Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/24/2010 11:32:05 AM EDT
I went to an outdoor range today with my parents and one of my mom's friends. My mom's friend brought her boyfriend and her sister along. He boyfriend was a really nice guy, retired cop and now he works as a cop in a university here in FL. He brought a few guns including a Kahr 9mm. I'm not sure if it's a PM9 or P9. It's a polymer frame 9mm with a blackened slide. He had a bunch of rounds of 9mm his old agency gave him for training. I'm not sure if they are reloads or not, I think they are. Anyway, my mom and her friend shot the hell out of it and really didn't have any problems controlling it. I was talking to my new friend about his gun and he started loading up a mag for me to try it out. I took the gun, aimed, pulled the trigger and it went boom. My face really stung (I was wearing sunglasses) and the recoil felt a tad ... harsh to my hand. So I stopped to look at the gun and realized I had a KB. I calmly placed the pistol down and walked off, shaking my hand. It didn't really sting until after I realized what happened. The round was stuck in the chamber and someone produced a cleaning rod to tap it out. The bottom of the brass is completely ruptured and oddly bulged. I forgot to take pictures on my phone before they left so I only have some pictures they sent me from her iPhone.

It was a very ... strange experience. There wasn't an obstructed bore because the slide locked back when my mom emptied the magazine, and the barrel is not bulged. The magazine was blown out, but is fine. The mag catch still works, the slide cycles. There is just a bit of a hole in the frame. Thankfully the front didn't fall off leading me to believe it was, in fact, built to rigorous maritime standards. He is going to ship it off to Kahr with the blown casing, and a handful of the unfired rounds to see what they say.

Link Posted: 1/24/2010 11:33:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Kahr...nuff said.
Link Posted: 1/24/2010 11:35:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Does the Rev. Moon still have an interest in the company?

Aloha, Mark

Link Posted: 1/24/2010 11:37:08 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Kahr...nuff said.

It seems to me this was an ammunition problem which is not exactly the firearm manufacturer's fault.

ETA - Unless, like Ponyboy said, it was out of battery.

Link Posted: 1/24/2010 11:37:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Yikes.
Link Posted: 1/24/2010 11:37:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Out of battery
Link Posted: 1/24/2010 11:38:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Out of battery

Yep.
Link Posted: 1/24/2010 11:38:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Hopefully the gun isn't fucked over and it's good you didn't get hurt.
Link Posted: 1/24/2010 11:39:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Out of battery

Seems a good call
Link Posted: 1/24/2010 11:39:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Hopefully the gun isn't fucked over and it's good you didn't get hurt.

There's something wrong with it to allow that to happen in the first place.

Link Posted: 1/24/2010 11:42:26 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Out of battery

Sounds right.

Good thing it's being towed outside the environment.
Link Posted: 1/24/2010 11:46:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Thank GOD it was built to rigorous maritime standards.  You might be without a couple fingers if not.  

Were you in the environment?
Link Posted: 1/24/2010 11:49:23 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Thank GOD it was built to rigorous maritime standards.  You might be without a couple fingers if not.  

No, it was taken outside of the environment.

Link Posted: 1/24/2010 11:49:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Into another environment?
Link Posted: 1/24/2010 11:51:58 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, there is no environment. It was taken outside of its environment.

Link Posted: 1/24/2010 11:51:59 AM EDT
[#15]
they should have put the blow out panel on the other side.  

Now I have two reasons for not buying one. The tranny model and the southpaw BOP
Link Posted: 1/24/2010 11:53:48 AM EDT
[#16]
damn i guess its not just glocks.
Link Posted: 1/24/2010 11:55:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Case failure likely in the area of the feed ramp. I've read that federal american eagle brass is a little thin for reloading. That brass may have just been reloaded too many times then combined with an unsupported chanber allowed a case failure.
Link Posted: 1/24/2010 12:12:18 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, there is no environment. It was taken outside of its environment.

sooo , did the front fall off

Link Posted: 1/24/2010 12:14:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
they should have put the blow out panel on the other side.  

Now I have two reasons for not buying one. The tranny model and the southpaw BOP

Wait, what?
Link Posted: 1/24/2010 12:16:53 PM EDT
[#20]

If you notice where the pinstrike is on the primer it seems quite a bit off center.  Kindof like this guys eyes––––-

Link Posted: 1/24/2010 12:17:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Dang, glad you didn't get hurt.
Link Posted: 1/24/2010 12:19:49 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

damn i guess its not just glocks.
M G24 did that but i didn't even notice till the end of the match stage and picked up my brass

Link Posted: 1/24/2010 12:26:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Years ago I had a Llama large frame do exact that to me.  It was fully in battery at the time.  The case head failed due to high pressure (reloaded ammo, and in the words of my friend who loaded it, "It might have been a tad hot  
 ").  I'm guessing case head failure, not pistol/OOB failure, especially if it was reloaded once before.

