Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/15/2009 8:00:56 PM EDT
Should I wait to see if prices come down to reasonable or join the blood-thirsty hordes scavenging Walmarts far and wide looking for ammo??? I need .223 for my AR, 12 Gauge for my 590A1, 45ACP for my P220 and 22LR (for my AR15 conversion). The "signs" out there have me worried and am not sure that our future is going to be all that positive.. I need to have a good ammo stash to give me a wee bit more piece of mind. What should I do?
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 8:03:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Make SURE that you have enough-

Sleeping soundly, not waking up wondering if I have enough ammos -

priceless -
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 8:10:02 PM EDT
[#2]
It is starting to show up here and there.   Found XM1923 at Academy for 95.00 per 200 rds today.  Also found some 40cal for 27.50 per 100.

Not cheap, but starting to trickle in here and there.

Doc
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:17:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Ask yourself this question: "If SHTF tonight am I going to be screwed immediatley?" If the answer is yes, start buying what you can afford in small amounts and increase it as prices go down
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:43:53 PM EDT
[#4]
tricky i went into combat with 120 rounds but this is different and may last much longer.

My rule of thumb is 1000rounds per weapon min and i can sleep at night.

I do however count reloads and components as rounds for the bigger rifles and pistols.  I do save my old brass and could start to expand the ready ammo if nessesary i just havent had the time so far and it has been easier/cheaper considering o/t pay vs reloading time.

I do not see the need to have a rambo stach for immediate zombie appocolypse just the ability to replenish as time permits over the long haul.

My stuff is mainly to get me through a disaster without katrina issues bothering me too much.    A longer shtf .gov or stuff like that would be such a mess that if you needed to hole up for 3-6 months we are pretty much all in very big trouble.  There would be nothing left afterward just a smoldering mass of what used to be and back to the early 1900's type of lifestyle.  

I'm not really sure this would be a good place to live, sure no traffic but not much in the way of creature comforts either and a lot of pissed off zombies.

that said 5 boxes of 223 and 1 of 38+p at wally today.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:50:36 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd buy a little here and there as you can.  If you see a deal buy it cheap and stack it deep.  I've been trying to remember if I've ever really seen ammo prices drop considerably. I've seen magazine prices drop a lot and to a lesser extent some gun prices but never really ammo.  Nope ammo is different.  Just 5 years ago or so I was trying to get my buddies to buy all the 308 Aussie we could get for $35 a 200 rd can delivered  and nobody was interested but me.  

I just found some .380 20 rd gold dots in my stash that I bought for $5.95.  Granted this was probably bought for my Y2K stash    I just don't see ammo prices falling ever again.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:24:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Assuming you have a reasonable number of mags (like, ten or fifteen... not the hundreds that some arfcommers have), have enough commercial ammo to fill those mags... then wait for a few months for the prices to come down.

Personally, I bought a lot of q3131A just before the prices went through the roof... got it all onto stripper clips...  then bought a Dillon at about the time that the price of the reloader = the price of a case of good commercial ammo. (that was about $330 or so.)

ETA I just remembered the reason I started this post.

There's an investing term called "Averaging Down." AD means that if you buy some stock while it is high, and the price declines, then you buy more stock at the lower price to make the price of the more expensive stock lower than it would be otherwise. This works well with ammo.

for example; 100 rounds at $0.50 per round = $50.
Now, if the price for the same ammo goes down to, say, $0.40 per round.  You buy 100 rounds.
100 rounds at $0.40 per round = $40.

Your average price per round, at $0.45 per round, is still higher than it was at the lower price, but lower than at the higher price.

The white knuckles occur because we don't know that the price of ammo will continue to drop.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:05:31 AM EDT
[#7]
You need to set down and think about relisticaly what you are going to "Need" all this ammo for in the sort term. Im not talking about target or recreational shooting but really NEED...What are you thinking is relisticaly going to happen that you are going to be doing all this shooting?....if you are convinced that you are going have to have 1,000s of rounds to shoot at, invading hordes of Chi Coms, Martians or Zombies or what ever in the next year or so then you should buy this high priced ammo Now.
 Personaly I'm having a hard time seeing me really needing this much ammo like this any time soon.....but I did buy my 1,000s of rounds back when it was cheaper.

