Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/18/2005 8:53:51 AM EDT
i will turn 21 in less than a year.
i have the bushmaster M4 "lookalike" i had the miniycomp. it is no longer on and the correct flash hider is on its way from bushmaster.
i was  just wanting to know how do i get started on trying to get a Silencer for my bushy? what should i do first? (talk to sherrif?) send in application? then i would like to know which suppressor or silencer would be best?

Thanks guys!!
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:14:13 AM EDT
[#1]

busmaster does not manufacture or sell [sound] suppressors, but there are many companies out there that do (AAC, Gemtech, et.).

the process one must go through to get or build one is the same as any class 3 / title 2 transfer: forms, signatures, fingerprints, $200...

i suggest you check the full auto board here as there is a wealth of information, and people who have taken this path, that you can talk to.

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:25:55 AM EDT
[#2]
According to the State by State chart in the Legal Section Mississippi allows everything except silencers, but s_s74 says below that they are allowed. I hope he is right. If so, the State by State chart needs to be updated.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:39:02 AM EDT
[#3]
nonnieselman,

Yes we can own silencers in Mississippi, along with all of the other NFA toys.

As long as the Head officer (Police, Sheriff) will sign off on the form.

If you are serious about wanting the new toy, contact Ralph Weaver at Guns &
Ammo in Moss Point and he can help you out (he is SOT/FFL dealer).

Hope this helps,

Art
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 11:33:37 AM EDT
[#4]
CAR-AR-M16,

Here is the Statute from the Mississippi Code Annodated:

97-37-31. Silencers on firearms; armor piercing ammunition, manufacture, sale,
possession or use unlawful.

"It shall be unlawful for any person, persons, corporations or manufacturing establishment,
NOT DULY AUTHORIZED UNDER FEDERAL LAW (emphasis added)..............."

Meaning form 3 or 4 (I can't remember which) HAS to be filed, Federal tax paid, etc etc
same as buying a machine gun, select fire, well you get the drift.

Again, however, the Head Honcho has to sign the form.

Hope this helps,

Art

Oh and by the by, Ralph has several nice little suppressed Rugers right now.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 11:47:36 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
CAR-AR-M16,

Here is the Statute from the Mississippi Code Annodated:

97-37-31. Silencers on firearms; armor piercing ammunition, manufacture, sale,
possession or use unlawful.

"It shall be unlawful for any person, persons, corporations or manufacturing establishment,
NOT DULY AUTHORIZED UNDER FEDERAL LAW (emphasis added)..............."

Meaning form 3 or 4 (I can't remember which) HAS to be filed, Federal tax paid, etc etc
same as buying a machine gun, select fire, well you get the drift.

Again, however, the Head Honcho has to sign the form.

Hope this helps,

Art

Oh and by the by, Ralph has several nice little suppressed Rugers right now.

I stand corrected. Thanks for setting me straight
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 11:57:43 AM EDT
[#6]
i know bushmaster doesnt sell them.  by the time im 21 there probably wont be anything such as silencers and the such, the way this world is goin! ha but im goin to try and see what happens.
my AR is too loud. i would like to get it so when we shoot coyotes and other pest at the farm it wont disturb the cows and the other pest wont get the memo to RUN.
Thanks guys!!
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 2:26:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Theyll be suppressors around when you are 21.. Wait till then..
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 3:30:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Check out this website:

www.paladin-press.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=11

But these publications are strictly for education purposes only!
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 3:33:51 PM EDT
[#9]
If I am correct, even if you get a silencer you will need special light loads. Most of the bullet sound comes from a miniture sonic boom caused by the speed of the bullet. Thats why .45 ACP is good for guns with silencers because most of the big .45 rounds are slow to begin with. I know they make .22 subsonic rounds and I am guessing it is for that purpose. I could be wrong but I am pretty sure
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:06:21 AM EDT
[#10]
im getting pretty good reloading now. ive had my kit since christmas. i love it. so far i have loaded, .223, .22-250, .270, .30 carbine. in the future i hope to be loading for my Kimber custom II if i ever get around to getting it. i have a crappy Llama .45, it started to hang up alot so now i want to get rid of it and save or trade it for a kimber. one day??

but i do believe i can get the right loads so it will be kindof silent except the bolt noise.

does anyone still wear hearing protection with a suppressed weapon??
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:34:52 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
i will turn 21 in less than a year.
i have the bushmaster M4 "lookalike" i had the miniycomp. it is no longer on and the correct flash hider is on its way from bushmaster.
i was  just wanting to know how do i get started on trying to get a Silencer for my bushy? what should i do first? (talk to sherrif?) send in application? then i would like to know which suppressor or silencer would be best?

