Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/15/2011 5:46:25 PM EDT
[Some] Water purification tablets sold OTC at most sporting goods stores contain iodine that might be used in place of the common iodine tabs for nuke emergencies.

Coghlans and Potable Aqua tabs [available at W-M amd camping stores] contain Tetraglycine Hydroperiodide.

Here's a link to a study that references thyroid iodine uptake from the iodine containing ingredient in these tabs so you can make up your own mind.

"Radioactive iodine uptake was less than 2% after 7 days and remained below 2% in all subjects at 90 days."

http://jcem.endojournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/80/1/220

"Tetraglycine hydroperiodide tablets purify water by liberating 8 mg free iodine/tablet. The effects of ingesting four tablets daily for 3 months on thyroid size, function, and radioactive iodine uptake were studied prospectively in eight healthy volunteers. Serum inorganic iodide increased from 2.7 to approximately 100 micrograms/dL. Urinary iodide excretion rose 150-fold from a pretreatment mean of 0.276 to 40 mg/day. Radioactive iodine uptake was less than 2% after 7 days and remained below 2% in all subjects at 90 days. Mean serum T4 and T3 declined after 7 days. T4 remained below baseline, whereas T3 had recovered by the end of the treatment period."
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 5:48:44 PM EDT
[#1]
skip
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 5:57:25 PM EDT
[#2]
All of a sudden wanting this is crazy.  If(although not gonna happen) anything bad happens in Japan, Keep prices down!  You're not going to have to deal with radiation.  Settle down.  Understand nuclear radiation and power please.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:03:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
All of a sudden wanting this is crazy.  If(although not gonna happen) anything bad happens in Japan, Keep prices down!  You're not going to have to deal with radiation.  Settle down.  Understand nuclear radiation and power please.

So no radiation can make it through the food chain to us?  Nothing can drift to the US coast?

And nothing bad is going to happen in Japan (to the reactors)?
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:51:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Thank you all for the replies guys.

That said, this topic is about technical/scientific discussion of viable alternatives to the common iodine 'suppliments'.

There are at least two other threads where the pros and cons of needing iodine suppliments are being thrashed around.

Let's stay on the technical side of things.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:14:11 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd be more worried about mercury.  Its going to be a while till the Japanese start fishing again.

Fair enough comment though.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:14:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Alternatives include iodate.  A discussion will probably ensure about FDA approval etc.  The issue of FDA approval versus FDA classification as a "drug" may come up.  The fact that you can get potassium iodate from an FDA inspected facility, made with FDA approved ingredients, produced on FDA approved machines may come up.  The difference in stomach upset could come up and iodates resistance to breakdown in warm and/or humid environments might come up too.

When all is said and done anyone who researches it may conclude that potassium iodate is an acceptable (and in some ways preferable) alternative.

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:36:24 PM EDT
[#7]
I asked the same question yesterday, I think keeping an elevated iodine level would be beneficial, whether couglans iodine is assimilated is the question.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:44:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Calm down.. Its not gonna go all fallout 3.  Let that KI get to Japan you fucknuts... I'm sorry, I'm a prepper but fuck! Children.  That is a lite reactor, much like every reactor built since Chernobyl.  Its not gonna have a 600 foot high flame that we cannot control cause its 6500k.  Much less 500sV being given to all of Japan...Settle..

Sorry, But let disaster relief get to those who need it.  Spend that $15 on helping them.  US reactors are in no way threatened.  Much less. Even with earthquakes we won't get waves overtaking our generators.  I grew up and lived next to 3 mile Island for 18 years.  You have no understanding of the tech or the atomic basis for this... STOP FREAKING OUT... TRUST ME!  IF PEOPLE LIKE ME FREAK OUT RUN LIKE FUCK... In this age of internet, if the experts tell you things are fucked believe them.  MSNBC, CNN, FOX do not realistically have experts on...

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:49:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Calm down.. Its not gonna go all fallout 3.  Let that KI get to Japan you fucknuts... I'm sorry, I'm a prepper but fuck! Children.  That is a lite reactor, much like every reactor built since Chernobyl.  Its not gonna have a 600 foot high flame that we cannot control cause its 6500k.  Much less 500sV being given to all of Japan...Settle..

