BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 11/20/2008 6:29:59 PM EDT
I bought my first 2 new Colts last week, a 6920 and a 6721, and they just arrived today. Mechanically they seem perfect, but appear to have some cosmetic flaws.

1. Diagonal milling marks on the front of the magazine well.

2. Small scratches and nicks on the edge of the lower receiver, by the rear take down pin.

3. Uneven, sloppy finish on the bolt carrier.

4. Rear sights that wiggle, a lot...on both rifles.

Have you guys experienced these minor flaws with new Colts? They are minor issues and after some use I might expect such things, but not on brand new rifles. I will try to get some pics.

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:36:41 PM EDT
[#1]

Unbelievable. It wasn't long ago that I would have said that I wouldn't expect these issues on a NEW gun. But now I think we'll be seeing more. I wouldn't be overly thrilled about it. You could contact Colt and see what they have to say, leave it as-is, or look into a new finish. How deep are those marks on the lower? Do you have PICS?
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:37:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't know about #s 1, 2 & 3, but if you are referring to the rear sights on the carry handles in #4, well, that's the way they're designed to be.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:39:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Been hearing this about Colts quite a bit lately.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:42:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I bought my first 2 new Colts last week, a 6920 and a 6721, and they just arrived today. Mechanically they seem perfect, but appear to have some cosmetic flaws.

2. Small scratches and nicks on the edge of the lower receiver, by the rear take down pin.

Have you guys experienced these minor flaws with new Colts? They are minor issues and after some use I might expect such things, but not on brand new rifles. I will try to get some pics.

You got my 2 favorite Colts.  Post some pics so we can see what your talking about.

Mine were NOT perfect finish wise, but afterall it IS a Battle Rifle.

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:43:30 PM EDT
[#5]
To be expected from Colt.  It is a tool and as such the cosmetic issues are not a huge priority to Colt.  Last 6920 I saw was perfect but it's hit or miss.  The rifle itself is top shelf.  The amount of QC on the things that matter is second to none.  It sucks spending a lot of money and having some blemishes and scratches but it's par for the course.  Give Colt a call, they will probably take care of it for you.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:50:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Confused, what were the flaws?

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:51:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Sights are spring loaded.

Carrier finish, WTF???? It slides back and forth, it's just a protective coating.

Milling marks on front of mag well, see that on LOTS of ARs, do the mags work correctly in it? Lock in and drop freely? Thats an area that is machined, milling marks are the norm.

Don't like to see scratches and marks but you'll see that on almost any AR you buy and if their anodized over then big deal, it's a forging and not machined to a fine finish, nor were they ever. Sides are not really machined, thats just the forge finish.

They WORK, thats what you pay for, not for a hi polished buff finish.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:54:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Its not a HUGE issue. Both rifles should function 100%, they just appear 99%. With the 6721 I don’t care as much because I plan to shoot the crap of it...use it like the weapon it is.

However, the 6920 is a 6920HB, 1 of 300 made. I have always wanted one so I decided to finally get one before they disappear. I planned to save and baby it more than shoot it. I’m just frustrated that I paid so much and is isn’t 100%.

I didn’t know how “normal” this is.

Mmcfpd,
So the rear sight on the removable carry handle is designed to have some right/left wiggle? Do you now why that is?

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:57:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Think about the intended purpose of a Colt. They aren't safe queens, they are built to be abused right out of the box.

Does it suck that your rifle isn't cosmetically perfect? Yes.

Will your Colts go bang every time you pull the trigger? Yes.

If you want an AR with a flawless finish that you never intend to scratch up, build a custom rifle out of a billet upper and lower.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:58:16 PM EDT
[#10]
This is not uncommon. I have one and it has a few marks on it from the factory. No big deal because I use it and it works perfect. This is what I am most concerned with. This doesn't mean that you should just be cool with it because I am, you paid good money and you should be satisfied. So call Colt and see what they say. They don't have bad service like a lot like to say, so I wouldn't be concerned about them not helping.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 7:31:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
So the rear sight on the removable carry handle is designed to have some right/left wiggle? Do you now why that is?

I don't remember the reason right now, but detachable carry handle and A2 rear sights all do that.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 7:58:56 PM EDT
[#12]
I just saw a new 6920 in the gun shop last week.

