BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 2/21/2019 12:23:52 PM EDT
@Sylvan
As discussed in this thread.
Quoted:
Since MacDonald and Heller, blue states have been banning everything they can and SCOTUS doesn't give a fuck.

LIberals and conservatives came together in this case because it was a heroin dealer and asset forfeiture is bullshit.

the liberals wanted to support heroin dealers and any other criminal they can.  conservatives wanted due process.

that alignment will NOT be repeated in support of gun owners GUARANFUCKINGTEED.

I will predict over 80% of future 5-4 decisions will be roberts siding with the communists.

want to go against that?
View Quote
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK, so now it's 80% of 5-4, 6-3, 7-2 and 8-1 decisions? That really adjusts the odds in your favor compared to your original claim.
I'm calling another goal post repositioning penalty.
Do you count concurrences? What if Roberts agrees with the 4 lefties in the judgement but writes or joins a concurrence?
View Quote
Fine 5-4.  This is simply votes.  Who gives a fuck what he writes.

Roberts is a liberal on the court.  Full stop.

I guess coming from the state that gave us Senator SNL I can understand the problems in defining what is liberal.
View Quote
Quoted:
Quoted:

Great.
I disagree that what is written doesn't matter (see Thomas and Gorsuch concurrences in the Timbs decision yesterday) but just counting votes does make it more objective.

I'm not here to establish my conservative bona fides. This is just a fun little exercise to see if you're right on how Robert's behaves as the Court's new swing vote. Tag me in June when the term is done and we'll count up the votes between now and then.
View Quote
Deal.  I would like to have a sticky in the legal section to keep track, as this will disappear on GD quickly.
View Quote
We'll count votes here in June to see if Roberts votes with Breyer, Ginsburg, Sotomayor and Kagan in more than 80% of the Court's 5-4 decisions between now and when the Court goes on Summer break. If a justice dies before the end of June I propose we stop and count at that point.

Stats on last year's 5-4 decisions.

While we're waiting, other fun SCOTUS stats. can be found here.
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 12:29:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Sweet stats.

Lets see how it goes with Kennedy gone.
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 12:31:34 PM EDT
[#2]
On his best day, Roberts has been a grave disappointment.
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 12:34:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I hope he will start leaning more conservatively...

Ideally we'll get a new justice this year.
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 12:37:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
IF we replace an actual liberal with a conservative, then I think he votes more conservative.

5-4 or 6-3 doesn't matter.

but when the chips are down and its a big case.  He is going to go liberal. Obamacare is a great example.

I don't even think he will be as much a swing vote as Kennedy.
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 12:39:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Being the swing vote means you have the most power and influence.  He strikes me as being more interested in that than any ideology.
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 12:40:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Being the swing vote means you have the most power and influence.  He strikes me as being more interested in that than any ideology.
View Quote
he'll swing liberal.  and they will call it a "bi-partisan" decision.
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 12:42:36 PM EDT
[#7]
A more detailed set of justice agreement stats from last year.
The 5-4 decisions are on the last page.
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 1:05:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
this

wondering if soros has pics of him sucking monkey dicks or something

WTF
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 2:36:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Excerpt from my link above:
Attachment Attached File

Roberts' vote would have had to have been different in roughly a dozen 5-4 cases last year to hit 80% agreement with the liberals.

I suppose I have to concede that Roberts was not as conservative as he should have been last year, like Alito and Gorsuch were, if the bar is set at 80% agreement with Thomas.
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 2:59:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Here's a fun one from last year.
The Supreme Court’s Biggest Decisions in 2018

Anyone here think Roberts was wrong writing an opinion joined by the four communists of the apocalypse in Carpenter v. US?
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 3:03:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 3:12:48 PM EDT
[#12]
I believe he is compromised.

Txl
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 3:50:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Not on that one.

A lot of people would shit if they saw how many times Scalia joined with the liberals on issues like this.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here's a fun one from last year.
The Supreme Court's Biggest Decisions in 2018

Anyone here think Roberts was wrong writing an opinion joined by the four communists of the apocalypse in Carpenter v. US?
Not on that one.

A lot of people would shit if they saw how many times Scalia joined with the liberals on issues like this.
Reading + comprehension is hard.

Here's a link to the justice agreement stats from the last full term (June, 2015) with Justice Scalia on the bench.
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 5:04:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Reading + comprehension is hard.

