Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/17/2020 1:13:28 PM EDT
Well, post em up!

But if you could also jot down some words about the pros and cons along with if you would buy again. Post one pic or multiple knives, this way those who are trying to decide on a survival knife can get an idea!
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 1:25:14 PM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 6/17/2020 1:25:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a few but currently this is what I have been playing with and carrying on the pack.

Survive! Knives GSO 4.1

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 1:35:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Esee 6. It’s a damn good knife, but depending on the survival situation, a smaller/lighter knife may be a bit more practical.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 1:42:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 2:28:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

+1 for the USMC KA-BAR knife. Tough, harder 'n hell steel, takes a good edge IF you give it some TLC.
Mine has a serrated clip for cutting wet rope.
I wish they'd had the shorter version (5" instead of 7"). It would be a bit easier to handle. And a slightly larger, more sturdy hand guard.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 3:14:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 5:51:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/277150/906D8DB4-ADAE-4D58-8F52-8FFF1F3C85C6_jpe-1465405.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/277150/B3191D11-3F20-47A7-B93C-817A5A3DED2E_jpe-1465407.JPG

Esee 6. It’s a damn good knife, but depending on the survival situation, a smaller/lighter knife may be a bit more practical.
View Quote

Love the -6

How come the 6 is usually the only knife in any group of pictures that looks like it's seen some actual use?  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 8:17:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

+1 for the USMC KA-BAR knife. Tough, harder 'n hell steel, takes a good edge IF you give it some TLC.
Mine has a serrated clip for cutting wet rope.
I wish they'd had the shorter version (5" instead of 7"). It would be a bit easier to handle. And a slightly larger, more sturdy hand guard.
View Quote

Sounds like you want the Aircrew Survival Egress knife.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 8:21:46 PM EDT
[#9]
not my pic but i have one just like it...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 10:04:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Love the -6

How come the 6 is usually the only knife in any group of pictures that looks like it's seen some actual use?  

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/171243/ESEEFire2_png-1465704.JPG
View Quote

Give me time!!! Soon mine (Esee 4) should be looking like that toward the end of the year.

Link Posted: 6/18/2020 7:15:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Camillus Pilot Survival Knife, paracord wrap with Blackhawk sheath.

Link Posted: 6/18/2020 2:39:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Much depends on your idea of “survival”.  Boreal forest? High desert? Jungle? Any suburban or urban environments?  Latitude and longitude along with season would all influence choices.

Since I consider it more universal and not knowing exact conditions, I like a slightly smaller fixed blade that I can carry in a variety of ways to make sure it’s always with me.  I would prefer a small folding saw to augment (and I would sacrifice a 6-7” blade for a smaller 4” blade if I could add that saw), but the same would go for wanting to pair it a small forest axe in a boreal zone or winter in the mountainous region; or having a machete paired with it in a swamp or jungle region.

Ideal for me?  4-5” fixed blade.  I like drop, spear, or straight clip pointed tips.  I prefer a convex grind (just my preference) and most of my “survival” knives are paired with a smaller bird-and-trout type knife.  The sheath is part of the survival system and have a Firesteel with tinder and a double sided sharpener (diamond and ceramic).  I need a sheath that will integrate with a pack to some degree, but I’ve found horizontal carry a preference for many of my outdoors activities.  I favor Kydex over leather, but you can heavily wax leather to last through some outdoors abuses…

Blade steel is less important than heat treatment unless I’m going to be in and around salty/brine water.  I generally prefer a higher carbon steel (1095, O1, A2, 5160, etc.), but I also have some of the cutlery designed steels (like 3V, S30V, S35VN, etc.).  Again, it’s the heat-treatment that is most important.

For production, it’s really hard to beat ESEE, but I like some customs which have performed very well for me over the years (Habilus Bush Tool and Martin Knives BT):

ROCK6
Link Posted: 6/21/2020 8:00:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Morakniv and my Esee

The Mora is my skinning knife and the Esee has proven to be a good jack of all trades knife. Holds an edge after battoning, I am happy.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 7:28:39 PM EDT
[#14]

Nothing fancy, but it works.
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 12:25:14 AM EDT
[#15]

ESEE 4 in a custom sheath I made. Great knife.
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 9:02:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
https://i.imgur.com/D21qPtj.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/uVkCSyU.jpg

View Quote

I dig that sheath.

Does that take a long time to make?
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 11:19:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I dig that sheath.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://i.imgur.com/D21qPtj.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/uVkCSyU.jpg

I dig that sheath.

