Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/17/2009 9:35:05 AM EDT
Okay, I was speeding. Ya got me. Woohoo. 21 over as a matter of fact . To the tune of $229 as another matter of fact. Been 3 or 4 years since I've gotten one; time to use the cruise control more frequently again.

State Trooper comes around the bend, I see his brake lights come on and know I've been had. As he turns around I just pull over and wait. I don't even make him chase after me like I didn't know I was speeding or something. I was over on the shoulder waiting before he even got close to me, license in hand. He stops, takes damn near 5 minutes while he calls in my plates. He comes up to my passenger window, which is down and waiting. I hand him my license and he gives it a once-over.

Now, I'm in scrubs and I'm about a mile from the hospital. He just ran my plates, probably knows about my CCW too but doesn't even ask. Obviously I'm not wanted for anything and it is painfully obvious where I'm going.

Trooper: "Oh, you're from XXXX, huh? What county is that?"

Me: Looking at him for a second, mulling over a wise-ass answer. "It's in XXXX county."

Now, the county I live in is the next one over, about 15 minutes away. He's a fucking State Trooper, and runs the interstates for a living (although this was not on an interstate). My town is in fact one of the exits off the interstate he runs for a living. The guy is probably early 50's so he ain't a rookie; been doing this for awhile. Oh––-the icing on the cake: TN has a county sticker on the plate. You know, the one he just fucking ran!?

Why the stupid fucking question(s)? It was obvious I wasn't wanted, where I was going, hadn't been drinking, valid license and plates. Why the Johnny Detective dumb-ass questions? Are they all "junior detectives"?

Okay, ya got me. Just give me the ticket and spare me the probing "assume you're guilty of something" stupid questions.

Any LEO's care to speculate why such sillyness takes place? Keep in mind the situation as I describe it––-no ambiguity, pretty clear-cut circumstances.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:49:31 AM EDT
[#1]
It impresses them if you tell them what watershed you are from.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:50:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Do you honestly think he didn't know the answer to the questions before he asked them?

All of the questions are asked for a reason, most are too ignorant to realize it and then spout off about how stupid a cop is.
The funny thing (at least to me) is that HE knew exactly what he was doing when he asked the question and YOU obviously don't............and that somehow makes him the stupid one?
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:51:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Do you honestly think he didn't know the answer to the questions before he asked them?

All of the questions are asked for a reason, most are too ignorant to realize it and then spout off about how stupid a cop is.
The funny thing (at least to me) is that HE knew exactly what he was doing when he asked the question and YOU obviously don't............and that somehow makes him the stupid one?

Brush up on your reading inference skills dude: I fucking KNOW he knew. My point is why the dumbass question, given the circumstances?

Oh, and that reason would be.......?
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:53:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:54:20 AM EDT
[#5]
He asked you that question as a test, if you had not known then that would be a red flag. Possibly you had just stolen the car and it had not been reported yet.
I think that very seldon do the LEO's really ask a meanengless (sp) question.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:54:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Nah man, very basic police work. He's determining MANY things by making small talk. He can determine if you've been drinking and is gauging your demeanor for criminal activity, ie: drug mule, etc. When you ask someone what county is that AND THEY DON"T KNOW, he will begin to crack the egg. For the normal guy coming and going theres no harm done.

I thank you for asking us instead of freaking out in a crazy cop thread. Be safe, bro.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:56:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Quoted:

This.

You might be surprised how many folks provide a little more suspicious behavior when their answer to a simple question like that is inconsistent, and how often it's led to arrests for a lot more than the original stop.

Okay, of all the dumb shit he could have asked, if the COUNTY is on the valid LICENSE PLATE and I have a valid DRIVER LICENSE, was I gonna be an imposter who stole some guy's vehicle, happens to look like him, and is faking his way to the hospital in his scrubs? I mean, seriously.......

And no, it's not cop-bashing. I freely admitted I'm guilty as charged. If you're gonna ask probing questions at least make them something that make sense.

Oh, I guess if I wanted to be a dick I could have refused to answer, right? I mean I don't HAVE to, correct?
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:58:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Are you serious? Are you 18 an never been pulled over before? Get the sand out of your vagina.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:59:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:01:14 AM EDT
[#10]
More than likely, he asks those questions to make sure that is your car, that you didn't steal it, and that you know your story...would you rather he just said "Thank you, have a nice day" if someone had stolen your car and he pulled them over...
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:02:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Are you serious? Are you 18 an never been pulled over before? Get the sand out of your vagina.