The finish on the receiver was fine, but I did note a few minor marks (like small scratches) on the barrel.

As other replies have noted, this is not a big priority for Colt, and I wouldn't be too concerned about it if I were you.  Think of them as "beauty marks" that make your rifle unique.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 8:30:53 PM EDT
[#13]
"However, the 6920 is a 6920HB, 1 of 300 made. I have always wanted one so I decided to finally get one before they disappear. I planned to save and baby it more than shoot it. I’m just frustrated that I paid so much and is isn’t 100%."

I too have one of the 6920HBs, 1 of 300 made,  from Specialized Armament Warehouse; got it a few years ago.  It also had some blemishes in various spots as well.  Tonight, I took delivery of a standard issue 6920, probably made late Summer or early Fall (based on the serial number).  One beautiful weapon; no blemishes or marks whatsoever.  I may put this one away for a while.  My earlier 6920HB has been my saddle rifle.  I own a ranch here in New Mexico and I have used that 6920HB as a replacement for my Model 94 Winchester.  I carry the Colt in a special made leather scabbard and use it for varmits and predators.  Problems in recent years with Cougars attacking yearlings.  My foreman still carries a model 1892 Winchester.  Haven't convinced him to try the black rifle.

Regards,
OH58D
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 8:56:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Sorry to hear this and I hope you get the problem resolved! Colt is pure hype and compared to some of the newer brands like Sabre the Colt is junk. I constantly hear about these problems with Colt. I can't believe people still buy Colt when quality is obviously very low and they shit on the American gun owner.

F*** Colt and I hope they burn in hell!!!!

Sorry, had to rant!
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 8:59:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Sorry to hear this and I hope you get the problem resolved! Colt is pure hype and compared to some of the newer brands like Sabre the Colt is junk. I constantly hear about these problems with Colt. I can't believe people still buy Colt when quality is obviously very low and they shit on the American gun owner.

Sorry, had to rant!

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 9:04:03 PM EDT
[#16]
And to think, if someone had spend that much on a 1911, and it had scratches like that- they'd throw an absolute shitfit, and it's much easier to make an AR than it is to make a 1911.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 9:06:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry, had to rant!

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 9:13:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
And to think, if someone had spend that much on a 1911, and it had scratches like that- they'd throw an absolute shitfit, and it's much easier to make an AR than it is to make a 1911.

The AR is a WORKING gun, it's never been a showpiece of scuptured curves and polished finishes. AT least the front sights are put on correctly, they are not bent or canted, the BBL is indexed correctly, the bolt and BBL are tested and the gun is actually fired to make sure it works.

There are plenty of other AR manufacturers that don't bother to even do the above before they sell them to the public. Heck, I read about them all the time in the "help!" section. I'd rather buy an AR that had a few cosmetic flaws but ran for thousands and thousands of rounds then a flawlwss looking POS that can't make it thru a mag without an issue.

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 9:21:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Can you read the beginning please.......

Quoted:
Quoted:

Confused, what were the flaws?

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 9:29:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Sorry, had to rant!

Let me guess you have a Sabre and it has to be the best. You shouldn't talk when it is clear you really have little knowledge other than what you hear. I hear that Bushy has some problems, but I have had no problems with them. When someone states that LMT, or Colt or Sabre are junk it is really hard for me to believe they have anything to add other than bashing what they don't have.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 9:30:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The AR is a WORKING gun, it's never been a showpiece of scuptured curves and polished finishes. AT least the front sights are put on correctly, they are not bent or canted, the BBL is indexed correctly, the bolt and BBL are tested and the gun is actually fired to make sure it works.

There are plenty of other AR manufacturers that don't bother to even do the above before they sell them to the public. Heck, I read about them all the time in the "help!" section. I'd rather buy an AR that had a few cosmetic flaws but ran for thousands and thousands of rounds then a flawlwss looking POS that can't make it thru a mag without an issue.

For the Price he paid he SHOULD get an AR with a perfect fit and finish and function 100%. Sabre delivers this and so does several other brands so why the F*** can't Colt do the same? Colts work fine but they suck in fit and finish dept forthe $$$ you spend on them.
Do you buy a new Corvette with scratches all over it and justify it by saying "messed up paint is fine because it still runs like a raped ape"? I think not and you Colt fan boys need to stop drinking the kool-aid!

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 9:32:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry, had to rant!

