Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/8/2004 1:27:53 PM EDT
Ok I've been working on this carbine - upgrading as funds allow for a while.  Here it is pretty much complete (ok I'll get anal and paint the light mounts green to match - but bear with me).

Side view of the carbine:

Close up showing the locking ring of DD and the LaRue EOTech mount:

My thanks for the tips on front sight removal to those that posted.  Also, my thanks to the many AR15.com vendors/industry partners that had all the 'kewl' stuff.

Here is how she breaks down:
Bushmaster lower with custom (super hard, super smooth, stainless steel) trigger/hammer pins.
Bushmaster bolt carrier group
Bushmaster 16" chrome lined Super Light Weight barrel (yes it handles 77gr just fine)
Fulton Armory numbered upper (with A1 forward assist)
PRI Big Latch (thanks to CLTactical.com)
PRI Fat Boy Gas Tube (thanks to CLTactical.com)
LMT 'H' Buffer (thanks to CLTactical.com)
OD Sully Stock (thanks to Midwest Tactical
OD Tango Down Battlegrip (thanks to ADCO Firearms)
OD KAC Fore Grip (thanks to MSTN.biz)
Daniels Defense 7.0 with OD Ladder pannels (thanks to MSTN.biz)
EOTech 552 (thanks to CLTactical.com)
LaRue ECOS-C EOTech mount (thanks to GandRTactical.com)
ARMS #40 (thanks to Fulton Armory)
YHM 3 Slot Angled Dovetail Mount with Large Head screw (thanks to BrightFlashlights)
TDI Light Mount (thanks to BrightFlashlights)
Surefire 650 with flip off Blue Filter (thanks to BrightFlashlights)

I'll be using my Tactical Taylor 3pt sling with it (that I purchased at Olympic Arms years ago).

Whew I think that pretty much covers it.  One project down, another nearing completion, and one starting up....
Link Posted: 7/8/2004 2:07:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Oh the driving philosophy was the lightest 'fighting carbine' I could build that could take some abuse and mount my light & foward grip.  Hence the choice of the DD 7.0 (lightest rail system available - even lighter than the M44s) and the KAC foregrip (less than 3 oz).

The Carbine weights in at 6lbs in its 'dry weight' (no light or optics - just the BUIS).  Add in the Optics/mount/spare batteries in the grip and it adds a bit over 1 lbs (she sure is lighter when I have the TA50-2 on it).  Then another half pound for the light & mounts.
Link Posted: 7/8/2004 2:12:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Very nice Forest.

I am digging that OD Sully Stock!!

And the LaRue mount, of course!

Monty
Link Posted: 7/8/2004 2:51:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Very nice setup! I agree Sully stock does look pretty cool.  How do you like the new LaRue EOTech mount?
Link Posted: 7/8/2004 3:11:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks good but I have to say you lost me with the LaRue Eotech mount? What's the point of it? Looks like you lost the ability to co-witness? Please clue me in cause I'm just not getting it?

Have you shot it yet? I'm curious if the fat boy tube combined with the H-buffer on a 16" barrel might be too much?

Link Posted: 7/8/2004 4:37:40 PM EDT
[#5]
How is the trigger with the custom pins?
Do they make a big difference?
Link Posted: 7/8/2004 5:43:59 PM EDT
[#6]
nice looking rifle.  Is that stock any shorter than an a2 stock?   You actually use the forward assist?  
Link Posted: 7/8/2004 6:09:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the comments guys.  I'll try to answer all your questions:

LaRue Mount This is a slick piece of Engineering.  Only 3 oz but it gives me so much IMHO
1) Moves the iron sight from the middle of the window to the lower 1/4 (which I prefer) - I can still use them they just don't take up half the window now.
2) Give a near-perfect return to zero (the built in EOTech mount only returns to 1moa).
3) Quicker on/off with the throw lever - AND all the parts are captive - nothing to lose.
4) Another neat option that I won't be able to use till the fall/winter.  See that bit of raised rail behind the optic?  It's the attachment point for the soon-to-be released 3.75x magnifying optic that turns the CQB optic into a mid range scope in a few seconds.

I like this mount!

PRI Fat Boy Gas Tube & H Buffer
As I just added the DD7.0 last night I have not had a chance to try it.  I had read reports from fellow ARFcommers that it softens the 'sharp' recoil of the carbine gas&buffer system.  As this is my lightest carbine (and the one I'll be teaching my wife on) I thought I'd try it out.  SMGLee recommended the addition of the H buffer for reliable operation.  I expect my carbine to use all ammo with full reliability - especially the Black Hills 75gr (which some have said doesn't work well with this gas tube).

Sully Stock
Yes this stock is much shorter than an A2 stock.  Its about an inch and a half shorter than the A1 stock or a bit more than an inch longer than a fully collapsed telestock/Stubby stock.  This stock is about 7oz lighter than an A1/A2 stock and only 3oz heavier than a telestock (but much more durable as its solid).

