Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2009 3:06:04 PM EDT
I'm looking for a AR15 for duty use. I am looking at roughly 3-4 rifles, some piston and some direct impingement operated. Price is an issue considering I will require some glass, a light and perhaps a front handle or a combination thereof. I will be shooting the heavier rounds therefore I would prefer the 1 in 7 barrels however I realize that there are some good quality 1 in 9s. I'm not going to limit myself there. I do prefer the heavier barrels since I need the capability to take shots out at 200-400yds. Most work will be 15-100yds. I have also included the price to gauge if I have found a good deal.....or if I should look much much harder.

I could use any experience, advice and/or comparison you can offer. Everyone "likes" or prefers this or that. What I want to know is WHY. I am interested in opinions however more on concrete facts such as torture tests, relative personal experience and/or ownership. I'm looking for any concrete advice based on fact, experience or actual use. I'm not completely new to AR15s, however, this will be my first serious duty AR that will have to withstand some heavy round counts, serious elements(mostly heat) and some significant humidity.

The couple of models I am considering are as follows:

-Make––––––––––––––Model–––––––––––––––––––Caliber––––––-Barrel length––––––Price(s)

LWRC––––––––––––M6A2 -black––––––––––––––––––––5.56––––––––––-16"––––––––––––––-2,165

Sig Sauer––––––––SIG556 SWAT Quad rail––––––––––––5.56––––––––––-17"––––––––––––––-1,400

Colt Arms––––––––Model 6920––––––-–––––––––––––-–-5.56––––––––––-16"––––––––––––––-

Option 4- - - - - - - - Buy a bare bones rifle and build it up - - - - - - - - - - - 16" - - - - - - - - - -Cost__

Couple of notes:

I like the LWRC M6A2 the best. Its more than the rest however its specs are very nice out of the box. Unlike the Sig556, I like that its piston based, however, I can still swap parts with most AR15s. The M&P's attraction for me is simply the price. I have never owned an M&P. I am siding towards a piston based due to their tendency to run cooler since it is very hot and humid here. Ultimately I want a platform that I can rely on...thats the bottom line. I don't want to start a piston vs direct impingement discussion. THIS IS NOT THE PURPOSE OF MY POST!  I simply want to compare individual rifle's track records and history.

Finally feel free to suggest a rifle but PLEASE tell me WHY?
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 3:12:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Colt. Check 'em out. I hear they make the M4 for the military.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 3:21:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Currently 6920s can be had for the same price as S&W .... these rifles are made by some random guys ... don't know if they have a lot of experience doing this.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 3:31:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Direct Impingement works...  Why spend the extra money for the Gas Piston, use the money for accessories.

Colt and LMT make oustanding rifles that would fill your requirements.  I would stay clear of the Sig.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 3:33:16 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a Colt AR-15 A2 Govt carb. For years it was my truck gun. My truck guns see a lot of in and out. Even though they are locked  in a underseat box they are in and out of the truck 2-3 times a week. It has since been replaced with a SP-1 carbine with a sure fire light.

I keep it simple (no optics) as my tricked out gun (light, forgrip, optic and sling) used to snag on stuff exiting and entering the vehicle.

If i were to go with something with optics a flat top with something like a ACOG would be as realistic as anything.

I use the Colts because they work well and are very reliable for me. I only shoot factory ammo and clean and lube liberally.

Stick to the shorter barell. I  am considering my next build to be a 14" Larue Tactical Stealth with there stripped lower and a Colt CBG. To each there own brand and operating system wise.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 3:39:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Colt 6920, it's the standard by which all others are judged.  Or a complete BCM.  You can't go wrong with either.

Then add an Aimpoint, it will be fine for the ranges you mentioned.  A sling and possibly a light and you should be GTG.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:00:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I would suggest the 6920 as well.  We use Colt M4A1's as a service weapon with either an acog or eotech on top.  Since this is a full auto it's prob gonna be a no go for you.  But the equivalent is the 6920.  Only difference is a 16 in barrel as opposed to the 14.5 and the FA switch.  I have two 6920's that I practice with.  Very accurate and very reliable.  Check out Phoenix Law Enforcement and since you're an LEO you can get it for $1120 shipped.  That's what I did.  You can go through your dept. or not if you choose not to.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:04:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Option 4 except insert Colt 6920 in the Model column. I don't drink the KoolAid, but it is your best option in my opinion. Use the extra you would spend on the LWRC and buy your glass. I love my ACOG but I don't know if it would be the best for your application. Only you know that.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:15:56 PM EDT
[#9]
We're issued the Colt M4 and I have a 6920 to take to training classes since I can't take the M4 home. You might also look into the BCM and Daniel Defense rifles.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:32:28 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a S&W MP15X for SWAT and Patrol it has been 100% so far. I would steer away from a piston just because no one makes them the same. Carbine parts are universal for the most part. The Smith is very accurate with the 62gr Speer Gold Dots I carry. I know you can get some real good LE pricing on them as well. If you ever have a problem with S&W and need to send it in, They give LE weapons priority. I have mine setup with an Aimpoint M3 with LaRue mount and an FUG and light, I also run Magpul MS2 and asp plate, this offers me much versatility when wearing full gear. There are many other great rifles as well and in my opinion SLR15 rifles and training are hard to beat give Sully a call and you will see why. I see you in TX, here in WI the wheather goes to extremes from -30 in winter to 100+ in the summer with rain, sleet and snow and has never been an issue. Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:44:12 PM EDT
[#11]
I will honestly say I have not devoted much research time to the Colt 6920.

