BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 9:25:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If true, that's a price that blows everybody out of the water! The price I saw listed at a dealership listing them online (I just googled it) was $205 for the extinguisher and $39 for the mounting bracket.

My "painted green" remark was a tongue-in-cheek remark about JD's habit of taking commercial items,  painting/marking/licensing them, marking them up, and selling them as if they're something special.
View Quote

That's more in line with typical pricing.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 12:03:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View Quote

What's more in line? $60 or $205?

Amerex 240 PW can on Amazon is $112 shipped
Range I saw from various suppliers in a quick Google search is $100-150 except a few outliers that were quite high.

If you really can get an Amerex 240 for $60 at a JD dealership then I would be shocked (and I'll be eating crow), and that would be considered blowing everyone else out of the water on price.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 12:55:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would expect JD to be selling it for $205, if not $300.

Hopefully it will let you fill it without a service tech coming out and plugging in their laptop.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 12:58:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I would expect JD to be selling it for $205, if not $300.

Hopefully it will let you fill it without a service tech coming out and plugging in their laptop.
View Quote

Lol! I hear ya!

I get the joke, but if there are any doubts, Amerex has a UL listing on that extinguisher. If JD were to modify it in any way it may void the listing. Which is likely why they didn't paint it green and put a decal on it.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 9:56:35 AM EDT
[#5]
I probably bought mine 12 or more years ago, but they generally put them on sale during hay season.  I see you can buy them for 100 or so on amazon, I imagine that's a competitive price.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 6:59:23 PM EDT
[#6]
I used the old stainless steel large model. You fill it with water and use the schrader to fill it with compressed air until the gauge needle is in the green.

Side project: chopped the fire nozzle and put an adjustable water nozzle and shutoff valve. Used it for gypsy moth infestation adding some insecticide. It would spray about 20 feet or so.

The bad: If you are using the hell out of it, it may develop a slight air leak and leak down over time.

Use them for the shop to put out a welding fire or lawnmower issue. Keep factory fresh ones for emergency use.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 7:49:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I used the old stainless steel large model. You fill it with water and use the schrader to fill it with compressed air until the gauge needle is in the green.

Side project: chopped the fire nozzle and put an adjustable water nozzle and shutoff valve. Used it for gypsy moth infestation adding some insecticide. It would spray about 20 feet or so.

The bad: If you are using the hell out of it, it may develop a slight air leak and leak down over time.

Use them for the shop to put out a welding fire or lawnmower issue. Keep factory fresh ones for emergency use.
View Quote

Yes, they have replaceable valve stems and O-rings around the valve to correct the leaking. The valve O-ring should be lubricated with silicone if it's exchanged much.

Please do the world a favor and clearly mark that one as condemned and not for regular use if you used it for insecticide.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 10:22:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yes, they have replaceable valve stems and O-rings around the valve to correct the leaking. The valve O-ring should be lubricated with silicone if it's exchanged much.

Please do the world a favor and clearly mark that one as condemned and not for regular use if you used it for insecticide.
View Quote

Yup, if you can disassemble a firearm you can replace seals, gauge, etc on a PW can extinguisher. They're straight forward and the parts are all available online.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 12:22:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Along similar vein, I was thinking one could make a halfway decent flamethrower with a modified refillable fire extinguisher....

How to Build a Mini Flamethrower! TKOR Makes The Best DIY Flamethrower Using A Fire Extinguisher!

If I'm ever in an arctic research station and things get weird, I'm hoping they have a water based fire extinguisher and some gas.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 11:38:15 AM EDT
[#10]
This thread is handy. I have had a brush fire and a stove fire managed to put out both but the brush fire damn near got away. I was lucky I had 200 feet of hose and a shovel handy along with help.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top