BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/13/2005 8:22:40 AM EDT
Link

Introducing Olympic Arms pistol caliber rifles available with Glock© style lower receivers. The lowers accept full size or larger Glock© magazines, including the high-capacity 30 round mags. Configure your upper receiver with two caliber options and two barrel types. The receivers are made by Olympic Arms in the Glock© style.

Using a straight blow-back system, the bolt will lock back after the last round is fired. With our conical shaped bolt and chambering this rifle has been proved reliable. Choose a caliber option of either 9mm or 40 S&W. Then choose the barrel type of either 11.5” with a permanently attached 5.5” flash suppressor or a straight 16” barrel. The lower receiver utilizes a standard magazine release button to release the Glock© magazine. Please specify caliber and barrel version when ordering.

Anyone have any experience with these?
Does any other company do this?

Pros?
Cons?
Link Posted: 6/13/2005 8:26:48 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Does any other (Legitimate) company do this?

Heck No!
Link Posted: 6/13/2005 8:42:56 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Does any other (Legitimate) company do this?

What do you mean by legitimate? Are you talking about the quality issues with Oly?
Link Posted: 6/13/2005 9:12:33 AM EDT
[#3]
If somebody even mentions Olympic Arms Markm comes out of his troll lair and slanders the company. In thread after thread he has done nothing but loose all credibility on the issue.
Pay him no mind, as it appears he has none to pay attention to.
I don't own a Glock, so I don't see a need to get a Glock-ified AR15, but if I had such a need or desire, I wouldn't hesitate to get the Olympic Arms rifle. They're good shooting rifles, and the company has always stood behind them for me.
I've owned two or three over the years, and have built kits on about a dozen more of of their receivers. They are fine.
I'm looking at their .17hmr/.22lr insert right now. I think that might be fun...
Link Posted: 6/13/2005 9:15:17 AM EDT
[#4]
A lower that takes 33 round 9mm glock mags seems like a pretty good idea if you want a 9mm AR.  I don't think Glock is going anywhere for awhile, and the mags are available in many places.
Link Posted: 6/13/2005 9:56:15 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
A lower that takes 33 round 9mm glock mags seems like a pretty good idea if you want a 9mm AR.  I don't think Glock is going anywhere for awhile, and the mags are available in many places.

Yeah, plus I love the idea of having a carbine that accepts the same mags as a pistol that I already own. Seriously cuts down on that expense. Kind of has the same appeals the having a Beretta and looking at the Cx4 Storm to compliment each other.

I'm liking the idea of this thing... I'm just wondering if anyone on this entire site has fired one, let alone seen or handled one.
Link Posted: 6/13/2005 10:13:39 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I agree. If the gun is as reliable as the magazines, then its a winner. Haven't seen or handled one.
Link Posted: 6/13/2005 10:27:11 AM EDT
[#7]
I've handled them, they seem decent, but I have not fired one or run drills with one yet.
Link Posted: 6/13/2005 10:29:47 AM EDT
[#8]
How reliable are the extended mags?  I have two Sherer (spelling??) mags that seem to feed well with my Glock 23.  Wonder how they would do with that rifle?  A .40 S&W combo has a small amount of appeal to me.
Link Posted: 6/13/2005 10:34:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Did you say .40 cal?
Link Posted: 6/13/2005 10:37:05 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Did you say .40 cal?

What?  A guy can't have a .40 without being critisized?  Besides, it was the issue caliber for the volunteer work I used to do.
Link Posted: 6/13/2005 10:48:23 AM EDT
[#11]
I could dig a 10mm AR carbine.
Link Posted: 6/13/2005 10:50:12 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

What?  A guy can't have a .40 without being critisized?  

Nope.....
Link Posted: 6/13/2005 10:57:37 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What?  A guy can't have a .40 without being critisized?  

Nope.....

If you're referring to a .40 Glock I second the

But I think a .40 rifle would be cool. Besides, I don't like 9mm

WIZZO
Link Posted: 6/13/2005 11:04:29 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I could dig a 10mm AR carbine.