Let me guess you have a Sabre and it has to be the best. You shouldn't talk when it is clear you really have little knowledge other than what you hear. I hear that Bushy has some problems, but I have had no problems with them. When someone states that LMT, or Colt or Sabre are junk it is really hard for me to believe they have anything to add other than bashing what they don't have.

This man speaks the troof...
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 9:33:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry, had to rant!

Yes I have a Sabre along with a Bush Master, 2 RRA's and a Colt that is 15 years old(the finish is fine on mine btw).

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 9:34:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

For the Price he paid he SHOULD get an AR with a perfect fit and finish and function 100%. Sabre delivers this and so does several other brands so why the F*** can't Colt do the same? Colts work fine but they suck in fit and finish dept forthe $$$ you spend on them.
Do you buy a new Corvette with scratches all over it and justify it buy saying "messed up paint is fine because it still runs like a raped ape"? I think not and you Colt fan boys need to stop drinking the kool-aid!

How many Colts do you own? I personally have a 6920 and the fit and finish is flawless, I mean beautiful. There is absolutely zero play between the upper and lower. You are making a generalization obviously based on what your dealer told you at the local gun shop when he didn't have any Colts in stock to sell you and convinced you they were shit anyways, and to buy the Sabre instead. Nothing wrong with Sabre BTW.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 9:37:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry, had to rant!

Yes I have a Sabre along with a Bush Master, 2 RRA's and a Colt that is 15 years old(the finish is fine on mine btw).

I agree with you that Colt does have problems with finish. But being junk is just not true. I do believe that Colt isn't the best rifle out there at this time. I would have to give that to LMT or Noveske. Sabre isn't bad rifle either. I don't own one but I have looked one over close and it appear to be very close to Colt and the others maybe better. I am not 100% sure how much testing they do on their rifles but they are impressive.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 9:38:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Colts work fine but they suck in fit and finish dept forthe $$$ you spend on them.

Quoted:
and a Colt that is 15 years old(the finish is fine on mine btw).

Hmmm... contradictory much?
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 9:43:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you buy a new Corvette with scratches all over it and justify it buy saying "messed up paint is fine because it still runs like a raped ape"? I think not and you Colt fan boys need to stop drinking the kool-aid!

How many Colts do you own? I personally have a 6920 and the fit and finish is flawless, I mean beautiful. There is absolutely zero play between the upper and lower. You are making a generalization obviously based on what your dealer told you at the local gun shop when he didn't have any Colts in stock to sell you and convinced you they were shit anyways, and to buy the Sabre instead. Nothing wrong with Sabre BTW.

I only have 1 Colt but have seen fit and finish problems on many. My Colt is also fine but is over 15 years old. I think Colt stopped giving a shit a while back. I like mine and will never sell it along with my 4 other AR's.....I'm just saying Colt is no longer the the maker it once was. Just like Sig now sucks! I love Sig but in recent years their QC absolutely fell apart. I have 10 old Sigs that are great in every way. My last 4 over the last 2 years have been jam-0-matics and the factory failed to get them running right.
You can tell by my user name I love Sigs. It took me a while to admit that Sig today is junk. I stopped drinking the kool-aid and you Colt guys should do the same.....much better AR's out there to waste time with Colt.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 9:47:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Colts work fine but they suck in fit and finish dept forthe $$$ you spend on them.

Quoted:
and a Colt that is 15 years old(the finish is fine on mine btw).

Hmmm... contradictory much?

I'm saying that Colt is not perfect. I Feel the Colt of years ago are better then today's. I'm lucky that I can afford any gun I want. In recent years I have looked at countless Colts and I'm not impressed. Other top tier brands offer a better gun.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 9:51:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry, had to rant!

I agree with you that Colt does have problems with finish. But being junk is just not true. I do believe that Colt isn't the best rifle out there at this time. I would have to give that to LMT or Noveske. Sabre isn't bad rifle either. I don't own one but I have looked one over close and it appear to be very close to Colt and the others maybe better. I am not 100% sure how much testing they do on their rifles but they are impressive.