Thanks. I think it turned out pretty good for no more experience than I have making sheaths and holsters. Kind of picked the hobby up during the pandemic while slowly putting a bug out bag together at the same time. Head scratching, laying out the design, and tooling the leather takes the longest. Cutting, dyeing, and stitching it goes pretty quick. I'd say a solid 8-10 hrs went into it being a total novice. Next up, holster for a suppressed Buckmark with a red dot.
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 12:00:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Thanks. I think it turned out pretty good for no more experience than I have making sheaths and holsters. Kind of picked the hobby up during the pandemic while slowly putting a bug out bag together at the same time. Head scratching, laying out the design, and tooling the leather takes the longest. Cutting, dyeing, and stitching it goes pretty quick. I'd say a solid 8-10 hrs went into it being a total novice. Next up, holster for a suppressed Buckmark with a red dot.
View Quote

Not to bad. That’s damn cool. I need to pick up a hobby like this.
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 10:39:26 PM EDT
[#19]
My woods knife that I just about always take with me is my Tops Silent hero.  

Similar in size to an esee 6 it's just at the point where it is large enough for most tasks but is still somewhat handy.
Any larger and I would find it to be cumbersome, but it's not a across that line for me.

Still need to get a decent kydex sheath made for it, but the leather has held up well so far.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 10:32:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/5/2020 2:31:34 PM EDT
[#21]

Niiiccee!

Impressive.  Most impressive.  But you are not a Jedi knight yet.....
Link Posted: 7/5/2020 4:34:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Little Independence Day project.

Removed the coating from the blade:

Then dipped the exposed metal only in hot apple cider vinegar:
Link Posted: 7/5/2020 4:39:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/5/2020 10:47:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
[snip]

My favorite fixed blade....a Cold Steel ODA that I rehandled, since i will never spend $$$ on a Randall 1-7

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/2604/20191117_153719-1190825.jpg

[snip]
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 1:24:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50079932838_201fffe680_b.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50079933473_e38d6e110c_b.jpg
View Quote

Not being a wiseass....
Why would you do this?
Again, I’m asking because I genuinely want to know.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 5:27:12 PM EDT
[#26]
People do that for a forced patina. Less coating on the blade from epoxy or paint causes less drag in a slice. That is not the only reason. The other is to allow the bare metal to be sparked for fire starting and scraping with the spine of the blade. Scraping is useful for sparking a ferro rod and also nice for shaping wood, making tinder, removing bark. Some people also like the look.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 6:48:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Not being a wiseass....
Why would you do this?
View Quote

Along with what Kskvetski mentioned, some like to use an uncoated blade if doing a lot of food prep as well.  Coatings are fine and they work, but there's no disadvantage of taking the coating off and either getting a natural patina or a forced one.  Regular use and a little maintenance removes any concerns about rust.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 7:17:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Ahhh thanks guys, just picked up an esee 3, and it’s my first 1095 blade.  Sounds like something I should plan to do, especially since I planned to have a ferro rod along side it.  Didn’t realize it wouldn’t spark with the coating on it.  

As it’s considered a bushcraft knife, I wonder why esee doesn’t offer the 1095 steel uncoated.
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 7:28:46 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Ahhh thanks guys, just picked up an esee 3, and it’s my first 1095 blade.  Sounds like something I should plan to do, especially since I planned to have a ferro rod along side it.  Didn’t realize it wouldn’t spark with the coating on it.  

As it’s considered a bushcraft knife, I wonder why esee doesn’t offer the 1095 steel uncoated.
View Quote

I'm surprised as well.  I do have one of their ESSE 3 440C stainless versions that is stone-washed.  I really like it.  Even being stone-washed "stainless" it's developed some patina.  I would have zero issues removing the coating on a 1095 version.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 8:41:11 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I'm surprised as well.  I do have one of their ESSE 3 440C stainless versions that is stone-washed.  I really like it.  Even being stone-washed "stainless" it's developed some patina.  I would have zero issues removing the coating on a 1095 version.

ROCK6
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ahhh thanks guys, just picked up an esee 3, and it's my first 1095 blade.  Sounds like something I should plan to do, especially since I planned to have a ferro rod along side it.  Didn't realize it wouldn't spark with the coating on it.  

As it's considered a bushcraft knife, I wonder why esee doesn't offer the 1095 steel uncoated.

ROCK6
The only downside I've found to my 1095 EESE 3 is the need to make sure it's dry and oiled before I put it away. The uncoated portions of the blade will rust quickly if I don't. Even the areas where they have laser engraved their logo will get surface rust.
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 7:28:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 7:38:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Still have mine
View Quote
Not my ideal "survival knife", but given the OP's open-ended question, I couldn't  restrain myself.

Truth be told, i actually do own such a blade, so it's not at all a troll post.