Here's a link to the justice agreement stats from the last full term (June, 2015) with Justice Scalia on the bench.
View Quote
Had Scalia been on the court, I suspect the decision which spawned this discussion would be 8-1.

cops can do no wrong in his eyes
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 12:35:54 PM EDT
[#15]
I bet Roberts can't wait till Trump appoints Amy C Barrett.  That will take the pressure off of him.  He acts like a compromised man.
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 12:42:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 12:43:48 PM EDT
[#17]
I am VERY WORRIED about Roberts.

We'll see...…………..
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 12:44:23 PM EDT
[#18]
And many more proving my point.  Hudson for example.
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 12:48:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
A more detailed set of justice agreement stats from last year.
The 5-4 decisions are on the last page.
View Quote
That is why I am holding out some hope still...….I saw that chart at the SCOTUS blog recently.

We'll see...………..
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 12:51:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

That is why I am holding out some hope still...….I saw that chart at the SCOTUS blog recently.

We'll see...………..
View Quote
Indeed we will.

Kennedy managed to neuter Heller to the point of irrelevance while finding a magical constitutional right to gay marriage (excuse me "dignity")
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 12:54:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 12:55:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Your point was that police "could do no wrong" in Scalia's eyes.

That a significant portion of his jurisprudence shows him favoring restraint of police power (and not just police; see, e.g., his dissent in Maryland v. Craig, dissent here) contradicts your statement that he felt that police "could do no wrong," which would only be supported if he consistently ruled that way - which he did not.  At worst you can say that his record on the subject was mixed.

He was wrong in Hudson, just as he was wrong in Raich.
View Quote
Me thinks the lawyer doth protest too much.  Obviously he isn't 100% of anything.  But Scalia was famous for his deferring to police even in the most egregious cases.  Do you agree or disagree that Scalia would be the one justice to depart from the 9-0 in this particular case?
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 1:11:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Indeed we will.

Kennedy managed to neuter Heller to the point of irrelevance while finding a magical constitutional right to gay marriage (excuse me "dignity")
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We'll see...………..
Indeed we will.

If I had to estimate the chances Roberts would be conservative in his rulings most of the time I would put it at 30 percent possibility.

Greater chance he goes mostly libtard IMHO.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 10:03:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 10:07:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Another almost 9-0 issued today.
Yovino v. Rizo

A nice final jab to the judge who said the Supreme Court “can’t catch ‘em all”.
https://www.scotusblog.com/2019/02/one-new-grant-and-a-9th-circuit-rebuke/
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 10:34:09 PM EDT
[#26]
academia is so ridiculously dominated by women its farcical to think any pay differential was on the basis of sex.

but the esteemed justices of the 9th saw otherwise.  shocking.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 10:57:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
academia is so ridiculously dominated by women its farcical to think any pay differential was on the basis of sex.

but the esteemed justices of the 9th saw otherwise.  shocking.
View Quote
The pay differential was based on past salaries, at least according to the California county where this case got started.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 11:19:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

The pay differential was based on past salaries, at least according to the California county where this case got started.
View Quote
Assuming I interpreted the legalese correctly, the 9th decided that looking at past salaries were inherently sexist, and the salary discrepancy has absolutely NOTHING to do with the fact that her previous salary was in Arizona, which pays teachers about 40% less than CA.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 11:53:49 PM EDT
[#29]
I think we are ok,

Just like on the left anybody to the right or Marx is a full blown Nazi, anybody to the left of repeal of the NFA is a liberal.

I do contend that just like much of the Bush Legacy, Roberts overall is a failure to solidify the conservative block in the SC, but then again Bush was not a conservative and we elected so we got what we voted for.

having another Kennedy type figure on the court is not the end of the world considering that Kennedy was replaced with a Potential conservative.  I think Trump will win reelection and will have the opertunity to replace Thomas and RBG.  I think we ultimately win with RGB's replacement as her replacement will be far more conservative, but in regards to Thomas, I think it will be hard to get somebody as conservative as him.

I think we win in NY, I think we can then use to spot fix alot of the BS in liberal states
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 1:50:49 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
IF we replace an actual liberal with a conservative, then I think he votes more conservative.

but when the chips are down and its a big case.  He is going to go liberal. Obamacare is a great example.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think he cares far more about his idea of the prestige of the court, his legacy and how he'll be viewed in the future, and democratic will than the law.  AFAIK he doesn't even claim to be an orginalist or anything similar, either.

I read an article in the paper the other day discussing how news articles were essentially targeting him on account of his aforementioned tendencies and claimed that it helped him to switch his vote.  Not sure how much truth is in there, but it sounds totally plausible.