Sorry, I don't mean to offend you or any Colt owner(hey I'm one). They are not junk and work as a user rifle should. For the money Colt asks for their firearms they should be finished much better and also be more consistant about it.....that is what I'm pissed about.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 9:54:21 PM EDT
[#30]
You explained your stance in a mature and forthright manner, I respect your opinion and concede that if my Colt had shown up with a flawed finish, yes I too would have been pissed. Colt or not.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 9:56:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I try and stay away from the weekly "my Colt has a flaw thread" but, what do you think the 1911 is?  The 1911 is a working gun just as much if not more so than an AR.  Both guns have had service time and both are sold to the public.  Joe civi does not buy a Colt to go bash it around inside a GMV.  Just like he does not buy a Colt 1911 to scrape along some brick wall while on his hip in the holster.  The public buys weapons for lots of reasons, and Colt should strive to turn out weapons that a flawless when you pull them out of the box.  I just pulled a M110 out the it's deployment case a couple months ago and guess what, not a mark on that gun.  If a .gov contractor can deliver a flawless weapon to uncle sam, colt should be able to deliver their weapons to the public without fucking them up at the factory.  For all that so called QC I sure see this a lot of guns with blemishes, it also happens with their 1911's BTW.  

As for the guns a tool, I have multiple thousands in Snap-on and Matco tools.  They are all blemished to some degree from use.  If the Snap-On dealer sold me a 15 dollar socket with a blemish I would tell him to shove it up his ass.  I use Colt's for a living and to defend my life but I will never buy one on the civi market because I want to mark up my guns, the factory shouldn't.  A poor finish or milling marks where they shouldn't be is a lack of attention to detail.  What else did they say "good enough for government work"?
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 9:57:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Sorry, had to rant!

Sorry, but IMO you've lost all objectivity here. I own both Sabre and Colt. I have two very good friends who have Colts. I agree Sabre is a fine rifle. In fact, I'd hate to have to live on the practical difference between my Sabre and my Colt. But to say Colt is "junk" is simply insane. They make great rifles. That has been proven so often over so many years that it is indisputable fact. Every one I've seen or handled (and that's quite a few) were outstanding. I love mine, my friends love theirs.

Sounds like Colt envy to me.  
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 10:00:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry, had to rant!

Sorry, I don't mean to offend you or any Colt owner(hey I'm one). They are not junk and work as a user rifle should. For the money Colt asks for their firearms they should be finished much better and also be more consistant about it.....that is what I'm pissed about.

I am not offended at all. I agree 100% with you that Colt needs to do a better job with their finish if they want to compete with LMT, Sabre etc. It is rare for me to see a Noveske or LMT with finish problems. On the other hand Colt seems to let them out more often. Granted Colt's operate as well as any, they do need to improve some to catch up with some of the others on finish. To some owners finish doesn't mean a lot but to many retail customers it does. If they ever lose the military contracts they will have to tighten up a little on the looks of the rifle to satisfy the public, which at this point is not their main concern.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 10:03:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
You explained your stance in a mature and forthright manner, I respect your opinion and concede that if my Colt had shown up with a flawed finish, yes I too would have been pissed. Colt or not.

That is cool! Thanks!

I own over 50 firearms and most are pristine. I am a user thought and not a collector. I use all of my guns but I care for them greatly and I believe if you take care of your gear your gear will take care of you.
Now some of my guns have scars but by golly I put them there! I don't want the factory to put scratches on my gun before I can! The 1st one always hurts the most.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 10:05:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry, had to rant!

Sorry, but IMO you've lost all objectivity here. I own both Sabre and Colt. I have two very good friends who have Colts. I agree Sabre is a fine rifle. In fact, I'd hate to have to live on the practical difference between my Sabre and my Colt. But to say Colt is "junk" is simply insane. They make great rifles. That has been proven so often over so many years that it is indisputable fact. Every one I've seen or handled (and that's quite a few) were outstanding. I love mine, my friends love theirs.

Sounds like Colt envy to me.  

Read my other posts in this topic about my "junk" statment. BTW I also own a Colt too.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 11:35:19 PM EDT
[#36]
I didn't make this, but I won't tell you guys where I found it, because anything within an 87 mile radius would be destroyed!

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 11:40:50 PM EDT
[#37]
The charts BS
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 12:50:07 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
To be expected from Colt.  It is a tool and as such the cosmetic issues are not a huge priority to Colt.  Last 6920 I saw was perfect but it's hit or miss.  The rifle itself is top shelf.  The amount of QC on the things that matter is second to none.  It sucks spending a lot of money and having some blemishes and scratches but it's par for the course.  Give Colt a call, they will probably take care of it for you.

