Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:26:23 AM EDT
[#1]
You don't have to answer any questions a cop asks you.

Always keep a voice recorder with you and record the entire conversation.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:26:43 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd be willing to bet that the O.P is exactly the type of person that is clocked going 75 mph in a 55 mph zone and then when the cop asks "do you know how fast you were going?" the OP says "about 60" and can't figure why the cop would ask a stupid question like that when the cop obviously knows how fast he was going.

Does someone need to explain this question and answer scenario as well? Or the fact that you admitted (on mic more than likely) to VBSL because you KNEW you were speeding but were trying to convince the cop that you were not going quite as fast as you really were.

It's not that hard dude, seriously.

Yes, the cop ran the plate and had the info. Yes, you provided him with an I.D. Both of which mean exactly SHIT to the cop. No, I don't care to explain any further why they don't mean anything.

Why do hospitals always want to stick shit in me and feel all over me if I come in for a headache? Why is that? Guess what, I'm not a Dr. or a nurse so I just go ahead and ASSUME you have a clue as to what the hell you are doing and the reasons for doing it. I don't discharge from the hospital with my knickers all twisted and post on a public forum that you guys are idiots for giving me an I.V for a headache or feeling on my stomach when it was my head that was hurting.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:27:04 AM EDT
[#3]
ABNAK.
You'll need one of these to dig yourself any deeper....
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:27:48 AM EDT
[#4]
to check your attitude and see your tone when telling the truth
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:27:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Some of these threads really spin out of control easily.   You gotta think about  that before you push the button.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:27:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Take a deep breath, count to ten and center yourself.

I'm sure it wasn't that big a deal, you're just pissed at yourself for speeding and getting busted for it.

You'll calm down in a bit and realize the Officer isn't who you're really angry with.

Have a nice day and drive safe.

THIS..............................

Oh, and you've now made a complete ass of yourself on GD!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hardly. Some of these arrogant, pre-supposing replies sure do though. Must've struck a nerve by suggesting that the junior-detective act is amusing and slightly annoying. Hurt some pride I guess.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:28:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Good idea for the tinfoil hat crowd!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:28:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Honestly just sounds like you're pissed because he caught ya.  These are pretty routine questions.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:28:47 AM EDT
[#9]
What type of work do you do at the hospital?
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:29:22 AM EDT
[#10]
this thread is about to go full retard.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:29:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Hide the dog.  NOW!

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:29:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'd be willing to bet that the O.P is exactly the type of person that is clocked going 75 mph in a 55 mph zone and then when the cop asks "do you know how fast you were going?" the OP says "about 60" and can't figure why the cop would ask a stupid question like that when the cop obviously knows how fast he was going.

Does someone need to explain this question and answer scenario as well? Or the fact that you admitted (on mic more than likely) to VBSL because you KNEW you were speeding but were trying to convince the cop that you were not going quite as fast as you really were.

Yes, the cop ran the plate and had the info. Yes, you provided him with an I.D. Both of which mean exactly SHIT to the cop. No, I don't care to explain any further why they don't mean anything.

Why do hospitals always want to stick shit in me and feel all over me if I come in for a headache? Why is that? Guess what, I'm not a Dr. or a nurse so I just go ahead and ASSUME you have a clue as to what the hell you are doing and the reasons for doing it. I don't discharge from the hospital with my knickers all twisted and post on a public forum that you guys are idiots for giving me an I.V for a headache or feeling on my stomach when it was my head that was hurting.

Your pussy is hurting, I know.

I made NO sweeping indictment of cops. Quite with the sensitivity shit.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:30:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm sure it wasn't that big a deal, you're just pissed at yourself for speeding and getting busted for it.

You'll calm down in a bit and realize the Officer isn't who you're really angry with.

Hardly. Some of these arrogant, pre-supposing replies sure do though. Must've struck a nerve by suggesting that the junior-detective act is amusing and slightly annoying. Hurt some pride I guess.

And your RANT wasn't one of the most arrogant, self-righteous, self-serving things written on the GD?????????????????  