If you don't have any ammo I would buy a couple hundered now , which relisticaly will probably be all you will really need in a worst case situation, and hold off on the bigger purchases till the prices come down some.....I've been really stocking up on .22 LR sti;; cheap and easy to find...$13.00 for 550 at local Walmart....T
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:45:49 AM EDT
[#8]
I know this will sound like blasphemy, but I would continue to do the ammo-purchase circuit to acquire enough for a combat load for each weapon, and maybe a little extra.  Balance out what you (or significant other, spouse, kids, family, close friends) are going to carry.  We all want to be sitting on 1000 rounds per firearm, but for the worst-case SHTF scenario where you must vacate your home (flood, fire, bio/chem spill), you can't take it all with you anyways (well, my truck will be pretty well loaded).  Seriously, figure out what your combat loads are for your rifle, shotgun and pistol are...purchase enough to fill those first and then add as funds or opportunities arise.

I hit the local Dicks and closest Wal Mart weekly...I know when their shipments come in.  I have plenty stocked, but it's a sickness  Since most of the pistol centerfire stuff is hit-or-miss, I usually end up with several boxes of CCI .22LR and shotgun ammo.  Yesterday, I ended up with 2 boxes of 12 ga OO buck (10rds/box), 2 boxes of 12ga #4 shot, 2 boxes of 38spl FMC - 100rds per box, a few boxes of CCI .22LR Velocitor and a 50rd box of .32ACP.  Odd assortment, but I'm just consider it opportunity buying as I don't really "need" it, but it makes me feel good inside

ROCK6
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:21:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Wait.  Things are definately loosening up.  You can actually find ammo now, AR's and AK's are back on the shelves, and pretty soon the prices will come down as demand drops off.  Absent a DOW crash, I think we'll see pre-Obama pricing or BETTER in another month or two.  

Anytime you have a parabolic increase in demand (which you had in the fall of last year because of the impending Obama presidency, the fears over the economy, the switching to 5.56 by some ComBloc countries, and the continuing wars in Iraq and Afghan.), you will eventually have a parabolic decrease as well.  Prices for ammo and AR stuff could literally crash.  Again, this presupposes that the economy doesn't go full retard before the winter.

Those who have well stocked ammo forts, or extra shootin' irons, and need some extra cash should think about selling some off NOW before the price drop.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:23:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Buy ammo now, you may need it.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=887396
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:00:01 AM EDT
[#11]
How much is enough?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:36:34 AM EDT
[#12]
I get bulk pack federal from my local gun shop for 27 cents a round CHEAPER then theese wacko mail oder places  get for surplus with out even factoring in shipping for it!!!

Hit mom and pop shops and stop worrying about mail order or Walmart.  

I ask how hard it was to get the ammo they had and he said.    "What do you mean? I havent had any problem getting anything but bushmaster  ARs thats why i have thoose Smiths M&Ps on the wall"

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:40:30 AM EDT
[#13]
As others have said, I would buy a little here and there at the high prices, and, if you come across a great deal, buy as much as you can.

I think if everything stays the same, the prices may come down, but I'm still afraid prices might continue to just go up.  No one in the government has gone out of their way to say they would stop any AWB or ammo restrictions, and I wouldn't put it past Obama to put an executive order in place to restrict ammo sales or types of legal ammo.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:14:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
How much is enough?

2k is 1k and 1k is none...
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:20:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Buy what you think you really can't live without now and wait to really stack it deep.  Around these parts ammo is showing back up on the shelves.  Last week the local store had numerous cases of PMC .223 for sale for $375/1K and lots of AR's on the shelves again.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:32:01 AM EDT
[#16]
I buy it when I can, and always try to have some extra cash on hand in case I run into a really good deal. That way I never feel like I'm "behind" on my ammo.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:37:54 AM EDT
[#17]
some places on the interwebs are starting to build their stocks back up.  the prices are not what they were pre-false-messiah days, but they're cheaper than 2 months ago.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:49:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Hit Walmart for all that stuff. Their prices have remained fairly stable, with them it's just a matter of being there when the shelves are stocked. I bought 6 bulks of Federal .22 last week for $13.47 apiece- same price it's been for over a year.....If you think you need ammo- buy it. Guns make lousy tent pegs.....
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:30:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Thanks for the responses. Firstly let me say I believe I have enough ammo (is there such a thing?) to last say a Katrina-type situation. My BOP is to escape and evade not to directly engage. I have about 2500 rds of 5.56mm/50rds of FedTac 12 guage 00/850 rds of 45ACP and ZERO .22LR. I have ceased all rec and training exercises to conserve what I have. I just ordered a Spike .22 conversion kit, hoping that I can resume range visits, so the kit is inbound but now I can't find any .22LR bulk packs locally! The undisciplined part of me keeps screaming get all the ammo I can now but I think I need to stop watching the news so much and reading tea leaves!
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:09:45 PM EDT
[#20]
I think you must decide what a fair price for each type of ammo is.  When you see it available, and at a fair price, pick some up to add to your collection.