I think Kavanaugh during oral arguments is showing an excessive deference to precedent, although he did say that's how he'd be, so maybe he was telling the truth rather than just telling the Senators what he thought they wanted to hear.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 8:34:52 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I think he cares far more about his idea of the prestige of the court, his legacy and how he'll be viewed in the future, and democratic will than the law.  AFAIK he doesn't even claim to be an orginalist or anything similar, either.

I read an article in the paper the other day discussing how news articles were essentially targeting him on account of his aforementioned tendencies and claimed that it helped him to switch his vote.  Not sure how much truth is in there, but it sounds totally plausible.

I think Kavanaugh during oral arguments is showing an excessive deference to precedent, although he did say that's how he'd be, so maybe he was telling the truth rather than just telling the Senators what he thought they wanted to hear.
View Quote
they all say that.

Fucking Sotomayor was praising Heller and how it was "established law".

Yeah, right.

If nominated by a democrat, they are communist activists.
If nominated by a republican, they might be communist activists.
Link Posted: 3/1/2019 4:51:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Bloomberg is in your camp, Sylvan!
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-03-01/hold-the-revolution-roberts-keeps-joining-high-court-liberals

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 3/1/2019 5:11:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Looks like he is a solid conservative, until it matters.

Obamacare, Abortion, Border security, he is alllllllllllllllllllllllllllll liberal.

funny how that works.

As for this...

“People need to know that we’re not doing politics,” Roberts said last month in Nashville. “They need to know that we’re doing something different, that we’re applying the law.”

Thats a bold faced fucking lie and NO ONE believes it anymore.

But I guess thats an excuse for being the Souter of the 21st century.
Link Posted: 3/1/2019 5:30:11 PM EDT
[#34]
A wrinkle in our standard of review, what to do with a 5-3 decision where Roberts joins the liberals?

MADISON v. ALABAMA
KAGAN,  J.,  delivered  the  opinion  of  the  Court,  in  which  ROBERTS, C.  J.,  and  GINSBURG,  BREYER,  and  SOTOMAYOR,  JJ.,  joined.    ALITO,  J.,  filed  a  dissenting  opinion,  in  which  THOMAS  and  GORSUCH,  JJ.,  joined. KAVANAUGH, J., took no part in the consideration or decision of the case.
View Quote
Vernon  Madison  killed  a  police  officer  in  1985  during  a  domestic  dispute.    An  Alabama  jury  found  him  guilty  of  capital  murder,  and  the  trial  court  sentenced  him  to  death.   He  has  spent  most  of  the  ensuing  decades  on  the State’s death row. In recent years, Madison’s mental condition has sharply deteriorated.  Madison suffered a series of strokes, including major ones in 2015 and 2016.  See Tr. 19, 46–47 (Apr. 14, 2016).  He was diagnosed as having vascular dementia,with   attendant   disorientation   and   confusion,   cognitive impairment,  and  memory  loss.   See  id.,  at  19–20,  52–54.  In particular, Madison claims that he can no longer recollect committing the crime for which he has been sentenced to die.
View Quote
While a bit of a nothing-burger remand to the lower courts for a "do over" decision, this case fits Sylvan's criteria of the four liberals + Roberts, so he jumps into the early lead with 100% of the issued decisions showing Roberts is now a liberal!!!
Link Posted: 3/1/2019 5:49:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Yeah, I think that goes into one for me camp.

I appreciate you giving me the benefit of the doubt on a 5-3.  Had it been 4-4 the decision of the lower court would have stood as I understand it so Roberts was the deciding vote, agreed?
Link Posted: 3/1/2019 5:57:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
I still lean towards the swamp got to him somehow and got him to change his vote on Obamacare.   Now they have their hooks in him for he stuff that's important to them.   I think Roberts needs to go.
Link Posted: 3/1/2019 6:54:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Yeah, I think that goes into one for me camp.

I appreciate you giving me the benefit of the doubt on a 5-3.  Had it been 4-4 the decision of the lower court would have stood as I understand it so Roberts was the deciding vote, agreed?
View Quote
Yes, a 4-4 split opinion is basically a non-decision and the opinion of the lower court stands.
Yes, Roberts appears to be a deciding vote, and I give you credit for his siding with the four liberals.
However, the substance of this one is a little weird if you read Alito's dissent, and it doesn't appear to be a change in SCOTUS's death penalty jurisprudence, so this COULD just be Roberts playing nice with the liberals in a case that doesn't really mean anything.
If I'm going to lose here I won't mind it being over cases like this one.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 9:03:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
this

WTF
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
this

WTF
Maybe doing Hilarity Clintoon?