Part of QC is cosmetic. Its what I do for a living. I work for a outdoor power equipment manufacturer. The equipment we make will get smashed, dinged, dented and wailed on the first time out in the field. Way more than any rifle will.

BUT it doesn't matter. A customer is paying a lot of money for something. That something should be perfect showroom quality when it reaches the customer. The excuse that its a tool is a cover for poor workmanship. This is what our chinese vendors say to get us to use their shit out-of-spec parts.

I'd return it. Get something from someone who cares about producing quality work. Not everyone sends out scratched dinged up parts and expects you to like it.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 1:19:00 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Yep...there's countless posts about this on multiple forums.  Is it unacceptable?  To me, yes.  Most of the Colt ass-kissers justify it buy claiming "it's a tool, it's not supposed to look perfect".  Well, in that case if you bought a new tool from Sears if it has a gash in it or something like that would you exchange it for one without any marks, or just walk out with that one?  99% of people would swap it out before they left.

That is one of a few reasons I buy Sabre Defence instead of Colt.  They are a better made weapon IMO.

Quoted:

Unbelievable. It wasn't long ago that I would have said that I wouldn't expect these issues on a NEW gun.

You will on a Colt, and good luck trying to get them to make it right.  Colt doesn't give a shit about their civilian market, doesn't care for their weapons in civilian hands, and has not tried to hide that fact for a while now.

They can have their military contracts, because I won't be giving them any of my money nor will any of my friends.  Piss on Colt.

Quoted:
Part of QC is cosmetic. Its what I do for a living. I work for a outdoor power equipment manufacturer. The equipment we make will get smashed, dinged, dented and wailed on the first time out in the field. Way more than any rifle will.

BUT it doesn't matter. A customer is paying a lot of money for something. That something should be perfect showroom quality when it reaches the customer. The excuse that its a tool is a cover for poor workmanship. This is what our chinese vendors say to get us to use their shit out-of-spec parts.

I'd return it. Get something from someone who cares about producing quality work. Not everyone sends out scratched dinged up parts and expects you to like it.

Finally someone that not only knows what QC is, but does it for a living.

OP, there's your answer.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 1:42:02 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I didn't make this, but I won't tell you guys where I found it, because anything within an 87 mile radius would be destroyed!

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/6110/chartcoltlawlshg7.jpg

One way this chart is BS is that it lists S&W and Stag seperatly. Last I checked Stag Made S&W's AR's. This chart lists totaly different specs between the 2.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 1:59:20 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

One way this chart is BS is that it lists S&W and Stag seperatly. Last I checked Stag Made S&W's AR's. This chart lists totaly different specs between the 2.

lol...did you actually read the bottom?  It's a "spoof" of the original chart.

I have to admit though, the shit added at the bottom may very well be more accurate than the rest of the chart...lol
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 3:14:50 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope the chart is not BS at all.  CMT (stag) makes a lot of parts for many AR "manufactureres" (assemblers).  This doesn't mean that an S&W MP comes off the same line as a Stag complete rifle.  I don't think the S&W uses the same parts as when it started production either.  Also the chart denotes certain practices such as staking, MPI testing, etc that would be done by the end assembler a lot of times.

Don't pass on bad information please.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 3:22:11 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know exactly what QC is.  But by all means go buy a rifle that looks pretty but skips all the important steps to save a couple bucks.  Some companies put more time into superficial QC than into where it counts.  No other manufacturer has anywhere close to the QC that Colt has.  Colt is a true manufacturer as well, in a sea of assemblers.

So your saying because the chinese stuff is out of spec, and they give you the same reason that Colt is out of spec  Colt owns the TDP.  They ARE the spec.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 3:43:26 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

You will on a Colt, and good luck trying to get them to make it right.  Colt doesn't give a shit about their civilian market, doesn't care for their weapons in civilian hands, and has not tried to hide that fact for a while now.

Absolute BS.  Have you had any expirience with Colt CS, recent or otherwise, or are you just basing this statement on internet rumor?
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 3:48:33 AM EDT
[#45]
Here we go again.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 3:54:36 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I know exactly what QC is.  But by all means go buy a rifle that looks pretty but skips all the important steps to save a couple bucks.  Some companies put more time into superficial QC than into where it counts.  No other manufacturer has anywhere close to the QC that Colt has.  Colt is a true manufacturer as well, in a sea of assemblers.