You ain't good at math, huh? Read my sigline––-I'm just a *little* past 18.

I kinda detest probing questions, especially assinine ones under obvious circumstances. If you actually READ what I wrote it should be apparent that it wasn't nighttime in the ghetto with a nervous-looking white guy refusing to pull over and smelling of booze.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:03:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
More than likely, he asks those questions to make sure that is your car, that you didn't steal it, and that you know your story...would you rather he just said "Thank you, have a nice day" if someone had stolen your car and he pulled them over...

Gee, I dunno––-maybe a driver license with a picture that matches the info he got when he ran the plate?

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:04:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Because he knows he is smarrter than a lowly civillian.

He's a master chess player- he's just toying with you- you are literally his little pawn.

You barely even know there's a game- but he's the master of it.

He'll be a gittin' to the bottom of any shennigans.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:05:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Brush up on your reading inference skills dude: I fucking KNOW he knew. My point is why the dumbass question, given the circumstances?

I'll brush up on my reading inference skills if you promise to think about the questions you are asking for............oh, I don't know.......5 seconds - before you ask them. You say you were in scrubs, obviously you have a job that requires at least a modicum of intelligence - and you can't formulate a guess as to why a cop would ask that question? SERIOUSLY? I really find that hard to believe. What I do believe is that it was somewhat of a shot at cops (albeit not as bad as most cop bashing threads on here).

As far as the "reason" - you can read the answers that have already been posted if you are having a difficult time figuring the whole "what county is that in" thing.

Just a little P.S - I'm going to assume you are a nurse/nurse aid/ or doctor (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). Have you ever asked a patient what could be construed as a silly ass question by the patient but YOU knew why you asked the question? That's probably not possible right?

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:05:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
<a href="http://img196.imageshack.us/i/crybaby.jpg/" target="_blank">http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/8185/crybaby.jpg</a>

Asking a question which you obviously can't answer. Ask those same stupid questions yourself, or just post douchebag replies with ghey pics?
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:06:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

This
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:07:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gee, I dunno––-maybe a driver license with a picutre that matches the info he got when he ran the plate?

don't hate the playa hate the game bro!  He asked you what county to see if you would start tweaking.  SOP, move along, nothing to see.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:08:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
<a href="http://img196.imageshack.us/i/crybaby.jpg/" target="_blank">http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/8185/crybaby.jpg</a>

And this...
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:09:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

This.

You might be surprised how many folks provide a little more suspicious behavior when their answer to a simple question like that is inconsistent, and how often it's led to arrests for a lot more than the original stop.

Okay, of all the dumb shit he could have asked, if the COUNTY is on the valid LICENSE PLATE and I have a valid DRIVER LICENSE, was I gonna be an imposter who stole some guy's vehicle, happens to look like him, and is faking his way to the hospital in his scrubs? I mean, seriously.......

And no, it's not cop-bashing. I freely admitted I'm guilty as charged. If you're gonna ask probing questions at least make them something that make sense.

Oh, I guess if I wanted to be a dick I could have refused to answer, right? I mean I don't HAVE to, correct?

Soooo,  you're saying he should change his SOP for these situations just for you, because you assume you were less suspicions than the next guy?  sounds a little selfish and naive to me....
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:10:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You ain't good at math, huh? Read my sigline––-I'm just a *little* past 18.

I kinda detest probing questions, especially assinine ones under obvious circumstances. If you actually READ what I wrote it should be apparent that it wasn't nighttime in the ghetto with a nervous-looking white guy refusing to pull over and smelling of booze.

Get real, if you thought my guess of your age was serious you have more problems than I thought you did.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:11:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

This.

Soooo,  you're saying he should change his SOP for these situations just for you, because you assume you were less suspicions than the next guy?  sounds a little selfish and naive to me....

Well, the speed limits obviously shouldn't apply to him...
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:11:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:12:47 AM EDT
[#23]
We don't ask questions to start small talk. We either know the answer already or we're watching your body language and listening to the tone of your voice to see what we can pick-up. Cops RARELY ask questions just to make conversation in investigative situations.

So your photo is on the valid license, big deal. Who cares? You don't know if someone in a similar looking vehicle has recently commited a crime. So if you're not a certified mind reader then lay-off. If you have no time in a patrol car then you don't know what cops really do and why.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:12:48 AM EDT
[#24]
Oh hell, OP you've done it now.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:13:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I lol'd...
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:13:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll brush up on my reading inference skills if you promise to think about the questions you are asking for............oh, I don't know.......5 seconds - before you ask them. You say you were in scrubs, obviously you have a job that requires at least a modicum of intelligence - and you can't formulate a guess as to why a cop would ask that question? SERIOUSLY? I really find that hard to believe. What I do believe is that it was somewhat of a shot at cops (albeit not as bad as most cop bashing threads on here).