Thanks guys!!

THE TRUTH SILENCERS ARE LEGAL IN MISSISSIPPI   READ BELOW !  UPDATED CHART  2001  ON WWW.SUBGUNS.COM
KEY
MG - machine gun
SI - sound suppressor (silencer)
SR - short barreled rifle
SG - short shotgun
AOW - any other weapon
LBDD - large bore destructive device
EXPDD - explosive, incendiary or poison gas destructive device

STATEMG SI  SR   SG   AOWLBDD  EXPDD  Comments

AK  Y   Y   Y    Y    Y  Y    Y
AL  Y   Y   N    N    Y  Y    ?
AR  Y   Y   Y    Y    Y  Y    ?   (state registration of pistol cal. MG's over .30)
AZ  Y   Y   Y    Y    Y  Y    Y
CA  Y   N   Y    Y    Y  Y    Y   (requires discretionary and rarely issued permit for mg, lbdd or expdd from state Dept. of
                                 Justice; no AOW pen guns; C&R sg, sr only)
CO  Y   Y   Y    Y    Y  Y    Y   (requires state explosives permit for expdd)
CT  Y   Y   Y    Y    Y  Y    ?   (no select fire mg's-full auto's only, after 1993 assault weapon ban, state registration of
                                 mg's)
DE  N   N   Y    N    Y  Y    N   (no smooth bore pistol AOW's)
FL  Y   Y   Y    Y    Y  Y    Y
GA  Y   Y   Y    Y    Y  Y    Y   (no incendiary expdd's)
HI  N   N   N    N    N  N    N  
IA  N   Y   Y    Y    Y  Y    Y   (only si, sr, sg, lbdd and expdd designated as collector's items by the Comm'r of Public
                                 Safety - they use the ATF C&R list)
ID  Y   Y   Y    Y    Y  Y    Y
IL  N   N   N    N    Y  ?    N
IN  Y   Y   Y    N    Y  Y    N
KS  N   N   Y    N    Y  Y    N   DEWAT machine guns are OK.
KY  Y   Y   Y    Y    Y  Y    ?
LA  Y   Y   Y    Y    Y  Y    Y   (mg's require a permit to purchase - war relics only; mg's, sr, si, sg and some expdd's
                                 require a permit to purchase)
MA  Y   N   Y    N    N  Y    N   (license for mg's required; 1998 law bans covert firearms (AOW's), short shotguns)
MD  Y   Y   Y    Y    Y  Y    N   (mg's must be registered)
ME  Y   Y   Y    Y    Y  Y    Y
MI  Y   N   Y    Y    Y  Y    Y   (FFL needed to own machine guns; no incendiary expdd; C&R sr, sg only)
MN  Y   N   Y    Y    Y  Y    ?   (C&R mg, sg only, registration required)
MO  Y   N   Y    Y    Y  N    N   (C&R mg, sr, sg only to non-FFL holders; FFL holders (including C&R) any mg, sr, sg)
MS  Y   Y   Y    Y    Y  Y    Y   (as of 7/1/00, silencers are legal, but must be registered with the state)MT  Y   Y   Y    Y    Y  N    N   (state law banning silencers and requiring pistol cal. mg's over .30 be registered with state
                                 repealed 4/23/99)
NE  Y   Y   Y    Y    Y  Y    N
NC  Y   Y   Y    Y    Y  Y    Y   (sheriff's permit required for mg's; must be FFL holder (including C&R) for mg, si, sr, sg
                                 lbdd and expdd, or fall into another exception, see comments below)
ND  Y   Y   Y    Y    Y  Y    Y   (fed. "licensees" required to register all NFA weapons with state when possessed for
                                 "protection or sale")
NH  Y   Y   Y    Y    Y  Y    Y
NJ  Y   N   N    N    Y  N    N   (mg requires discretionary and rarely issued permit from state court)
NM  Y   Y   Y    Y    Y  Y    Y
NV  Y   Y   Y    Y    Y  Y    Y
NY  N   N   N    N    Y  Y    N   (AOW smooth bore handguns are allowed, on a state pistol license)
OH  Y   Y   Y    Y    Y  Y    Y
OK  Y   Y   Y    Y    Y  Y    Y
OR  Y   Y   Y    Y    Y  Y    Y   (no incendiary expdd's)
PA  Y   Y   Y    Y    Y  Y    N
RI  N   N   N    N    Y  Y    ?
SC  Y   Y   Y    Y    Y  Y    ?   In 2001, S.C. law was changed to permit all Federally registered items  
SD  Y   Y   Y    Y    Y  Y    Y
TN  Y   Y   Y    Y    Y  Y    ?
TX  Y   Y   Y    Y    Y  Y    Y
UT  Y   Y   Y    Y    Y  Y    Y
VA  Y   Y   Y    Y    Y  Y    Y   (state registration of all mg's)
VT  Y   N   Y    Y    Y  Y    Y
WA  N   Y   N    N    Y  Y    N   (silencer may not be used on a gun)
WI  Y   Y   Y    Y    Y  Y    Y   (permit required for expdd, no incendiary expdd's; no pistol caliber mg's w/o permit)
WV  Y   Y   Y    Y    Y  Y    ?
WY  Y   Y   Y    Y    Y  Y    ?
 ------------------------------------------------------------

