Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2005 4:20:24 AM EDT
I have several guns now and think that it is time to get a nice gun safe.  I don’t know much about them and need some help.  I have about 4 handguns, 3 shotguns and 3 rifles.  I plan on buying some more.  I have about $500 to around $1000 to spend.  Where do you keep the safe?  What brands are best?  What accessories do you suggest?  Do you keep the ammo in the safe?
Thanks for your help.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:44:27 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I have several guns now and think that it is time to get a nice gun safe.  I don’t know much about them and need some help.  I have about 4 handguns, 3 shotguns and 3 rifles.  I plan on buying some more.  I have about $500 to around $1000 to spend.  Where do you keep the safe?  What brands are best?  What accessories do you suggest?  Do you keep the ammo in the safe?
Thanks for your help.

Liberty would be a great choice..

remember, to buy bigger because you will get more guns
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:39:07 AM EDT
[#2]
everyone on here is going to say liberty, i like champion better, and fort knoxx the best. chrome is right, buy it no less then twice as big as you think you will need, and you need to decide on if you want or need fire rating, if not, that will save you quit a bit of coin as will the paint job. just rember to bolt'er down.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:25:10 AM EDT
[#3]
These things are heavy..…where do you put them in your house?
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:32:54 AM EDT
[#4]
any were, just make sure the joist support them. if upstairs you could always get one of thoose metal support pillars. put it in the corner of the first floor so the foundation takes most of it, or in the basement. isnt exactly rocket science.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:38:30 AM EDT
[#5]
I am very happy with AMSEC (american security)  
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:45:33 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
everyone on here is going to say liberty, i like champion better, and fort knoxx the best. chrome is right, buy it no less then twice as big as you think you will need, and you need to decide on if you want or need fire rating, if not, that will save you quit a bit of coin as will the paint job. just rember to bolt'er down.

I also prefer Champion safes.  Be sure you compare the fire ratings of them vs. the other brands, you might be surprised....  

www.championsafe.com
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:49:46 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I also prefer Champion safes.  Be sure you compare the fire ratings of them vs. the other brands, you might be surprised....  

www.championsafe.com

+1
Its hard to beat champion for the money. Fort knoxx is great but prices are a little on the high side.

Here is a post in the armory board.
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=2&t=192071
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:06:10 AM EDT
[#8]
If you have a Gander Mountain Sports nearby, you should check out their Timber Ridge line.

They are Liberty's bargain label.

I've had mine for a little over a year and have been very happy with it.  They were about $200 less than a similar sized Liberty.  The finish is a very basic gray powder coat and not nearly as nice as the Liberty.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:10:48 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a Browning Medallion, but they cost a little more.  The biggest reason I went with Browning is that most of the safes that have been mentioned only have a 90 degree door swing.  My safe opens a little past 180 degrees, and gives me more placement options, now and in the future.  It weighs 800 lbs., but that's no worse than 4 people standing in a tight "Group Hug" as far as the floor loading.  Active bolts on both sides of the door, and on the top also.  Nice fit & finish, and I paid $1499 at Sportlsman's Warehouse here in Portland, OR.  Another $300 to get it delivered and installed upstairs and it was moved by two guys with a power hand cart with crawler wheels.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:16:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Cannon
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:12:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for all the input.  As I look at some of these safes I think I may end up with more money in one than I thought.  
I have over $1000 into just my one AR...I should probably spend a little more to keep them safe.
Thanks again for the help.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:34:21 AM EDT
[#12]
I just bought a Winchester safe from Sam's club.  Winchester is made by granite safe (granitesafe.com).  they also make the safes for Cabelas.  The one i bought has electronic lock, 1200 deg for 30 mins, UL listed.  $813, shipping included.  I didn't want to pay the high dollar for the liberty though it is a nice safe.  I am just trying to keep the casual thief at bay not necessarily the highly skilled and equipped thief.

dave.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:59:28 AM EDT
[#13]
also befor you buy call up and try to talk to someone, i have always gotten a person right on the phone with champion, not always the case with the others.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 11:02:43 AM EDT
[#14]
When you get one see if it can be bolted down.  Saw on the Philly news the other day an SUV that was chased by the police from Glouster County, NJ to Philly.  Newscaster said the 3 guys stole a safe, then she showed a close up of the SUV....in the back was a green Winchester gun safe!!!(unopened).

Looks like the perps dragged the safe out and took it to Philly to open up at their convenience.

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 12:16:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Our gun shop sold the product line at the URL listed below. The main reason we USED and sold this line was we never found a more secure safe. Yes, it is a key lock, BUT anyone with a $2 hammer can make sure YOU can't get to your guns with an electronic keypad or dial combination any time soon (and at a big expense). We sold several of these to owners that had their combo safes vandalized by intruders.  No, they didn't get the guns, but it was a major PIA to the owner. We also had some skeptics come by to tell us of the futile efforts the BG made and everything was still safe and secure and no damage to the safe other than cosmetic surface damage.  

The locking mechanism on these safes is damn near impossible to screw up.
www.factorydirectsafes.com/Chaparral-Safe.htm

Security Products
801 East Loop 340
Waco, TX 76715
254-412-0735
Fax: 254-412-0766

BTW: Fire rating is highly over rated.  Most house fires don't last long enough to build up enough heat to compromise guns in a safe that is in a closet or otherwise not surrounded by combustibles.  They do make fire rated ones, if you just have to have one.

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 12:26:15 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Cannon

+1

Cannon safes are beautiful.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top