Not brought up yet, but this is EXACTLY why we stress eye protection when shooting.  I looked like I had the chicken pox for a week after my Kb––the pistol peppered my face with burning powder and bits of motlen brass.

Glad fingers and eyes are all intact.  Hope Kahr ponies up for the pistol repair.

Link Posted: 1/24/2010 12:35:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Out of battery or unsupported chamber. Either way the shell was detonated without the full case supported. Prolly vented straight out the mag well and took the mag with it.

Glad you're not hurt.
Link Posted: 1/24/2010 12:42:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Out of battery would be my guess...

Had it happen in a semi auto uzi once.

Gun was fine as it is built like a tank...
Link Posted: 1/24/2010 12:55:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Out of battery or unsupported chamber. Either way the shell was detonated without the full case supported. Prolly vented straight out the mag well and took the mag with it.

Glad you're not hurt.

This.

Your hand still okay, no residual suckage?
Link Posted: 1/24/2010 1:01:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Design feature of the Kahrs..... that panel is designed to blow out in a "managed" way to keep from completely destroying the frame.  I have seen pics of it happening before to someone else.
Link Posted: 1/24/2010 1:10:33 PM EDT
[#28]
about 99 percent of KBs involve reloads

out of battery would be easy to check, just pull the slide back a little and try to fire it (on an empty chamber)

retire that brass after 5 loads if reloading for a rifle or autoloader

revolver, reload until wall splits occur, then dump the whole batch

looks like a classic feed ramp blowout, could be an overcharged case, bad brass, or excessively relieved ramp like the glocks.

regarding glocks: any gun that routinely bulges brass has a major design flaw. sorry about that, your heroic boner idol gun has a design flaw
Link Posted: 1/24/2010 1:20:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Was Donny with you?
Link Posted: 1/24/2010 1:24:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

regarding glocks: any gun that routinely bulges brass has a major design flaw. sorry about that, your heroic boner idol gun has a design flaw

Yeah but it still goes bang every time, one way or another.

Link Posted: 1/24/2010 1:35:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Design feature of the Kahrs..... that panel is designed to blow out in a "managed" way to keep from completely destroying the frame.  I have seen pics of it happening before to someone else.

Damn you would think they would make it to blow out the finger tips instead of the meat of your hand that would blow the whole finger off .
Link Posted: 1/24/2010 1:37:33 PM EDT
[#32]
oob
Link Posted: 1/24/2010 1:37:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Youre lucky its wasnt a 45 or your arm would have been blown clear right off!

Out of battery detonation.  I bet the chamber got real dirty because like you said it was shot the hell out of that day.

The dirt and debris kept the round from fully seating and when you pulled the trigger it fired with the butt end not supported.

Glad you were not hurt.
Link Posted: 1/24/2010 1:42:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/24/2010 1:42:43 PM EDT
[#35]
You mean this doesn't just happen to the Glock forty's  
Link Posted: 1/24/2010 1:44:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Glad you didn't suffer any serious injuries.
Link Posted: 1/24/2010 1:45:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Kahr...nuff said.

It seems to me this was an ammunition problem which is not exactly the firearm manufacturer's fault.

ETA - Unless, like Ponyboy said, it was out of battery.

i agree. no real signs of over pressure on that primer. looks like a case failure or OOB.

The base of the case blown out in conjunction with the off center primer hit (unless that's normal for a Kahr) is what I'm basing my guess on.

Link Posted: 1/24/2010 1:45:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Looks like the gun held together....

Kahr > glock
Link Posted: 1/24/2010 1:46:00 PM EDT
[#39]
If it was a Glock your hand would be gone. Glad you're okay....
Link Posted: 1/24/2010 2:27:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Glad you're OK-damn there's a lot of KBs lately. In the last year on arfcom I've read about these

ALS .50 BMG upper
Bohica .50 BMG upper
A 91/30 Mosin on the C&R forum
This handgun
A S&W revolver that blew the cylinder crane out
Taurus judges blowing barrels off(not here, saw those on another board)
A couple Glocks having case failures and blowing the mag catch out
Link Posted: 1/24/2010 3:15:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Does the bulge go all the way around the case?  Is there any way you could get some close up pictures?
Link Posted: 1/24/2010 3:19:49 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I went to an outdoor range today with my parents and one of my mom's friends. My mom's friend brought her boyfriend and her sister along. He boyfriend was a really nice guy, retired cop and now he works as a cop in a university here in FL. He brought a few guns including a Kahr 9mm. I'm not sure if it's a PM9 or P9. It's a polymer frame 9mm with a blackened slide. He had a bunch of rounds of 9mm his old agency gave him for training. I'm not sure if they are reloads or not, I think they are. Anyway, my mom and her friend shot the hell out of it and really didn't have any problems controlling it. I was talking to my new friend about his gun and he started loading up a mag for me to try it out. I took the gun, aimed, pulled the trigger and it went boom. My face really stung (I was wearing sunglasses) and the recoil felt a tad ... harsh to my hand. So I stopped to look at the gun and realized I had a KB. I calmly placed the pistol down and walked off, shaking my hand. It didn't really sting until after I realized what happened. The round was stuck in the chamber and someone produced a cleaning rod to tap it out. The bottom of the brass is completely ruptured and oddly bulged. I forgot to take pictures on my phone before they left so I only have some pictures they sent me from her iPhone.