So your saying because the chinese stuff is out of spec, and they give you the same reason that Colt is out of spec  Colt owns the TDP.  They ARE the spec.

Some Quality Assurance departments choose to let blemishes, defects, dings, flaws etc go through. The good companies maintain the engineering specifications to the letter. QC entails more than just measuring a part to a print. Its about the overal quality of the part. Cosmetic, fit, function, finish, packaging, all go into the final quality of the product. Good companies go upstream to the suppliers and sort through their QC process. If parts start coming through all dinged up from sloppy handling, good companies get corrective actions to prevent the root cause from happening again.

I haven't seen Colts QC department, but it sounds to me they are a fit/form/function-only type of company. If it works, send it through. It it looks like shit, colt doesn't care.

Just because a company was the first to produce and holds the military spec, doesn't mean they hold themselves to it. If you buy company X's products, then go get their engineering prints, I betcha $1000 there's some spec that doesn't measure up. I haven't seen the specs, so I don't know if scratches, mill marks, part to part impact is ok with them. Its not like singing or music, there's not free reign to make it whatever you want just because its yours.

Its all about the customer in the end. QC departments know this.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 4:07:58 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some Quality Assurance departments choose to let blemishes, defects, dings, flaws etc go through. The good companies maintain the engineering specifications to the letter. QC entails more than just measuring a part to a print. Its about the overal quality of the part. Cosmetic, fit, function, finish, packaging, all go into the final quality of the product. Good companies go upstream to the suppliers and sort through their QC process. If parts start coming through all dinged up from sloppy handling, good companies get corrective actions to prevent the root cause from happening again.

I haven't seen Colts QC department, but it sounds to me they are a fit/form/function-only type of company. If it works, send it through. It it looks like shit, colt doesn't care.

Just because a company was the first to produce and holds the military spec, doesn't mean they hold themselves to it. If you buy company X's products, then go get their engineering prints, I betcha $1000 there's some spec that doesn't measure up. I haven't seen the specs, so I don't know if scratches, mill marks, part to part impact is ok with them. Its not like singing or music, there's not free reign to make it whatever you want just because its yours.

Its all about the customer in the end. QC departments know this.

Well considering Colt does the majority of the machining on site, theres really no one else to go upstream to.  Remeber they are a real manufacturer not just a parts bin assembler.  They follow the TDP spec.  The do a ton of testing, maybe someone will jump in in give the rundown.

When company X focuses the majority of QC on how tight the upper and lower fit together and how smooth the finish is, while not doing proper staking, using lower grade metals, skipping 80% of the tests Colt does, etc I find that to be a disservice to the customer.  The customer beleives they have a superior product based on superficial appearances.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 5:17:48 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:Well considering Colt does the majority of the machining on site, theres really no one else to go upstream to.  Remeber they are a real manufacturer not just a parts bin assembler.  They follow the TDP spec.  The do a ton of testing, maybe someone will jump in in give the rundown.

When company X focuses the majority of QC on how tight the upper and lower fit together and how smooth the finish is, while not doing proper staking, using lower grade metals, skipping 80% of the tests Colt does, etc I find that to be a disservice to the customer.  The customer beleives they have a superior product based on superficial appearances.

Right...because Colt is only supposed to QC their parts, who gives a damn about appearance or fit/finish.  Funny how Sabre can put out rifles that make Colt look like shit and perform just as well.  If that isn't proof of better QC I don't know what is.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 5:42:41 AM EDT
[#49]
You paid for a new rifle so if you feel it isnt to your expectations call Colt and they'll probley change it out for you. What cracks me up is all these Colt fanboys saying "Its a battle rifle its not supposed to be perty" when they know darn well if this was a Bushmaster thread their reply would be "Thats what you get when you buy low teir junk"
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 5:50:13 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
You paid for a new rifle so if you feel it isnt to your expectations call Colt and they'll probley change it out for you. What cracks me up is all these Colt fanboys saying "Its a battle rifle its not supposed to be perty" when they know darn well if this was a Bushmaster thread their reply would be "Thats what you get when you buy low teir junk"

Exactly.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top