Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/30/2020 9:20:22 PM EDT
I remember reading about fire extinguishers that would run with water and compressed air. I know they aren’t perfect for everything but we do wood fires in the yard often and it would be nice to not need the hose.

Also my son (5) loves all things firefighting so this may be good practice with an extinguisher.

Is rheee anything in the ~$100 range that’s worth looking into?
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 9:38:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I have one of these...

https://firefreeze.com/cold-fire/
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 9:47:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Is rheee anything in the ~$100 range that’s worth looking into?
View Quote

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/buckeye-2-5-gallon-water-class-a-fire-extinguisher-rechargeable-untagged-ul-rating-2-a/47250000.html

Be aware that water extinguishers hold 2 1/2 gallons of water, so are big and heavy. Wish they'd make some smaller ones.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 10:47:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Also my son (5) loves all things firefighting so this may be good practice with an extinguisher.

View Quote

Definitely worth it for teaching him firefighting skills!  

Don't tell him that when he first hits it he may spread the fire around due to the pressure if he is too close.  

Let his heart race when he sees it then use that as a teaching moment.

Quoted:

Be aware that water extinguishers hold 2 1/2 gallons of water, so are big and heavy.
View Quote

A bit heavy, yes.  But 2.5 gallons is not a lot of water for fires.

I keep one in the back of the garage for outdoor usage.  

I keep an ABC for use in the garage.

Bill
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 10:56:05 PM EDT
[#4]
See if you have a fire extinguisher service place in your town.  They often have used units or ones that have a dent or something and can't be used in a commercial application.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 10:59:26 PM EDT
[#5]
There are some used ones on SleazyBay, but WATCH the shipping charges!  

One is listed for $39.00 with $101.00 Shipping!  [BUYER BEWARE!]

Check Craigslist also.  I see a bunch in my AO.

Bill

ETA: My AO $60.00 Each
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 11:08:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
See if you have a fire extinguisher service place in your town.  They often have used units or ones that have a dent or something and can't be used in a commercial application.
View Quote

Great idea!  

A) Ask if they have one cheap just to teach your kid.

B) Their dumpster may be a great option if A does not work.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 11:17:34 PM EDT
[#7]
I can't find the thread but we have had several on both extinguishers and water extinguishers and after getting input I bought the ANSUL. There were two main brands and I forget the other. Mine was under $150 on Amazon.
MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

Link Posted: 12/30/2020 11:19:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I can't find the thread but we have had several on both extinguishers and water extinguishers and after getting input I bought the ANSUL. There were two main brands and I forget the other. Mine was under $150 on Amazon.
www.amazon.com/dp/B07RSLLH6C
View Quote

Ansul is good. Amerex is the most common, the Buckeye that I linked to appears to be OEM'd by Amerex.

Newer Badger water extinguishers have deleted the air valve so require a special adapter to pressurize.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 11:27:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Newer Badger water extinguishers have deleted the air valve so require a special adapter to pressurize.
View Quote

Good to know!  Do not buy that one!

I have a standard Schrader Valve on mine.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 11:37:56 PM EDT
[#10]
I am NOT SURE about the Badger refill procedures but some newer 2 1/2 gallon pressurized water fire extinguisher manufacturers have gotten away from the air chuck fitting and use a modified nozzle on the hose that fits a tire fill fitting - you just pressurize the hose, depress the valve handle and release the valve handle when the desired pressure is obtained.
They are great to have around for "ordinary combustible" material fires (gasoline and energized electrical equipment NOT SO MUCH).
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 8:21:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Don't forget to add a couple of drops of dish soap to the water.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 8:48:54 AM EDT
[#12]
I've got 2 of the amerex water cans. They are my primary go to in my home even though I also have dry chemical and one big Co2. They're filled with distilled water. I would much rather use one of them over dry chemical for anything but a grease or oil fire.

There's a reason actual firefighters use them. Videos on youtube showing how big of a fire they will knock down if used properly.

Water Extinguisher Controls Room Fire

Link Posted: 12/31/2020 10:24:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

There's a reason actual firefighters use them. Videos on youtube showing how big of a fire they will knock down if used properly.