As far as the "reason" - you can read the answers that have already been posted if you are having a difficult time figuring the whole "what county is that in" thing.

Just a little P.S - I'm going to assume you are a nurse/nurse aid/ or doctor (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). Have you ever asked a patient what could be construed as a silly ass question by the patient but YOU knew why you asked the question? That's probably not possible right?

My point is that of all the questions he could have asked––-none of which would have been exceptionally appropriate under the circumstances––-that had to be the most idiotic.

Once again for the reading impaired: Driver license that is valid WITH PICTURE. Ran license plates, also valid with info matching photo ID (driver license).

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:14:13 AM EDT
[#27]
Maybe he was giving you a chance to tell him something else. Did he ask you where you were going? Where you work? Ect? I have a tendency to give ER Dr's, nurses and staff a break. I have pulled over ER staff that were so tired they drove like a drunk after waking them up and getting thier attention I send em home. I have been treated in my area ER's 3 times. Maybe he was trying to get you to say something that would incline him to give you a break. I have pulled over people that I might have just given a warning to but they did not want one. Maybe he went to school with you or a member of your family, maybe you forgot him. Who can say? And I only write less than half the people I stop. I try to help educate drivers.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:14:41 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

This.

And <Edit Bama> as I clearly stated I was had. You jump to idiotic conclusions due to a thin-skinned whiney-ass "cop-basher" reaction (which this wasn't).

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:14:42 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My point is that of all the questions he could have asked––-none of which would have been exceptionally appropriate under the circumstances––-that had to be the most idiotic.

Once again for the reading impaired: Driver license that is valid WITH PICTURE. Ran license plates, also valid with info matching photo ID (driver license).

Like nobody's EVER made a fake ID
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:15:03 AM EDT
[#30]
Take a deep breath, count to ten and center yourself.

I'm sure it wasn't that big a deal, you're just pissed at yourself for speeding and getting busted for it.

You'll calm down in a bit and realize the Officer isn't who you're really angry with.

Have a nice day and drive safe.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:15:32 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Okay, I was speeding. Ya got me. Woohoo. 21 over as a matter of fact . To the tune of $229 as another matter of fact. Been 3 or 4 years since I've gotten one; time to use the cruise control more frequently again.

State Trooper comes around the bend, I see his brake lights come on and know I've been had. As he turns around I just pull over and wait. I don't even make him chase after me like I didn't know I was speeding or something. I was over on the shoulder waiting before he even got close to me, license in hand. He stops, takes damn near 5 minutes while he calls in my plates. He comes up to my passenger window, which is down and waiting. I hand him my license and he gives it a once-over.

Now, I'm in scrubs and I'm about a mile from the hospital. He just ran my plates, probably knows about my CCW too but doesn't even ask. Obviously I'm not wanted for anything and it is painfully obvious where I'm going.

Trooper: "Oh, you're from XXXX, huh? What county is that?"

Me: Looking at him for a second, mulling over a wise-ass answer. "It's in XXXX county."

Now, the county I live in is the next one over, about 15 minutes away. He's a fucking State Trooper, and runs the interstates for a living (although this was not on an interstate). My town is in fact one of the exits off the interstate he runs for a living. The guy is probably early 50's so he ain't a rookie; been doing this for awhile. Oh––-the icing on the cake: TN has a county sticker on the plate. You know, the one he just fucking ran!?

Why the stupid fucking question(s)? It was obvious I wasn't wanted, where I was going, hadn't been drinking, valid license and plates. Why the Johnny Detective dumb-ass questions? Are they all "junior detectives"?

Okay, ya got me. Just give me the ticket and spare me the probing "assume you're guilty of something" stupid questions.

Any LEO's care to speculate why such sillyness takes place? Keep in mind the situation as I describe it––-no ambiguity, pretty clear-cut circumstances.

The stupid questions were to make sure you were you, to make small talk and not just stand there like a robot, the damn near 5 minutes to run your plate could have been anything from slow computer to other troopers on the radio, and what is obvious to you is often not as obvious to other people.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:16:02 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sigh. You've already been told. He wasn't interested in what your answer was. He was interested in how you gave it.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:16:44 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

This.

And you're a moron as I clearly stated I was had.