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:56:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Find out who your local C3 / NFA dealer is and go talk to them.  They can provide you with all of the information you'll need, as well as the necessary paperwork.  It's really no big deal.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 9:02:02 AM EDT
[#13]
.17HMR bolt gun, good scope, shoot the yote's in the head. Works in AR (Arkansas that is) and my horses barely perk up their ears from noise of the shot.

A little Savage or Marlin heavy barreled bolt gun and a decent scope will set you back $300, $350 tops, you can buy it now, and no paperwork.

With a little practice you should be able to nail them in the head all day long at 150 yds.

BTW - .17HMR isn't my choice for a humane killing round on a yote for a body shot, but between the peepers or behind the ear they drop like you hit them with a sledge hammer.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:20:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Just come visit us AR15.com M16/NFA Forum

Quoted:
im getting pretty good reloading now. ive had my kit since christmas. i love it. so far i have loaded, .223, .22-250, .270, .30 carbine. in the future i hope to be loading for my Kimber custom II if i ever get around to getting it. i have a crappy Llama .45, it started to hang up alot so now i want to get rid of it and save or trade it for a kimber. one day??

but i do believe i can get the right loads so it will be kindof silent except the bolt noise.

does anyone still wear hearing protection with a suppressed weapon??

Most of "Us" don't wear hearing protection with the suppressors but some do.  You'll end up with a single shot, manually cycled AR if you load SubSonic but it's "kinda cool" I guess.  Regular loads are a little quieter then a unsuppressed .22 but the sound is down range, and not at the firearm.

Once you get one, you'll have to have more..... Trust me.  

I bought 1 at the begining of the year and now I have 3 pending (you'll learn what that means soon I'm sure).

Welcome to the Dark Side my friend
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 1:37:37 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
If I am correct, even if you get a silencer you will need special light loads. Most of the bullet sound comes from a miniture sonic boom caused by the speed of the bullet. Thats why .45 ACP is good for guns with silencers because most of the big .45 rounds are slow to begin with. I know they make .22 subsonic rounds and I am guessing it is for that purpose. I could be wrong but I am pretty sure

You are incorrect.  You can use regular .223 loads and the action cycling is louder than the muzzle report to the shooter.  It will sound like a .22 rimfire to others due to the crack but you wont need hearing protection with standard ammo.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top