BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/14/2005 4:04:33 AM EDT
[#1]

is glock making .40 super high caps (28 rds)?  or is this a sherer only proposition?

No they aren't. The only reason they make the large magazine in 9mm is to feed the Glock 18. If they ever make a full auto .40, then maybe. But I dont' see that happening.

And HK makes an MP5 variant in 10mm. The FBI has some.
Link Posted: 6/14/2005 6:01:04 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Since when is a semi-auto carbine an SMG. Did I miss something on the Oly description? That is what we're talking about, right?

Like I said, SMG.

Link Posted: 6/14/2005 7:29:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Sans-Masculinity Gun... Ok... now I get it.
Link Posted: 6/14/2005 7:36:56 AM EDT
[#4]
If I wanted to have the oly SBR'ed someday I could send the upper off and have the barrel cutdown right? Since its blowback there wouldn't be a problem with cutting the barrel down?
Link Posted: 6/14/2005 9:03:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Between this rifle (except in flattop) and the suppressor set-up I'm drooling over on Suppressors, cans, silencers, etc. I'm seriously thinking about selling some of my other, less used guns to fund this.
Link Posted: 6/14/2005 11:01:28 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Since when is a semi-auto carbine an SMG. Did I miss something on the Oly description? That is what we're talking about, right?

Like I said, SMG.

www.858engineering.com/images/Shootpics/July%2017%20Shoot%20008.jpg

John really wanted to compete in the machine gun shoot but with his Colt 9mm SMG in the shop (again ) he had to resort to borrowing his wifes gun.

sorry man! that pic looks like a title this caption kind of picture.
hopefully noone brings a pink pistols group comment!
Link Posted: 6/14/2005 1:00:28 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
John really wanted to compete in the machine gun shoot but with his Colt 9mm SMG in the shop (again ) he had to resort to borrowing his wifes gun.

Did he borrow her high heals too?
Link Posted: 6/14/2005 4:53:00 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Like I said, SMG.

It's ok, I can take it. I have enough other toys not to worry about what other people think.

Just remember, and I'll leave it at this, Glock mags may seam cool but when you have to buy and load a ton of them they are not all that.

Link Posted: 6/14/2005 5:39:29 PM EDT
[#9]
This thread seems to be losing focus.

Anyone know:
- Is the lower compatible with any [9mm configured] upper or is their bolt tooled specifically for Glock mags?

I e-mailed Oly this afternoon asking this as well as whether or not there are any plans to sell just the lowers...
Link Posted: 6/14/2005 5:56:31 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Anyone know:
- Is the lower compatible with any [9mm configured] upper or is their bolt tooled specifically for Glock mags?

I e-mailed Oly this afternoon asking this as well as whether or not there are any plans to sell just the lowers...

The bolt is narrower to fit between the Glock mag feed lips. The Oly gun will not work with other mags. I doubt the lower will work with other uppers since Glock mags have a greater feed angle but I do not know for sure.

Link Posted: 6/14/2005 6:02:22 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Call me crazy but what's to stop running a .40 cal barrel in one of these?  The mag dimension is the same so the lower shouldn't be an issue.  And as for the .40 haters, I bought a 9mm but the G19/23 grip is junk for me while the G22/17 is spot on.  My 9mm is a SIG P228 and I'm not looking back.  

Anybody good with a TIG?  

They sell a complete .40, no reason to weld anything.  Takes G23 mags and G22 mags.  
Link Posted: 6/15/2005 3:17:10 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Anyone know:

The bolt is narrower to fit between the Glock mag feed lips. The Oly gun will not work with other mags. I doubt the lower will work with other uppers since Glock mags have a greater feed angle but I do not know for sure.

Other than the bolt, anything else special about the upper in order to use one of these glock mag lowers?
Link Posted: 6/15/2005 5:17:24 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Other than the bolt, anything else special about the upper in order to use one of these glock mag lowers?

Are the feed ramps machined to better feed from the mags or wouldn't that really make any difference?

I'm not too versed on 9mm AR parts... do they have a bolt and bolt carrier or is it all one piece for 9mm?
Link Posted: 6/15/2005 6:25:30 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are the feed ramps machined to better feed from the mags or wouldn't that really make any difference?

I'm not too versed on 9mm AR parts... do they have a bolt and bolt carrier or is it all one piece for 9mm?

The bolt and carrier are one piece. In a normal 9mm AR the feed ramps are part of the mag block. In the case of the new Oly 9mm, the feed ramps are part of the lower.