Now I'm a moron, the cop's a moron, everybody but you is a moron
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:18:22 AM EDT
[#34]
Somehow, I'm not surprised he didn't give you a warning or cut you some slack.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:18:44 AM EDT
[#35]
I ran a stop sign in the city.

he knows I am not from the inner city and asked me why I did it

I didnt see it due to a tree in the way (no kidding)

I told him I was nervous about my new job, just wasnt payng attention etc.

He let me go.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:18:49 AM EDT
[#36]
....yawn....
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:19:05 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Getting that impression myself.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:19:15 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

This.

And you're a moron as I clearly stated I was had.

Now I'm a moron, the cop's a moron, everybody but you is a moron

Yep, basically.

The "junior detective G-man" act kills me. Save it for some meth-head.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:19:52 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:21:40 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

This.

If you didn't answer the questions his master dectective skills would have told him that you were up to no good.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:21:40 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

This.

If you didn't answer the questions his master dectective skills would have told him that you were up to no good.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:21:47 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

And why is that? He didn't read this post. I answered in a very non-chalant manner. In fact, Sherlock asked me if I'd been in the military given a couple of stickers I had, and asked if I worked at the hospital. I replied in the affirmative with "sir" in all my answers. Don't pre-suppose things. Oh, maybe you're a cop?

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:22:48 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Im inclined to drift in that direction.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:23:09 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Boy, we have some crystal-ball readers here, huh? Read just above. Everything respectful.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:23:09 AM EDT
[#45]
it's part of an interrogation technique for determining deceptive behavior.

you ask a simple question that the person should know off the top of their head and it either raises your suspicion (incorrect answer, correct answer with long delay or stuttering) or it sets the baseline for further questioning. Once the officer knows your mood, tone of voice, facial expression, etc when answering questions, any deviation could be seen as deceptive. for example you are irrate and rude, but as soon as the officer asks if you've been drinking, you calm down and respond "no, sir".

for it to work the questions have to be yes/no or simple one word answers (what's your DOB? where are you coming from? etc).
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:23:25 AM EDT
[#46]

"C4 is like silly putty, officer.  Bazookas are fun to shoot.  Suitcase nukes could fit in the trunk.  Have you stopped beating your wife, officer?"

"Davidson, no Sumner, no, no, I got it.  Robertson.  Am I close officer?"

"Are your probing questions better than my inane ones, officer?"

"Wow!  You caught up quick!  Are you some kinda idiot?    Remember, Son,  all of those lights won't save you if you get too stupid out here.  Have a nice day officer and be sure to slow down now."

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:23:42 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
The man was doing his job, give yourself and him a break, just be polite and cooperative, that will get it over with as soon as reasonably possible. I've been stopped a dozen or so times in my life, I was always polite and cooperative, and I have never gotten a ticket, even the time I was stopped for doing over 90 when the speed limit was 55, that technique isn't guaranteed to get you out of a ticket, but it does work more often than you might think!  Act like you are impatient or act like a jerk and you are almost guaranteed to get a ticket!

Actually, I was.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:24:03 AM EDT
[#48]
me at a roadblock, leaving my neighborhood

"where you coming from"
me: my house.  you stopped me in front of my subdivision
"lemme see your proof of ins, license, registration"
me: here, (hands him rental agreement papers and other stuff) "this isn't my car, it's a rental"
"oh, it's a rental?"
me: yes sir, i handed you the rental agreement.
"have a nice day"

me pulled over for 81 in a 65:
"license and registration please"
me: here's my license, and the rental agreement paperwork.
"Is this a rental?"
me: ....
"proof of insurance please"
me: it's a rental.  it's on the agreement.
"i'll be right back"
*ticketed*

me stopped in road block on labor day in front of subdivision again:
"license please"
me: here, and here's my insurance card.  I have a german shepherd in the back.
(he then peers in back of car and dog goes nuts)
"have a nice day"

and no, i don't live in a bad area.  it's like it's roadblock central though.  i show my papers roughly once a month.

i rent cars to travel for work, which is why i'm almost always in a rental....
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:24:04 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Take a deep breath, count to ten and center yourself.

I'm sure it wasn't that big a deal, you're just pissed at yourself for speeding and getting busted for it.

You'll calm down in a bit and realize the Officer isn't who you're really angry with.

Have a nice day and drive safe.

THIS..............................

Oh, and you've now made a complete ass of yourself on GD!!!!!!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:24:58 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Im inclined to drift in that direction.

The rocket science/mind reading is strong in this one......

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top