Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 1178
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:22:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PerfectTurn] [#1]
It's THE one!  The sling is my repro, the Dewey rod is also my repro since of course Dewey changed the design...

ETA: Can't let first post of the page go to waste....

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:23:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kmcale] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DStepec:
It's THE one!  The sling is my repro, the Dewey rod is also my repro since of course Dewey changed the design...
View Quote

Well if you ever do a repro of that guide, keep me in mind ..
Pretty much the last thing I need (aside from the holy grail lower) for my deployment case

This is looking fantastic, just gotta fill up that can spot
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:38:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:01:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By kmcale:

Pretty much the last thing I need (aside from the holy grail lower) for my deployment case

View Quote

I'd be up for a group buy if someone knows a good machinist.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 4:31:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By ArmyPilot12:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ArmyPilot12:

I know a good one just outside Dallas.  Spartan Precision Arms in Melissa.  Marc is a good guy and very knowledgeable.  Makes precision barrels right there at his shop.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 4:38:28 PM EDT
[#6]

I'm not sure how deep you are going into the 12 hole, however, I'd, and believeeee me I know this is hard, but I'd hold out for a surplus 12 case to pop up.  They've been doing so here and there for a year now.  If you find yourself 100% dedicated to doing your own at some point, I'm happy to give you exact dimensions off my issued one. In the meantime, yay case!

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50871001281_5a277c8594_h.jpg
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By teamjawbox:

Thanks for the heads up.  No BIN option, so could get nuts depending how bad folks want one, but I may throw my hat in on it if DSG doesn't get back to me shortly and price stays reasonable.  Otherwise I'll hold my backorder, LOL.  Thanks for the lead.

On a side note, regarding the Pelican 1700 foam, has anyone cut their own?  I've seen folks that have bought milsurp or special ordered foam precut, but has anyone tried to cut their own?  If so, would you mind posting some pics or if I overlooked them in this thread post a page #?

Thanks!!

I'm not sure how deep you are going into the 12 hole, however, I'd, and believeeee me I know this is hard, but I'd hold out for a surplus 12 case to pop up.  They've been doing so here and there for a year now.  If you find yourself 100% dedicated to doing your own at some point, I'm happy to give you exact dimensions off my issued one. In the meantime, yay case!

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50871001281_5a277c8594_h.jpg

Thanks.  I'm gonna dig the 12 hole as deep as I can, but know it's a long game.  I shoot quite frequently and want to get a case setup that's somewhat pseudo clone correct versus throwing it in the backseat like I have been, LOL.  Thought I might try my hand at cutting one as a temp solution and if I ever come across a real milsurp I'll go with that and repurpose the 1700 I already have for other toys.  My intentions could be misguided though.  Thanks for the pic.  I'd def be interested in the measurements if it's not too much trouble.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:12:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ringer706] [#7]

I know a good one just outside Dallas.  Spartan Precision Arms in Melissa.  Marc is a good guy and very knowledgeable.  Makes precision barrels right there at his shop.
View Quote

I would be in for one if there was a run being made.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 7:32:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By ringer706:

View Quote

same, in for one. i'd be in for an original if i could ever find one.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 7:35:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By JLAudio:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JLAudio:

I’d definitely be in for one if these are made
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 8:55:45 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm in for three bore guides if some one kicks off a build on them. I was only going to build the Mod 1 and call it but well this is getting deeper by the day and receivers seem to multiply around the safe.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 9:06:24 PM EDT
[#11]
In for 1 also
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:12:46 PM EDT
[#12]
I can talk to Marc at Spartan Precision and see if he's interested in doing a run.  

So is it basically a JP bore guide with different knurling and anodized black? Seems like a couple years ago this was researched pretty heavily but I can't remember what the verdict was.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:21:45 PM EDT
[#13]
IIRC @Samson-Dogg had some made along with his manual repros. Maybe he can chime in.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:44:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kmcale] [#14]
How common is/was it to see the Diemaco upper used on a Mod 1? Ended up sourcing a couple and trying to decide what to pull apart for them. Mod 0 has an AF right now, debating on swapping for Diemaco, or leaving it and using Diemaco for the Mod 1 and late 0
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:04:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Finally received my #32 mount so now I'm just waiting on the Form 4 for my AEM5.  Can't wait to get this to the range and stretch it out:

Sorry for the bad pics.  Was in a bit of a hurry.

