Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/13/2013 11:48:39 AM EDT
At my station if a cop is getting a self initiated felony arrest a night he is doing really well.

How about your area?
Link Posted: 10/13/2013 3:01:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
At my station if a cop is getting a self initiated felony arrest a night he is doing really well.
How about your area?
View Quote

Pretty much the same but you wouldn't be able to make an arrest every night. You be over the OT cap with arrest processing OT after about the 5th-6th arrest. Then your arrest would be reassigned to another cop. (usually your partner)
Link Posted: 10/13/2013 3:06:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Unless an agency has figured out a way to speed paperwork one felony a shift is a go getter.
Link Posted: 10/13/2013 4:42:06 PM EDT
[#3]
2-3 isnt a big deal. Paperwork takes the same amount of time whether its a felony, misdemeanor, or municipal arrest. I have had as many as five in one night, and it didnt take more than an hour or two of OT to get them done.
Link Posted: 10/13/2013 6:58:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
2-3 isnt a big deal. Paperwork takes the same amount of time whether its a felony, misdemeanor, or municipal arrest. I have had as many as five in one night, and it didnt take more than an hour or two of OT to get them done.
View Quote

One arrest puts you out for the whole night where I worked.
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 3:40:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can have a non-DUI arrest hooked, booked, and typed in well under an hour. A DUI will take closer to an hour and a half.
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 3:48:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I can have a non-DUI arrest hooked, booked, and typed in well under an hour. A DUI will take closer to an hour and a half.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

DUI is 8+ hours here. Very few arrests take less than 6 hours or so to process.
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 5:16:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What takes so long?  Here, a DUI can be run in under two hours from the time the blue lights go on to the end of paperwork if the officer is on top of things.
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 5:30:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What takes so long?  Here, a DUI can be run in under two hours from the time the blue lights go on to the end of paperwork if the officer is on top of things.
View Quote

First you have to go to the designated testing site where highway patrol does the breathalyzer and tests on video, they're always backlogged there so that usually takes over 2 hours. Then back to the precinct for fingerprinting and vouchering all the person's belongings. Then inventory and vouchering/impounding of the car. If the car is full of stuff it has to be removed and vouchered separately. Then more arrest paperwork. Once that's all done you have to go down to the DA's office to draw up the complaint. That usually takes at least 4-5 hours. That's why the guys who are OT whores love DUIs. They drag their feet through the process and end up with 10-12 hours of OT if they made the arrest near the end of their shift. Make a few of those and the OT amount will be over the set amount of OT hours/month for the precinct and you're capped for the month, no more arrests for you that month..
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 5:55:03 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
First you have to go to the designated testing site where highway patrol does the breathalyzer and tests on video, they're always backlogged there so that usually takes over 2 hours. Then back to the precinct for fingerprinting and vouchering all the person's belongings. Then inventory and vouchering/impounding of the car. If the car is full of stuff it has to be removed and vouchered separately. Then more arrest paperwork. Once that's all done you have to go down to the DA's office to draw up the complaint. That usually takes at least 4-5 hours. That's why the guys who are OT whores love DUIs. They drag their feet through the process and end up with 10-12 hours of OT if they made the arrest near the end of their shift. Make a few of those and the OT amount will be over the set amount of OT hours/month for the precinct and you're capped for the month, no more arrests for you that month..
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Interesting. We would inventory whilst waiting for the tow truck. We did our own breathalyzer at the jail, then turn them over to the deputy. An hour, hour and a half at most, start to finish.

Unless it was a homicide, you better not spend four hours on any call or your shift mates would make your life hell. An average officer would run twenty calls a night, often with multiple arrests each night.

Link Posted: 10/14/2013 5:56:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
An average officer would run twenty calls a night, often with multiple arrests each night.
View Quote

Impossible on NYPD.
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 6:37:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Impossible on NYPD.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
An average officer would run twenty calls a night, often with multiple arrests each night.