View Quote

Shed sized fire with an open door!  Very cool.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 10:53:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Years ago my wife was mowing the lawn and the lawn mower caught fire.   I was looking at her when the fire started and was trying to stomp it out within seconds of it starting.  It was a matter of minutes before the most of the yard was on fire and it was spreading rapidly.   We had a lot of water available to fight the fire but we didn’t have an efficient way to spread that water on the fire.  We were using buckets from the pool and the fire started about 200 feet from the house so we didn’t have a hose that would reach.  We probably put 150 gallons of water on the fire before the fire department got there and got things under control.      

In hindsight, a simple sprayer and the ability to refill it would have almost certainly put the fire out with less than ten gallons if we had employed it in the first ten minutes of the fire.    I now own several of the 2.5 gallon water fire extinguishers and have spent a bit of time practicing with them.   Pro-tip:   Don’t put too much water in them when you fill them.   If you do then you will not have sufficient compressed-air volume to propel the water when you need to use it.  

So if you want to fight a wood/grass fire or teach firefighting on a budget than a simple sprayer might be more useful than a dedicated fire extinguisher.   It would be more effective than the water based fire extinguishers that I now own on a grass fire.    

2HUT8

Edited to add:   We deployed several ABC fire extinguishers on the fire.   It slowed it down but we didn’t have enough of them to get it under control.

Link Posted: 12/31/2020 11:25:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I've got 2 of the amerex water cans. They are my primary go to in my home even though I also have dry chemical and one big Co2. They're filled with distilled water. I would much rather use one of them over dry chemical for anything but a grease or oil fire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITiZR39Sfeg
View Quote

That’s pretty impressive
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 12:31:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Amerex or Ansul as posted above, probably others.  Also see the video posted above for how effective these water cans can be.

I have some experience using these and I'd pick them over any other agent (dry chemical or CO2).  Not too many reasons to attack a fire in energized electrical equipment and you'll seldom see a fire involving pools of hydrocarbons.

The water can may be refilled and returned to service by the user assuming access to an air compressor.  A drop of dish soap added before you put the valve back in will improve the effectiveness on typical Class A fires.

You can get a quick jump on grass and brush fires with these and I have 2 of them in the garage.  Just keep them out of freezing weather.

Edit to add:  Dry Chem will make a bigger mess and ruin more stuff than the fire, in may cases.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 1:31:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/buckeye-2-5-gallon-water-class-a-fire-extinguisher-rechargeable-untagged-ul-rating-2-a/47250000.html

Be aware that water extinguishers hold 2 1/2 gallons of water, so are big and heavy. Wish they'd make some smaller ones.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

They do! There are 1.75 gal (and 2.5 gal) water mist extinguishers. They are blue and white, made by Amerex.

2-1/2 gallon water extinguishers can be had cheap on marketplace etc and are easily repaired if needed. I bought 20 of them from my local university surplus store for $15 each.

I bought several (5 I think) 2-1/2 gallon water mist extinguishers on ebay for under $40. A water mist extinguisher is also rated for electrical fires when charged with deionized water and nitrogen bc the water cannot conduct electricity and the mist, in theory, is only broken droplets so no direct conduction path.

Honestly, having both, I much prefer the mist extinguishers. The spread of the stream through the mist nozzle is much more effective!

ETA, the blue/white Amerex water mist extinguishers require a special fill adapter. I made my own on the lathe and used a refrigerant line set nut to attach it.

Quoted:
 Not too many reasons to attack a fire in energized electrical equipment and you'll seldom see a fire involving pools of hydrocarbons.