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:13:30 PM EDT
[#16]

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:53:46 PM EDT
[#17]

Nice, is that a repro or the real deal? If you (or anyone) has a set of calipers and could take some measurements for us guys looking to make a batch up, it would certainly be appreciated. Or is there already a blueprint out there that's been shared and I missed it?
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 3:21:18 PM EDT
[#18]

I need that in my life!!!!
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 11:30:21 PM EDT
[#19]
I don't remember who posted the DVOR PRI sale. But I fo'ed on the gen 3 rifle tube, front sight gasblock, and gasbuster charging handle for my mod 0 build.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 11:43:17 PM EDT
[#20]

Nice, is that a repro or the real deal?
View All Quotes

Nice, is that a repro or the real deal?

It's real
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 11:52:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By KrazyL:
I don't remember who posted the DVOR PRI sale. But I fo'ed on the gen 3 rifle tube, front sight gasblock, and gasbuster charging handle for my mod 0 build.
View Quote

You're welcome.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:09:58 PM EDT
[#22]
In for two or three guides
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 6:34:58 PM EDT
[#23]
By my count, and how many I'd be interested in, that's about 13 repro Mk12 bore guides so far. I had a little free time this afternoon so I started looking in to tooling/materials, etc. to see how feasible it would be to have a custom run spun up. Would anyone with an original be willing to loan it out so we could pull measurements from it?
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 6:59:05 PM EDT
[#24]

I think we all know what this means.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 7:04:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Gremyashchy1911:
https://i.imgur.com/Igf6aX3.jpg
I think we all know what this means.
View Quote

Looks like this
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 7:12:46 PM EDT
[#26]
View Quote

Not hardly the two built lowers I bought years back when Brownells started to sell the A1 lowers they are low SN, then just pick up the gray one off the EE.
Not sure if I should make it the Holland or Mod 0.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 7:14:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Gremyashchy1911:

Not hardly the two built lowers I bought years back when Brownells started to sell the A1 lowers they are low SN, then just pick up the gray one off the EE.
Not sure if I should make it the Holland or Mod 0.
View Quote

Looks to me you got one of each started. I suggest you do it
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 7:19:10 PM EDT
[#28]

Looks to me you got one of each started. I suggest you do it
View Quote

Oh its happening  might take a while to finish them all out. Mod 1 is missing a few bits and it will be able to spit bullets, I went and ordered AEMB's for all of them so if those get hard to find in the coming time ill have then.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 8:43:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Anyone know if optics like this were a personal purchase or did specific units purchase?  Guess it could be a combination of the two as well.  Just curious.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:56:13 PM EDT
[#30]
In for two guides as well.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:24:59 AM EDT
[#31]
I’d be in for two bore guides
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 8:22:18 AM EDT
[#32]
In for a bore guide as well
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:26:30 PM EDT
[#33]
I would take one or two as well
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:45:59 PM EDT
[#34]
at the time i did those bore guides we did not have pictures of the real ones. very poor quality pics maybe. the ones i had made were machined in California then anodized here.If someone is having them made ill take 10 or more. the ones i did i sold with manuals,round count log and ballistic card for 62.00 for everything so i dont remember exact cost on the guides alone. if someone has them machined i have a shop right by me that can anodize them. he did the last batch. i think i remember getting 70-80 guides and they were all spoken for before they were finished.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:58:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Samson-Dogg:
at the time i did those bore guides we did not have pictures of the real ones. very poor quality pics maybe. the ones i had made were machined in California then anodized here.If someone is having them made ill take 10 or more. the ones i did i sold with manuals,round count log and ballistic card for 62.00 for everything so i dont remember exact cost on the guides alone. if someone has them machined i have a shop right by me that can anodize them. he did the last batch. i think i remember getting 70-80 guides and they were all spoken for before they were finished.
View Quote

Good to hear, needing 10+ more helps things on my end when it comes to planning. I've got some calls lined up for this afternoon and tomorrow with a few manufacturing connections I've got here in town so I might have a little more to share then. Please PM me on the anodizing, I've got one lead recommended to me already, but especially if they're in the DFW area it would be useful to bid another shop.

