Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 8:04:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Mossberg. I like the location of the safety and slide release. Quicker and easier to work. I've had both and there is no wrong answer-they're both great, but I like the Mossberg better.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 8:11:35 PM EDT
[#2]
We beat the shit out of both of them in the Marines. The 590 is slightly more robust and reliable. I would go with the 590 unless I wanted a pistol grip full stock. The location of the safety on the 590 works great on the original fixed stock or a pistol grip only version. It is completely in the wrong location for a full pistol grip stock like the Pachmayr.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 8:21:23 AM EDT
[#3]
I've gotta say that the whole Marine thing is carrying some weight with me, seeing as how they are about the same price point. I would like to know the thought process the DoD followed or if it was strictly a monetary (low-bid) decision.

ETA I am not in the market for a hunting gun...this is strictly for "defense" use.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 8:54:42 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a 'high mileage' 870.

Its never given me any issues, aside from using cheap ammo.  

Its been shot, abused, left in a swamp for a week, modified, and pretty much beat on for most of its life.  

And it still goes bang every time.  its the only weapon I really honestly trust my life to.  I'm not saying the Mossbergs are junk, but I just don;t think they would have held up to the abuse my 870 has.  

And while the Mossberg fanclub screams USMC uses 590's, keep in mind they used the 870 before that, and that 90%+ of all LE agencies in the nation use the 870.  There's a good reason for that, and its not because of the price. . .
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 10:33:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Mossberg. I like the location of the safety and slide release. Quicker and easier to work. I've had both and there is no wrong answer-they're both great, but I like the Mossberg better.

im with you and the lefties. hate remington.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 10:34:21 AM EDT
[#6]
590 is more rugged.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 10:47:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
steel vs aluminum. In my book the 870 steel receiver wins over aluminum or plastic.

That shows you don't know anything about either.  On both, the bolt locks into an extension on the barrel.  Steel on steel for either design.  You could make a receiver out of paper mache and it wouldn't matter because the locking is steel on steel.  Aluminum is lighter and it can't rust, a common problem with the 870.

Well, this shows that you actually DONT KNOW SHIT.

See, I just fixed a broken mossburg 500 for a friend.... the receiver was severely scarred (from the steel bolt and carrier grinding back and forth) on the inside, to the point of hindering function.  The parts have given the aluminum receiver A SERIOUS BEATING.

This was only part of the guns problems....

I've owned a 590, and thought it a good gun....

.... before seeing what serious use will do to a Mossy...  

After seeing this... for me it's steel Remingtons from now on...

Did he never oil it or clean it or something? FWIW there are plenty of heavily used AR15s out there with aluminum receivers that run just fine. My guess is the breakdown had less to do with the materials used and more to do with the lack of proper maintenance.

it's called personal opinion. i like the feel and weight of steel guns.  I don't mistreat my guns, so rust is not a concern.  There would be a concern about aluminum to steel contact if the gun is in a corrosive environment anyway.  Polymer guns are fine, I just hate the feel and look.  It comes off as cheap.   steel is stronger than aluminum or polymer, it just weighs more.

go ahead and make yourself a paper mache 870 receiver or Mossy...let me know how that works out for you
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 10:57:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Years ago, I went to Bass Pro Shop, and I looked at the Remington 870 and the Mossberg 500 side by side.

It seemed like the workmanship of the 870 was better.

However, I still went ahead and bought the 590. I like the position of the safety on the Mossberg over that of the Remington.

What really sold me on the Mossberg 590 was it was ready to go out of the box; making it an affordable tactical shotgun.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 11:07:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I've gotta say that the whole Marine thing is carrying some weight with me, seeing as how they are about the same price point. I would like to know the thought process the DoD followed or if it was strictly a monetary (low-bid) decision.

ETA I am not in the market for a hunting gun...this is strictly for "defense" use.

This is the Marine Corps not DoD. The Corps said they wanted to replace all their aging 870's and they outlined their criteria based on their usage/projected usage as well as the shortcomings found with the 870. They accepted all takers then ran them through the ringer and the 590 came out on top. Pure and simple (from what little I remember).

They later went to the JSCS/M1014 from Bellini but that failed so miserably in Iraq and Astan they hauled out every pump they could find in their far-flung armories and sent them into theater.

But that's another story.

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 11:10:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

1) The USMC has utilized 870s.
2) The Remington 870 was not involved in the military mil-spec tests - therefore the 590 couldn't have "beat" it.
3) The Marines have since replaced the 590 as their official combat shotgun with the Benelli M1014.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 12:29:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I went with Remington only for the reason that I have had jamming issues with mossbergs.

I believe the big selling point is that the 870 uses two slide bars for the pump and the Mossberg only one.

I did not realize the 590 was a cheapened version of the twin bar 500.

