Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 12:11:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Just thought I'd get the GD's opinion on which is better and why.

870 Express Tactical Riot, or the 590 Persuader. They are close enough on price that it doesn't matter. They weigh the same. The Persuader has a 20" barrel with 8 2 3/4 capacity as opposed to the 870 with an 18" barrel and a capacity of 6.

What say ye?

Ithaca 37!
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 12:12:24 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

steel vs aluminum. In my book the 870 steel receiver wins over aluminum or plastic.

That shows you don't know anything about either.  On both, the bolt locks into an extension on the barrel.  Steel on steel for either design.  You could make a receiver out of paper mache and it wouldn't matter because the locking is steel on steel.  Aluminum is lighter and it can't rust, a common problem with the 870.

The 870, well it depends on the finish for rusting (as well as the finish on any gun's steel parts).

I was so used to running around with ARs that didn't rust that when I got back from hunting with my 870 one year I just wiped the water off and put it in the case for the ride home.  She was a mess when I pulled her out a day later.  

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 12:13:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I think the Mossberg has a number of advantages as a tactical shotgun, which is covered pretty well here:  http://www.members.tripod.com/~jth8260/870.html.  For me, the biggest advantage is the location of the slide release and safety on the Mossberg and the fact that it has two ejectors.  Personally I use a Remington, just because that is the manual of arms I am familiar with.

Some say that Remington has better quality.  I have purchased a number of shotguns from both companies, and have never had any problems with either.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 12:13:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Both are nice shotguns but I prefer the 870 even though I am a lefty. Especially since I found a left hand conversion safety.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 12:17:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I think both are good shotguns. I have both, but being a "Lefty", the ergonomics of the my 590A1 works better for me......
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 12:24:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
steel vs aluminum. In my book the 870 steel receiver wins over aluminum or plastic.

That shows you don't know anything about either.  On both, the bolt locks into an extension on the barrel.  Steel on steel for either design.  You could make a receiver out of paper mache and it wouldn't matter because the locking is steel on steel.  Aluminum is lighter and it can't rust, a common problem with the 870.

This is similar to the, "Who wants a plastic gun?" comments in reference to polymer pistols...which, of course, represents a complete lack of understanding of both the material and what it's expected to do.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 12:26:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Love my 870!! First gun i ever bought.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 12:30:08 PM EDT
[#8]
870 by far.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 12:30:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Owned an 870 years ago was a great gun.

My buddy owns a 870 that he uses as a duck gun.  Never cleaned it and has been using it for trap/duck for over 10 years.  He lubes it up every now and again.  Runs like a top according to him.

Not much experience with the Mossy besides shooting a buddies.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 12:32:33 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What a bunch of crap. What is Mossberg's problem? I guess their lawyers tell them to say that to keep them from being liable for idiots.

Remington won't do it either, go a head and try to order a part for the trigger group.

Remington sent me a complete trigger group for my 597, so I don't know what you're talking about.

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 12:38:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Mossbergs are junk compared to Remingtons.

Why? I've never owned a remington shotgun. What makes them better?

As far as the 870 goes, they aren't made from fragile parts, they aren't all loosy-goosy, they don't fall apart, they don't have extraction problems...

Not to mention that piece of shit tang safety breaks in a home defense situation, if you're lucky it renders the gun inoperable unsafe, if you're unlucky, it makes it unsafe inoperable.

I get it depends on your situation.  The 500 this happened to me on was a field gun, a hunting gun, I can live with it going down in the field, I can't live with it going off at an inopportune time because it caught a twig or branch.

Fuck, I just looked and it's still where I put it, in a box, 10 years ago.  I was 19 when this happened, I had emailed Mossberg about sending me the parts to fix it, and they refused because I wasn't a gun smith.  So I put it in a box and bought an 870.

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn203/kuraki556/Untitled-1.jpg

Maybe I'll try and fix it now that I have a little more knowledge and resources for parts.  Save it for a beater truck gun.

The debate is between the 590 and the 870.  That's a 500.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 12:39:10 PM EDT
[#12]
I own the cheapest mossberg made, a Maverick and I can say that I beat the shit out of it, put alot of shells through it and it hasn't failed me once. I had one jam when I put a shell in backwards like a moran. Its not like the 870 is a bad shotgun. I like my Mossberg, though. But people tend to just pick the more expensive gun/part in polls like these. Mossberg got rid of the single rail shit awhile ago, even the maverick has two.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 12:39:52 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a 590 special purpose and an 870 police.  I personally like the 590 better for the controls and extra capacity.

However both are great weapons and has its pros and cons.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 12:40:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The safety on my 590 broke at a three gun shoot. I had to press the safety forward with my thumb or it would not fire. I found out here afterwards that this is a common problem with Mossbergs and there are aftermarket metal safeties that do not malfunction. If it had been for real at a minimum I would have had to abandon the shotgun and use a pistol, if all you had was a 590 it'd be a good way to get dead.

