Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 3:03:08 PM EDT
[#1]
This topic was so scared of being associated with Detroit, it left page 1 to go to page 2 where it is safer.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 3:07:17 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

This topic was so scared of being associated with Detroit, it left page 1 to go to page 2 where it is safer.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 3:08:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Detroit is FUCKED UP.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 3:09:30 PM EDT
[#4]
it was detriot and the abandoned police station was probably highland park. highland park is completely encircled by Detroit and actually has a police dept again now
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 3:10:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Chicago is actually a pretty nice city to visit.  I went there a couple years ago and it seemed nice.  Went on the architecture river tour, the Shedd Aquarium and the planetarium all pretty interesting.  Detroit on the other hand is a hell hole.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 3:50:17 PM EDT
[#6]
While the city of Detroit is a shit hole, SE Michigan outside of the city is a pretty nice place. Traffic is not nearly as bad as Chicagoland. You can actually own and carry guns in Detroit and the surrounding areas. For the amount of time it takes you to simply drive across Chicago, let alone the burbs, you can be out in the country in the Detroit metro area.  We actually have trees and nature in SE Michigan.

As I mentioned earlier, my oldest son lives in Chicago. He likes the city but  misses Michigan.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 3:52:16 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Detroit

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 3:56:33 PM EDT
[#8]
I would much rather visit, or live in Detroit than Chicago. Even if it is a sewer, at least one can own guns.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 4:05:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Chicago's a pansy town compared to Bodymore, but Detroit takes the cake.

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 4:08:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Detroit.

However, I think Detroit is just an advanced form of Chicago. Detroit 1950s to 1960s is about where Chicago is now. Don't forget Detroit used to have twice the population and had an "upside" too at one point. Liberalism just festered more, and faster there, so it reached the endgame sooner. All liberal cities are headed for Detroit eventually.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 4:09:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Got to be detroit.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 4:10:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 4:19:56 PM EDT
[#13]
I heard about this contest, the prizes were:

FIRST PLACE - 1 week paid vacation in downtown Detroit

SECOND PLACE - 2 weeks paid vacation in downtown Detroit
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 4:20:46 PM EDT
[#14]

So can we go pheasant hunting in detroit?
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 4:22:43 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Have you ever been to either?

Chicago is a modern and rather safe city (Sure it has bad areas like every city on the planet). It is basically a mini-NYC. Detroit is an economical disaster, a 3rd world city in America. I've been in Chicago twice in the last week, I was at Wrigley Field last night, great area other than all the savage Cubs fans, being one of two people wearing a Brewers shirt in the entire stadium is a lonely feeling

You would have thought ARFCOM had prepared you for that feeling.  

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 4:56:27 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I was at Wrigley Field last night, great area other than all the savage Cubs fans, being one of two people wearing a Brewers shirt in the entire stadium is a lonely feeling

You must not be that cute.  The only thing savage about most Cubs fans is their opinion of your shoes.

Chicago's no Detroit, but despicable in its own way.  Okay to visit, if you've got money to flush on 10% sales tax and Miller High Lifes that cost as much as beer that comes from European microbreweries in any other Midwestern town.  Expect it to cost more if their harebrained bid for the Olympics is entertained a second longer.  Remarkably shallow music and culture compared to most cities similarly situated.  After you leave the trendy areas, it's shit until you get a few suburbs out, which takes two hours.  "But what about Oak Park, or Lincolnwood?"  Overpriced, aging crap where jagoff yuppies consider the invading hood rats "a triumph of diversity."  The sweaty, unprofessional mess that is Daley machine can eat a dick.  The only people with a right to self-defense are crooks, to include the politicians from Durbin all the way down to ACORN-loving aldermen.  I would even say the average crowd is way douchier and entitled than when I started sneaking into bars way back during high school, but it might just be my rising awareness and falling tolerance for such.  But yeah, no abandoned police stations I'm aware of.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:53:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Chicago used to be a royal shithole.  But the politicians were smart-they wanted to reduce crime in Chicago.  The Robert Taylor homes were razed & the street thugs who lived there moved out of town.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:14:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Chicago has a few redeeming factors at least..

Beyond a sports team or two, there is ZERO in the city of Detriot.. You have to have a Infantry and Armor Platoon with you just to not get shot/killed in most of the city. It is what the US will look like in all major cities if the free handouts keep coming.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:18:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Both.....................
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:23:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

So can we go pheasant hunting in detroit?

It was interesting to me that they felt the beaver was a sign of perseverance and starting over...

Wildlife is taking over what was one of the most developed and industrialized urban areas in the world... and there were cheers and applause.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:24:36 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Ok so im visiting my dad in wisconsin and he said that he was going to take me on a bus trip tomorrow to see chicago. I told him that Arfcom has been posting photos of desolate barren towns with houses falling down and burned out cars in the street. He said that i had to be crazy and must be thinking about detroit.

Which town has been the central attraction of arfcoms scorn for the past few months.

It was the one that showed the abandonded police station.

That's Detroit...

And it's way more messed up that Chicago...

Chicago has always had a very diverse economy, as a center of finance, retail, transportation, and many other sectors...

Unlke Detroit...

Which is why Chicago is doing 'OK' as major cities go, whereas Detroit is dying...

Having a 'one track' economy killed Detroit...

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:30:23 PM EDT
[#22]
I feel safer in Detroit than I do in Chicago

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:49:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I know carry is legal in Michigan, but does that extend to the People's Republic of Detroit?
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 11:42:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Detroit

http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/1900/28chart450y.jpg

But I'm sure race has nothing to do with it.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 11:46:04 PM EDT
[#25]
I was born and raised in Detroit.
I moved as soon as I could afford to.

