Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/27/2011 4:52:25 AM EDT
I have ordered Potassium Iodide from 3 Am*zon.com sponsored sites and one other. All showed "in stock" at the time of ordering. After a few days to a week, I received and out of stock message and in one case the supplier said their stock was damaged.

I ordered again from another place and we will see.

Although I have found and received enough for my immediate family, I haven't been able to get enough yet for my close relatives and friends.

Is this stuff flying off the shelves?

Link Posted: 2/27/2011 5:26:24 AM EDT
[#1]
http://www.nukepills.com/  is where I got ours.  Saw a news story about the company, they have the market locked up. As in direct from the Mfg., they sell to everyone else.
Link Posted: 2/27/2011 5:42:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
http://www.nukepills.com/  is where I got ours.  Saw a news story about the company, they have the market locked up. As in direct from the Mfg., they sell to everyone else.

What I have so far is 6 of the iosat 14 packs.
Link Posted: 2/27/2011 5:50:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Potassium iodate will work too....
Link Posted: 2/27/2011 12:19:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have ordered Potassium Iodide from 3 Am*zon.com sponsored sites and one other. All showed "in stock" at the time of ordering. After a few days to a week, I received and out of stock message and in one case the supplier said their stock was damaged.

Although I have found and received enough for my immediate family, I haven't been able to get enough yet for my close relatives and friends.

amazon.com does that all the time.   It's not the product or suppliers.

Try the reagent grade from Nasco Scientific.   It's a lot cheaper.
http://www.enasco.com/Search?q=potasium+iodide&x=0&y=0
Link Posted: 2/27/2011 1:22:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Try these guys:
IOSAT
Link Posted: 2/27/2011 2:07:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

amazon.com does that all the time.   It's not the product or suppliers.

Thanks! Best thing I've seen all day.

Link Posted: 2/27/2011 2:11:28 PM EDT
[#7]
CVS
Link Posted: 2/27/2011 3:01:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Be cautious with this about people with seaford or iodine allergies.
Link Posted: 2/27/2011 3:35:11 PM EDT
[#9]
I'll second CVS (online)
Link Posted: 2/27/2011 5:48:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

There's really no need for it for those over 40, unless you expect some abnormal situation (nuke plant next door or iodine based dirty bomb).  OTOH, it would be a godsend for children.
Link Posted: 2/28/2011 1:47:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Potassium Iodate available from Medical Corps:http://www.kio3.com/
Link Posted: 2/28/2011 2:11:57 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I see three types:

Practical

Reagent

Reagent ACS

What's the difference, and is one type better than the others?

Link Posted: 2/28/2011 4:20:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I see three types:

Practical
Reagent
Reagent ACS

Purity level, increasing purity from practical, to reagent, to reagent ACS.  
Reagent ACS grade meets or exceeds American Chemical Society standards for that product.
Link Posted: 2/28/2011 5:05:45 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I see three types:

Practical

Reagent

Reagent ACS

Reagent ACS grade meets or exceeds American Chemical Society standards for that product.
If you are planning to consume it, it should be USP-NF grade...... however, a lot of ACS grade is also USP.

Practical grade is usually a bit more impure.

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 3:53:16 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

It is now.

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 5:15:59 PM EDT
[#16]
No need for this.  The only way to contract this kind of radioactive element is through cows milk.  Just dont drink milk afer a nuclear accident/explosion.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:14:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
No need for this.  The only way to contract this kind of radioactive element is through cows milk.  Just dont drink milk afer a nuclear accident/explosion.

Dude, are you serious?

Radioactive iodine is directly absorbed into your thyroid through the skin, air, whatever has it, unless your thyroid is already flooded with safe iodine (iodate/iodide)...

Rmpl
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 3:14:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

++++++++++++++++ YOU are either mis-informed, or totally mistaken, to the point where you pose a danger to  yourself and others. Please refrain from giving egregiously wrong health or medical advice in a forum where other persons could be harmed from following your lead................ That is all.

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 3:23:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Radiation Exposure from Iodine 131
Treatment and Management

For persons older than 40 years of age, the risk for radiation-induced thyroid cancer is extremely low, while the potential side effects of prophylaxis due to preexisting thyroid disease tend to increase. Adults over 40 therefore do not need to take potassium iodide as prophylaxis for exposure to I-131.

http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/csem/iodine/treatment_management2.html

Taking KI just before or within 1 to 2 hours after exposure to I-131 can block more than 90% of the radioactive iodine uptake by the thyroid. This means that public health officials must notify the public and the health professional community of I-131 releases immediately. If KI is taken 3 hours after acute exposure, approximately 50% of the thyroid uptake of I-131 is blocked. When KI is taken 4 hours after acute exposure, only 10% of the I-131 thyroid uptake is blocked. Taking KI more than 4 hours after exposure provides little protection unless the exposure to I-131 continues. Contraindications include allergies to iodine and must be considered before administering KI. Potassium iodate (KIO3) can also be used, although it might be associated with slightly more gastrointestinal irritation. Information on age-specific dosage recommendations is given in Table 2. Precautions and contraindications applicable to KI are found in Food and Drug Administration (FDA) guidelines (FDA 2001). To continue treatment, doses of KI should be administered once each day for 7 to 14 days to prevent recycling of the I-131 into the thyroid.