Personally, I believe the Mora knives are a pretty good value.  Better two good knives than one great knife.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 12:17:25 AM EDT
[#34]
Mora 511.

The only thing wrong with the Mora 511 is the sheath it comes with and I remedy that with a basic fold over Kydex sheath.
Link Posted: 8/6/2020 2:45:31 AM EDT
[#35]

Link Posted: 8/6/2020 2:49:18 AM EDT
[#36]
Not for woods survival, for zombie survival - great for reverse grip hacking defensive technique. Left click on the pic and it will re-size so it's not so big.

Link Posted: 8/6/2020 3:06:20 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
The only downside I've found to my 1095 EESE 3 is the need to make sure it's dry and oiled before I put it away. The uncoated portions of the blade will rust quickly if I don't. Even the areas where they have laser engraved their logo will get surface rust.
View Quote

So Esee now has S35vn, I have their Esee 3 in satin and that truly is premium super steel and you're not gonna rust that if you try. Also, if you apply Tuff-glide to your current 1095 blades, let it coat overnight, should really not be an issue either, if you do that once every year or so.
Link Posted: 8/6/2020 12:34:39 PM EDT
[#39]
I love my 3 and EDC it 90% of the time.
Attachment Attached File

But for getting work done or if I could only have one knife,
junglas.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 5:02:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Not being a wiseass....
Why would you do this?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50079932838_201fffe680_b.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50079933473_e38d6e110c_b.jpg

Not being a wiseass....
Why would you do this?

Makes the blade smoother to baton with!

Also before you go off stripping the coating and you want to preserve the logos and other etchings, you do a process with ferric chloride to give the logos a stamped look which I have been doing with my other blades:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 8:31:37 PM EDT
[#41]
So I have been trying to stay out of this thread because my "survival knife" is a little old school.   Background: I was attached to a helicopter squadron in the late 80's early 90's.  Back then no one at the squadron thought very highly of the issued survival knife so most people bought their own.   One of the more popular choices was the Gerber BMF.   The saw teeth on the back were intended for aircrew to cut aluminum in a pinch.   Well I sold my BMF when I left the squadron but eventually replaced it.  

I wasn't a fan of the sheath that came with the BMF so I swapped it out with a black M9 sheath that I had laying around.    The wire cutter serves no purpose with the BMF but I have used the notch to hang the sheath from a couple of times.   The mag pouch on the M9 sheath is sometimes used to hold a small squirt bottle of mosquito repellent and sometimes a waterproof aluminum cylinder with hurricane matches, depending on the season.   I put a compass in the lid of the aluminum cylinder also.   I have looked at better sheaths but having those matches there has been so darn handy that I would hate to give that up.   The compass has been used a couple of times as well but not for anything really mission critical.   I cannot think of any time that North was determined with that compass where it couldn't have been determined by other means.   It was just a convenience thing.  

There is also about 20 feet of parachute cord wound up and tucked along side of the sheath.   It is held in place with a couple of elastic bands.    

The knife has held up well.   Typically it is sharp enough to shave with and although I have tried, I have never mastered the ability to really sharpen a knife with the stone on the back of the sheath.   It is nice knowing that I could put a bit of an edge back on the knife if I do serious damage to it but other than emergency repairs the built in stone will probably never be used.      This knife can baton wood but with the taper on the back of the blade you do wear down the branch that you are batonning with fairly quickly.  

2Hut8
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 8:36:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
So I have been trying to stay out of this thread because my "survival knife" is a little old school.   Background: I was attached to a helicopter squadron in the late 80's early 90's.  Back then no one at the squadron thought very highly of the issued survival knife so most people bought their own.   One of the more popular choices was the Gerber BMF.   The saw teeth on the back were intended for aircrew to cut aluminum in a pinch.   Well I sold my BMF when I left the squadron but eventually replaced it.  

I wasn't a fan of the sheath that came with the BMF so I swapped it out with a black M9 sheath that I had laying around.    The wire cutter serves no purpose with the BMF but I have used the notch to hang the sheath from a couple of times.   The mag pouch on the M9 sheath is sometimes used to hold a small squirt bottle of mosquito repellent and sometimes a waterproof aluminum cylinder with hurricane matches, depending on the season.   I put a compass in the lid of the aluminum cylinder also.   I have looked at better sheaths but having those matches there has been so darn handy that I would hate to give that up.   The compass has been used a couple of times as well but not for anything really mission critical.   I cannot think of any time that North was determined with that compass where it couldn't have been determined by other means.   It was just a convenience thing.  

There is also about 20 feet of parachute cord wound up and tucked along side of the sheath.   It is held in place with a couple of elastic bands.    

