Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/20/2009 7:23:35 PM EDT
Fellers-

I remember it as plain as day: At a Puyallup, WA gun show in 1991, I held in my hands a brand-new grey Chinese FAL copy with a cheap-looking synthetic black thumbhole stock. It cost only $399.00 We couldn't believe the price. These were the days just after the Bush import ban, shortly before AR clones exploded on the scene and long before parts kits and US-made FAL, HK and AK receiver brought affordable fun guns to us drones. The Chinese unleashed a wave of clones and we were STOKED! I was 15 years old and my friend and I begged his father to buy it.

Anyway, I am SURE I saw this thing and that it was indeed CHINESE. nevertheless, my know-it-all gun nut friend says there was never a Chinese FAL clone exported to the US, and sure enough, Google seems to agree.

I saw the damned thing with my own eyes.

A six-pack of Black Butte Porter is riding on this.

Thanks for any help.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:27:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Springfield imported some FALs and converted them to butthole stocks in the post-Bush/922r days, but they were Brazilian.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:34:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't think there was a Chinese clone. Maybe you saw the word "Century" (as in Century International Arms) and remember it as "Chinese".

Norinco made/makes AK, Uzi, M14 clones and I heard of an AR clone one time.

Marstar in Canada carries Norinco yet today. marstar.ca

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:37:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Never heard of or let alone seen a Chinese copy of an FAL, doesn't mean that it doesn't exist though.  Ask the fellows over on the fal files, someone over there should be able to give you a definitive answer.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:44:13 PM EDT
[#4]

Yep. It was a Springfield SAR-whatever. I was WRONG. Wow. I was SURE. Just goes to show.

Thanks you guys, esp. LON_MOER.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:44:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Nope, and you can chalk that up to one of the very few things China has not cloned.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:44:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Springfield imported some FALs and converted them to butthole stocks in the post-Bush/922r days, but they were Brazilian.

If they imported a Brazilian of them, why are they so hard to find?
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:45:49 PM EDT
[#7]
I wouldn't doubt if they prototyped a clone, but it was never massed produced.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top