Impossible on NYPD.

You guys tow the car on every DUI?  Here, if it's legally parked or a family member can come get it, we leave it in place.

My department is apparently similar to KingRat's - in my street cop days a 30 call shift was a real possibility on a hot summer night.
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 7:07:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You guys tow the car on every DUI?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Impossible on NYPD.

If the person arrested is the registered owner it goes for forfeiture. We stopped leaving other cars parked on the street for liability reasons. Cars kept disappearing or getting broken into. 30 calls a night was easy for us too. My old partner called me the other night and told me his division had 119 calls stacked up on the dispatcher's screen.
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 7:11:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

If the person arrested is the registered owner it goes for forfeiture. We stopped leaving other cars parked on the street for liability reasons. Cars kept disappearing or getting broken into. 30 calls a night was easy for us too. My old partner called me the other night and told me his division had 119 calls stacked up on the dispatcher's screen.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Impossible on NYPD.

"Liability", the dread "L" word.  One of the most overused boogeymen bullshit excuses ever used by law enforcement, but also one of the main impetuses for getting anything done.
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 7:11:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Damn Extorris, that explains why you never did any DUI arrests.
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 7:13:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
"Liability", the dread "L" word.  One of the most overused boogeymen bullshit excuses ever used by law enforcement, but also one of the main impetuses for getting anything done.
View Quote

People would get released the next day and go to get their car and it would be gone or it would be broken into. Then they'd sue and make a complaint against the officer because we didn't safeguard the car. Oh well, glad I'm retired.
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 7:14:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Damn Extorris, that explains why you never did any DUI arrests.
View Quote

Damn right. All that and then they plea it down to a fine and ACOD.
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 7:23:16 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
My old partner called me the other night and told me his division had 119 calls stacked up on the screen.
View Quote

Mobile Data Units are a blessing. I remember switching to them. Not only did you no longer have to write down your calls on a clipboard whilst driving, but you could check what was pending before you went back in service. Guys would update that pending screen constantly to know when to pull someone over to avoid calls where you would catch paper.

Link Posted: 10/14/2013 7:59:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Mobile Data Units are a blessing. I remember switching to them. Not only did you no longer have to write down your calls on a clipboard whilst driving, but you could check what was pending before you went back in service. Guys would update that pending screen constantly to know when to pull someone over to avoid calls where you would catch paper.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My old partner called me the other night and told me his division had 119 calls stacked up on the screen.

We didn't have those but I know what you mean. Guys would be on a call that normally took 5 minutes to handle for an hour because they knew there was a suspected child abuse or rape call waiting to be handled.
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 11:40:05 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

How about your area?
View Quote

It's South Dakota, so...

Very little violent or "serious" crime here. If you get one DUI arrest on a weekday night shift you're doing pretty good. Luckily DUI's don't take that long as another officer tows and inventories the car while we transport to the hospital for blood (voluntarily or by warrant but you WILL get blood) and then to jail. Paperwork takes twice as long as the actual arrest process.

Weekends are busier but mostly property crimes (theft, vandalism) and noise complaints.

I made, I think, one felony arrest this year. Can't remember the last one I made.
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 9:51:25 PM EDT
[#20]
I arrested three last night, including one that needed a FIT for confinement, and still had time to run some radar, assist another agency and write three probable cause statements. 10 hour shift.
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 9:52:44 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Unless an agency has figured out a way to speed paperwork one felony a shift is a go getter.
View Quote
No kidding.

Even a FTA will put me off the street for half my shift.

Link Posted: 10/14/2013 9:53:24 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I arrested three last night, including one that needed a FIT for confinement, and still had time to run some radar, assist another age icy and write three probable cause statements. 10 hour shift.
View Quote
Must not be a small municipality.

Link Posted: 10/14/2013 9:55:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I arrested three last night, including one that needed a FIT for confinement, and still had time to run some radar, assist another age icy and write three probable cause statements. 10 hour shift.