It's true there is little reason to attack an electrical fire that is still energized but still a good idea to use dual rated extinguishers for other fires near electricity for incidental electrical contact. I highly recommend the A/C mist extinguishers for inside a structure. They have more spread and empty more slowly, and they will protect from incidental electrical contact. That's what I keep in the home (so my wife doesn't have to know not to spray it on live electrical), and I have the PW cans further back in the closet so she doesn't grab those first.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 2:32:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

It's true there is little reason to attack an electrical fire that is still energized but still a good idea to use dual rated extinguishers for other fires near electricity for incidental electrical contact. I highly recommend the A/C mist extinguishers for inside a structure. They have more spread and empty more slowly, and they will protect from incidental electrical contact. That's what I keep in the home (so my wife doesn't have to know not to spray it on live electrical), and I have the PW cans further back in the closet so she doesn't grab those first.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
 Not too many reasons to attack a fire in energized electrical equipment and you'll seldom see a fire involving pools of hydrocarbons.

Risk appears to be low with for electrical:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/outdoors/Fire_extinguishers/17-669015/#i11435734
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 2:48:14 PM EDT
[#19]
My firefighter son turned me on to water based extinguishers a while back.  For ordinary fires, they are considerably more effective then dry chemical.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 3:04:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
They do! There are 1.75 gal (and 2.5 gal) water mist extinguishers. They are blue and white, made by Amerex.

2-1/2 gallon water extinguishers can be had cheap on marketplace etc and are easily repaired if needed. I bought 20 of them from my local university surplus store for $15 each.

I bought several (5 I think) 2-1/2 gallon water mist extinguishers on ebay for under $40. A water mist extinguisher is also rated for electrical fires when charged with deionized water and nitrogen bc the water cannot conduct electricity and the mist, in theory, is only broken droplets so no direct conduction path.

Honestly, having both, I much prefer the mist extinguishers. The spread of the stream through the mist nozzle is much more effective!
View Quote

I like them, but I wish there were smaller versions. And the nozzle spray pattern is pretty short range.

I really want a water extinguisher with a discharge pattern like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=228&v=D0ZqpBm-XJU&feature=youtu.be
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 3:05:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Amazing how much plastic is on those tractors!  You can see it has all disappeared!

What caused the fire?  No exhaust spark arrester?

Bill
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 3:38:22 PM EDT
[#22]
View Quote

Yes, risk of death from electrical shock through a water stream in a normal household is near zero. But that doesn't mean there are no risks. For one, an electrical "tingle" can be very frightening, compounding an already frightening situation. If my wife got a tingle while spraying a small, controllable fire she would stop and run, leaving the fire to grow.

Either way, the Class C rating isn't the only reason to love a mist extinguisher. I do controlled burns on grassland. The mist extinguishers last longer and are way more effective when walking down a line of fire to stop it from progressing outside of the control area. It's so effective that I've looked into converting my water cans to mist, unfortunately nobody makes an aftermarket nozzle so I would have to replace the entire valve and hose on my Amerex cans to do it.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 3:48:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Yes, risk of death from electrical shock through a water stream in a normal household is near zero. But that doesn't mean there are no risks. For one, an electrical "tingle" can be very frightening, compounding an already frightening situation.

Either way, the Class C rating isn't the only reason to love a mist extinguisher. I do controlled burns on grassland. The mist extinguishers last longer and are way more effective when walking down a line of fire to stop it from progressing outside of the control area. It's so effective that I've looked into converting my water cans to mist, unfortunately nobody makes an aftermarket nozzle so I would have to replace the entire valve and hose on my Amerex cans to do it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yes, risk of death from electrical shock through a water stream in a normal household is near zero. But that doesn't mean there are no risks. For one, an electrical "tingle" can be very frightening, compounding an already frightening situation.

I've looked into putting mist or spray nozzles on a couple.

Hard to find someone that can put a proper crimped on threaded connector on the hose. I can get fittings for hydraulic lines put on but they're big and heavy.

I have a hose I scavenged from a K class extinguisher that I've played around with a little.

You can get the exact spray nozzle that Amerex uses, the part number is stamped on the nozzle. To buy it as a part from the manufacturer is very expensive though, they're like $50 or something. I thought about getting a couple, along with a narrower angle spray nozzle to try, but the cost was off-putting.  Hard to find suitable nozzles, a lot easier to find flat spray or hollow cone pattern nozzles.