+1

10mm over .40sw
Link Posted: 6/13/2005 11:08:14 AM EDT
[#15]
I woudl think if there is enough of a positiive response/demand for one pistol caliber AR that takes Glock mags more would follow.... so everyone here buy the 9mm one and e-mail Oly that you also want a .40/10mm...
Link Posted: 6/13/2005 11:08:43 AM EDT
[#16]
I believe Kel-Tec actually makes a carbine that takes Glock mags.  I don't know the specifics or anything.  Search around for it.  It's cheap, like most Kel-Tec products.  MJD
Link Posted: 6/13/2005 11:14:41 AM EDT
[#17]
I'd like to see these for a G21.  I can't but help wondering if this is what is motivating Cav-Arms with their new project.
Link Posted: 6/13/2005 11:20:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Many indoor ranges won't allow "rifle" calibers, it would be nice to be able to shoot the AR indoors with 9mm.  

Re reliability of 30+ mags,  the Glock brand is now available and they are very reliable.

Rick

Link Posted: 6/13/2005 11:54:57 AM EDT
[#19]
I've got one of the Oly/Glock 9mm AR's and I love it!!!!  Had some problems with some of the factory Glock 33 round mags locking into the receiver properly, but nothing and dremel and a finger nail file couldn't handle.  I haven't had any problems with other Glock mags (17's and 19's) fitting into the receiver properly.  So far (500 rounds) this rifle has functioned flawlessly, I have no complaints at all.  I purchased mine from Atlantic Firearms (atlanticfirearms.com) which is a sponser here are ARF.com, because they had the  best prices (I think I paid $789.00 or something like that).  I purchased this to go along with my Glock 17 so that I would only have to lug one style of magazine to the range for rifle and handgun both, plus shooting the 9mm AR's are the most fun I've had with my pants on.  I would highly recommend purchasing this style of rifle if you are in the market for a good, reliable 9mm AR that accepts in-expensive and plentiful magazines.  BTW, the serial # on mine is way under #100
Link Posted: 6/13/2005 12:04:00 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I've got one of the Oly/Glock 9mm AR's and I love it!!!!  Had some problems with some of the factory Glock 33 round mags locking into the receiver properly, but nothing and dremel and a finger nail file couldn't handle.  I haven't had any problems with other Glock mags (17's and 19's) fitting into the receiver properly.  So far (500 rounds) this rifle has functioned flawlessly, I have no complaints at all.  I purchased mine from Atlantic Firearms (atlanticfirearms.com) which is a sponser here are ARF.com, because they had the  best prices (I think I paid $789.00 or something like that).  I purchased this to go along with my Glock 17 so that I would only have to lug one style of magazine to the range for rifle and handgun both, plus shooting the 9mm AR's are the most fun I've had with my pants on.  I would highly recommend purchasing this style of rifle if you are in the market for a good, reliable 9mm AR that accepts in-expensive and plentiful magazines.  BTW, the serial # on mine is way under #100

Best post in here so far... thanks glock 223.
Link Posted: 6/13/2005 12:38:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Here are a couple pics (not a very good ones, but a pic atleast).

Link Posted: 6/13/2005 12:40:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Can you get it with a flat-top? I don't see that option listed.
Link Posted: 6/13/2005 12:43:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Wonder if Oly. will offer the lower separate? I would like to have one and mate it to a RRA upper....

This has really sparked my interest for a 9mm AR again.
Link Posted: 6/13/2005 12:46:43 PM EDT
[#24]
You can get it with a flat-top, but from what I've heard, there is an extremely long wait (months).  I bought this configuration because it was the only one that was in stock and I didn't want to wait!!  But I would have rather had a flat-top, but that problem will be taken care of shortly, will "modify" a flat top for it.
Link Posted: 6/13/2005 1:13:40 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Wonder if Oly. will offer the lower separate? I would like to have one and mate it to a RRA upper....

I want one for a pistol build.
Link Posted: 6/13/2005 1:37:21 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm trying to get into volunteer LEO work, and my issue weapon (that I have to buy at a discount) will be a Glock 22 in .40.  This would compliment it nicely I think.  Mainly because I'll be allowed to use the LE range, and they provide ammo.
Link Posted: 6/13/2005 1:37:25 PM EDT
[#27]
If you do not know the mechanical difference between a Glock mag and an Uzi mag then this is the rifle for you.