Custom Trigger Pins
There is a story to these.  Several years ago my friend and co-worker ran one of the companies machine shops.  When work was light he would give his guys tasks to do (usually related to his hobbys ) to keep their skills sharp.  Well I asked if his guys could make me a set of 'slave pins' for removing the fire-contol pieces easily.  The guys 'over did it' (they were too nice for slave pins) and I just had them make them into trigger & hammer pins (and convert my existing hammer and trigger pins into the slave pins per the -23&P).  Normally I polish the trigger pin (per Chuck's recommendation) to remove the grittiness.  However this removed the protective coating on the pins.  These 'custom' pins are polished and super hard and I have NO 'gritty' feel in the trigger, and they won't rust as easily as the standard pins. (I painted the ends black so they wouldn't stand out - I have to touch them up every other year or so).

Are they needed?  No they aren't, they are not even a significant upgrade.  But they are nice, and they improve the trigger a bit.  Consider them similar to a 'gold toilet seat', not practical to make - but its head and shoulders about the 'stock' one.

Forward Assist
Yes I use the F/A that is why ALL my uppers have the A1 style FA.  The teardrop style is easier to thumb, and if you need to whack the FA (i.e. SPORTS) its much easier on the palm.
Link Posted: 7/8/2004 11:31:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Very nice carbine!
Link Posted: 7/8/2004 11:39:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Looks great
Link Posted: 7/9/2004 4:04:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Very Nice !
Link Posted: 7/9/2004 4:53:05 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
LaRue Mount This is a slick piece of Engineering.  Only 3 oz but it gives me so much IMHO
1) Moves the iron sight from the middle of the window to the lower 1/4 (which I prefer) - I can still use them they just don't take up half the window now.
2) Give a near-perfect return to zero (the built in EOTech mount only returns to 1moa).
3) Quicker on/off with the throw lever - AND all the parts are captive - nothing to lose.
4) Another neat option that I won't be able to use till the fall/winter.  See that bit of raised rail behind the optic?  It's the attachment point for the soon-to-be released 3.75x magnifying optic that turns the CQB optic into a mid range scope in a few seconds.

I like this mount!

Interesting - I'm waiting on my 552 to come in from SMGlee as I write this. This is one of those times I wish I could try one before buying it. You make it sound good but I don't know if I would like it? Who carries them and how much do they sell for?

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/9/2004 5:14:14 AM EDT
[#12]
VERY SWEET!!! What kind of barrel is that? It looks like a thin profile one.
Link Posted: 7/9/2004 5:55:30 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
VERY SWEET!!! What kind of barrel is that? It looks like a thin profile one.

Thanks.

Here is how she breaks down:
Bushmaster lower with custom (super hard, super smooth, stainless steel) trigger/hammer pins.
Bushmaster bolt carrier group
Bushmaster 16" chrome lined Super Light Weight barrel (yes it handles 77gr just fine)
Fulton Armory numbered upper (with A1 forward assist)

Link Posted: 7/9/2004 5:57:16 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
....Who carries them and how much do they sell for?

Grant at G&R Tactical cost is $120 delivered.
Link Posted: 7/9/2004 5:58:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/9/2004 3:35:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Is there a website for that midwest tactical?
Link Posted: 7/9/2004 6:56:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/10/2004 8:04:19 AM EDT
[#18]
This is kind of a silly question but is that stock the same as the ar-180b?  I know that that particular rifle doesn't use the same action as an ar with the spring in the stock but it looks just like it.  Maybe it's modeled after it?
Link Posted: 7/10/2004 8:16:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Good looking carbine!
Link Posted: 7/10/2004 11:09:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/10/2004 1:13:20 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
This is kind of a silly question but is that stock the same as the ar-180b?  I know that that particular rifle doesn't use the same action as an ar with the spring in the stock but it looks just like it.  Maybe it's modeled after it?

I think that's the Sully Stock
Link Posted: 7/13/2004 7:58:35 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Great rifle, Forest.  I'm anxious to hear your range report.  How did the FSB come off for you?

-Troy

Thanks Troy.

I should be 'testdriving' it Thursday after work if I'm lucky, if not I'll try her out this weekend.

The FSB on this barrel came out very easy (unlike my 1:7 HBAR).  I have a post in the "Build It' forums (Installing the DD 7.0) with some of my notes & comments.  Thanks for your tips - they helped!
Link Posted: 7/13/2004 7:59:22 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think that's the Sully Stock

It IS a Sully Stock.
Link Posted: 7/13/2004 3:47:20 PM EDT
[#24]
I know it's a sully stock, I was just commenting on how much the sully stock looked like and ar-180 stock.
Link Posted: 7/18/2004 5:38:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Ok I got some range time with the carbine this weekend.  Not alot fired:
100 Rounds Black Hills 75gr
100 Rounds Winchester Q3131A
20 rounds PMP
20 rounds Wold (laquered case)

Several magazines of Q3131A fired as fast as I could pull the trigger.  Many drills requiring a 'double tap'.

Nothing phased this carbine.  She hummed right along delivering accurate fire.  I did have a couple of comments on my experience.

1) The recoil was more like the rifle - much more consistant push (not 'sharp' like carbines usually are).

2) I was surprised at how LITTLE my accuracy changed (consider I removed the front sight from the barrel, and the old barrel nut).  My irons were good enough to come within 3" of the point of aim at 50 yards (a bit high).  The EOTech was about 8" right and 4" high (and I had moved it to the LaRue mount).

Hopefully I'll be at a 'formal' range later this week for some accuracy tests.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top