BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/8/2020 1:53:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I assume that you are referring to Desert Shield and Desert Storm.   I served in both of those operations.   Yes, that is the era that these knives were popular.    
View Quote
Yes.  Sandbox 1.1.0
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 1:42:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Ranger RD7 (ala Gingrich)

5160 steel/convex edge to18dps. Bicycle inner tube over the micarta for better grip. Modded original sheath. Silva Companion velcro'd to front.

Under the Molle on the back of the sheath: contractor bag cut for body covering, 1 gal freezer bag for water portage, 1 foot square of super HD foil, 4 packs of Micropur tabs, and a length of picture frame wire for snares,etc..

Pouch contents: DMT Dia-fold sharpener, spool of Spiderwire and some hooks, mini Bic lighter, Maglite Solitaire and spare battery, small ferro rod wrapped with Gorilla tape, a mylar "Space" blanket vacuum sealed with some cash, and a hank of paracord piggybacking the pouch.

Link Posted: 8/9/2020 2:15:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 2:23:04 PM EDT
[#4]
For years I carried an old Cold Steel SRK in Carbon V in a home made leather sheath then I realized I rarely needed a larger knife so I switched to a DR Russel Canadian Belt Knife, occasionally a Mora or lately, an Izula.  Just no need for a larger knife for short trips unless I want to play bushcrafter.  When traveling I carry the SRK.
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 3:06:41 PM EDT
[#5]
ESEE 5 on the GHB, ESEE 4 on the battle belt, ESEE 3 on the chest rig.  
I'm seeing a trend here...
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 3:11:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Ahhh thanks guys, just picked up an esee 3, and it's my first 1095 blade.  Sounds like something I should plan to do, especially since I planned to have a ferro rod along side it.  Didn't realize it wouldn't spark with the coating on it.  

As it's considered a bushcraft knife, I wonder why esee doesn't offer the 1095 steel uncoated.
View Quote
They used to offer the ESEE 4 uncoated but quit a few years back.  I have two of them; one with a forced patina and one NIB for a back-up.  I also have a couple of coated versions as well.
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 3:47:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
https://i.imgur.com/D21qPtj.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/uVkCSyU.jpg

ESEE 4 in a custom sheath I made. Great knife.
View Quote

VERY nice leatherwork.
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 4:04:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

@raygixxer89

It's a "commemorative" grind that was made in 1988 when Randall celebrated their 50th anniversary - 1 of 11 made.
View Quote

Holy moly! BThat's a rare piece! Very nice. I can't wait to get my Randalls. When I bought my Model 1 I knew right away that it wasn't going to be my last.
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 12:04:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

I see that you are missing the Laser Strike, Candiru.....
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 1:41:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't like the appearance of the Laser strike.  But I have 3 Izulas, 1 Izula 2, and 3 Candirus.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 1:47:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Attachment Attached File

My Emerson in its natural state.
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 1:57:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
So I have been trying to stay out of this thread because my "survival knife" is a little old school.   Background: I was attached to a helicopter squadron in the late 80's early 90's.  Back then no one at the squadron thought very highly of the issued survival knife so most people bought their own.   One of the more popular choices was the Gerber BMF.   The saw teeth on the back were intended for aircrew to cut aluminum in a pinch.   Well I sold my BMF when I left the squadron but eventually replaced it.  

I wasn't a fan of the sheath that came with the BMF so I swapped it out with a black M9 sheath that I had laying around.    The wire cutter serves no purpose with the BMF but I have used the notch to hang the sheath from a couple of times.   The mag pouch on the M9 sheath is sometimes used to hold a small squirt bottle of mosquito repellent and sometimes a waterproof aluminum cylinder with hurricane matches, depending on the season.   I put a compass in the lid of the aluminum cylinder also.   I have looked at better sheaths but having those matches there has been so darn handy that I would hate to give that up.   The compass has been used a couple of times as well but not for anything really mission critical.   I cannot think of any time that North was determined with that compass where it couldn't have been determined by other means.   It was just a convenience thing.  

There is also about 20 feet of parachute cord wound up and tucked along side of the sheath.   It is held in place with a couple of elastic bands.    

The knife has held up well.   Typically it is sharp enough to shave with and although I have tried, I have never mastered the ability to really sharpen a knife with the stone on the back of the sheath.   It is nice knowing that I could put a bit of an edge back on the knife if I do serious damage to it but other than emergency repairs the built in stone will probably never be used.      This knife can baton wood but with the taper on the back of the blade you do wear down the branch that you are batonning with fairly quickly.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/415398/IMG_1022_-1537017.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/415398/IMG_1023_-1537018.jpg

2Hut8
View Quote

I have that exact same knife ; it overlooks all other knives in my safe!