•The conversion of contaminated milk to powdered milk, cheese, yogurt, or ice cream allows I-131 to decay to lower levels, thus reducing radiation exposure.
The easiest way to reduce or eliminate internal exposure to I-131 during a release is to find an alternate food source of items produced outside the contamination zone. Contaminated milk can be made into cheese, yogurt, or ice cream; it can also be converted to powdered milk that can be used after the I-131 decays away.

The perception of risk by individuals or communities can be affected by several factors other than how the risk is communicated. This includes cultural, social and economic level, geographic location, previous experience, and other variables inherent to the individual, such as personality. In matters of high concern and low trust, perception equals reality.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 5:53:13 PM EDT
[#20]
... I figured that every seasoned, ARFCOM survivalist already had potassium iodide on hand
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 6:17:49 PM EDT
[#21]
haha, i know right, i have had 3 bottles for a few years now..

now who is crazy...

crazy like a fox!!!
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 7:00:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Wow, I heard that people were going batshit crazy on ebay and amazon...then I searched 'completed auctions' on ebay...

$382(!)+shipping for Three, 14-tablet packs of iOSAT. These usually sell for $9.99 each....wow

http://cgi.ebay.com/iOSAT-Potassium-Iodide-KI-tablets-3-packs-/150577770441?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item230f226fc9
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 7:05:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Yeah...i think I am going to be selling my bottles of 100 pills soon...its worth its weight in gold!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 7:10:37 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Wow, I heard that people were going batshit crazy on ebay and amazon...then I searched 'completed auctions' on ebay...

$382(!)+shipping for Three, 14-tablet packs of iOSAT. These usually sell for $9.99 each....wow

http://cgi.ebay.com/iOSAT-Potassium-Iodide-KI-tablets-3-packs-/150577770441?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item230f226fc9

Holy shit! I'm selling mine!

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 7:12:39 PM EDT
[#25]
I'll admit the prices made me sell 4 bottles of 200 pills each (cost was $79.95 total originally) for a grand total of over $1,000 on eBay!
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 7:34:17 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I'll admit the prices made me sell 4 bottles of 200 pills each (cost was $79.95 total originally) for a grand total of over $1,000 on eBay!

And since it is an auction/bid based sale, I don't have a problem with that at all. I wish you could see buyer locations, I buy stuff on ebay that ships from japan/taiwan, so I wonder if people paying $$$ for it are state-side.

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 7:37:39 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And since it is an auction/bid based sale, I don't have a problem with that at all. I wish you could see buyer locations, I buy stuff on ebay that ships from japan/taiwan, so I wonder if people paying $$$ for it are state-side.

I did a buy it now with a set price. Three of the four opted for overnight shipping.  Two buyers were in California, one in Arizona and one in Missouri.

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 7:52:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Just listed my 3 bottles.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 8:01:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Okay if you are not exposeed and take it like those not familiar with preps ect. will it kill or harm you in some way?
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 8:41:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Wow, I had no idea people were going crazy for this stuff-is there a shortage? I have quite a bit of it on-hand (enough for several families). Rather than sell it, I'd like to donate it to an agency in Japan where it could do some good if it's needed. Any ideas?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 8:59:18 PM EDT
[#31]
I do not have any on hand but will look for some tomorrow

CVS online no longer has any

Anywhere else (not e bay)?
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 9:33:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Consider tetraglycine hydroperiodide if you want a alternative right now for about $7 for 50 tabs.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=10&f=17&t=644973

From the link...

"Tetraglycine hydroperiodide tablets purify water by liberating 8 mg free iodine/tablet. The effects of ingesting four tablets daily for 3 months on thyroid size, function, and radioactive iodine uptake were studied prospectively in eight healthy volunteers. Serum inorganic iodide increased from 2.7 to approximately 100 micrograms/dL. Urinary iodide excretion rose 150-fold from a pretreatment mean of 0.276 to 40 mg/day. Radioactive iodine uptake was less than 2% after 7 days and remained below 2% in all subjects at 90 days. Mean serum T4 and T3 declined after 7 days. T4 remained below baseline, whereas T3 had recovered by the end of the treatment period."

More in the reference.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 10:02:11 PM EDT
[#33]
"Poland, 300 miles from Chernobyl, also distributed KI to protect its population. Approximately 18 million doses were distributed, with follow-up studies showing no known thyroid cancer among KI recipients.[29] With the passage of time, people living in irradiated areas where KI was not available have developed thyroid cancer at epidemic levels, which is why the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) reported “The data clearly demonstrate the risks of thyroid radiation...KI can be used [to] provide safe and effective protection against thyroid cancer caused by irradiation.[30]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potassium_iodide
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 10:44:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I see three types:

Practical
Reagent
Reagent ACS

If you are planning to consume it, it should be USP-NF grade......

If you are thinking about getting your FrEaK on just go big and order kilograms direct from Sigma Aldrich
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top