I went to party in the city at a friend's apartment.
My buddies are bad asses.  We all fought growing up
most did a lot of martial arts training.
At this party someone didn't lock the door when
the mistake was discovered there was a paniced
race to secure the door.

In a nutshell you are not safe in your home.

Here is a video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9YmIpzXFoM

Never been to chi-town so I can't compare.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 11:47:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know carry is legal in Michigan, but does that extend to the People's Republic of Detroit?

Yes you can CCW in Detroit.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 11:49:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Of course it does.  The whole "People's Republic" thing kinda falls flat when used for Detroit.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:49:32 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

As mentioned a few times in this thread you can carry in Detroit.  Michigan has preemption where localities can't trump the existing state laws regarding firearms.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:06:59 AM EDT
[#29]
Detroit by a long shot.

Detroit is dead.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:25:07 AM EDT
[#30]
When it comes to shitholes major cities in the US - Detroit cannot be beat!
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:37:42 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Detroit.

However, I think Detroit is just an advanced form of Chicago. Detroit 1950s to 1960s is about where Chicago is now. Don't forget Detroit used to have twice the population and had an "upside" too at one point. Liberalism just festered more, and faster there, so it reached the endgame sooner. All liberal cities are headed for Detroit eventually.

Bingo. With myself included, many predict Chicago will look like Detroit in another 20/30 years. The outrageous uptick in housing prices and the vast unemployment will begin to take it's toll. The Chicago area used to be great in the sense that 20 years ago you could quit your job in the morning and have a new one by afternoon. Chicago used to be a tough blue collar, hard working industrial area. It is now a haven for liberals and nimby's.

The Chicago area at large is decaying by the day as Daley closes down more and more section 8 housing, sending the tenants into the outlying areas which is ruining the entire area.

It's a shame, Chicago used to be a great place. It is definitely on the decline. I have multi-generation roots in Chicago and being only 36 years old I can tell you it has changed a lot, for the worse in the past 20 or so years.

Unemployment in the Chicago area is very high 12%+
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:39:14 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Chicago used to be a royal shithole.  But the politicians were smart-they wanted to reduce crime in Chicago.  The Robert Taylor homes were razed & the street thugs who lived there moved out of town.

I live 8 miles from the Wisconsin border. The thugs who lived there have been spread out all the way into Wisconsin. Chicago is still a major shithole, the big difference now is that Daley has destroyed what used to be nice outlying areas with liberal social engineering.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:42:14 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Ok so im visiting my dad in wisconsin and he said that he was going to take me on a bus trip tomorrow to see chicago. I told him that Arfcom has been posting photos of desolate barren towns with houses falling down and burned out cars in the street. He said that i had to be crazy and must be thinking about detroit.

Which town has been the central attraction of arfcoms scorn for the past few months.

Hands down, Detroit is the most fucked up city in the "F.U.S." (Free United 46 States) (Please help me if got the numerics wrong).  On the other hand, you cannot posses a handgun while in Chicago & the police there, Don't "really" know where the city limits end...

Pathfinder
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:42:14 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Quoted:

That's Detroit...

And it's way more messed up that Chicago...

Chicago has always had a very diverse economy, as a center of finance, retail, transportation, and many other sectors...

Unlke Detroit...

Which is why Chicago is doing 'OK' as major cities go, whereas Detroit is dying...

Having a 'one track' economy killed Detroit...

Economically, Chicagoland is dying. Like you said, a "one track" economy will not work, vindicating my years of arguments on this board that we cannot be a nation of office workers. Chicago has become a city of office workers. Unemployment is very high, foreclosures are everywhere and there are...........no jobs.

Chicagoland is on the decline. "Chicago" stretches way beyond the limits of Chicago proper. The suburbs used to be a power house of manufacturing, powerhouse. It is wasteland now. It's sad.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:45:25 AM EDT
[#35]
Chicago is pretty nice. I don't think this is even a fair comparison. The only major city I can think of that compares with Detroit is Philly.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:49:09 AM EDT
[#36]
the big D ftw
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:17:38 AM EDT
[#37]
CLEVELAND =  hey at least were not DETROIT
i know a few who have this tshirt   and thats how its spelled on it

i have lived in shitcago and detroit and now i am in cleveland
i guess i am trying to live in all the shitholes of the midwest
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:34:32 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Yeah I had to take a ride once down Pearl from I-71 to Brookpark.  The Rock Hall is nice though.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:45:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Jesus. Masochism much?
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:31:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
it was detriot and the abandoned police station was probably highland park. highland park is completely encircled by Detroit and actually has a police dept again now

Incidentally Chicago also has a suburb named "Highland Park", it is quite wealthy in fact. See, Chicago is the anti-Detroit.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:35:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I live 8 miles from the Wisconsin border. The thugs who lived there have been spread out all the way into Wisconsin. Chicago is still a major shithole, the big difference now is that Daley has destroyed what used to be nice outlying areas with liberal social engineering.

8 miles from the border? That puts you in what, Waukegan or Gurnee? Yeah, no wonder your opinion of the area sucks. Chicago is a major financial center, it isn't going anywhere.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 11:46:25 PM EDT
[#42]
So your Dad thinks taking the bus to chicago is ok, how many people anywhere would want to take the bus to Detroit.  I think that you can find the answer right there.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top