ETA: spray.com FullJet 1/4HHX-14.5 is what's on the Amerex 2 1/2 gallon water mist unit I have.
spray.com FullJet 1/4HHX-10 is on the Amerex 1.75 gallon water mist.

I was going to buy a couple of the narrowest spray pattern nozzles at spray.com, which I think are 15 degrees, but they were just too expensive.

ETA2:
Quoted:

I want some in the 1/2 gallon and 1 gallon range. If they can get a 2A rating on a 1.75 gallon mist extinguisher, I'd think they could make 1A with one about half that size, something small enough for homes.

I'd buy some of these but they won't ship them and I can't figure out how to get them to the US.
https://www.safelincs.co.uk/1-litre-water-mist-fire-extinguisher-ultrafire/
https://www.safelincs.co.uk/3-litre-water-mist-fire-extinguisher-ultrafire/
I'd really like a longer range/different discharge pattern, I think that would require a nozzle that mixes water and gas. I wish I could find some more info on the extinguisher that was made for the ISS, how they did the nozzle for it.

ETA3:
Quoted:
www.amazon.com/dp/B07RSLLH6C

Couple of links with lots more links to old threads...
https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/Tips-or-recommendations-on-fire-extinguishers-/5-2376502/
https://www.ar15.com/forums/Outdoors/-ARCHIVED-THREAD-Fire-Extinguishers-Recommendations/18-695361/?page=1
The Ansul has a metal base, the Amerex and Buckeye have a plastic cap on the base. If it's sitting on the floor in your home, the plastic base is nice. If it's bashing around on an ATV, or being used outdoors on gravel or something, the plastic bases will often break.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 9:21:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Amazing how much plastic is on those tractors!  You can see it has all disappeared!

What caused the fire?  No exhaust spark arrester?

Bill
View Quote

We don’t know what started it.   She was mowing along and I was in the house.   I heard a loud “pop” and the lawn mower died.   I turned around and looked out the sliding glass door in time to see the wife baling off the mower with flames coming out from under/below  the engine.   I made a run for the mower as she made a run for the house.  As we passed each other she yelled “What do i do?”   I told her to call the 911.   She was surprised at that but after she saw how quickly the fire spread despite our efforts to contain it she now has a lot more respect for fire.   The fire department showed up with the wrong truck and couldn’t reach the fire with a hose so they stood around and waited for the brush truck while we still worked to contain it as best as we could.   In the meantime everyone was ignoring the lawn mower which was fully engulfed in flames with a full tank of gas.   The brush truck arrived and it made very short work of the fire grass fire.   They had to refill the brush truck once from the other truck    Once the grass was out they turned their attention on the lawn mower.   When they hit it with a hose it blasted dozens of little metal parts that were now loose because the plastic was melted away all over the yard.   That was fun cleaning that up.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 1:54:18 AM EDT
[#25]
Waterman can extinguish a large amount of fire, especially in an enclosed space. Water converts to steam at 1700 times the volume slithering the fire. Not as effective in an open space fire but still effective. I have a couple in my house upstairs closet. Quick to deploy and mobile.

Off topic but no one should sleep with their bedroom door open.
Shut your door

Close Before You Doze Demonstration Event
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 4:26:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Cold fire use a powder mix that you add water to then compress with a air compressor.  They work well.  The liquid smells a bit like douche or something though, odd vinegar smell but it really works awesome.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 9:36:39 AM EDT
[#27]
There appears to be something called Novacool, that mixes into Water Extinguishers to turn it into a 'foam extinguisher' reportedly rated for A,B,D, & K fires.

Says you mix 2oz into a 2.5g water can:

https://www.swfirefightingfoam.com/

Here it is putting out a gallon of E85 gasoline:

Tulsa Novacool vs 3% AR-AFFF

And vs straight water:

Does anyone have any experience with this? Worth adding vs straight water?
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 10:55:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Remember this:

When you pull a fire extinguisher, call 911 first, get the professionals with the big equipment moving; then go fight the fire.  

Same with an AED (automated external defibrillator), call 911, get help moving to you.