I can tell you I do not enjoy loading single feed mags...as apposed to staggered. I loaded a few MAC and Glock mags yesterday and it sucked. I would rather have a rifle that used a normal lower and did not have Olympic Arms hack-fu applied.

And don't forget about the price of Glock mags and the fact that they are plastic.

Link Posted: 6/13/2005 1:48:40 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
If you do not know the mechanical difference between a Glock mag and an Uzi mag then this is the rifle for you.

I can tell you I do not enjoy loading single feed mags...as apposed to staggered. I loaded a few MAC and Glock mags yesterday and it sucked. I would rather have a rifle that used a normal lower and did not have Olympic Arms hack-fu applied.

And don't forget about the price of Glock mags and the fact that they are plastic.

Don't Glock mags have a steel liner?

WIZZO
Link Posted: 6/13/2005 1:56:41 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Yeah, having a lower that uses $17 mags (G19-15\17 rounds & G17-17\19 rounds) or $25 mags (G18-31\33 rounds) that can be found everywhere, that have impeccable reliability (plastic and all), that fit into hand guns I already have (and BTW happen to already own 20 of) would be a really bad thing

Unfortunately, Olympic isn't selling the lowers by themselves and I don't want to drop $800 on a 9mm AR so this ain't going to work for me. Oh well, maybe some day Glock will release a 9mm carbine that will scratch my 9mm carbine itch?
Link Posted: 6/13/2005 2:02:54 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't Glock mags have a steel liner?

WIZZO

Yes but the mag catch is plastic. Uzi mags cost lest, will last longer, and are much easier to load. Not to mention spare parts for the Oly rifle will be proprietary and uncommon.

Link Posted: 6/13/2005 2:05:33 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Yeah, having a lower that uses $17 mags (G19-15\17 rounds & G17-17\19 rounds) or $25 mags (G18-31\33 rounds) that can be found everywhere, that have impeccable reliability (plastic and all), that fit into hand guns I already have (and BTW happen to already own 20 of) would be a really bad thing

If you want pistol mags in an AR then be my guest. I, on the other hand, prefer SMG mags in my SMG.

Link Posted: 6/13/2005 2:06:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Ive seen a Oly-Glock 9mm upper on a class 3 M4 worked just fine.  Cant say the same for the MP5 this guy had it jammed often.
Link Posted: 6/13/2005 2:32:33 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Ive seen a Oly-Glock 9mm upper on a class 3 M4 worked just fine.  Cant say the same for the MP5 this guy had it jammed often.

Was it a post sample? You can't just put the glock upper on any M16, the lower has to me modified.

Link Posted: 6/13/2005 3:05:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Is that a cast or forged lower?
Link Posted: 6/13/2005 3:15:29 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Was it a post sample? You can't just put the glock upper on any M16, the lower has to me modified.

www.olyarms.com/images/k9gl/k9gl-showing-mag-well.jpg

The original Oly\Glocks used a mag block with modified glock mags or maybe the guy had an RDAIS?

Quoted:
If you want pistol mags in an AR then be my guest. I, on the other hand, prefer SMG mags in my SMG.

No I'd rather use mags I already have and can use in other guns rather then going out and buying a bunch of specific mags that I will only use in one gun.

What's with all the hate for the Glock mags? A. after a quick net search it doesn't appear to me that Uzi mags are much, if any cheaper. and B. Glock mags are one of the most reliable mags out there. I've never seen or heard of anybody wearing one out or breaking one without abusing it or using the crap out of it. Matter of fact, the hole reason I was interested in one of these is Glock mags are one of the most reliable 9mm magazine out there and they're relatively cheap and extremely easy to find.

If you want to use Uzi mags, more power to you I just don't see what your gripe is with Glock mags?
Link Posted: 6/13/2005 3:22:31 PM EDT
[#36]
looks forged to me...
Link Posted: 6/13/2005 3:36:56 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I want one for a pistol build.

That would be pretty sweet to. If anyone finds out if Oly. will be selling the lowers alone let us know. I want one now. I suppose a g19 mag will work? Or does it have to be the 17's?
Link Posted: 6/13/2005 5:08:43 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
That would be pretty sweet to. If anyone finds out if Oly. will be selling the lowers alone let us know. I want one now. I suppose a g19 mag will work? Or does it have to be the 17's?

