Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/29/2004 5:03:29 PM EDT
There's been alot of posted uppers, complete rifles, and assorted other stuff lately.  Often it's just someone posting a pic of their gear, followed by a ton of "that's awesome" posts.  It seems like we rarely see what the purpose of said rifle/upper is, or what the owner intends to do with it. Inevitably someone will ask for the reicpe list, and the owner will post it, but there's rarely a "this part for this reason, that part for the other reason", etc.  It's just a list of some of the latest cool parts.

Hawkeye has a Dissipator that I've seen in person and he's posted a few times.  I remember when he first finished it and posted it.  He had an overall intended purpose for the rifle, and each and every part on it had a purpose towards that end.  I was very impressed (as someone with an architectural design degree) with the level of thought that went into his rifle, and the cohesiveness that existed between the various parts.

What ever happened to form follows function?
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 5:11:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I only shoot "cans" with my AR.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 5:23:24 PM EDT
[#2]
use my stock bushmaster less trigger (rra match) for  IPSC 3 gun. 20" A2 setup is perfect for what i need it  for.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 5:34:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I think a lot of guys just like the way their guns look.  I know if I had a cool looking gun I would post a picture of it.  I do agree that form follows function, but if you want to spend a bit more to make it look good, that is up to you.  It probably would make sense to list reasons for parts, but if I have a question about it, then I'll just ask in the post.

Unless goatboy says no gratuitous pics of blingy AR's, I don't see problem with it.  Like I said, just ask them why in their post.  Most probably are because they think it looks cool.  Which is fine.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 5:40:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I think mine looks cool but it also serves a purpose. I have a rail on it to attach cool little thingies, I got a light on it to read my bible at night, I got all green furniture so the all black gun wont clash with my BDU's...   j/k
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 1:05:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Hey Norman74 , I know what you mean but I think I can also explain it. When you go to a car show or bike show or boat show, a lot of people will list everything they've done to it. For intsance 69' Camaro , 396 CI w/Edelbrock intake, Holley carb, Headman headers on and on . I think it may be the same here. Hope this helps. Coondog  
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 2:25:52 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Hey Norman74 , I know what you mean but I think I can also explain it. When you go to a car show or bike show or boat show, a lot of people will list everything they've done to it. For intsance 69' Camaro , 396 CI w/Edelbrock intake, Holley carb, Headman headers on and on . I think it may be the same here. Hope this helps. Coondog  

I agree with the analogy, but I also think it makes my point.  You have some cars that the entire list of accesrories is geared towards making the car go fast, and all of the parts work together.  For example a bigger exhaust combined with a bigger carb & less restrictive air intake.  Then you have some cars that their accessories either fight each other, or make no sense (like big rear tires on a Civic).
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 2:50:54 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I agree, that's why I covered the 'why' in my post about my carbine Forest's Carbine
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 3:30:19 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree, that's why I covered the 'why' in my post about my carbine Forest's Carbine

Awesome!  I will now add you to my list with Hawkeye.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 4:21:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Like this?

16" RRA midlength with Armalite rails, Cav Arms furniture, and an OKO reflex sight

I use it for general purpose stuff, and for plinking

Thought I'd post a sample
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top