Also check with your local fire department they may have older equipment they can not use.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 1:57:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
There appears to be something called Novacool, that mixes into Water Extinguishers to turn it into a 'foam extinguisher' reportedly rated for A,B,D, & K fires.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Apog_hJa_C8

And vs straight water:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUC8X4HrbfE

View Quote

I’ve never dealt with agents added to water cans but they can be amazing in other applications. The main reason I bought a water can is so I don’t have to worry about chemicals or cleanup. It will probably get used more as a water gun than a extinguisher.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 11:29:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I’ve never dealt with agents added to water cans but they can be amazing in other applications. The main reason I bought a water can is so I don’t have to worry about chemicals or cleanup. It will probably get used more as a water gun than a extinguisher.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Apog_hJa_C8

And vs straight water:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUC8X4HrbfE

Would the foaming agent make the watercan safe to use on a grease / oil fire in the kitchen? Or would that still have the same disasterous effect as pouring regular water on it?

Thats my main interest in the added foam.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 11:38:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Would the foaming agent make the watercan safe to use on a grease / oil fire in the kitchen? Or would that still have the same disasterous effect as pouring regular water on it?

View Quote

The stream from a water can would take not only the fire but the pot/pan right off the top of the stove in a kitchen grease fire. It's a narrow stream of water at 100psi. You need something a lot smaller for a kitchen grease fire.

I suggest either the Kidde special kitchen extinguisher, which is a low-pressure sodium bicarbonate agent, or a small size "clean agent" extinguisher like Ansul Clean Guard. Or just the "Tundra" non-rated aerosol can types.

The euro watermist extinguishers would work on a grease fire, because they use a very small droplet size that vaporizes in the fire, but the big US water mist extinguishers use larger size droplets.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 11:42:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

That is HIGHLY dependent on the foaming agent and the specific extinguisher you have. Amerex makes 2.5 gal foam extinguishers based on a PW (pressurized water) extinguisher with an air induction foam nozzle. This type of nozzle ONLY works with specific agents. To be safely used on liquid fires the agent must create a foam so it will float on top of the oil. The exception to that is specific non-water extinguisher charges such as those found in K-type (kitchen fryer) extinguishers and Purple K etc.

In regards to Novacool I have no experience but I have a similar product called Pyrocool. I think Novacool (from watching the videos) performs better in handhelds but it's hard to tell what type of handheld they're using in the videos. I am currently working on developing a handheld CAFS extinguisher that would rival a PW can in cost. Handheld CAFS extinguishers exist (3 different manufacturers that I am aware of) but they all operate on the same principle and they cost $2,000+ for a handheld extinguisher. Pyrocool sent me a sample for developmental purposes. My development has been stalled by other priorities...maybe this time next year I'll be a millionaire? Lol...

Quoted:

The stream from a water can would take not only the fire but the pot/pan right off the top of the stove in a kitchen grease fire. It's a  stream of water at 100psi. You need something a lot smaller for a kitchen grease fire.

Generally true, but you can also change the stream pattern as easily as putting a finger over the nozzle like a garden hose. I'm not saying that would make it suitable for a grease fire, just saying that the output doesn't have to be a stream at 100 psi.

Quoted:
The euro watermist extinguishers would work on a grease fire, because they use a very small droplet size that vaporizes in the fire, but the big US water mist extinguishers use larger size droplets.

Also consider the effects of the various agents through a mist nozzle. Something as simple as adding a foaming agent may dramatically change the droplet size of a US mist extinguisher. But that is something that would take experimentation and acceptance that the results may not be as expected and you're on your own if you try to fight fires with alternative means.

K-type extinguishers are common enough that if a grease fire is a concern you should just get a K-type.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 12:21:19 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
K-type extinguishers are common enough that if a grease fire is a concern you should just get a K-type.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Which is what the "First Alert Tundra" is that I mentioned before, a small unrated K class.

Unless you have a restaurant-size deep fat fryer in your kitchen, you don't need a 6 liter size K rated kitchen extinguisher.