It was a very ... strange experience. There wasn't an obstructed bore because the slide locked back when my mom emptied the magazine, and the barrel is not bulged. The magazine was blown out, but is fine. The mag catch still works, the slide cycles. There is just a bit of a hole in the frame. Thankfully the front didn't fall off leading me to believe it was, in fact, built to rigorous maritime standards. He is going to ship it off to Kahr with the blown casing, and a handful of the unfired rounds to see what they say.

http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/ad264/45fmjoe/KB/brass.jpg

http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/ad264/45fmjoe/KB/brass2.jpg

http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/ad264/45fmjoe/KB/brass3.jpg

http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/ad264/45fmjoe/KB/kahr1.jpg

http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/ad264/45fmjoe/KB/kahr2.jpg

SAME exact thing happened with my GF's P9 Covert that I gave her as a Christmas gift a few years back. We attributed it to crappy department-issued ammo.
Link Posted: 1/24/2010 3:35:22 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

still?

jesus i sold 2 raging bulls that did that a few years back and saw numerous reports on the net of other bulls doing that

think taurus would figure out the fucking problem

Link Posted: 1/24/2010 3:43:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Quoted:

still?

jesus i sold 2 raging bulls that did that a few years back and saw numerous reports on the net of other bulls doing that

think taurus would figure out the fucking problem

Don't know if it's true or not but I was told the Judge uses a press-fit instead of threadd in barrel. Barrels came off when .45 colt was shot in the 3" chambered guns-apparently the extra cylinder length was allowing the bullet to go off course and hit the edge of the barrel enough to blow it off. Haven't had any trouble with any of the Taurus products I have had or still have-I hit low with my 1911, but might be as much me as the gun, considering the distances I've been shooting it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2010 3:48:52 PM EDT
[#45]
100% sure it's out of battery.  The off-center firing pin strike is a giveaway.  The barrel was still a bit lower than the fully locked position.  My wife's M&P .40 kept doing that, but it was because the recoil spring assembly wasn't long enough to push it fully into battery (the slide could be pulled back 1/8 of an inch and it would stay there).  

It may have been okay with new, stronger brass, but still OOB.
Link Posted: 1/24/2010 3:54:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Glad you're ok!
Link Posted: 1/24/2010 5:54:05 PM EDT
[#47]
The only problems I've had with either of my Kahrs were failures to return to battery.  Also when researching about the gun prior to buying my first Kahr I read numerous complaint of people's Kahrs failing to return to batter.

I just tried my PM40.  If I just barely move the slide back the striker still drops.  The barrel still appears to be locked up, although it moves maybe a centimeter.
Link Posted: 1/25/2010 5:54:08 AM EDT
[#48]
First of all, I would like to say thank you to everyone for your kind words. It is indeed a very good thing all my digits are still attached.

I was thinking about it being an out of battery fire, but he loaded the gun, set it down on the bench and I picked it up. I'm 99.99% certain it was in battery. I would like to believe I would have noticed the slide slightly rearward. Also, apparently this isn't the first round that has ruptured a case. He said it happened before in his Sig 226 but the Sig just shook it off. Unless this really was an OOB fire and that's why the gun went kaboom. I don't know, I guess we will have to see what Kahr says.
Link Posted: 1/25/2010 5:55:02 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

The only problems I've had with either of my Kahrs were failures to return to battery.  Also when researching about the gun prior to buying my first Kahr I read numerous complaint of people's Kahrs failing to return to batter.

I just tried my PM40.  If I just barely move the slide back the striker still drops.  The barrel still appears to be locked up, although it moves maybe a centimeter.

Oh. Well, maybe that was what happened to me.

Link Posted: 1/25/2010 6:02:33 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
about 99 percent of KBs involve reloads

out of battery would be easy to check, just pull the slide back a little and try to fire it (on an empty chamber)

retire that brass after 5 loads if reloading for a rifle or autoloader

revolver, reload until wall splits occur, then dump the whole batch

looks like a classic feed ramp blowout, could be an overcharged case, bad brass, or excessively relieved ramp like the glocks.

Really?
Where is the evidence or facts to support that claim?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top