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 12:35:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Mossbergs are junk compared to Remingtons.

Why? I've never owned a remington shotgun. What makes them better?

As far as the 870 goes, they aren't made from fragile parts, they aren't all loosy-goosy, they don't fall apart, they don't have extraction problems...

And I hate the pump on Mossbergs, they're awkward. It messes with my grip, the pump is too far forward. But that's just my opinion.

BUT, that really does matter, A LOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is how they should be evaluated.    They can be very different for each person.

I defensive 500 is all loosy-goosy.    I like it.   It works well.   I prefer it, especially when cleaning it... LOL!     IF I had problems, I would switch.    

The difference in money is not worth considering in my book.  

I have a few 500's, including a "fancy" trophy model.   I would NEVER show them off.   LOL!

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 12:42:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Mossbergs are junk compared to Remingtons.

Why? I've never owned a remington shotgun. What makes them better?

As far as the 870 goes, they aren't made from fragile parts, they aren't all loosy-goosy, they don't fall apart, they don't have extraction problems...

Not to mention that piece of shit tang safety breaks, if you're lucky it renders the gun inoperable, if you're unlucky, it makes it unsafe.

I have known one to slip to the safe position after every shot.   The guy's son was always screwing with the safety.    Clearly, they can be worn out.  

The safety is plastic.    There is a metal replacement available that supposedly does not have the problem.

I never use the safety.   I leave it off.   It has doesn't seem in danger of wearing out.   LOL!

I'd say that if a person is put off by it, to not get one.    Like I said, I do not use the safety.

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 12:46:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

2) The Remington 870 was not involved in the military mil-spec tests - therefore the 590 couldn't have "beat" it.
3) The Marines have since replaced the 590 as their official combat shotgun with the Benelli M1014.

All of you "DERR THE MARINES USE IT SO ITS DA BEST!!" read that statement.

Remington never submitted the 870 for military testing when the 590 was picked. It was never in competition, so it never lost. Mossberg uses that bullshit in their marketing, but fails to mention Remington wasn't in the competition.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 12:47:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I went with Remington only for the reason that I have had jamming issues with mossbergs.

I believe the big selling point is that the 870 uses two slide bars for the pump and the Mossberg only one.

Isn't that what Mossy owners used to say about the 870??? Mossbergs have two slide bars. The parts aren't all delicate and breakable, and they eject just fine. Jesus, some of the shit you guys post is wild.

The older Mossbergs have a single slide bar and I guess Mossberg has since updated to the two bar design, to keep it from binding (common complaint).

That could be case.    I suppose those more than 25 years old might be like that.

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 12:51:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Been skeet shooting with a couple freinds that were shooting Mossbergs, one a 12 ga, the other a 20ga. They were both having the problem of a live round being pumped out of the mag. tube and flying out the ejection port. Then you pull the trigger on an empty chamber. That's got to be the loudest click in the world.

At first I thought they were short stroking and not getting one out of the mag, so I stood were I could really watch them and saw the live round come out right behind the hull. This happened at least 10 times in 200 rounds, from two different 500's. I lost a lot of faith in 500's that day.
I would love to know if that is a common problem.

Gees, I would not take my Mossbergs skeet shooting, and I like mine.    I have not had any problems.    But, they all look like shit compared to a nice Remington or Winchester.      

If I had those problems, I would not own a Mossberg.  
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 1:20:07 PM EDT
[#17]
I voted 870 because they are more common, have been around longer, and as a consequence, parts are more available. For this same reason, I have 2 of them.

I still occasionally see 870s for around $150, but I have never seen a 590 that cheap. I have, however, seen 500s for under $100.

Personally, I prefer the Winchester 97 over all other pump shotguns, but they aren't cheap.

As for rusting, back in the '80s my first 870 was rusting from riding in my jeep, so I painted it with red anti-rust primer from a rattle can, which completely stopped the rusting. Even years later, with large bare spots where the paint was rubbed/chipped off, there was no rust. Eventually I removed the paint and applied Oxpho Blue from Brownell's. It immediately started rusting, so I bought a can of primer and re-painted. No more rust.

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 1:27:31 PM EDT
[#18]

the safety doesn't bother me
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 1:28:22 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

steel vs aluminum. In my book the 870 steel receiver wins over aluminum or plastic.

That shows you don't know anything about either.  On both, the bolt locks into an extension on the barrel.  Steel on steel for either design.  You could make a receiver out of paper mache and it wouldn't matter because the locking is steel on steel.  Aluminum is lighter and it can't rust, a common problem with the 870.

Not only that, but while the 500 does have an aluminum receiver, unless I am badly mistaken the 590 (which is the subject of the poll) has a steel receiver.

I still prefer the Remington, though.