Quoted:
Quoted:
The stream from a water can would take not only the fire but the pot/pan right off the top of the stove in a kitchen grease fire. It's a  stream of water at 100psi. You need something a lot smaller for a kitchen grease fire.

Generally true, but you can also change the stream pattern as easily as putting a finger over the nozzle like a garden hose. I'm not saying that would make it suitable for a grease fire, just saying that the output doesn't have to be a stream at 100 psi.

Yes, they do that in all the fireman water can videos.

You don't want to do that without fireman gloves on however.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 10:13:54 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Which is what the "First Alert Tundra" is that I mentioned before, a small unrated K class.

Unless you have a restaurant-size deep fat fryer in your kitchen, you don't need a 6 liter size K rated kitchen extinguisher.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Right, I was supporting your proposition to get a K-type. The small Tundra is a good option for a residential kitchen grease fire. And while it's true that most residential kitchen fires don't NEED a full 6L K-type it doesn't hurt to have one. Whichever way OP decides to go (big or small) it's just not worth trying to invent a new way to fight a grease fire when both large and small K-types are available.

Quoted:
Yes, they do that in all the fireman water can videos.

You don't want to do that without fireman gloves on however.

Just curious but why not?
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 11:40:37 AM EDT
[#35]
goodness gracious fire extinguishers are really a rabbit hole!
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 12:09:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Years ago my wife was mowing the lawn and the lawn mower caught fire.   I was looking at her when the fire started and was trying to stomp it out within seconds of it starting.  It was a matter of minutes before the most of the yard was on fire and it was spreading rapidly.   We had a lot of water available to fight the fire but we didn’t have an efficient way to spread that water on the fire.  We were using buckets from the pool and the fire started about 200 feet from the house so we didn’t have a hose that would reach.  We probably put 150 gallons of water on the fire before the fire department got there and got things under control.      

In hindsight, a simple sprayer and the ability to refill it would have almost certainly put the fire out with less than ten gallons if we had employed it in the first ten minutes of the fire.    I now own several of the 2.5 gallon water fire extinguishers and have spent a bit of time practicing with them.   Pro-tip:   Don’t put too much water in them when you fill them.   If you do then you will not have sufficient compressed-air volume to propel the water when you need to use it.  

So if you want to fight a wood/grass fire or teach firefighting on a budget than a simple sprayer might be more useful than a dedicated fire extinguisher.   It would be more effective than the water based fire extinguishers that I now own on a grass fire.    

2HUT8

Edited to add:   We deployed several ABC fire extinguishers on the fire.   It slowed it down but we didn’t have enough of them to get it under control.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/415398/IMG_0048_JPG-977858.jpg
View Quote

If you are a ways from your local fire department or worried about response times you could easily set up your own fire fighting setup since you have a readily available source of water- your pool.  The small FOB I was on in Iraq did not have a fire fighting truck, all we had was a truckload of fire extinguishers.  Give the typical wiring of the buildings and the average GI's desire to plug everything at once into a Chinese made/Hadji sold power strip, we had a couple of fires.  I had a firefighter friend send over a couple of their older, smaller diameter hoses* and a standard, inexpensive adjustable nozzle.  The welder made a rack for these on the back of the non-potable water truck and they could be quick connected to the water pump on the back and put into use for fire fighting.  Not as good as a true fire fighting pump, but it worked well enough when we needed it to.  

*I can't remember exactly which size at the moment, I want to say 1" or 1 1/2", but I told him the GPM on the truck's pump and he sent the hoses based on that.  

When I worked in Australia, it was common for the folks who lived outside the cities to have their own firefighting equipment.  Typically you landscape around the house to remove any combustibles (xeric landscaping), you have a low brick or stone wall surrounding the place to limit ground travel of fire, a rooftop sprinkler/sprayer/deluge system was often in place and they had a water supply (usually a tank, often buried) with a water pump connected to a propane tank so that it didn't rely on electricity.  These setups are commonly mandated over there and would probably save a lot of houses in California but those arrogant douchebags don't want to mess with their views or landscaping.  
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 1:10:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Came across this setup:

It's a 5 gallon backpack unit, activated by a hand pump, similar to those squirt guns used at the swimming pool, where racking the pump backwards causes the water to shoot out.