I wonder if Gerber will reintroduce the BMF.....
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 10:50:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Pics of most of my fixed blade knives.

From Left to Right:  Cold Steel SRK, Becker Desert Tan BK-10 Crewman, Cold Steel Military Classic R1 (with upper guard removed), Gerber Prodigy (my Gerber LMFII was stolen), Blackjack 125, and ESEE-3.  Missing:  Katz 303 and ESEE-4.  My Sig M11-A1 is above them.

Link Posted: 8/19/2020 1:32:30 PM EDT
[#14]
My first two choices:

Gossman UNK in 3v

Its big brother the CFK (also 3v)

Both are strong as hell and will take (and keep) a razor edge. The Warrenclif style blade isnt the best for making holes (al la bowdrill) but working around horses, mules and cattle its quick into action with much less worry of stabbing an animal. Something as simple as a pack animal getting a lead rope wrapped around their leg can turn into a major wreck in the blink of an eye if you cant cut them free.
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 5:56:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Keep the pictures coming!
Link Posted: 8/28/2020 4:40:52 AM EDT
[#16]
The Woodsman survival knife:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 3:49:25 PM EDT
[#17]
TOPS Fieldcraft by Brothers of Bushcraft (BOB)
This one looks new because it is. Just picked it up last week in anticipation of a bushcraft weekend with friends.
I'm going to replace the sheath with something more versatile when time permits.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 12:47:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 1:26:07 PM EDT
[#19]
This is the rig I have been using since Hurricane Laura made landfall. I have cut everything from copper wire to tomato’s to make a sandwich over the last 20 something days. This little knife has proven itself.

Survive!Knives GSO 2.7
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 1:32:23 PM EDT
[#20]

Just a city slicker, but there they are!

Chris
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 5:16:59 PM EDT
[#21]
" />

It’s not much but have seen em going for 15k on ebay
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 5:53:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Bernie Garland Recurve blade blank (O1) I finished with G10 liners & rosewood in a molded veg. tanned sheath I hot waxed.

Link Posted: 9/27/2020 8:52:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 11:54:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Have you checked out the Junglas II? I personally have trouble deciding which I like better, the BK-9, Junglas II, or the TOPS Tahoma. If I had gotten the Tahoma without the sharpened top edge it would probably be my favorite. Unfortunately that model came out after I got mine. I would like to point out that it seems most knife review videos of knives in the 6"-7" range always get compared to the ESEE 6. To me that is statement in itself that it is a solid choice and seemingly a benchmark for judging other knives.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 11:56:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 7:54:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Been carrying a Mora Bushcraft for the past year. Decided to switch it up so now the PR4 is in rotation.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 9:46:03 PM EDT
[#27]
I like it.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 1:16:02 AM EDT
[#28]
Likewise... although someone looks like they're going to lose a thumb in the second picture
My Junglas has served me well
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/17/2020 7:32:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
TOPS Fieldcraft by Brothers of Bushcraft (BOB)
This one looks new because it is. Just picked it up last week in anticipation of a bushcraft weekend with friends.
I'm going to replace the sheath with something more versatile when time permits.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/15109/TOPS_BOB_jpg-1593044.JPG
View Quote
I just picked on of these up.  

I really like the way it feels in my hand.  I'm looking forward to doing some playing with it.

I will need a new sheath as a left hander.
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 3:12:02 AM EDT
[#30]
Gossman makes the best survival knives out there. They're hard to find but worth it.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 2:57:51 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 11:26:39 AM EDT
[#32]
Modified Ontario Air Force Survival knife:
Attachment Attached File

Condor Bushlore an a Camilis which isn't much to look at but handles really well:
Attachment Attached File

Plenty of Buck knives:
Attachment Attached File

Tool box full:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 9:33:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 10:25:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Make and model
Thanks!

View Quote
TOPS "BOB" FIELDCRAFT.
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 10:00:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 9:45:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
TOPS "BOB" FIELDCRAFT.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Make and model
Thanks!

TOPS "BOB" FIELDCRAFT.

Thanks!

Link Posted: 11/26/2020 10:55:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Habilus bushtool here.
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 11:00:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 12:59:52 AM EDT
[#39]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top