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 1:30:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 1:38:02 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I'm a Remington snob; therefore, I feel like the 870 is the greatest shotgun ever made.

The US Navy doesn't agree with you. They put 1,246,000 rounds through a Winchester 97 with (IIRC) 2 firing pin replacements and 1 spring replacement, otherwise only basic maintenance.

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 1:41:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Remington is better than Mossberg....But Ithaca 37's are better than them both.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 1:52:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 1:58:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Remington never submitted the 870 for military testing when the 590 was picked. It was never in competition, so it never lost. Mossberg uses that bullshit in their marketing, but fails to mention Remington wasn't in the competition.

Maybe Remington didn't put the 870 in for military testing because they knew they would lose!  
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 2:03:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Isn't that what Mossy owners used to say about the 870??? Mossbergs have two slide bars. The parts aren't all delicate and breakable, and they eject just fine. Jesus, some of the shit you guys post is wild.

The 870 has always been made with dual action bars. The mossberg used to only be made with one.

And?  The Winchester Model 12(AKA the perfect repeater) and the Ithaca 37 have always had single action bars and both of them have absolutely sterling repuatations.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 2:05:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe Remington didn't put the 870 in for military testing because they knew they would lose!  

You are right.

Remington cannot make the 870 cheaper than the 500/590. They would have lost in bidding to Mossberg, so it wasn't worth their time to even enter.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 2:19:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

The Winchester Model 12 is better than all of them.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 2:25:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 2:25:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Winchester Model 12 is better than all of them.

I'll agree with that if your talking about the old ones with no disconnect and a 7 shot mag tube.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 2:37:48 PM EDT
[#30]
I own a Mossberg 500. I'm somewhat kinda sorta satisfied with it. After handling a Remington 870 I've determined that the 870 is a much better shotgun. Here are my pros and cons from having owned the Mossberg.

Mossberg pros:
1. The safety and the slide release are placed very well.
2. The shell lifter stays in the up position when the action is closed, making it easier to load shells than on the Remington.

cons:
1. The forend feels wobbly as shit.
2. You can't extend the magazine tube without buying a brand new tube and a brand new barrel. (Don't know if that applies to the 590 vs the 500?)
3. You can't add an aftermarket forend without purchasing and installing a whole new slide assembly. (Also don't know if that applies to the 590)
4. Less aftermarket following than the 870.
5. The safety feels really, really cheap, and if it breaks, it renders the whole gun inoperable. (Also don't know if that applies...)

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 3:16:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I own a Mossberg 500. I'm somewhat kinda sorta satisfied with it. After handling a Remington 870 I've determined that the 870 is a much better shotgun. Here are my pros and cons from having owned the Mossberg.

Mossberg pros:
2. The shell lifter stays in the up position when the action is closed, making it easier to load shells than on the Remington.

cons:
2. You can't extend the magazine tube without buying a brand new tube and a brand new barrel. (Don't know if that applies to the 590 vs the 500?)
3. You can't add an aftermarket forend without purchasing and installing a whole new slide assembly. (Also don't know if that applies to the 590)
5. The safety feels really, really cheap, and if it breaks, it renders the whole gun inoperable. (Also don't know if that applies...)

1. For your forend,try tightening the ring that secures it to the slide assembly. Most of the wobble is in the bars though,and can't be helped. It does feel really loose.
2. That doesn't apply to the 590. It has an open ended tube like the 870. Some newer Mossy 500s peen or pin the tube so you can't even swap for the 8 shot tube (which sucks). Mine is the old style,where you can just unscrew and replace it.
3. ?? Did they change something? On 500s there should be a screw on ring that attaches the forend to the slide assembly. Remove that ring and the forend comes off of the slide assembly/action bars. Did they change this recently?
One thing I'll add about aftermarket stuff-price of barrels. For the most part, Mossberg barrels are about 2/3-3/4 the price of comparable Remington 870 barrels. I have three barrels for my Mossberg,which is currently the only shotgun I really need-a bead sighted 18" for HD,a rifled 24" for slugs and an accu-choked 28" for shot. I doubt I paid $400 for the whole package,but there's very little it won't do.

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 3:18:58 PM EDT
[#32]
No rattle trap mooseturd for me. I'm a 870 fan from a long ways back. We had a guy that had mooseturd in a hunting club I belonged to and he always drove the hunting dogs or when we made man drives he was always out in front for two reasons. One, we knew even though he was up front he wouldn't hit anything with that rattletrap POS so we would get a chance. Two, we let him out front because that damned thing made so much noise as he went through the woods it would scare up even the sneakiest deer in the woods.