Wow, you wear scrubs to work, well you could be the janitor or a Doctor or somewhere in between.............
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:32:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Some of these threads really spin out of control easily.   You gotta think about  that before you push the button.

I don't care, it was a legitimate question I asked––-the cop's, not so much.

And I'll stand here and piss with the Blue Line if they insist on implying I was rude or cop-bashing. I don't care. I've clearly spelled out the situation and was very polite with the cop. If they're overly sensitive about a peasant questioning their methods too fucking bad.  
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:33:41 AM EDT
[#15]
He should have asked you the air speed of a sparrow, and when you didn't

know the answer he should have shot your dog
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:34:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

And I'll stand here and piss with the Blue Line if they insist on implying I was rude or cop-bashing. I don't care. I've clearly spelled out the situation and was very polite with the cop. If they're overly sensitive about a peasant questioning their methods too fucking bad.  

You didn't actually question anything after your thread title, it was less asking and more "COPS ARE IDIOTS"
That is what i have gotten from this thread....
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:34:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Do you honestly think he didn't know the answer to the questions before he asked them?

All of the questions are asked for a reason, most are too ignorant to realize it and then spout off about how stupid a cop is.
The funny thing (at least to me) is that HE knew exactly what he was doing when he asked the question and YOU obviously don't............and that somehow makes him the stupid one?

This.

You might be surprised how many folks provide a little more suspicious behavior when their answer to a simple question like that is inconsistent, and how often it's led to arrests for a lot more than the original stop.

Okay, of all the dumb shit he could have asked, if the COUNTY is on the valid LICENSE PLATE and I have a valid DRIVER LICENSE, was I gonna be an imposter who stole some guy's vehicle, happens to look like him, and is faking his way to the hospital in his scrubs? I mean, seriously.......

And no, it's not cop-bashing. I freely admitted I'm guilty as charged. If you're gonna ask probing questions at least make them something that make sense.

Oh, I guess if I wanted to be a dick I could have refused to answer, right? I mean I don't HAVE to, correct?

Besides cracking the egg, your scrubs may mean a lot to you and assume them to me as well, but to be honest, a lot of professions wear them now vets and their techs, dentist, orthodontist ect. Now that being said I have gotten fresh stolens in all kinds of uniforms I popped a security guard in uniform leaving a school he worked for he had two warrants for agg. sexual assault of child and was working for a elementary. I also checked by with a traffic unit that had stopped an ambulance running lights so I ask him what was up because I knew him, and this was out of character for him turns out he had seen the ambulance 3 times in five minutes last time 85 mph in 30 mph and every time it was running lights, turns out the mechanic working on it was having fun with no personal on board, so before assuming that those questions are just a inconvenience we a have had experiences that make a suspicious. Next thing is the talk tells us a lot have you been drinking are you unusually nervous. By the way I have had drunk medic working the box show up to my scene before he was having to balance off of cars and the box, so I do not take anything for granted, so those questions allow me to better determine the lay of the land so to speak.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:35:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And your RANT wasn't one of the most arrogant, self-righteous, self-serving things written on the GD?????????????????  Wow, you wear scrubs to work, well you could be the janitor or a Doctor or somewhere in between.............

I NEVER implied I should have been given a break. I specifically stated that I was guilty as charged. Jeesh.....
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:35:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.  Give me the ticket & go fish somewhere else.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:36:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You didn't actually question anything after your thread title, it was less asking and more "COPS ARE IDIOTS"
That is what i have gotten from this thread....

Your cop tinfoil is too tight. Don't read into things.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:36:36 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah - it's me that has the hurt feelings. You thought you were going to have a moderately amusing post and get a few jabs in and the whole thing backfired becasue half of GD just pointed out how fucking ridiculous it is that you can't figure out why a cop would ask you a very basic question during the traffic stop.

Would his "junior detective" skills be ok with you if he said "have you killed anyone lately" or "have any drugs in your trunk".

Your post is a failure on your part. Not to worry, with a little common sense you should be able to redeem yourself in no time.