Doesn't get much smaller than mine. 7 full time not counting chief and two part time.
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 10:03:26 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Doesn't get much smaller than mine. 7 full time not counting chief and two part time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow, it takes us hours to process an arrest. 27 sworn.

Link Posted: 10/14/2013 10:05:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We house in the county Jail. It's fully staffed. We walk in and fill out a booking sheet. Help them with the required search AGAIN and retrieve our cuffs and leave. They finger print, dress down, and house them.
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 4:27:46 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

We didn't have those but I know what you mean. Guys would be on a call that normally took 5 minutes to handle for an hour because they knew there was a suspected child abuse or rape call waiting to be handled.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's a daily occurrence where I work...
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 5:20:36 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Units we're holding a 10-10 Possible Child Abuse"

"Central, show me out on this noise complaint indefinitely"
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 10:15:10 AM EDT
[#28]
My unit bought a fingerprint machine and suffers the consequences. As a result every arrest MUST be fingerprinted and photographed, even though it's done again as soon as they get to the jail. A fingerprinting for an arrest is DIFFERENT than a booking fingerprinting the say. I should also mention that possession of this machine requires a dedicated T1 line that is isolated from other network attachments (substantial cost associated with this).

This is accomplished by taking them to the station and entering them as in custody. The printing gets done (big PITA) and then an arrest report gets completed. Then the perp is interviewed (must be recorded on video) and eventually he gets "released" electronically. Then he gets handcuffed and taken to the jail, with a copy of the arrest report the officer had to do beforehand.

Then suspect gets dropped at the jail, and his property is inventoried against what the officer put in his arrest report. Once the jailer gives the ok, the officer can now leave and deal with the evidence from the case, which must be bar coded and input into a computer, then sealed and placed into a locker. This is a pretty good time to do any followup on the case, because now is the time to complete the report. If you booked a guy, the report must be done before going home. All this is of course done after the initial scene is cleared, so if the scene is a cluster fock, it'll be a while.

The new electronic reporting was supposed to be more efficient, it is anything but that. Who ever wrote the code for the fingerprint machine and our reporting software needs a good firing.
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 10:54:27 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

My unit bought a fingerprint machine and suffers the consequences. As a result every arrest MUST be fingerprinted and photographed, even though it's done again as soon as they get to the jail. A fingerprinting for an arrest is DIFFERENT than a booking fingerprinting the say. I should also mention that possession of this machine requires a dedicated T1 line that is isolated from other network attachments (substantial cost associated with this).

This is accomplished by taking them to the station and entering them as in custody. The printing gets done (big PITA) and then an arrest report gets completed. Then the perp is interviewed (must be recorded on video) and eventually he gets "released" electronically. Then he gets handcuffed and taken to the jail, with a copy of the arrest report the officer had to do beforehand.

Then suspect gets dropped at the jail, and his property is inventoried against what the officer put in his arrest report. Once the jailer gives the ok, the officer can now leave and deal with the evidence from the case, which must be bar coded and input into a computer, then sealed and placed into a locker. This is a pretty good time to do any followup on the case, because now is the time to complete the report. If you booked a guy, the report must be done before going home. All this is of course done after the initial scene is cleared, so if the scene is a cluster fock, it'll be a while.

The new electronic reporting was supposed to be more efficient, it is anything but that. Who ever wrote the code for the fingerprint machine and our reporting software needs a good firing.
View Quote

My department did that as well for a while, but it was old school ink fingerprint cards. It was so much fun trying to print someone whom you were fighting twenty minutes prior.

Link Posted: 10/15/2013 2:35:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Here, we make the arrest, transport them to the county jail, fill out a four line booking sheet, and head out. Back to the PD, type up a UCR and a PC Affidavit, drop them off at the jail, and you are done. On a simple Petit Larceny, DUS, or warrant, is a twenty minute deal, and thats if you are quite a ways from the jail.