Link Posted: 6/15/2005 7:10:00 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
In a normal 9mm AR the feed ramps are part of the mag block. In the case of the new Oly 9mm, the feed ramps are part of the lower.

So if you put a different upper on the Oly would it essneitally just have a redundant feed system, or would one interfere with the other?
Link Posted: 6/15/2005 7:45:43 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Like I said, SMG.

It's ok, I can take it. I have enough other toys not to worry about what other people think.

www.858engineering.com/images/Shootpics/July%2017%20Shoot%20001.jpg

Just remember, and I'll leave it at this, Glock mags may seam cool but when you have to buy and load a ton of them they are not all that.

you are the man!

one the oly lower offers though is compatability. for those who already have glocks and have accumulated callouses from "glock" thumb then this is a great thing for them.

you gotta admit it is cool when a manufacturer caters to a certain crowd!

Link Posted: 6/15/2005 8:05:38 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
one the oly lower offers though is compatability. for those who already have glocks and have accumulated callouses from "glock" thumb then this is a great thing for them.
you gotta admit it is cool when a manufacturer caters to a certain crowd!

Unfortunately they're the only ones and they don't seem very flexible about breaking up the rifle and just selling the lowers alone.

Plus it doesn't look you can get them with a shorter barrel sand that CAR flash-hider.
Link Posted: 6/15/2005 1:24:54 PM EDT
[#18]
I wonder if a complete Colt 6450 upper would work with that, or for that matter a Colt RO635 upper.

I might get one if that were possible, and ditch the Oly upper. I would also change out the OLY soft metal FCG components with small pin Colt hardened FCG components if compatible. Then Stock up on Glock 32 rounders from CDNN. That would be pretty neat.
Link Posted: 6/15/2005 6:12:01 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
In a normal 9mm AR the feed ramps are part of the mag block. In the case of the new Oly 9mm, the feed ramps are part of the lower.

So if you put a different upper on the Oly would it essneitally just have a redundant feed system, or would one interfere with the other?

The feed ramps are not part of the upper in a 9mm AR.

Link Posted: 6/15/2005 6:21:19 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I wonder if a complete Colt 6450 upper would work with that, or for that matter a Colt RO635 upper.

I might get one if that were possible, and ditch the Oly upper. I would also change out the OLY soft metal FCG components with small pin Colt hardened FCG components if compatible. Then Stock up on Glock 32 rounders from CDNN. That would be pretty neat.

This Oly is getting more expensive by the minute. Having to buy a full-up just to ditch the upper (wonder what you could get for it on the EE). Swap out trigger group. For me get possibly get an LRM M-169. That leads to two different NFA tax fees,,, this thing could become expensive indeed.
Link Posted: 6/15/2005 6:33:55 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This Oly is getting more expensive by the minute. Having to buy a full-up just to ditch the upper (wonder what you could get for it on the EE). Swap out trigger group. For me get possibly get an LRM M-169. That leads to two different NFA tax fees,,, this thing could become expensive indeed.

That's why the only way I'd consider it is if I could get the lower (stripped) by itself. Actually, after the pictures Glock223 posted, I'm not even sure if I want the lower. That piece of metal riveted on the left side of the lower looks pretty cheesy. Is that really the best they could come up with?
Link Posted: 6/15/2005 6:48:48 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's why the only way I'd consider it is if I could get the lower (stripped) by itself. Actually, after the pictures Glock223 posted, I'm not even sure if I want the lower. That piece of metal riveted on the left side of the lower looks pretty cheesy. Is that really the best they could come up with?

Yeah, probably better off getting a 6450 if you couldn't buy just the lower.
Link Posted: 6/15/2005 7:20:58 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What?  A guy can't have a .40 without being critisized?  

Nope.....

Whats wrong with .40 cal?
Link Posted: 6/15/2005 7:31:06 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What?  A guy can't have a .40 without being critisized?  

Nope.....

Whats wrong with .40 cal?

it falls a little short compared to a 10mm.

its the same arguement as 9mm vs .380

Link Posted: 6/16/2005 3:54:22 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Yeah, it does look a little cheesy. Then again, I have an extended bolt release on my AR and it definitely adds a flavor of cheesiness that most people would equate to head cheese...

I e-mailed Oly 3 simple questions (or so I thought). It brings back memories of when I was just starting to look for my first AR purchase and I didn't know anything about most of the manufacturers or their reputations.

Their customer relation skills, in regard to responding a question with a clear and concise answer is definitely not one of their strong points.

