Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2022 5:35:52 PM EDT
I know we have beat this horse to death, but I have a question and I bet i'm not the only one. I currently have a Coleman 5000 running 6500 surge that is my main source of backup power. I have had it for years and it still starts first pull and runs like a top. I would like to add a small/smaller inverter to the stable to handle overnight loads that do not require the big gas drinking gen. I have read multiple threads here and even started a couple about the topic. But here is my question....I love champion, Honda, and Yamaha, but what is the deal with Westinghouse, pulsar, ect...are they coming out of the same factory? there seems to be tons of brands and models with almost exactly the same specs, but varying prices. If you are not concerned with dual fuel,  what is the ARF go to for small inverters currently?

Thanks,
 Jake
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 5:48:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Read the big thread Here
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 5:51:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I’ve had both the Predator 2k and a WEN 2k. I used the Predator to survive the winter storm and it never bobbled. I gave it to my in laws after I bought a Predator 3.5k and then I picked up the Wen when Woot had a deal. 3.5k was converted to dual fuel for longer outages while the 2k is easy to pull out in just a couple of minutes.

Having two is a smart play no matter the brand. I’d wager, the pros will come along and say it’s all about your expected usage and personal risk level.

For me, I feel comfortable with the generators I have.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 6:31:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I got rid of my hondas and went to (2) Wen DFI400 duel fuel gennys.  Couldn’t be happier
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 7:19:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought the Westinghouse Igen2200 when Sam's first started carrying it, for $319.  Was kind of a no-brainer for the price.

Put about 20 hours on it.  So far, so good.  Quiet, efficient, easy to use - everything an inverter-generator needs to do.  It's $429 now - I'd be less-inclined at that price.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 8:00:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Pretty sure the only ones not using Honda clone Chinese made engines are the Honda branded ones.
I have a HFT 3500 with 375ish hours.
Just picked up the WEN 3800 for 599, i considered a 2000 of some sort but really the only advantage is weight and i don't plan to carry them anywhere. So i went with the 3800. And it parallels with the hft for over 7kw if I'm charging my tesla and running the A/C?

Check out "Gavins garage" on youtube, that guy has almost all the current invertor generators available.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 9:03:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Gavin is the man
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 7:25:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 7:50:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
. . .That said, I can't tell you who makes the best or second best anymore.  Better I think these days is who can you get parts for and has local support. Rubber wears out and filters get clogged.  

Tj
View Quote
This is why I went with Champion. Solid reputation for quality/reliability, they have US based support, and from everything I've heard, parts are easy to come by.
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 12:05:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Bought a used Honda EU2000IS years ago and have used it for multiple hurricanes, and it now sits on the bumper of our travel trailer next to a 6-gallon tank and extended run hose & cap.  About once a month it is used while camping and runs continuously if the AC is needed for 3-4 days.  About every other day it is shut down to add fuel to the large tank and check the oil.  Also watched for good deals and bought a Honda EU2200IS gen as backup when camping (two is one...) at dog shows and field trials, Also, bought a Honda EU3000IS (second hand but NIB) to run larger loads during hurricanes as a backup to the old reliable Briggs & Stratton StormResponder 8250/5500 LOUD generator, that I probably bought after Hurricane Katrina for a second building, but sucks gas like a black hole.  Been waiting for the old B&S to die, but it just keeps starting when needed.

There are Honda repair places everywhere, and parts are plentiful, even on eBay and Amazon.  I've had Hondas since Hurricane Andrew, and while I've considered the newer inverter generator brands, it's hard to leave something that has been so reliable and well supported.  The big downside is the initial cost for the Hondas, and if starting out new, I'd probably consider the Champion or Predator.

By the way, before I put a soft-start on the RV AC, I had the Honda 3000 on the travel trailer bumper.  The bumper weld broke on one side and the generator was dragged down the interstate on its side for a mile or two on one corner until someone could flag down my wife to stop.  Most of the damage was to the platform it was mounted on, but one corner and the access door were ground down a bit, and the oil evidently flowed back into the carb.  A little metal repair, spray paint, oil change and carb cleaning, and it runs as well as before.  RV bumpers are crap - the generator full of fuel and the platform probably weighed 175 lbs.  I'd recommend adding Mount-N-Lock Safetystruts if you carry anything more than the spare tire on your RV bumper.
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 6:11:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Depending on your power needs and budget, every now and again, you can find the Pulsar 2300 inverter on sale for less than $300. It has 1800 watts running, with 2300 watts surge. It sips fuel, with a gallon of gas lasting about 7-10 hours depending on load. If you need something a bit more powerful, Wen sells the GN400i on their site for less than $400, with free shipping. It's rated at 3500 watts running and 4000 surge watts. It has a two gallon tank that lasts about the same. Amazing deal on a very nice inverter.
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 8:28:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks guys.....the responses are pretty much what I had figured....looks like the fuel burn between the 2500w and 4500w aren't really that different (at least with the champion). I'm looking at the champion 4500 dual fuel, which is a little bigger than I was planning, but seems to be a good value as far as dollar/watt and fuel burn.

Jake
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top