The knife has held up well.   Typically it is sharp enough to shave with and although I have tried, I have never mastered the ability to really sharpen a knife with the stone on the back of the sheath.   It is nice knowing that I could put a bit of an edge back on the knife if I do serious damage to it but other than emergency repairs the built in stone will probably never be used.      This knife can baton wood but with the taper on the back of the blade you do wear down the branch that you are batonning with fairly quickly.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/415398/IMG_1022_-1537017.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/415398/IMG_1023_-1537018.jpg

2Hut8
View Quote

Stout blade! What fire starter kit is that with the compass?
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 8:48:36 PM EDT
[#43]
It's big. Thick. And Stabs like a dick.

Glass breaker on rear and a spindle socket for primitive fire making.
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 9:37:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Stout blade! What fire starter kit is that with the compass?
View Quote

@Jackal-FnM

It is something that I put together.   I bought the tube, matches, compass separately.   Something like these items:

https://www.amazon.com/CONBEE-Military-Container-Waterproof-Emergency/dp/B01I2ICM52/ref=sr_1_8?crid=XAPHOR4BT06C&dchild=1&keywords=waterproof+aluminum+tube&qid=1596849780&sprefix=waterproof+aluminum+%2Caps%2C157&sr=8-8

https://www.amazon.com/UCO-Stormproof-Burning-Waterproof-Windproof/dp/B0114MIM7A/ref=sr_1_10?crid=37RQP1C0YKH8W&dchild=1&keywords=hurricane+matches&qid=1596849858&sprefix=hurricane+ma%2Caps%2C722&sr=8-10

https://www.amazon.com/Compass-Hiking-Button-Survival-Paracord/dp/B07KQ265RX/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=20mm+compass&qid=1596849892&sr=8-2

I wish that they would make a Matchcap XL longer/deeper to work with the hurricane matches:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007DL2Q4C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

because keeping the striker dry and accessible is really handy.  Advertisements for the Martchcap XL show them with hurricane matches in them but the hurricane matches that I buy would have to be cut down to the point that there wouldn't be any wood left to hold onto if I cut them down far enough to fit.      

2Hut8
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 9:45:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/415398/IMG_1022_-1537017.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/415398/IMG_1023_-1537018.jpg

2Hut8
View Quote
Nice.  I haven't seen one of those since my Army days.  A lot of our folks bought those and took them with to the sandbox.
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 10:10:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Its great bc it is decent quality but still cheap. Great sheath that holds my multi-plier tool also. I plasti- dipped my handle as the "ooze- groove" scales are a little more aggresive than i need.
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 11:01:26 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

@Jackal-FnM

It is something that I put together.   I bought the tube, matches, compass separately.   Something like these items:

https://www.amazon.com/CONBEE-Military-Container-Waterproof-Emergency/dp/B01I2ICM52/ref=sr_1_8?crid=XAPHOR4BT06C&dchild=1&keywords=waterproof+aluminum+tube&qid=1596849780&sprefix=waterproof+aluminum+%2Caps%2C157&sr=8-8

https://www.amazon.com/UCO-Stormproof-Burning-Waterproof-Windproof/dp/B0114MIM7A/ref=sr_1_10?crid=37RQP1C0YKH8W&dchild=1&keywords=hurricane+matches&qid=1596849858&sprefix=hurricane+ma%2Caps%2C722&sr=8-10

https://www.amazon.com/Compass-Hiking-Button-Survival-Paracord/dp/B07KQ265RX/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=20mm+compass&qid=1596849892&sr=8-2

I wish that they would make a Matchcap XL longer/deeper to work with the hurricane matches:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007DL2Q4C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

because keeping the striker dry and accessible is really handy.  Advertisements for the Martchcap XL show them with hurricane matches in them but the hurricane matches that I buy would have to be cut down to the point that there wouldn't be any wood left to hold onto if I cut them down far enough to fit.      

2Hut8
View Quote

@2Hut8

Thank you!!
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 11:23:05 PM EDT
[#48]
I don’t have photos handy but mine are a variety. Most commonly a BK15 or old RC-4 (before ESEE), but also a BK7 and Cold Steel SRK on occasion.
Link Posted: 8/8/2020 12:55:32 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Nice.  I haven't seen one of those since my Army days.  A lot of our folks bought those and took them with to the sandbox.
View Quote

I assume that you are referring to Desert Shield and Desert Storm.   I served in both of those operations.   Yes, that is the era that these knives were popular.    
Link Posted: 8/8/2020 1:40:34 AM EDT
[#50]

What grind is that in your 18? Very nice.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top