That image would be terrifying.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 11:25:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
this

WTF

I can't stop you from posting that tinfoil hat shit in this thread, but it isn't welcome. Go peddle that crap in GD.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 10:03:21 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 11:36:29 AM EDT
[#41]
I don't see any 5-4 or 5-3 opinions today but Justice GORSUCH (joined by Thomas) had some high praise for Ginsburg's 7-2 majority opinion in BNSF Railway Company v. Loos.
Though  I  may  disagree  with  the  result  the  Court  reaches,  my  colleagues  rightly afford the parties before us an independent judicial interpretation of the law.  They deserve no less.
View Quote
Edit to fix dissent's author.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 11:39:23 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I don't see any 5-4 or 5-3 opinions today but Justice Thomas had some high praise for Ginsburg's 7-2 majority opinion in BNSF Railway Company v. Loos.
View Quote
they will hear that case, but refuse to address the SAFE act or any other of the various forms of gun control in liberal states.

My days of not taking the SCOTUS seriously are certainly coming to a middle.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 11:49:13 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
they will hear that case, but refuse to address the SAFE act or any other of the various forms of gun control in liberal states.

My days of not taking the SCOTUS seriously are certainly coming to a middle.
View Quote
That may have been a good thing if Kennedy was willing to vote with the liberals to say "the SAFE act or any other of the various forms of gun control in liberal states" are constitutional.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 11:52:23 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

That may have been a good thing if Kennedy was willing to vote with the liberals to say "the SAFE act or any other of the various forms of gun control in liberal states" are constitutional.
View Quote
Agreed.  I think Heller was as far as he was willing to take it and that effectively green lit all gun bans.

the next year will certainly prove one of us wrong.

But the case you highlighted seems so pedantic that its shocking the court wastes its time on it.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 3:53:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Agreed.  I think Heller was as far as he was willing to take it and that effectively green lit all gun bans.

the next year will certainly prove one of us wrong.

But the case you highlighted seems so pedantic that its shocking the court wastes its time on it.
View Quote
You need to read a lot more case law. The Court takes cases that are brought to it, no not all of the cases, but someone (a railroad) brought today's controversy at significant expense.
Try reading today's other two decisions:
What does "full costs" really mean?
When is a copyright "registered?" -- when the Copyright office says it is.

I won't be surprised if Roberts stabs us all in the back in the next gun rights case. Don't assume this thread or any of my comments in it are intended to defend or characterize Roberts as a "true conservative," or that I have any love or admiration for the 4 liberals. I probably agree with you on more than you think, outside of how to read case law and the operation of SCOTUS.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 3:56:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Hawaii judge wants to stop an executive order?  Oh, well, who cares, right?

is Compensation compensation?  Thats important.

While no one can prove it, I bet Roberts is lockstep in denying cert to important cases with the liberal wing.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 4:06:19 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Hawaii judge wants to stop an executive order?  Oh, well, who cares, right?

is Compensation compensation?  Thats important.

While no one can prove it, I bet Roberts is lockstep in denying cert to important cases with the liberal wing.
View Quote
It only takes 4 justices to hear a case. Why would four justices vote to take a case when the other five are going to decide it in a way they don't like? Roberts gets to vote last. The at least three of the four on the left or the right have to want to hear a case before Roberts even needs to think about it.

And that's after the filtering that happens by the Justice's cert. pool.
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/unlike-gorsuch-kavanaugh-jumps-scotus-060749971.html
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 4:10:44 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

It only takes 4 justices to hear a case. Why would four justices vote to take a case when the other five are going to decide it in a way they don't like? Roberts gets to vote last. The at least three of the four on the left or the right have to want to hear a case before Roberts even needs to think about it.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/unlike-gorsuch-kavanaugh-jumps-scotus-060749971.html
View Quote
Kinda my point.  the conservatives are terrified to bring a real case and have roberts shove down a liberal opinion for the next 100 years.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 4:16:10 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Kinda my point.  the conservatives are terrified to bring a real case and have roberts shove down a liberal opinion for the next 100 years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe, but I suspect we'll see Roberts side with the four conservatives at least 20% of the time in 5-4 decisions this term.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 4:18:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Maybe, but I suspect we'll see Roberts side with the four conservatives at least 20% of the time in 5-4 decisions this term.
View Quote
i'd like to weasel out and say "important cases" but too vague.

We will see.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top