Dept of 50+, 30k population.
Link Posted: 10/16/2013 4:47:37 AM EDT
[#31]
They're happy that we answer our calls, write a few tickets, serve a few papers, and get an occasional arrest while making sure our reports are submitted in a timely manner without any mistakes.
If I had an arrest a night...any arrest, not just felony level....I'd be forcing my calls onto the other cars working so much that sooner or later they'd be having words with me.
You arrest the people that have to be arrested, not just to make a daily stat for yourself

Quoted:

We house in the county Jail. It's fully staffed. We walk in and fill out a booking sheet. Help them with the required search AGAIN and retrieve our cuffs and leave. They finger print, dress down, and house them.
View Quote

I wish we had central booking. I wish our electronic fingerprinting system talked to our booking program and our accident report program so we wouldn't have so much repetitive data entry
Link Posted: 10/16/2013 4:50:19 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

You guys tow the car on every DUI?  Here, if it's legally parked or a family member can come get it, we leave it in place.
View Quote

Too much liability to just leave it there unsecured. You've seized the driver from their vehicle, you have to take steps to safeguard the vehicle. That's done by towing it
Link Posted: 10/16/2013 9:54:06 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
If I had an arrest a night...any arrest, not just felony level....I'd be forcing my calls onto the other cars working so much that sooner or later they'd be having words with me.
View Quote

This.
Happened all the time with go-getters and arrest OT whores.
Link Posted: 10/16/2013 3:17:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Just getting dispatched to something.
Link Posted: 10/16/2013 5:05:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Just getting dispatched to something.
View Quote

This.
Used to run from job to job all night long.
As I said in another thread recently, my old partner texted me last week and said his division was holding 119 calls in backlog.
Link Posted: 10/16/2013 9:57:27 PM EDT
[#36]
I've had 2 DUI's, 4 reports and a felony arrest all before 2am in a 12hr shift. Had all paperwork done by 4, then got another report. I'm glad we don't have the problems some of you do with processing and reports.
Link Posted: 10/16/2013 9:58:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Too much liability to just leave it there unsecured. You've seized the driver from their vehicle, you have to take steps to safeguard the vehicle. That's done by towing it
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We tow everything unless another sober licensed driver is in the car 99% of the time.
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 7:26:49 AM EDT
[#38]
Depends the arrest. A warrant or capias arrest takes about 45 minutes from the time I make contact to the time I get back 10-8 in the field. Another 20 to put the narrative from the PC affidavit onto the incident report with all the bubbles filled out.

DUI...about 2.5 hours.
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 10:13:30 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Depends the arrest. A warrant or capias arrest takes about 45 minutes from the time I make contact to the time I get back 10-8 in the field. Another 20 to put the narrative from the PC affidavit onto the incident report with all the bubbles filled out.

DUI...about 2.5 hours.
View Quote

A warrant for me will be 2 hours minimum.
Locate the individual, take them into custody
Process
Find a judge.
Arraign
If remanded, drive to the jail and TOT to Corrections staff.

The only variable would be if it was an arrest for another agency. In that case, verify warrant, take into custody, meet their guy at the half way point somewhere and then go back into service after writing a supplemental for other agency assist.
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 4:58:38 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Process

Find a judge.

Arraign

The only variable would be if it was an arrest for another agency. In that case, verify warrant, take into custody, meet their guy at the half way point somewhere and then go back into service after writing a supplemental for other agency assist.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

DUI...about 2.5 hours.

Process

Find a judge.

Arraign

It's interesting to hear how different things are from place to place. A warrant for us would take 20 minutes tops. Dispatch verifies the warrant, officer takes them to the county jail. Done.  No paperwork, back in service.

Link Posted: 10/17/2013 5:25:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

It's interesting to hear how different things are from place to place. A warrant for us would take 20 minutes tops. Dispatch verifies the warrant, officer takes them to the county jail. Done.  No paperwork, back in service.

