GD. Good day.

It's a valid scenario, and all you offered was "omg that stupid go back to GD" instead of a thought out response. Awesome.

Your reasoning above is a blanket metaphor and doesn't make sense.

I'm not suggesting yous houldnt have a sling, I'm suggesting you only have a sling if you have a reason to. And 90% of homeowners don't need one without proper training on how and why to use a sling.
Link Posted: 5/13/2012 11:45:58 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You belong in GD.

It's a valid scenario, and all you offered was "omg that stupid go back to GD" instead of a thought out response. Awesome.

I'm not suggesting yous houldnt have a sling, I'm suggesting you only have a sling if you have a reason to. And 90% of homeowners don't need one without proper training on how and why to use a sling.

Yes, and your response was clearly classy. That is, before your post edit. And I'm not going to offer a thought out response to the stupidest statement I've ever read. If someone strangles me with the sling on my rifle, I've got it coming. People envision some scenario where someone is going to break into their house and they'll immediately smoke the person. If they thought about solutions other than shooting the person, they would realize a sling is necessary equipment. Just because you have a rifle in your hands doesn't mean that deadly force is the solution.
Link Posted: 5/13/2012 11:50:34 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You belong in GD.

I think a more valid scenario would be that the assailant takes your weapon from you because you don't have a sling than the assailant restrain you with your sling.   I use a sling for that purpose and so that I have hands free to use a phone open doors.  Navigate around tables, chairs, book shelves, tv's and other such obstacles.  To me a sling is a must, for others it may not be.  But to use such a broad statement as saying it is "pointless" is ignorant.  To each there own.  

Link Posted: 5/13/2012 11:53:02 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

I'm trying to think of one scenario where it would do more harm than good... And I can't.

Link Posted: 5/13/2012 11:56:42 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Valid answer. Your case stands and a sling would suit you if you do need both hands to navigate obstacles.

I have a couple of random fences that i have to get over which are difficult to do with a rifle in one hand, so i just tighten up my sling and hop over then reloosen it
Link Posted: 5/13/2012 11:58:32 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
No.  Not necessary at home.  Slings are a field thing.

Correctamundo.
Link Posted: 5/13/2012 12:02:44 PM EDT
[#42]
The point is if someones in your home you gather the kids and wife 1 room take up deffensive posisition and call the police unless you get the drop on that someone first I wouldnt go on a search and destroy as the intruder could be waiting for you to go looking to ambush you.Unless you see the thrreat imeadiately the point is to get the family get everyone safe my wife has her own weapons so shes got things coverd anyway,call the police and in the meantime your armed and ready and if the threats crazy enough they go on a search and run into you or the police armed and thats the way you want it to be..you stay on the phone till the police are at the door..you dont want to be mistken as an intruder by the good guys all the more reason to stay put and armed at the ready...the police will sweep your house and get the guy if they didnt already as they pull up.Anything you may need to use your hands for youll need a sling to keep the weapon with you..its just not for the field.
Link Posted: 5/13/2012 12:03:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

it is not a valid scenario
A) if BG is able (without you shooting them) to "rush" you and get ahold of your weapon, the LAST thing he is going to do is bypass the loaded AR so he can try to kill you with a sling
B) even IF all that happened and the retarded BG allowed you to retain your AR whilst he tries to kill you with your sling. HOW is he going to strangle you with it?
not alot of slack in a sling, and would take both his hands and a ton of strength to wrap it around the neck of a still armed and fighting homeowner.

you sir, are full of fail.
there is NO good reason to not have a sling on a HD weapon.
how about when you need to pick up your 3 year old crying in the hall way? where you gonna put your rifle?
how about you find an injured loved one in the living room? you need to give first aid, where are you gonna put your rifle?
theres a tipped over dresser in the hall you have move to continue. what are you gonna do with your rifle?
basically, if you will ever need to A) have a rifle with you and B) use your hands for anything other then shooting, you need a sling.
Link Posted: 5/13/2012 2:45:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 5/13/2012 3:35:22 PM EDT
[#45]
A sling also helps with weapon retention. As mentioned it is more likely the BG will try to take you weapon than choke you with a sling.  And it is very easy to disarm someone with a rifle in close quarters.  The sling makes it difficult if not impossible to turn it on the wearer.
Link Posted: 5/13/2012 3:48:17 PM EDT
[#46]
As is with lots of things...

It's better to have one and not need it, than need one and not have it.

If you don't think you'll use one much just don't buy and exspensive one, but I would still say you should have one.
Link Posted: 5/13/2012 5:30:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
As is with lots of things...

It's better to have one and not need it, than need one and not have it.

If you don't think you'll use one much just don't buy and exspensive one, but I would still say you should have one.

Bad advice. You want to buy a good sling for either single or 2 point. Make sure its a quality brand like magpul ms3 for single and viking tactics for 2 point.
Link Posted: 5/13/2012 6:14:50 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would much rather have to fight off an attempted strangling with my own sling.  What is the other option if he grabs the gun and there is no sling?  Ohh ya he now has possession of the weapon and shoots you with it, even if he can't figure out how to utilize it because hes rifle illiterate, he clubs you with it........

I see no common sense thought in your argument what so ever.
Link Posted: 5/14/2012 9:47:18 AM EDT
[#49]
Light, sling and optic are necessary for any rifle that I keep around for more than range duty. You can let the damn thing dangle if you're too amped up to sling it. If you train with it, a single or two point sling take next to no time to use.
Link Posted: 5/14/2012 10:53:11 AM EDT
[#50]
I am not a fan of slings under any circumstance but necessity.  I use slings when neccessary but detach them frequently.  When skiing I use a double sling with the rifle carried center back, and also have used a hasty sling for steadying a shot in the field on game or varmints.  But in the brush, a sling is a pain and invariably causes trouble when the gun needs to be used.

All that to say this;  inside a home is more like carrying and using a weapon in thick brush.  Lamps, chairs, doorknobs, clutter stacked on counters etc can become snagged just like sticks and branches and brush can and does in the field.  I have run thru the house on several occaisions with a rifle and I want nothing to do with a sling.  Even if it doesn't impede actual function it can easily cause a moment of misdirected attention or knock a glass off a table or foul the situation in some other way that gives a person away which is also done by the added noise many slings make.  In my case, the negative experiences were not because the rifle was being used inside the house but rather being carried fast to get outside the house {dogs attacking livestock}.

Nope, I personally want nothing to do with a sling on my rifle in a home defense situation but to my own tactical advantage I would hope an intruder does have one attached to his.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top