BTW - if you are a nurse or a doctor, thank you for helping people that need it. (See how fucking easy that was)

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:38:39 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:39:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:40:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah - it's me that has the hurt feelings. You thought you were going to have a moderately amusing post and get a few jabs in and the whole thing backfired becasue half of GD just pointed out how fucking ridiculous it is that you can't figure out why a cop would ask you a very basic question during the traffic stop.

Would his "junior detective" skills be ok with you if he said "have you killed anyone lately" or "have any drugs in your trunk".

Your post is a failure on your part. Not to worry, with a little common sense you should be able to redeem yourself in no time.

BTW - if you are a nurse or a doctor, thank you for helping people that need it. (See how fucking easy that was)

Bottom line? To someone who is not a scum meth-head or other criminal I found the question a bit over the top, that's all. Maybe if a little respect (not that he wasn't polite mind you) was shown by some LEO's and their hardened view of society put aside when appropriate then the rift out there might close a bit.

Oh, and thank you for facing society's idiots. Really.

Gotta go work out. Be back later.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:41:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Be back later.

Why bother...

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:42:06 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rather not say as I've referred to pt's before here (not by name) in threads and would not want to out myself. It's a pt-care, technical job.

Oh, never mind. I was a respiratory therapist for 17 years and have been in the sleep lab (for sleep apnea) for the last 2+ years.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:42:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Maybe he was giving you chance for extra credit.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:43:49 AM EDT
[#28]
Those are baseline questions.  They serve as a baseline to determine how someone reacts to a question, and how they answer it.  Like in a polygraph, they ask things like, is your name so and so?  Well yes, you know who I am, you are polygraphing me.  It is simply done as a way for someone to get an answer to a non-threatening (supposedly) question and see how they respond.  Nothing more, nothing less.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:44:07 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rather not say as I've referred to pt's before here (not by name) in threads and would not want to out myself. It's a pt-care, technical job.

Oh, never mind. I was a respiratory therapist for 17 years and have been in the sleep lab (for sleep apnea) for the last 2+ years.

Sleep apnea is a problem in my line of work. My co-workers appreciate the help.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:44:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Maybe has was gay, thought you were kinda cute and was hitting on you. You know, just making small talk.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:45:10 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Be back later.

Why bother...

my thoughts exactly.  Let this thread die, and let it be known that the OP is acting like a moran.

edit is now more CoC compliant
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:46:35 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Be back later.

Why bother...

my thoughts exactly.  Let this thread die, and let it be known that the OP is a moran.

OUCH, it's "M-O-R-O-N, not M-O-R-A-N  

Sometimes I love the GD!!!

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:47:57 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:48:04 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Be back later.

Why bother...

my thoughts exactly.  Let this thread die, and let it be known that the OP is a moran.

Someone post the pic
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:48:05 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
He asked you that question as a test, if you had not known then that would be a red flag. Possibly you had just stolen the car and it had not been reported yet.
I think that very seldon do the LEO's really ask a meanengless (sp) question.

A bit off topic... but you don't know how to spell meaningless?  Just break it down.  LESS is a suffix.  So what would meanen be?  Also, it's seldoM (not sure if it's a typo or not).
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:48:21 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In the course of your duties do you think you've ever asked a patient a question they found to be nonsensical or unnecessary?

Have you ever asked a patient a question in order to elicit a response that could help you reach a conclusion or gain insight into their condition?

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:49:15 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bottom line? To someone who is not a scum meth-head or other criminal I found the question a bit over the top, that's all. Maybe if a little respect (not that he wasn't polite mind you) was shown by some LEO's and their hardened view of society put aside when appropriate then the rift out there might close a bit.

Oh, and thank you for facing society's idiots. Really.

Gotta go work out. Be back later.

Bad guys don't always look like they do on TV ya know...

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:49:28 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
He asked you that question as a test, if you had not known then that would be a red flag. Possibly you had just stolen the car and it had not been reported yet.
I think that very seldon do the LEO's really ask a meanengless (sp) question.

A bit off topic... but you don't know how to spell meaningless?  Just break it down.  LESS is a suffix.  So what would meanen be?  Also, it's seldoM (not sure if it's a typo or not).

Sampling the experimental drugs, methinks....
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:49:58 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Somehow, I'm not surprised he didn't give you a warning or cut you some slack.

