Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/23/2018 6:26:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Redbirdxx]
I have another thread going about a 1500 Howa I just put together. I'll update that in due time but suffice it to say it was not a good day. Got the gun home and went over everything and found this-

Attachment Attached File

I know that crown is critical when it comes to accuracy, does this translate to brakes as well? Because if it does it would explain the absolute crap day I had at the range today. Otherwise I need to keep looking for what went wrong...
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 6:34:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd really doubt it.  The actual crown is before the brake.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 6:44:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm aware of where the actual crown is.

My question is would the unevenness in the exit of the brake possibly be enough to induce some yaw and screw with my groups? The gun should have been easily sub MOA, what I saw was 2-2.5. It was  my first time out with it and am trying to eliminate potential problems, because there's definitely a problem.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 6:51:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Again, I really doubt it.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 6:52:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes!

I was getting even lighter baffle strikes on the end cap with my .22 thread on suppressor, so light you couldn't even see a mark,  and l had sideways strikes on the target at 10'. With huge groups.

Ran a 1/4" bit through the end cap and no more sideways bullets and groups shrank.

The bullet can not touch anything!
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 6:54:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Bumblebee_Bob:
Yes!

I was getting even lighter baffle strikes on the end cap with my .22 thread on suppressor, so light you couldn't even see a mark,  and l had sideways strikes on the target at 10'. With huge groups.

Ran a 1/4" bit through the end cap and no more sideways bullets and groups shrank.

View Quote
do you think that's a strike?
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 6:56:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By goldeyeslayer:
Again, I really doubt it.
View Quote
Thank you, and sorry if I'm coming off a bit cranky.

Yes!

View Quote
I don't think I'm dealing with a strike, just sloppy machining. It's a .30 caliber brake and I'm shooting 6.5 Creedmoor through it.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 6:57:11 PM EDT
[#7]
That hole should be bigger than your bullet by quite a bit, also I'm not seeing the problem? It's a bit rough?
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 7:01:09 PM EDT
[#8]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Yes!

It does look like it to me.

Easiest way to find out is to remove the brake and shoot the gun for groups.

If the accuracy is what one would expect from the gun then there's something funky about the brake.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 7:13:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By BoxofRox:
That hole should be bigger than your bullet by quite a bit, also I'm not seeing the problem? It's a bit rough?
View Quote
The lighter area in the photo is machined lower than the rest of the exit of the brake. Whether that's a problem or not is what I'm curious about.

It does look like it to me.  

Easiest way to find out is to remove the brake and shoot the gun for groups.  

If the accuracy is what one would expect from the gun then there's something funky about the brake.
View Quote
That's the plan and I wish I would have thought of it while I was at the range today. For what I paid for this thing I assumed it wouldn't be an issue. In the meantime I'm tapping the collective here to see if I should keep looking for problems.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 8:16:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Shoot it brake less and you will know whether it’s the brake or not.

If it isn’t the brake, I’d start with the action screws (which you might want to check before you shoot next.)

Then scope mounts.

Then action bedding and barrel bedding or free float.

Then the scope itself.

Might try some different ammo early as well. I had one rifle that was MOAish with most ammo but hated one bullet, and I have a 30-06 which is gtg with everything except 165gr cored bullets.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 8:23:17 PM EDT
[#11]
If it's your first time running it, you may be using ammo or grain that it doesn't like. Sub moa is usually not every brand, weight etc.
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 12:01:09 PM EDT
[#12]
If that was a strike you wouldn't even be seeing 2.5 MOA.  It would be throwing bullets all over.
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 12:26:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By JPK:
Shoot it brake less and you will know whether it’s the brake or not.

If it isn’t the brake, I’d start with the action screws (which you might want to check before you shoot next.)

Then scope mounts.

Then action bedding and barrel bedding or free float.

Then the scope itself.
View Quote
Everything seems rock solid on the gun but it will get broken down and everything retorqued this week. The brake has been removed and will stay on my workbench until this is sorted out.

Might try some different ammo early as well. I had one rifle that was MOAish with most ammo but hated one bullet, and I have a 30-06 which is gtg with everything except 165gr cored bullets.
View Quote
Originally Posted By 12bhunting:
If it's your first time running it, you may be using ammo or grain that it doesn't like. Sub moa is usually not every brand, weight etc.
View Quote
I really hope that's not the case as I already have 200 of the same bullets waiting to be loaded. I thought the 140 grain ELD Match was about the safest choice I could make for 6.5 Creedmoor.

Originally Posted By TeeRex:
If that was a strike you wouldn't even be seeing 2.5 MOA.  It would be throwing bullets all over.
View Quote
I don't believe it's a strike.
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 3:25:45 PM EDT
[#14]
I’m a little late to the party, but also make sure the brake is not over-torqued.

Running a route-cause by eliminating variables is how I’d work the problem, starting by eliminating the brake and shooting for groups.
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 4:45:01 PM EDT
[#15]
I eliminated the brake as the problem last weekend and just got back from a relatively successful outing with the brake installed, so I can now definitively answer my own question- no, that machining error is not enough to significantly effect accuracy.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 10:05:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By BoxofRox:
That hole should be bigger than your bullet by quite a bit,
View Quote
0.003" on all sides, 0.006" diametrically for concentric machining operations.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 7:41:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Redbirdxx:

Everything seems rock solid on the gun but it will get broken down and everything retorqued this week. The brake has been removed and will stay on my workbench until this is sorted out.

I really hope that's not the case as I already have 200 of the same bullets waiting to be loaded. I thought the 140 grain ELD Match was about the safest choice I could make for 6.5 Creedmoor.

I don't believe it's a strike.
View Quote
What bullet are you running?
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 7:55:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By divermedic68:

What bullet are you running?
View Quote
140 grain ELD-M. See this thread for complete info.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top