As far as accuracy in the design goes, I'm not satisfied unless we're at essentially 1:1 parity with the original. There's enough originals floating around here so I'm optimistic we'll be able to borrow one for referencing. Also, I do intend to build in a small, discreet mark of some kind, likely inside one of the o-ring grooves, just so that down the road no one can easily pass a repro off as original. Nothing that could be noticed without knowing where to look.

Lastly, from an older post I remembered this marking. Does anyone know what this 7 digit number is? I'm assuming it's just a part number, or maybe lot, but if anyone could shed a little light that'd help. For anyone with an original, is yours marked similarly?

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:08:53 PM EDT
[#36]

Good to hear, needing 10+ more helps things on my end when it comes to planning. I've got some calls lined up for this afternoon and tomorrow with a few manufacturing connections I've got here in town so I might have a little more to share then. Please PM me on the anodizing, I've got one lead recommended to me already, but especially if they're in the DFW area it would be useful to bid another shop.

As far as accuracy in the design goes, I'm not satisfied unless we're at essentially 1:1 parity with the original. There's enough originals floating around here so I'm optimistic we'll be able to borrow one for referencing. Also, I do intend to build in a small, discreet mark of some kind, likely inside one of the o-ring grooves, just so that down the road no one can easily pass a repro off as original. Nothing that could be noticed without knowing where to look.

Lastly, from an older post I remembered this marking. Does anyone know what this 7 digit number is? I'm assuming it's just a part number, or maybe lot, but if anyone could shed a little light that'd help. For anyone with an original, is yours marked similarly?

https://i.imgur.com/M5Vqz84.jpg
View Quote

@ringer706 I'd be in for one also
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:23:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By CMCctx:

@ringer706 I'd be in for one also
View Quote

Got your name down. As this progresses I'll be following back up with everyone once I've got a better picture for timeline and cost. If you've expressed interest on this page so far, I've got your name written down. Probably easier to just PM me going forward. I don't want to steamroll this thread with administrative stuff.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:24:09 PM EDT
[#38]
It’s a part number.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:37:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kmcale] [#39]
Late 0 in the works. Have an upper, fsgb on the way, and on NDS wait list. Will be nice to have the final stick to this weapon platform.

Trying imgur image hosting out for a change.. New group photo

ETA: the prospects. They aren't pretty, but they're surplus/take offs.

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:59:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By j-dubya1:
It’s a part number.
View Quote

Figured. Interestingly all the documentation I've got lists the "Custom Bore Guide" part number as 0112. The suppressor is P/N 7614376 which is close, though I'm not sure if there's any relation.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 3:51:24 AM EDT
[#41]
I would be in for 2 boreguides as well. Will there be another run of the operator's manuals and round count books?
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 10:36:43 AM EDT
[#42]
I would say the guy most likely pulled it off a 2010. swapping optics was normal for us also.

Cheers
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 10:37:45 AM EDT
[#43]
Anyone know if optics like this were a personal purchase or did specific units purchase?  Guess it could be a combination of the two as well.  Just curious.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/343681/Screen_Shot_2018-09-13_at_10_04_13_AM_pn-1798271.JPG
View Quote

I would say the guy most likely pulled it off a 2010. swapping optics was normal for us also.

Cheers
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 11:38:11 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By LRS23S:

Cheers
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By LRS23S:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/343681/Screen_Shot_2018-09-13_at_10_04_13_AM_pn-1798271.JPG

Cheers

Thank you kind sir.  I figured it would be something like that and not a unit purchase so that makes sense.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 7:44:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Alright clone nerds, I've got good news for you guys! I'm sending @ringer706 my original bore guide, he's got an engineer and local machine shop getting ready to make replicas! Still some stuff to hammer out, but updates will be posted here once we know more. I'm not sure how he wants to go about taking orders, so please let him respond with how he'll take orders, no need to destroy his inbox (giggity).
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 8:09:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By USMCSGT0331:
Alright clone nerds, I've got good news for you guys! I'm sending @ringer706 my original bore guide, he's got an engineer and local machine shop getting ready to make replicas! Still some stuff to hammer out, but updates will be posted here once we know more. I'm not sure how he wants to go about taking orders, so please let him respond with how he'll take orders, no need to destroy his inbox (giggity).
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/28/2021 8:10:32 PM EDT
[#47]
View Quote

Last piece of the pie for me I think. Thank you very much to the two of you
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 9:09:37 PM EDT
[#48]
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/28/2021 9:38:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ringer706] [#49]
Alright, here's the skinny so far.