And why is that? He didn't read this post. I answered in a very non-chalant manner. In fact, Sherlock asked me if I'd been in the military given a couple of stickers I had, and asked if I worked at the hospital. I replied in the affirmative with "sir" in all my answers. Don't pre-suppose things. Oh, maybe you're a cop?

Probably this gave a hint:  
Keep in mind the situation as I describe it–

Given that, and the fact that you describe it in a pretty derogatory way, people might assume you act in real life like you are acting here.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:50:56 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:51:17 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Better check your laws.  In some states you can be arrested for the recording unless you have consent.    

Bucky145

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:51:38 AM EDT
[#42]
Hopefully he will show up at your Hospital someday and you will be able to exact your revenge
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:52:02 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Be back later.

Why bother...

I spelled it incorrectly for comedic effect, tyvm.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:53:18 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:53:31 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Be back later.

Why bother...

LOL, Okay you get a pass on that one!!

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:57:49 AM EDT
[#46]
What would have happened if you had answered the question incorrectly?  could you get in trouble or just have to deal with further checks to make sure you are who you say you are?
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:58:22 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Be back later.

Why bother...

LOL, Okay you get a pass on that one!!

my girlfriend asked me why I said something was "unpossible" and I responded that she should read this very website for the answer to that.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 11:03:36 AM EDT
[#48]
My last post in this ridiculous thread.

Here is something to think about for those that have never ridden in a squad or done the job. In almost every thing you do as a P.O, half of the people will agree with it and the other half won't. That probably sounds idiotic, but let me explain.

Hypothetical #1
I am behind a car that is being operated in a way that leads me to suspect the operator is impaired and it's 2:55 pm, 4 blocks from an elementary school and school is let out at 3:00 pm. I hit the lights and the vehicle accelerates WELL past the speed limit failing to yield while approaching the school. Do you as a non LEO think I should continue pursuit or end the pursuit? The answer is very easy to give AFTER the fact. Here's why; If I continue the pursuit in an attempt to stop the driver before getting to the school and I am unsuccessful and the driver plows through a group of kids - everyone will say that I should have called off the chase. If I stop pursuit hoping the person will slow down before getting to the school and he still plows into a group of kids - everyone will say I should have done more to stop him.

Hypothetical #2.
I'm the same cop in the same town as the OP. The very next day I pull a vehicle over for speeding exactly as I did the OP. I run the plates and they come back clean. I ask for license, reg & ins. and they all check out. The pic on the ID resembles the driver. I don't ask ANY questions and write the driver a ticket for VBSL and go about my business. 30 minutes later the driver of that vehicle kills 30 people at a mall with his evil black rifle that was in the trunk along with a case of grenades and bricks of C4. It is later determined that 15 mins before I stopped that vehicle the driver killed the actual owner of the vehicle and took his wallet. The driver happens to closely resemble the murdered victim. Anyone care to guess what the headlines in the paper will be the next day?

"TRAGEDY COULD HAVE BEEN AVOIDED"

ABCD news learned that the suspect in the mass killings was stopped by a city of xyz police officer just 30 minutes before the heinous act.............and let go.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 11:05:32 AM EDT
[#49]
Few things make my day beter than some random stranger with a savior-complex asking pointless questions and wanting to sift thorugh my personal effects.

(I have found that telling the cops you're having a really shitty day and don't want to talk to anyone works pretty well.)
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 11:05:35 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

it's part of an interrogation technique for determining deceptive behavior.

you ask a simple question that the person should know off the top of their head and it either raises your suspicion (incorrect answer, correct answer with long delay or stuttering) or it sets the baseline for further questioning. Once the officer knows your mood, tone of voice, facial expression, etc when answering questions, any deviation could be seen as deceptive. for example you are irrate and rude, but as soon as the officer asks if you've been drinking, you calm down and respond "no, sir".

for it to work the questions have to be yes/no or simple one word answers (what's your DOB? where are you coming from? etc).

This.  It allows them to figure out if they're wasting everyone's time on the stop.  Time is money, ya know.

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top