Sorry, But let disaster relief get to those who need it.  Spend that $15 on helping them.  US reactors are in no way threatened.  Much less. Even with earthquakes we won't get waves overtaking our generators.  I grew up and lived next to 3 mile Island for 18 years.  You have no understanding of the tech or the atomic basis for this... STOP FREAKING OUT... TRUST ME!  IF PEOPLE LIKE ME FREAK OUT RUN LIKE FUCK... In this age of internet, if the experts tell you things are fucked believe them.  MSNBC, CNN, FOX do not realistically have experts on...

we are not talking about ki pills we are talking about water purifier tabs that many of us already have.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:52:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Fair enough. Slightly drunk...
Sorry if I over reacted.  I'm tired of hearing how BAD nuclear power is.  STAY CALM AND CARRY ON!
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:57:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Comprehension men, comprehension.

This is a technical discussion about iodine alternatives so no need for emotions.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:59:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I asked the same question yesterday, I think keeping an elevated iodine level would be beneficial, whether couglans iodine is assimilated is the question.

Your thesis may be an unhealthy one Pic.

You need to study the link in the first post or you might wind up w/ an enlarged thyroid.

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 8:17:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Iodine Based Methods
Iodine tablets are available at many government dispensaries; its active ingredient is tetraglycine hydroperiodide. You should allow 30 minutes rather than the usual 10 if the water is cold, and it is possible to double the dose if the water is cloudy, which denotes more organic material. Note: If you are pregnant, suffering from a thyroid disease or have an iodine allergy, consult a doctor before using any iodine water disinfection methods.

http://www.jainheritagecentres.com/News/Jaina_Voice/Jan-2010/Kamandal_Jain_Emblem_Of_Saving_Ecology.htm

it looks like it is assimilated, I think 1 tab/gallon (1/8 recommended strength) would not be harmful if it is safe to drink 4 times as much for several weeks while camping, I would not drink the full gallon in a day ,maybe just 8 oz/day
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 8:21:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
[Some] Water purification tablets sold OTC at most sporting goods stores contain iodine that might be used in place of the common iodine tabs for nuke emergencies.

Coghlans and Pur tabs contain Tetraglycine Hydroperiodide.

Here's a link to a study that references thyroid iodine uptake from the iodine containing ingredient in these tabs so you can make up your own mind.

"Radioactive iodine uptake was less than 2% after 7 days and remained below 2% in all subjects at 90 days."

Ok I read it, it looks like there is quite a bit of benefit, but it would be wise to not do it for long and only if needed.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 8:34:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Coghlans and Pur tabs contain Tetraglycine Hydroperiodide.

Ok I read it, it looks like there is quite a bit of benefit, but it would be wise to not do it for long and only if needed.

Excellent!
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 9:32:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 9:36:25 PM EDT
[#17]
It APPEARS we have found a work-around to the Potassium Iodine and Potassium Iodate "shortage".

[I have some Potable Aqua so am in good shape. Oh hell, I'll fess up, I just bought it a few hours ago to check out. We got KIO3 years ago. Well, it isn't with us in the Bay area right now so that's the reason for checking into alternatives like Potable Aqua. There really isn't any need to though]

Be careful not to buy the Potable Aqua Chlorine Dioxide tabs by mistake. Won't do you any good for nuke issues but you'll be able to 'purify' your H2O before your throid starts to glow.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 9:52:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Iodine Based Methods
Iodine tablets are available at many government dispensaries; its active ingredient is tetraglycine hydroperiodide. You should allow 30 minutes rather than the usual 10 if the water is cold, and it is possible to double the dose if the water is cloudy, which denotes more organic material. Note: If you are pregnant, suffering from a thyroid disease or have an iodine allergy, consult a doctor before using any iodine water disinfection methods.

http://www.jainheritagecentres.com/News/Jaina_Voice/Jan-2010/Kamandal_Jain_Emblem_Of_Saving_Ecology.htm

it looks like it is assimilated, I think 1 tab/gallon (1/8 recommended strength) would not be harmful if it is safe to drink 4 times as much for several weeks while camping, I would not drink the full gallon in a day ,maybe just 8 oz/day
You are posting about water purification. Isn't this thread about radiation?