Thank you for all your suggestions.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:45:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Colt is a great wepon. Just remember there is a lot of Koolaid drinkers on here.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:50:10 PM EDT
[#13]
If you are looking at Colt I would also recommend Bravo Company.  Great prices and customer service and yes I have one and love it!!!
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:55:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Colt is a great wepon. Just remember there is a lot of Koolaid drinkers on here.

And for a good reason

(hint: mentioned in your first sentence)
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:55:15 PM EDT
[#15]
I see no reason for piston unless you are going extended periods without cleaning after 2500+ rounds down the pipe.  It only becomes an issue after 1K and then doesnt really start to cause major problems til after another 1500.  Stick with LMT, BCM or Colt and stay inside of Mil-spec on all part.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:56:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

hahaha....yes, as much as I appreciate all the good advice and direction. In the end I will have to meet my specific application and needs first. Reliability and durability being the first two...and in that order as well.  

I'll have to sift through all the posts for the best ideas that meet or help me meet these requirements.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 5:00:44 PM EDT
[#17]

Does Bravo Company sell complete rifles?

I checked out their site but was unable to find a link or area for complete BCM mid-length rifles.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 5:01:50 PM EDT
[#18]
If you really feel the need to buy an LWRC for duty use go for it, they make a great weapon.  I carry a 6920 for duty use and would trust my life with it.  It's been a very reliable weapon for me.  A couple of things that I would look at are what are your funds, is this a weapon that you may use for swat or is this primarily for road patrol.  

I use mine specifically for patrol use and with how much that it actually gets deployed, I could not see spending an extra thousand just to have a piston gun when my 6920 has never failed me.  Either way if a piston gun is what you want, go with the LWRC because you will not be dissapointed, but with my experience the 6920 would serve you well.  There is a reason why Colt has made M4's for the military so long.  THEY WORK.  .  I personally would spend the extra cash on optics/lights/mags and ammo to train with.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 5:04:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

hahaha....yes, as much as I appreciate all the good advice and direction. In the end I will have to meet my specific application and needs first. Reliability and durability being the first two...and in that order as well.  

I'll have to sift through all the posts for the best ideas that meet or help me meet these requirements.

I would look at the guns that are in T&E use for EAG Tactical.  The Colt and the Bravo Company offerings have made it through tens of thousands of trouble free rounds.  

Here is a quote from Pat Rogers on another forum:

I'll admit my bias here, both to Colt and Bravo Company.

We have a lot of Colts in the armory, but now- more BCM's.

I have been running Colt's for a long time, and never a proplem to speak of.
I have been running BCM for 3.5 years now, and amd completely satisfied with them.

The 6920 is the Gold Standard. The 6940 T&E i have has seen 14250 rds, no cleaning, no problems.

I have run a lot of BCM T&E guns, and have had excellent results.

Colt is a Big Company and has made several million AR's. They started it and know what they are doing.

Paul is a small company and has made substantially less guns.

However, i can pick up the phone and call Paul 24/7 (and have).
I have had uppers and parts overnighted to me on multiple occassions- to include last Friday.

I have friends at Colt but that service is impossible from a big company.

They are both great companies and both make great guns. Their guns are to spec (with exception of F/A parts).
I have no clue what fit and finish means nor do i care. What goes into the guns is waaaay more important to me.

You would be well served by either.
My preference is Bravo Company.

Just sayin'...

S/F

Pat sends
www.eagtactical.com

If you are looking for real world expirience, I think it would be harder to find more than his.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 5:05:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I checked out their site but was unable to find a link or area for complete BCM mid-length rifles.

Bravo doesn't sell them complete, but this place does, and for a good price too:

BCM 16" Middy

BCM 16" CAR
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 5:05:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

G&R Tactical is an authorized dealer for Bravo Comapany.  They currently sell complete BCM rifles.  I would highly suggest either getting one of them or a Colt 6920.

ETA - see post above me.  I was beat to it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 6:09:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Don't count out Noveske as well.  They are just a little harder to find.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 6:50:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 6:57:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Colt 6920 or the LMT, BCM, or DD equivalent.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:36:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 9:23:56 PM EDT
[#26]
I have a few recommendations, which will be repetitive from some other posts. I own 13 AR variants and a few more that are duplicates. If I had to pick two AR Brands and ditch the rest, they would be:

Lewis Machine & Tool (LMT)
- Defender Model or CQB MRP Rifle

&
Colt
- LE 6920 or 6940 Rifle

In my experience, they are built to high standards and ready for service out of the box. The quality is noticeable.I prefer a Heavy Buffer, FA BCG and 1-in-7 Twist Rate Barrels to stabilize heavier bullets. I know there are a lot of other very good rifles but these are my favorites.

Optics:  Trijicon ACOG for 100m+ Targets or an Aimpoint for close (Comp ML3, M3, M4, or M4s)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top