View Quote

I am curious how any agency has its people arresting anyone without thinking that reports might be needed
Its different when you work in the county and you have 7 or 8 townships , 2 judges per town, each issuing warrants.
Sometimes the politics of judges who wont answer their phones for late night call outs and the negative feedback from judges of neighboring towns can be quite interesting
But yeah, all that driving, paper and judge face time adds up
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 5:26:17 PM EDT
[#42]
I'm really starting to get the idea it matters how small relative a county or municipal is. We can't spend hours in an arrest. At any given time there's no more than 7 officers to answer calls in the whole county. 2 for SD, 2 for tow different munis, and one in the third muni. We don't have the resources to dilly dally. We clear domestics in 20-25 minutes unless we arrest. My traffic stops with citations are 10 min or less unless a warrant pops or search happens.

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

DUI...about 2.5 hours.

Process
Find a judge.
Arraign

Link Posted: 10/17/2013 5:29:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I am curious how any agency has its people arresting anyone without thinking that reports might be needed
Its different when you work in the county and you have 7 or 8 townships , 2 judges per town, each issuing warrants.
Sometimes the politics of judges who wont answer their phones for late night call outs and the negative feedback from judges of neighboring towns can be quite interesting
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The way our arrest system works. I arrest John smith on x charge. Place him on a 24 hour hold pending a warrant. I finish the PC In as quick of manner as possible and fax it to the prosecuting attorney during the week or the Sheriffs dept during the weekends. If arrest is made after business hours then the prosecutor checks his fax machine every morning and sends the paperwork to the judge and a warrant is issued.
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 5:36:24 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Perhaps I misunderstood what you meant. I was speaking of arresting for an outstanding warrant. If I arrested someone on a new charge, then yes, a report would be needed.

The idea of beat cop having to find a judge is alien to me as well. We dropped them off at the jail and never saw them again unless it went to court.

Link Posted: 10/17/2013 6:08:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Perhaps I misunderstood what you meant. I was speaking of arresting for an outstanding warrant. If I arrested someone on a new charge, then yes, a report would be needed.

The idea of beat cop having to find a judge is alien to me as well. We dropped them off at the jail and never saw them again unless it went to court.

View Quote

I am with you. I never see a judge unless I am in court for a hearing or trial, or I am getting a search warrant signed. We make the arrest, take them to jail, and we are done.

As for reports for warrant arrests, we do a simple one side UCR and thats it. Doesn't matter if its a local city warrant, district, or out of state.

Link Posted: 10/17/2013 6:58:18 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow.  Really.  How the hell do you get any work done?  That would be like an itch you can't scratch.
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 7:26:17 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Wow.  Really.  How the hell do you get any work done?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow.  Really.  How the hell do you get any work done?

Everyone else picks up the slack. That's why you'd catch shit from your coworkers if you went out and made an arrest every night.
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 10:17:13 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

The way our arrest system works. I arrest John smith on x charge. Place him on a 24 hour hold pending a warrant. I finish the PC In as quick of manner as possible and fax it to the prosecuting attorney during the week or the Sheriffs dept during the weekends. If arrest is made after business hours then the prosecutor checks his fax machine every morning and sends the paperwork to the judge and a warrant is issued.
View Quote

No one goes into our jail without seeing a judge on an immediate arraignment
The only exception would be the straight-to-jail parole warrants
If we're getting a warrant for someone there will be a delay of a day or two while the warrant is being applied for. If someone is arrested without a warrant, its back to that immediate arraignment again. Like I said, relatively few exceptions to going to jail without seeing a judge in most cases. Has nothing to do with size of jurisdiction. That's NYS for you
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 10:18:28 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

Any arrest for us would generate a report.
There are relatively few things we do that wouldn't result in a report
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 1:30:02 PM EDT
[#50]
We are big on DUI arrests and stolen property arrests.

Warrants and dope, meh.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top