Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2012 11:03:48 AM EDT
howdy.  i have lurked on this forum for a while and although I have made modest preparations for dealing with disasters, I have 2 questions that I need help with; namely getting and storing meds for a 72 hour kit.  I keep a fairly good kit in each car, but I have always been concerned about the advil, tylenol, etc that I keep for each kit since in TX it gets a bazillion degrees outside in the summer.  I have asked my wife and kid to bring the baggie of meds in with them to work or school during hot days, but even I can't keep up with that consistently.

anyone else have this concern?  I'm not afraid of any of the other kit stuff (food, water, FAK, etc,) but the pills have a definite storage temp.

second, getting cipro, zpaks, etc for emergencies.  how? (addtional storage temp concern, too.)

thanks, for any insight or pointing in the right direction.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 3:02:31 PM EDT
[#1]
cant say i understand why you would want antibiotics in a 3 day kit to start with. they arent something i would keep in my BOB/3days worth of supplies. as for the OTC stuff, if these are your BOB's why are they staying in the car? what happens if you cant get to your cart due to say a chemical attack in the parking lot or even a crime scene that takes an extended period of time to get cleared up? BOB's should either go in and out with you every day or should live in your office its entire life except with updating items in it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 3:26:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I keep my meds in these http://goinggear.com/camping-hiking/containers-capsules/blue-desert-keep2go-waterproof-capsule-small.html
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 10:56:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I think some legal ABs in a BOB is a GREAT idea!!!

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 7:16:16 AM EDT
[#4]
does anybody really carry their 72 hour bag around with them all day?
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 12:30:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have 2 questions that I need help with; namely getting and storing meds for a 72 hour kit.  I keep a fairly good kit in each car, but I have always been concerned about the advil, tylenol, etc that I keep for each kit since in TX it gets a bazillion degrees outside in the summer.

Can't help you with the second question. On the first one, I simply use my stock up and rotate as it runs low. The only problem I've ever noticed was a change in palatability due to some of the meds getting a plastic-y taste if stored too long.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 2:44:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
howdy.  i have lurked on this forum for a while and although I have made modest preparations for dealing with disasters, I have 2 questions that I need help with; namely getting and storing meds for a 72 hour kit.  I keep a fairly good kit in each car, but I have always been concerned about the advil, tylenol, etc that I keep for each kit since in TX it gets a bazillion degrees outside in the summer.  I have asked my wife and kid to bring the baggie of meds in with them to work or school during hot days, but even I can't keep up with that consistently.

anyone else have this concern?  I'm not afraid of any of the other kit stuff (food, water, FAK, etc,) but the pills have a definite storage temp.

second, getting cipro, zpaks, etc for emergencies.  how? (addtional storage temp concern, too.)

thanks, for any insight or pointing in the right direction.

Not much you can do about the heat other than frequent replacement.

Look here for your ABX question
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_17/633930_Medical_Professionals____What_Is_A_Good_Broad_Spectrum_Antibiotic_.html
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top