User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/25/2010 6:03:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/25/2010 6:07:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
First of all, I would like to say thank you to everyone for your kind words. It is indeed a very good thing all my digits are still attached.

I was thinking about it being an out of battery fire, but he loaded the gun, set it down on the bench and I picked it up. I'm 99.99% certain it was in battery. I would like to believe I would have noticed the slide slightly rearward. Also, apparently this isn't the first round that has ruptured a case. He said it happened before in his Sig 226 but the Sig just shook it off. Unless this really was an OOB fire and that's why the gun went kaboom. I don't know, I guess we will have to see what Kahr says.

Is that panel damaged in any way, such as a locking tab or pin area? I am not sure if the comment above about that being designed to open like that, I'd have to check with Kahr. You said "hole" in the frame so I assumed damage but that part looks like where the trigger disconnector housing is assembled. I have not fully disassembled my PM9 so I am unsure of how much force it takes to remove that panel.
Link Posted: 1/25/2010 6:11:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Kahr...nuff said.

Glock makes Kahr? correct??  

I keeeeed I keeeeeed
Link Posted: 1/25/2010 6:11:51 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

First of all, I would like to say thank you to everyone for your kind words. It is indeed a very good thing all my digits are still attached.

I was thinking about it being an out of battery fire, but he loaded the gun, set it down on the bench and I picked it up. I'm 99.99% certain it was in battery. I would like to believe I would have noticed the slide slightly rearward. Also, apparently this isn't the first round that has ruptured a case. He said it happened before in his Sig 226 but the Sig just shook it off. Unless this really was an OOB fire and that's why the gun went kaboom. I don't know, I guess we will have to see what Kahr says.

Is that panel damaged in any way, such as a locking tab or pin area? I am not sure if the comment above about that being designed to open like that, I'd have to check with Kahr. You said "hole" in the frame so I assumed damage but that part looks like where the trigger disconnector housing is assembled. I have not fully disassembled my PM9 so I am unsure of how much force it takes to remove that panel.

Umm, I'm no Kahr expert but I don't think the grips are removable. Well, in this case it was, but I don't think that's normal.

Link Posted: 1/25/2010 6:12:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I've read that federal american eagle brass is a little thin for reloading.

That's the older .223 stuff.  The pistol brass is fine.
Link Posted: 1/25/2010 6:13:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I went to an outdoor range today with my parents and one of my mom's friends. My mom's friend brought her boyfriend and her sister along. He boyfriend was a really nice guy, retired cop and now he works as a cop in a university here in FL. He brought a few guns including a Kahr 9mm. I'm not sure if it's a PM9 or P9. It's a polymer frame 9mm with a blackened slide. He had a bunch of rounds of 9mm his old agency gave him for training. I'm not sure if they are reloads or not, I think they are. Anyway, my mom and her friend shot the hell out of it and really didn't have any problems controlling it. I was talking to my new friend about his gun and he started loading up a mag for me to try it out. I took the gun, aimed, pulled the trigger and it went boom. My face really stung (I was wearing sunglasses) and the recoil felt a tad ... harsh to my hand. So I stopped to look at the gun and realized I had a KB. I calmly placed the pistol down and walked off, shaking my hand. It didn't really sting until after I realized what happened. The round was stuck in the chamber and someone produced a cleaning rod to tap it out. The bottom of the brass is completely ruptured and oddly bulged. I forgot to take pictures on my phone before they left so I only have some pictures they sent me from her iPhone.

It was a very ... strange experience. There wasn't an obstructed bore because the slide locked back when my mom emptied the magazine, and the barrel is not bulged. The magazine was blown out, but is fine. The mag catch still works, the slide cycles. There is just a bit of a hole in the frame. Thankfully the front didn't fall off leading me to believe it was, in fact, built to rigorous maritime standards. He is going to ship it off to Kahr with the blown casing, and a handful of the unfired rounds to see what they say.

http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/ad264/45fmjoe/KB/brass.jpg

http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/ad264/45fmjoe/KB/brass2.jpg

http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/ad264/45fmjoe/KB/brass3.jpg

http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/ad264/45fmjoe/KB/kahr1.jpg

http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/ad264/45fmjoe/KB/kahr2.jpg

SAME exact thing happened with my GF's P9 Covert that I gave her as a Christmas gift a few years back. We attributed it to crappy department-issued ammo.

Should have added that it was easily fixed, and there have been countless hundreds of rounds through it since.
Link Posted: 1/25/2010 6:34:17 AM EDT
[#7]
unpossible.  the all nowing arfcom ninjas sez that only glockz can get teh kaboom.
Link Posted: 1/25/2010 6:49:21 AM EDT
[#8]
'Appears' to be a reload, if memory serves me correctly, Federal ammo has brass primers, that looks to be a CCI primer. Had a similar thing happen to me in a M11/9 subgun except a tiny flake of brass hit below my eyebrow and lodged above my eyeball. Took surgery to remove it. If it was a reload, then it's due to weak brass.
Link Posted: 1/25/2010 6:50:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Glad you're OK enough to still type on here
Link Posted: 1/25/2010 6:51:58 AM EDT
[#10]
I just realized I originally typed "the round was stuck in the barrel" which is untrue, I meant to say the brass was stuck in the chamber. The bullet did indeed go downrange. Apologies all around.

Link Posted: 1/25/2010 7:07:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
about 99 percent of KBs involve reloads

out of battery would be easy to check, just pull the slide back a little and try to fire it (on an empty chamber)

retire that brass after 5 loads if reloading for a rifle or autoloader

revolver, reload until wall splits occur, then dump the whole batch

looks like a classic feed ramp blowout, could be an overcharged case, bad brass, or excessively relieved ramp like the glocks.

regarding glocks: any gun that routinely bulges brass has a major design flaw. sorry about that, your heroic boner idol gun has a design flaw

Really?
Where is the evidence or facts to support that claim?

that's based on 20 years of reading about kbs.  There is simply more to possibly go wrong in reloading compared to buying new ammo, especially for autoloaders.
Link Posted: 1/25/2010 7:21:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Glad you didn't suffer any serious injuries.

+1
Link Posted: 1/25/2010 7:23:12 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Does the bulge go all the way around the case?  Is there any way you could get some close up pictures?

This, it does look like it goes all the way around.  It looks too big be just an unsupported chamber.

Link Posted: 1/25/2010 7:31:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Does the Rev. Moon still have an interest in the company?

Aloha, Mark

Link Posted: 1/25/2010 7:43:13 AM EDT
[#15]
So when is the AR15.com store going to start selling "I survived a plastic gun" t-shirts?

Here's some art we could use.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top