Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/14/2009 11:44:51 AM EDT
I cheated a bit and got a bag of pre-made pasta with a cream sauce (frozen).   The family loved it (chicken, spinach, cream based sauce and farfalle pasta).  

Easy enough to do at home....however, I want to make up a batch of sauce and freeze some smaller portions...(for those that are interested...background and reasons for the request at the end of the post).

So, I need a cream based sauce that will freeze fairly well....in about 1/4 to 1/2c portions (Muffin Cups).

The bag listed ingredients along the lines of a fairly light alfredo (cream, water, parmesian, romano, food starches, seasonings).

Not sure how to get it to freeze and re-heat without breaking.

Thanks!!

Background:   The wife got the book "How to Eat Right For Your Type" so she can't have 'red sauce' (tomato based).    She had this recommended by a N.D. (Naturopathic Doctor)...despite my recommendation (OK, despite my outright comment) that the Dr. was full of shit...including their "Iridology Test" $125, etc..    I'm guessing that someone at work recommended them.   So, when I make a standard pasta with Meat Sauce, I'll have to pull out a small portion of this sauce to ensure She actually eats something reasonably healthy for dinner (better than cookies, extra ice cream for dessert, etc.).
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 12:16:13 PM EDT
[#1]
chefs thread on basic sauces, theres one or two alfredos in the thread, but no "food starches"

chefs index
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:04:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Chef,

Thanks for the recipe....not too far from what I have made in the past.  Wasn't sure how well it would freeze, though.   The "Food Starches" (couldn't remember if it was Cornstarch, Arrowroot, etc.) were an additive (as in most pre-packed stuff)––thickener without adding too much expensive cream or Parmesian, but didn't know if they helped keep it stable through thawing/reheating.

AFARR
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:22:17 PM EDT
[#3]
food starches, generic, just scares me,,only God and some chemist know what it actually is..and yes, thickening agents will help keep a cream sauce, tight, but can also make it grainy.

most sauces freeze well, except complete milk reductions, they tend to break when reheating, but,,you can use a roux or cornstarch/arrowroot to pull it together..

CHEF
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top