870 also has a better placement of the safety (well for righties at least, I guess). I'd look around for a used Wingmaster instead of an Express (the cheapo line) although my 870 that I hunt with is an Express and it has been fine.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=1&t=282166

Was it a 590A1?
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 12:41:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Remington won't do it either, go a head and try to order a part for the trigger group.

Remington sent me a complete trigger group for my 597, so I don't know what you're talking about.

"Complete trigger group" != "Part for the trigger group".
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 12:45:42 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I called them, with the parts list in my hand, they said "Which parts would you like?"  To which I replied, "This one and this one and this one."  They would have given me any combination I asked for.

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 12:47:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 12:48:31 PM EDT
[#18]
I want an old, wood stock parkerized 870 police "riot gun" and a 590A1.

Or, get both.

P.S. I have an 870 Marine Magnum, two old Wingmasters that were my grandfather's (16 and 20 gauge) and a Westernfield (Mossberg) 500A.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 12:59:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I went with Remington only for the reason that I have had jamming issues with mossbergs.

I believe the big selling point is that the 870 uses two slide bars for the pump and the Mossberg only one.

Isn't that what Mossy owners used to say about the 870??? Mossbergs have two slide bars. The parts aren't all delicate and breakable, and they eject just fine. Jesus, some of the shit you guys post is wild.

The older Mossbergs have a single slide bar and I guess Mossberg has since updated to the two bar design, to keep it from binding (common complaint).

They updated at least in the mid-80s! Good grief,what kind of ancient Mossbergs are you guys finding? Only Mossberg's crappy rebranded Maverick line has had single action bars in the last 25 years or so.  Even my bargain basement mid 80s Mossy 500 Sporter has dual action bars (and I might add,an aluminum safety,which is what they used for years before they switched to plastic). If there's a point about Mossberg 500s that is annoying,it's the plastic trigger guard assembly. Anyway,the original question is the 590/590A1,which is a completely different animal that has always had dual action bars,a completely different magazine tube design,aluminum trigger guard (590A1)and a different barrel style.

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 1:09:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Mossberg.

The tang safety does it for me.  

Had a Remmy, trigger safeties are the suck.  Otherwise, it's good gun.

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 1:09:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Depends on your intended use. The Mossberg 590 is a dedicated combat shotgun. The 870 is so modular that it can be a hunting shotgun or a combat shotgun with some easy parts changing. I own both, and I like the action of the Mossberg better, but the fit, and finish of my 870P is far better than my 590A1.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 1:18:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

What a bunch of crap. What is Mossberg's problem? I guess their lawyers tell them to say that to keep them from being liable for idiots.

RIF I said a PART for the trigger group. They will send you a COMPLETE trigger group with no problems. Trust me this gunsmith knows what he is talking about
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 1:19:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I called them, with the parts list in my hand, they said "Which parts would you like?"  To which I replied, "This one and this one and this one."  They would have given me any combination I asked for.

No they wouldn't have
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 4:48:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
i own mossy's and rem's in a couple of different flavors - both mossberg and remington make good shotguns - you will not be dissapointed with either

This.  

I own both and use both regularly.  

You will not be disappointed with either.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 4:49:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

BS
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 4:51:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Remington 870 the pinnacle of the HD shotgun.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 4:51:52 PM EDT
[#27]
I can only speak about the Remington 870, but the ones I've used worked perfectly.  A lot more recoil than an 1100 though.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 4:52:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
870 - just a better made shotgun.

What makes yo say that?
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 4:53:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why? I've never owned a remington shotgun. What makes them better?

As far as the 870 goes, they aren't made from fragile parts, they aren't all loosy-goosy, they don't fall apart, they don't have extraction problems...

Not to mention that piece of shit tang safety breaks, if you're lucky it renders the gun inoperable, if you're unlucky, it makes it unsafe.

I bought a 20 gauge mossberg for $40 with no buttstock and a broken safety button. The safety still worked fine, just hard to use.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 4:54:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I went with Remington only for the reason that I have had jamming issues with mossbergs.

I believe the big selling point is that the 870 uses two slide bars for the pump and the Mossberg only one.

Isn't that what Mossy owners used to say about the 870??? Mossbergs have two slide bars. The parts aren't all delicate and breakable, and they eject just fine. Jesus, some of the shit you guys post is wild.

The 870 has always been made with dual action bars. The mossberg used to only be made with one.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 4:55:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I own both and can honestly say that is NOT the case with the ones I own.

Wingmaster or express? The express uses more stamped parts and doesn't get the same level of fitting a wingmaster does.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 4:57:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Been skeet shooting with a couple freinds that were shooting Mossbergs, one a 12 ga, the other a 20ga. They were both having the problem of a live round being pumped out of the mag. tube and flying out the ejection port. Then you pull the trigger on an empty chamber. That's got to be the loudest click in the world.