They're apparently been used as firefighting equipment for nearly 100 years:

With the failure of the Vemorel Pump as a desirable fire fighting tool, in early 1926, District Ranger Ernest Blue, headquartered at Cold Brook, approached the D B Smith Co of Utica NY, a manufacturers of agricultural sprayers since 1888. The collaboration between Blue and D B Smith resulted in making minor modifications to one of their existing products, resulted in an effective pump for combating forest fires. Known as the Smith Indian Fire Pump, after rigorous testing, the Conservation Commission purchased six hundred units with federal grant monies for the Clark-McNary Act. Subsequently, four years later the now Conservation Department would have 2000 Smith Indian Fire Pumps on hand.

In our circle, we look upon District Ranger Ernest Blue as "The Father of the Indian Fire Pump."

http://nysforestrangers.com/1928-circa-smith%20ad-5&7%20gal-411A.jpg

Seems like this would be attractive for a long term SHTF / Wildfire season, as it requires no pressurization, and can be rapidly reloaded. Just dump water in it and pump.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 12:52:26 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
goodness gracious fire extinguishers are really a rabbit hole!
View Quote

Prevention is better.  And like weapons, simple is better.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 12:57:02 AM EDT
[#39]

One thing that stood out in this video is that he suggested using a bit less water in the extinguisher so that you could have a larger volume of compressed air, presumably to maintain a useful pressure all the way through.

Anyone know what the idea quantity of water is? IE 2 gallons instead of 2.5, so that you could have +0.5gallons extra 100psi air?
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 1:27:35 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Came across this setup:

https://www.nationalfirefighter.com/resize/Shared/Images/Product/Indian-Fire-Pump/IND17901_web.jpg?bw=1000&w=1000&bh=1000&h=1000

It's a 5 gallon backpack unit, activated by a hand pump, similar to those squirt guns used at the swimming pool, where racking the pump backwards causes the water to shoot out.

They're apparently been used as firefighting equipment for nearly 100 years:

With the failure of the Vemorel Pump as a desirable fire fighting tool, in early 1926, District Ranger Ernest Blue, headquartered at Cold Brook, approached the D B Smith Co of Utica NY, a manufacturers of agricultural sprayers since 1888. The collaboration between Blue and D B Smith resulted in making minor modifications to one of their existing products, resulted in an effective pump for combating forest fires. Known as the Smith Indian Fire Pump, after rigorous testing, the Conservation Commission purchased six hundred units with federal grant monies for the Clark-McNary Act. Subsequently, four years later the now Conservation Department would have 2000 Smith Indian Fire Pumps on hand.

In our circle, we look upon District Ranger Ernest Blue as "The Father of the Indian Fire Pump."

http://nysforestrangers.com/1928-circa-smith%20ad-5&7%20gal-411A.jpg

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/v6kAAOSwUV9WnuGO/s-l1600.jpg

Seems like this would be attractive for a long term SHTF / Wildfire season, as it requires no pressurization, and can be rapidly reloaded. Just dump water in it and pump.
View Quote

This setup completely sucks for any moving fire or thick vegetation. I'll take a brush rake and Pulaski any day of the week.

Link Posted: 1/6/2021 1:47:16 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jy9yQvJ6I_k

One thing that stood out in this video is that he suggested using a bit less water in the extinguisher so that you could have a larger volume of compressed air, presumably to maintain a useful pressure all the way through.

Anyone know what the idea quantity of water is? IE 2 gallons instead of 2.5, so that you could have +0.5gallons extra 100psi air?
View Quote

You don't gain much by downloading, when using the full 2.5 gallons it's still spraying out to 20 feet or so. It goes to crap quickly if you get too much water though, if you err, err on the side of less water.

They have a little plastic deal that makes it so that you fill the correct amount as long as it's in place.

The fire dept ones probably get the plastic thing broken or lost so they're just measuring out the quantity of water, and making sure they're on the low side of water level.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 1:49:24 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

I think it depends on your goals. With a full 2.5 gal charge you will still have over 10 ft range at the end of the charge. Usually, if you're beating a fire back with a PW can, as you get toward the end you don't need the extra range.