Well you're right.

This thread is about using a 'safe' iodine based [water purifying] product as a source of free iodine for human consumption as a REPLACEMENT for potassium iodine/iodate.

This is the sort of thinking you have to do to survive when 'standard solutions' to a problem become unavailable.

Now before anyone takes this the wrong way, this topic is about ALTERNATIVES to a product that has become in short supply––

IT'S NOT A SUGGESTION TO ACTUALLY USE IT OR ANY REPRESENTATION SUCH A 'SUPPLIMENT' IS NEEDED AS A RESULT OF THE SITUATION IN JAPAN.

There are other threads to debate the possibility of the need or not, this thread is about technical issues with finding a substitute if, for whatever reason, an alternative source of iodine is EVER NEEDED.

The Potable Aqua was about $7 for 50 tablets.

ALERT!!! Just saw a warning on the bottle label.

"It is a violation of federal Law to use this product in a manner inconsistant with its labeling".

This clearly means that if a nuke reactor across town blows up, it is ILLEGAL for you to consume any of the contents of the bottle UNLESS you are purifying water. If you already have potable water available, just suck up the radioactive iodine in the air and die. Do not take these purification tablets.

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 10:31:01 PM EDT
[#19]
If you're really concerned, call your local chemical supply company or via mail order, and order how ever many pounds of crystaline KI as you feel you need.  In a true disaster/emergency you could probably find some in a local high school chem lab.

The directions are readily available as far as how much KI to mix with how much water, and how many drops to administer as an appropriate dosage.

One bottle of pure KI crystals would be many thousands of doses, IIRC.

If you're scrounging around for this kind of stuff in the middle of a disaster, you are wasting your time and energy as it's already too late.  You have to take KI BEFORE you're exposed to radioactive iodine, in order to get the benefit from it.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 10:41:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
If you're really concerned, call your local chemical supply company or via mail order, and order how ever many pounds of crystaline KI as you feel you need.  In a true disaster/emergency you could probably find some in a local high school chem lab.

The directions are readily available as far as how much KI to mix with how much water, and how many drops to administer as an appropriate dosage.

One bottle of pure KI crystals would be many thousands of doses, IIRC.

If you're scrounging around for this kind of stuff in the middle of a disaster, you are wasting your time and energy as it's already too late.  You have to take KI BEFORE you're exposed to radioactive iodine, in order to get the benefit from it.

Why would you go to all that trouble when we've already established the answer can be found at your nearby W-M for a few bucks??

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 3:07:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Just a heads up on the KIO3, which is the stuff I purchased last summer

http://www.nukepills.com/potassium-iodate-vs-potassium-iodide.html
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 4:17:47 AM EDT
[#22]
I got this a while back for water treatment:
http://www.polarequipment.com/

It has iodine crystals in a glass bottle. You store it with water in it and replenish the water after using it. Someone on one of the backpacking forums said he used vodka instead of water to keep it from freezing. The vodka also produced a stronger dose of iodine.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 5:19:30 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Just a heads up on the KIO3, which is the stuff I purchased last summer

http://www.nukepills.com/potassium-iodate-vs-potassium-iodide.html

Don't throw it away.   Its still fine.   Remember, they are selling a competing product.

Potassium iodate is an oxidizer, which is why the WHO/IAEA report indicates that it is a "stronger intestinal irritant".    KI also irritates the GI tract.    Both should probably be taken with food to minimize this, probably more so with the KIO3.

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 9:40:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Anyone pick up some water purification iodine tablets?
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 10:33:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Had some, thought i'd pick up more since this is gonna be worse than Y2K.

Bought 3 more packs of 25 at $5 apiece. Tossed them in the "water purification" section of the preps.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 10:46:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I'd be more worried about mercury.  Its going to be a while till the Japanese start fishing again.

Fair enough comment though.

From all them democrat inclined obango curly light bulbs
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 10:55:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Had some, thought i'd pick up more since this is gonna be worse than Y2K.

Bought 3 more packs of 25 at $5 apiece. Tossed them in the "water purification" section of the preps.

Are you sure they were the iodine type at that price?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top