You just stated previously that you currently have enough on hand to handle any SHTF incident, so the need to join in on the "Panic Buying at inflated prices" doesn't exist.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:31:20 PM EDT
[#21]
The answer to this question is found in this question - Have you ever ever ever heard anyone say - "I wish I didnt have so much ammo.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:37:17 PM EDT
[#22]

And just what, exactly, is wrong with having hundreds of mags?

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:34:42 PM EDT
[#23]
For what ever it is worth

I am buying self defense ammo right now as It will be the same price, and I think that junk ammo SHTF will come down more but not all that much

I am getting

200rds 155gr 308 tap
400rds 75gr 5.56 tap

Thus giving me a full combat load of what is thought to be ideal for self defense for the 308, and 556

I have
600     lithuanian 7.62
300     q3131      &        100 55gr vmax
200     40cal 155gr  hi shok
This is my SHTF ammo

While not much,  I think it is more than I will need before the zombies outsmart me......
That is not to say that I won't buy much more, but when the price seems reasonable
As I don't have any practice ammo right now, will get a case of federal xm193 in a couple of months to practice with
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 4:51:21 AM EDT
[#24]
I'd bump up the 12 Ga for sure and the 22 is a no brainer.
I haven't been looking for killer deals but if I can get something not sky high and it doesn't jeopardise my funds for other things then I am on it.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 5:41:33 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

How much is enough?

All depends on the person and what the ammo is for. I have somewhere between 1000 and 2000 rounds of 40 S&W WWB value packs. Some people might think that's a lot, but in reality, that's only enough to embarrass myself at league and matches for about another month. I replenish when I can catch the value packs at Wal-Mart (Thank God for traveling through small towns!), but it makes me nervous to know that I'm struggling to tread water. I wanted to do a pistol class this spring, but it would have completely wiped out my stash.

On the other end of the usage scale, I have 40 rounds of Ranger for self defense load. That seems like plenty to me. I'd pick up a few more boxes if the opportunity presented itself, but these should hopefully last me till I am 100.

For 5.56, I think I have around 1200 rounds. I try to shoot my .22 AR, just because it's so expensive.

Link Posted: 6/18/2009 7:22:34 AM EDT
[#26]
I have 400+ rds 5.56 and 7.62mm and still worry about having enough.  I worry about new taxes as a gun control measure.  Buy as you can is good advice.  I carried 240 as a combat load but wanted more.  I carried four magazines of .40 on duty and worried about ammo.  Better to have too much than to run dry.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 10:39:42 AM EDT
[#27]
Looks like I may have to start making friends with the guys in TX and have them buy and ship me some ammo. I'm in Mesa, AZ. and it is bone dry!
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 11:01:08 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Thanks for the responses. Firstly let me say I believe I have enough ammo (is there such a thing?) to last say a Katrina-type situation. My BOP is to escape and evade not to directly engage. I have about 2500 rds of 5.56mm/50rds of FedTac 12 guage 00/850 rds of 45ACP and ZERO .22LR. I have ceased all rec and training exercises to conserve what I have. I just ordered a Spike .22 conversion kit, hoping that I can resume range visits, so the kit is inbound but now I can't find any .22LR bulk packs locally! The undisciplined part of me keeps screaming get all the ammo I can now but I think I need to stop watching the news so much and reading tea leaves!

You got enough to get by on. Not to practice with by for a SHTF supply. Just get 22 and hold for the rest. I keep 1K as a do not touch for SHTF only supply. You won't live to shoot that much in a end of the world situation. (or you can get it from the guys with 50K who get killed in the first week. Chill out and wait. WJ
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 11:05:18 AM EDT
[#29]
I feel like a freak after reading this thread  

After having been on a massive buying splurge for several years and many thousands of dollars, I have been toying recently with the idea of a major selloff but just can't seem to bring myself to do it, even though I would make a considerable return on my 'investment' over the years, greatly outperforming the stock markets.  I'm also out of work (three months now) but still can't seem to part with significant chunks of ammo yet.

I just cannot imagine ANY plausible SHTF scenario that requires more than a couple hundred rounds of ammo per weapon.  To be safe, a couple thousand rounds SHTF ammo per weapon should cover the wildest of SHTF scenarios.  The rest is a monument to what appears to be obsessive-compulsive personality disorder.

Again I say  

Link Posted: 6/18/2009 11:34:05 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

The answer to this question is found in this question - Have you ever ever ever heard anyone say - "I wish I didnt have so much ammo.

You should have been around the last time I moved.

Link Posted: 6/18/2009 12:37:46 PM EDT
[#31]
If you have a need, then buy until you are satisfied with the amount and then wait for prices to go down and purchase more.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top