If you just want to increase pressure/range at the end, reducing by 1/10th or 2/10ths gallon will make a significant change. Keep in mind, a 1/10th gallon decrease in water gives a 20% increase in air charge with less water to expel. A full 1/2 gallon decrease in water will mean a 20% reduction in water to expel and a 100% increase in air charge (way overkill). But for real, don't take my word for it. The wonderful thing about the PW can is you can charge it, spray it, recharge, and go again, all from home. Get one, spray it, did the stream perform to your satisfaction? Adjust liquid volume and go again. My kids love to spray them and we do it often just for fun, best "super soaker" you'll find, haha.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 2:11:20 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
If you just want to increase pressure/range at the end, reducing by 1/10th or 2/10ths gallon will make a significant change.
View Quote

There's about half a gallon of air space, so yes doesn't take much water reduction to make a significant change.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 7:36:31 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I think it depends on your goals. With a full 2.5 gal charge you will still have over 10 ft range at the end of the charge. Usually, if you're beating a fire back with a PW can, as you get toward the end you don't need the extra range.

If you just want to increase pressure/range at the end, reducing by 1/10th or 2/10ths gallon will make a significant change. Keep in mind, a 1/10th gallon decrease in water gives a 20% increase in air charge with less water to expel. A full 1/2 gallon decrease in water will mean a 20% reduction in water to expel and a 100% increase in air charge (way overkill). But for real, don't take my word for it. The wonderful thing about the PW can is you can charge it, spray it, recharge, and go again, all from home. Get one, spray it, did the stream perform to your satisfaction? Adjust liquid volume and go again. My kids love to spray them and we do it often just for fun, best "super soaker" you'll find, haha.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Awesome, thank you. Thats great to hear that a full 0.5g doesnt need to be subtracted; the 1/10th of a gallon sounds promising. -12.8oz for +20% air seems a good tradeoff.

I look forward to snagging one and experimenting.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 11:39:58 PM EDT
[#45]
If you have a john deere dealership near by they carry these fire extinguishers, mine is made by amerex.  Common for hay use equipment,  I keep 2 around the house in the winter, and great to have near a fireplace, 4th of july, wheat harvest etc.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 11:51:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
If you have a john deere dealership near by they carry these fire extinguishers, mine is made by amerex.  Common for hay use equipment,  I keep 2 around the house in the winter, and great to have near a fireplace, 4th of july, wheat harvest etc.
View Quote

LOL, paint anything green and charge twice as much for it and a certain demographic of farmers will buy the shit out of it and smile about how lucky they were to get such a great deal!

The price I saw online for the Amerex extinguisher through JD is almost twice the price of the same Amerex from online extinguisher & fire safety supply dealers...I guess if you're desperate and the JD dealer has the last extinguisher on the planet it's probably a good deal.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 5:10:21 PM EDT
[#47]
I have no idea what they regularly sell for but I think I picked mine up for 60 bucks at dealership, and they aren't painted green.  There are times of the year that they get put on sale, but wouldn't surprise me is their is a cheaper purchase place.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 5:29:09 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I have no idea what they regularly sell for but I think I picked mine up for 60 bucks at dealership, and they aren't painted green.  There are times of the year that they get put on sale, but wouldn't surprise me is their is a cheaper purchase place.
View Quote

If they're $60, I might have to stop at the green shop.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 8:21:01 PM EDT
[#49]
excellent information, thank you professionals.... from personal experience, if you do have to discharge a dry chemical around a group of rescuers, be sure to give them a warning to hold their breath before you hit the lever....
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 9:20:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

If true, that's a price that blows everybody out of the water! The price I saw listed at a dealership listing them online (I just googled it) was $205 for the extinguisher and $39 for the mounting bracket.

My "painted green" remark was a tongue-in-cheek remark about JD's habit of taking commercial items,  painting/marking/licensing them, marking them up, and selling them as if they're something special.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top