My e-mails in blue
Oly responses in red

To: [email protected]
Subject: Question from Contact FAQ Page
Oly Arms

I have a question about the Glock 9mm systems that you offer.

1. Is there any plans for selling the Oly/Glock lower alone?
2. Are there any compatability issues with putting a different make upper on the Oly/Glock lowers?
3. How long is the wait for a flattop A3/A4 upper (assuming that the lowers will NEVER be sold alone)?

Thanks so much for your time,

Subject: Re: Question from Contact FAQ Page
These come in complete rifles only.The ETA is usually about six weeks.Thanks Jared

Jared Balmer
Domestic Sales Rep.
Olympic Arms Inc.

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: Question from Contact FAQ Page

Are there any future plans to sell the lowers by themselves?
Are there any compatibility issues with putting a different make upper on the Oly/Glock lowers?
Is that ETA on an A2 upper or a flattop upper?

IF you cant get the lower half then its a dead horse.Jared

Jared Balmer
Domestic Sales Rep.
Olympic Arms Inc.

Yep... crystal clear... Anybody else have no clue what that last response is supposed to mean?
Link Posted: 6/16/2005 4:10:21 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Yep... crystal clear... Anybody else have no clue what that last response is supposed to mean?

They may be getting sick of the question? I sent them an e-mail earlier in the week with basically the same questions but none of their responses ever got nasty or cold.

Did your response actually come from Jared? The responses I got came from another rep (Skip) but for some reason the "Signature" was the same as what you posted.
Link Posted: 6/16/2005 7:40:20 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They may be getting sick of the question? I sent them an e-mail earlier in the week with basically the same questions but none of their responses ever got nasty or cold.

Did your response actually come from Jared? The responses I got came from another rep (Skip) but for some reason the "Signature" was the same as what you posted.

I interpret that last response as meaning  "no way in hell are we going to lose out on about $800 by just selling a stripped lower."  Guess I won't be getting one. Too bad, neat idea.

_DR
Link Posted: 6/16/2005 7:44:56 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Just got another one... says it's from Jerod in the sig-line... says it's from Skip in the "From" header. I figure they were two personalities of the same guy...

What I meant is this,We only offer them in a complete rifle.They should be avaible some day.The pistol cal upper are 6 weeks out or sooner.I'm not sure about using anther manufactures upper.I t should work as far as I know.Thanks Jared

Jared Balmer
Domestic Sales Rep.
Olympic Arms Inc.

Analysis:
- They will "some day" be selling the 9mm lower alone.
- It takes them a long time to slap those "cheesy looking" plates on the side of the receivers.
- They don't cross-assemble their parts with other manufacturers parts.
- "I t should work as far as I know" is not likely to be legally binding in the event of catastrophic failure resulting in injury or death as a result of putting their pistol-caliber lower on a different manufactuer's upper.

I'm fast losing interest in what originally had me very excited. So the question is, which lower-receiver manufacturer will step up and build the better mousetrap and have not only their own 9mm Glock-magazine AR lower, but have one without a junked up looking mag release?

Anyone? Anyone? Anyone? Anyone? Anyone?... probably will remain an unanswered echo for a long long time...
Link Posted: 6/16/2005 7:57:54 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just got another one... says it's from Jerod in the sig-line... says it's from Skip in the "From" header. I figure they were two personalities of the same guy...

What I meant is this,We only offer them in a complete rifle.They should be avaible some day.The pistol cal upper are 6 weeks out or sooner.I'm not sure about using anther manufactures upper.I t should work as far as I know.Thanks Jared

Jared Balmer
Domestic Sales Rep.
Olympic Arms Inc.

Analysis:
- They will "some day" be selling the 9mm lower alone.
- It takes them a long time to slap those "cheesy looking" plates on the side of the receivers.
- They don't cross-assemble their parts with other manufacturers parts.
- "I t should work as far as I know" is not likely to be legally binding in the event of catastrophic failure resulting in injury or death as a result of putting their pistol-caliber lower on a different manufactuer's upper.

I'm fast losing interest in what originally had me very excited. So the question is, which lower-receiver manufacturer will step up and build the better mousetrap and have not only their own 9mm Glock-magazine AR lower, but have one without a junked up looking mag release?

Anyone? Anyone? Anyone? Anyone? Anyone?... probably will remain an unanswered echo for a long long time...

Bueller? Anyone? Bueller?