I was told by an Oly rep when I asked that it will accept G17, G18 or G19 mags but they have no plans at this time to sell the lower seperately. I Still have to think that will change at some point? Can't be that many people buying complete Oly 9mm carbines to make it worth it for them?
Link Posted: 6/13/2005 6:17:14 PM EDT
[#39]
[That would be pretty sweet to. If anyone finds out if Oly. will be selling the lowers alone let us know. I want one now. I suppose a g19 mag will work? Or does it have to be the 17's?

The 19 mags work fine, I've got 3 of them and haven't had a prob yet.
Link Posted: 6/13/2005 7:03:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Glock...how much did you spend on the entire gun? I really want one of these now. I had planned on picking up the lower and just going from their but if I have to I guess I will buy a complete gun.
Link Posted: 6/13/2005 7:28:32 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
www.img4free.com/images/glock223/p6130074.jpg

Thanks for the pics.

I understand the "Oly hack-fu" comment. That mag release looks kinda junked together.

Long wait on a flattop is kinda lame.

Got any pictures of the bolt. Curious what that looks like. Is it a standard 9mm AR bolt/carrier or modified to feed from a Glock mag?

Looks like I've found a potential reason to trade in a gun... me likes.
Link Posted: 6/13/2005 8:01:40 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

If you want to use Uzi mags, more power to you I just don't see what your gripe is with Glock mags?

Load a dozen 30rd Glock mags and then load a dozen 30rd Uzi mags and you will know immediately.

Link Posted: 6/13/2005 8:11:12 PM EDT
[#43]
ummm......

loader tool?
Link Posted: 6/13/2005 8:11:43 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Both post samples MP5 and M4 lower this guy had about 4 uppers he was changing in and out on an M4 lower full auto.  Class III dealer named Ronnie  I will find the link if I can.
Link Posted: 6/13/2005 8:11:55 PM EDT
[#45]
if i could find one for $700, i'd bite.  flattop option would be nice, but i think an a2 is perfectly suited for pistol rounds.

10mm?  i love the idea, but they can't even sell 10mm pistols these days.

is glock making .40 super high caps (28 rds)?  or is this a sherer only proposition?
Link Posted: 6/13/2005 8:12:00 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Load a dozen 30rd Glock mags and then load a dozen 30rd Uzi mags and you will know immediately.

Glock mags are pretty tight loading. I'm a pussy... I use the little loader doohicky and it still gives me a hard time getting those last couple into a 17 rounder. Am I willing to tolerate it to be able to crossload mags from a carbine to a pistol... holy hell yeah.

Plus...

Quoted:

Since when is a semi-auto carbine an SMG. Did I miss something on the Oly description? That is what we're talking about, right?
Link Posted: 6/13/2005 8:16:37 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Here are a couple pics (not a very good ones, but a pic atleast).

www.img4free.com/images/glock223/p6130079.jpg

www.img4free.com/images/glock223/p6130074.jpg

Can you post a pic with a mag in, IIRC they are at an angle and I wasn't sure how I felt about how it looked.
Link Posted: 6/13/2005 8:27:39 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Both post samples MP5 and M4 lower this guy had about 4 uppers he was changing in and out on an M4 lower full auto.  Class III dealer named Ronnie  I will find the link if I can.

Guy by the name of Ronnie Amend local class 3 dealer one of very few in my area he is listed on gun broker and Atlantic as an FFL.  Their is an email if you are registered I am not.  If you by from him tell him the guy at the range who in december he tried to sell a collectible Arsnal 74 to sent you.Link to contacts
Link Posted: 6/13/2005 10:28:38 PM EDT
[#49]
I dont see the big deal.. Looks ok to me.. You would be limited to one caliber, but what the hell..

If some companies didnt experiment with new designs... bla..bla...bla.. We might be SBRing muskets..
Link Posted: 6/14/2005 12:27:00 AM EDT
[#50]
Call me crazy but what's to stop running a .40 cal barrel in one of these?  The mag dimension is the same so the lower shouldn't be an issue.  And as for the .40 haters, I bought a 9mm but the G19/23 grip is junk for me while the G22/17 is spot on.  My 9mm is a SIG P228 and I'm not looking back.  

Anybody good with a TIG?  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top