///// BIG DISCLAIMER \\\\\

I want to temper expectations from the start. I am 100% committed to making this happen, but a couple things to remember: this is a small order of an essentially custom part. It will take several weeks, perhaps even a few months to see this through. This is also not my day job, so while I do have a relatively good chunk of ongoing free time to commit to this, it is not a full time operation. Additionally, the amount of people working on this is very small, so please keep that in mind. There's only so much we can get to in a day. Lastly and most importantly, at least until the parts are back from machining, I WILL NOT ACCEPT MONEY FROM ANYONE, so please don't offer to send it. Because this is a relatively small run, only a few scrapped parts in manufacturing can dramatically change the cost of producing this. I'll be taking on the financial load up front because I've seen group orders like this go sideways before and I don't want to be responsible for losing any money but my own.

I will be working hard to make sure this comes to fruition, but I can't guarantee anything until I have parts in hand so please be patient with me.

///// END DISCLAIMER \\\\

Alright on to the show. Here's an abbreviated the state of the project as of 01/28/2021. Please try and reserve your questions and I'll try to do a periodic follow up as this thing grows.

- As @USMCSGT0331 pointed out, yes, I will be receiving his original soon to start pulling dimensions. I have an engineer lined up who will be working with me to get a proper CAD model created. This is step one. If anyone else out there is willing to share theirs as well, it'll help with tolerancing but it isn't strictly necessary.

- I am working on getting quoted from a machine shop where I have a connection, but it's going to be hard to firm up anything until we have the CAD model created.

- From the best I can tell in the pictures, it's probably type I or type II anodized. I spoke with two different plating shops today that can do both. Once I've got the original, I'll run it by them to see what they think and then we can try and lock in the price. This is like step 7.

- I addressed this concern briefly in another post, but to allay an fears about folks trying to pass these off as originals in the future, a distinguishing mark, both inconspicuous and also difficult to remove will be added. This is a no-compromise feature. Accuracy in replication matters, so it won't be anything outwardly visible, but since this is part of the still nebulous machining process, I'm not going to say any more on that until that I'm able to provide concrete answers. Know that this is a priority though.

- Regarding engraved part numbers, I still don't have a clear picture on how prolific they are on actual issued bore guides, or if that number is even consistent. They may have been used early on and dropped later but I have no idea. I haven't seen any firm explanation on them so if anyone does, please share. I am looking in to incorporating that element into the design, but again, nothing set in stone. IF this gets added, THEN I'll worry about seeing who wants what. Please don't bog me down with engraving requests.

- I already have a list of usernames and rough quantities captured from the thread and PMs. If you've already posted a response or PM'd me, I have you written down.

- I can't commit to any firm numbers right now on how big the order size will be, but I'm eyeing approximately 50 to start. However that may be subject to change. If all goes well and there's still demand, I will do subsequent runs. I just can't afford to spin up 100-150 of these things off the start and only wind up getting rid of 30.

- I also have no firm window on pricing. I will definitely be north of $30, but I really have NO WAY of telling at this point in the game. When there's a price to share, I will share it, so please hold off on that question for now, but I want to make this as reasonably priced as I can.

- As for ordering, again, really don't have much in place right now. This is a later-stage process. My focus is on getting it made right now and I'll shift to this later on.

In conclusion, y'all are fucking weirdos and I love it. Please never change. I'll continue to trickle updates as I have things worth updating.

SHAMELESS SELF PROMOTION :
Still on the hunt for an issued Mod 1 case, so if you got one, let me know.

EDIT I : If you're in the DFW area and interested in helping, many hands make light work. If you're in the area and are able to offer assistance, please feel free to PM me.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 9:48:39 PM EDT
[#50]
Ill up my order to 2, possibly 3 depending on finished price. Thanks for putting this together. This and the sling is all I need to complete the case. Russia paint A1 GM Hydramatic lower in inbound in March to round things out.

Page / 1178
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top