Link Posted: 6/16/2005 8:01:05 AM EDT
[#30]
Probably stirring up a shit pot with this question but how come there is no Oly reps on this site that are willing to jump in on conversations like this? Is it because they are all as gun-smart as Skip-Jerod apparently is judging by his e-mail responses... or was there some major fall out between AR15.com and Oly as a whole? I want to say I caught wind of something to the effect of they were on here and were banned (unfairly according to them) and that was that.
Link Posted: 6/16/2005 8:13:34 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I'm fast losing interest in what originally had me very excited.

Me to, or I should say, I have completely lost interest.

If stripped lowers ever become available (for a decent price) and somebody can verify that these lowers will work with any 9mm upper, then maybe I will regain interest but until then, I'm going to chuck this one in the same bin as the 6.8MM round. Great ideas with great promise that never full matured\materialized.
Link Posted: 6/16/2005 8:44:33 AM EDT
[#32]
The dealer price for the complete rifle is around 719$. That isn't a horrible price. I will probably still get one eventually. After I get my glock 19 anyways.
Link Posted: 6/16/2005 8:54:42 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
The dealer price for the complete rifle is around 719$. That isn't a horrible price. I will probably still get one eventually. After I get my glock 19 anyways.

Not a terrible price but not what I want in the upper... which means I'd end up buying the complete rifle, tossing their upper aside (which I doubt would sell on the EE), spending another chunk of money to put a different upper on it, and crossing my fingers as I pull the trigger for the first time hoping it won't blow up in my face. With assurance like "I'm not sure about using anther manufactures upper.I t should work as far as I know" I'd probably tie a piece of 200ft string to the trigger and pull from a safe distance...

Between the wait time, the limited barrel length options, etc... I'm waiting. This idea DOES sound cool and I hope someone else tries doing it and offering it in a better way. One can dream.
Link Posted: 6/16/2005 8:59:38 AM EDT
[#34]
WOW, I have to have one of those.
Link Posted: 6/16/2005 9:10:03 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not a terrible price but not what I want in the upper... which means I'd end up buying the complete rifle, tossing their upper aside (which I doubt would sell on the EE), spending another chunk of money to put a different upper on it, and crossing my fingers as I pull the trigger for the first time hoping it won't blow up in my face. With assurance like "I'm not sure about using anther manufactures upper.I t should work as far as I know" I'd probably tie a piece of 200ft string to the trigger and pull from a safe distance...

Between the wait time, the limited barrel length options, etc... I'm waiting. This idea DOES sound cool and I hope someone else tries doing it and offering it in a better way. One can dream.

I have a friend who switched uppers on his Oly from an A2 to a non-Oly A3 upper on a SMG and hasn't had any problems.  All you have to do is drill the upper for the ejector spring thingy.
Link Posted: 6/16/2005 10:17:04 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I have a friend who switched uppers on his Oly from an A2 to a non-Oly A3 upper on a SMG and hasn't had any problems.  All you have to do is drill the upper for the ejector spring thingy.

But is that the same as switching uppers with the Oly/Glock and putting a non-Oly onto the Oly/Glock lower? I'm just wondering if anything internal on the lower would keep you from being able to do this... partly I'm wondering if the upper that comes with the Oly/Glock is the same as any other 9mm AR upper or if they have done some special machining for it to function specifically with this lower.
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 11:03:20 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 9:10:40 AM EDT
[#38]
Just found this article for those that are interested:

Linky

and I'm verifying it now (via e-mail) but according to Lee at LRM Firearms

Mark at www.triplebreakproducts.com sales the complete Oly M169 set up

The LRM-M169 is a fully/integrally suppressed system... similar to the one sold by title2.com.

I'll edit into this post when I get verification from triplebreak that this is in fact true.
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 9:16:26 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
The LRM-M169 is a fully/integrally suppressed system... similar to the one sold by title2.com.

Now that is cool.  I wonder how the bleed off works with 147gr ammo?  I can't imagine getting decent penetration with sub sonic 115gr (it would be like shooting a .380).
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 9:30:42 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Now that is cool.  I wonder how the bleed off works with 147gr ammo?  

I'm curious about that as well. I'll ask e-mail Lee and ask him. The case of Wolf 9mm I have is 115gr... so I'm happy.

I can't imagine getting decent penetration with sub sonic 115gr (it would be like shooting a .380).

That's what 33 round magazines are for... eventually somethings going to get through and hit a vital piece of guts.

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 11:14:00 AM EDT
[#41]
Anybody know if these will run with a LL?  Anybody have or can anyone take a couple pics that show the inside of the lower receiver and the bottom of the bolt-carier?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top