At first I thought they were short stroking and not getting one out of the mag, so I stood were I could really watch them and saw the live round come out right behind the hull. This happened at least 10 times in 200 rounds, from two different 500's. I lost a lot of faith in 500's that day.
I would love to know if that is a common problem.

I've been told here on arfcom that mossbergs never did that, but every one my father, uncle, or myself have owned did it if you ran the action hard.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 4:58:27 PM EDT
[#33]
"pie" for you'll be happy with either
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 5:00:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, this shows that you actually DONT KNOW SHIT.

See, I just fixed a broken mossburg 500 for a friend.... the receiver was severely scarred (from the steel bolt and carrier grinding back and forth) on the inside, to the point of hindering function.  The parts have given the aluminum receiver A SERIOUS BEATING.

This was only part of the guns problems....

I've owned a 590, and thought it a good gun....

.... before seeing what serious use will do to a Mossy...  

After seeing this... for me it's steel Remingtons from now on...
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 5:03:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 5:04:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Love my 870!! First gun i ever bought.

That does not make it better
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 5:20:14 PM EDT
[#37]
My opinion: The Wingmaster is a much  better made shotgun, the Express is still a darn good shotgun, the Mossburg is rattly and feels cheap.

I have used all three for hunting in the field. I sold the Mossburg to by a Wingmaster.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 5:24:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Get both (of course).

I own both, and like shooting both designs. They are both quite reliable.

I like shooting my Mossberg more, but it's really just a matter of personal preference.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 5:26:32 PM EDT
[#39]

Solid steal.

3" magnum.

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 5:27:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 5:30:20 PM EDT
[#41]
Every time I have seen a pump gun lock up, its been a mossberg.  

I don't like the safety placement or operation on the 870.  I didn't like how cheaply made my 870 express seemed.  But I got a hold of a genuine 870 police magnum and its every bit the work of art I was hoping for in the first place.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 5:31:11 PM EDT
[#42]
so much Mossberg hate ! someone needs to tell the Marines their 590A1s suck ass.

OP go with the Mossy The 870 express Tactical has QC issues

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 5:33:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
The safety on my 590 broke at a three gun shoot. I had to press the safety forward with my thumb or it would not fire. I found out here afterwards that this is a common problem with Mossbergs and there are aftermarket metal safeties that do not malfunction. If it had been for real at a minimum I would have had to abandon the shotgun and use a pistol, if all you had was a 590 it'd be a good way to get dead.

870 also has a better placement of the safety (well for righties at least, I guess). I'd look around for a used Wingmaster instead of an Express (the cheapo line) although my 870 that I hunt with is an Express and it has been fine.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=1&t=282166

Was it a 590A1?

I think it's a regular 590, but I'll have to look

No there is a difference ! about the same as a 870 and 870P .
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 5:49:19 PM EDT
[#44]
get both oh wait never mind get 2 870's
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 6:00:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I own both and can honestly say that is NOT the case with the ones I own.

Wingmaster or express? The express uses more stamped parts and doesn't get the same level of fitting a wingmaster does.

Express
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 6:03:13 PM EDT
[#46]
I have two Mossberg 500s. One is older than I am (23 years) and the other is relatively new. I have shot thousands upon thousands of rounds out of both(more so the older one of course) and have not had any problems what so ever. My father has a Remington 870 and I just dont like how they feel and where the safety is but I'm use to something else.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 6:04:42 PM EDT
[#47]

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 6:05:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
so much Mossberg hate ! someone needs to tell the Marines their 590A1s suck ass.

OP go with the Mossy The 870 express Tactical has QC issues

http://i542.photobucket.com/albums/gg428/mcwherterj_photos/IMG_0075_0498.jpg

Well to be fair, everyone knows that the armchair commandos here put their guns through more abuse shooting at the range on the weekends than the Marines fighting overseas.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 6:47:48 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, this shows that you actually DONT KNOW SHIT.

See, I just fixed a broken mossburg 500 for a friend.... the receiver was severely scarred (from the steel bolt and carrier grinding back and forth) on the inside, to the point of hindering function.  The parts have given the aluminum receiver A SERIOUS BEATING.

This was only part of the guns problems....

I've owned a 590, and thought it a good gun....

.... before seeing what serious use will do to a Mossy...  

After seeing this... for me it's steel Remingtons from now on...

Did he never oil it or clean it or something? FWIW there are plenty of heavily used AR15s out there with aluminum receivers that run just fine. My guess is the breakdown had less to do with the materials used and more to do with the lack of proper maintenance.

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 6:51:10 PM EDT
[#50]
870 hands down.

A sleaker weapon, cleaner lines and superior manufacturing.

And I don't even like shotguns that much.

But yeah, 870 is a nice shotgun.

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top