What did we learn? Moosturds are best for scaring game up and they are also good for the population because they don't shoot worth a shit, that is if they shoot at all and are not jammed all the shit up and you have to disassemble the dam thing in the woods just to get it to shoot again.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 3:22:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I'm considering a 590A1 because of the tang safety (I'm a lefty), but don't currently own either so voted pie.

Lefty here as well.  I also have  an 835 that I duck hunted with for years and it was bombproof.   Next time I stumble across a 590a1 I'll buy it.

J

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 3:23:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mossberg has dual slide bars.

J

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 3:26:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Come on, not even a question...always use the best......Remington

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 3:30:10 PM EDT
[#36]
I own several 500,s and 870's and I like them all . All have served me well with no problems .
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 3:33:02 PM EDT
[#37]
benelli ftw
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 3:33:42 PM EDT
[#38]
I voted Mossberg.  Tang safety and two extra shells in the tube.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 3:40:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
No rattle trap mooseturd for me. I'm a 870 fan from a long ways back. We had a guy that had mooseturd in a hunting club I belonged to and he always drove the hunting dogs or when we made man drives he was always out in front for two reasons. One, we knew even though he was up front he wouldn't hit anything with that rattletrap POS so we would get a chance. Two, we let him out front because that damned thing made so much noise as he went through the woods it would scare up even the sneakiest deer in the woods.

What did we learn? Moosturds are best for scaring game up and they are also good for the population because they don't shoot worth a shit, that is if they shoot at all and are not jammed all the shit up and you have to disassemble the dam thing in the woods just to get it to shoot again.

Dumbest post of the day.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 3:42:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I want an old, wood stock parkerized 870 police "riot gun" and a 590A1.

Or, get both.

P.S. I have an 870 Marine Magnum, two old Wingmasters that were my grandfather's (16 and 20 gauge) and a Westernfield (Mossberg) 500A.

Bought this 870 Police Magnum about 25 years ago. I never fired it until about a year ago. When I fired it, it would fail to eject about every 4th round. I called Remington and they sent me a new extractor and extractor spring for free. When I installed the extractor, I also polished the chamber, which looked very rough from machining. It has been 100% since.

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 4:03:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

...are you kidding..? I've NEVER seen a Mossberg pump have FTF or jam issues. Not once. and Mossbergs rattle just as much as any other gun. +2 on dumbest post of the day.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 4:08:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mossberg pros:

cons:

1. For your forend,try tightening the ring that secures it to the slide assembly. Most of the wobble is in the bars though,and can't be helped. It does feel really loose.
2. That doesn't apply to the 590. It has an open ended tube like the 870. Some newer Mossy 500s peen or pin the tube so you can't even swap for the 8 shot tube (which sucks). Mine is the old style,where you can just unscrew and replace it.
3. ?? Did they change something? On 500s there should be a screw on ring that attaches the forend to the slide assembly. Remove that ring and the forend comes off of the slide assembly/action bars. Did they change this recently?
One thing I'll add about aftermarket stuff-price of barrels. For the most part, Mossberg barrels are about 2/3-3/4 the price of comparable Remington 870 barrels. I have three barrels for my Mossberg,which is currently the only shotgun I really need-a bead sighted 18" for HD,a rifled 24" for slugs and an accu-choked 28" for shot. I doubt I paid $400 for the whole package,but there's very little it won't do.

There is no ring securing the forend to the slide assembly, because there is no slide assembly. I purchased a brand new Mossberg 500 very recently and the forearm is one big molded piece of plastic that wraps around the magazine tube. The two action bars extend from the receiver and attach directly to the big hunk o' plastic. No screw on ring, no slide assembly, just a shitty piece of plastic. I e-mailed Mossberg and asked them WTF and they said it was standard for the baseline 500s now.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 4:10:23 PM EDT
[#43]
first gun i bought was a 870. still have it. dont shoot it much. I prefer the Benelli kind of gunz.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 4:12:13 PM EDT
[#44]
i've had a mossberg shotgun for the past 14 years and hundreds of rounds without any problems. i'm a lefty and the big thing for me is safety placement. i'm not knocking on the remmy, it's a great shotgun, i just prefer the mossy.-*
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 4:18:33 PM EDT
[#45]
I've had good luck with both Remington and Mossberg.

I prefer the action on the Remington, it slides smoother, and is easier to work, but the location of the safety and the lock on the Mossberg is much friendlier to actual use as well as left-handed shooters.

The Remington's lock is located on the front of the trigger guard, so you have to let go of a firing grip to activate it, but since the lock is really only for unloading a loaded gun, it's not really an issue.

The safety for the Remington is a crossbolt behind the trigger, and this can sometimes be difficult for a left-handed shooter, unless they practice.  Plus it's not visible when you bring the gun up to your eye.  The Mossberg is both visible, right in front of your eye, and easily accessible to both a left and right handed shooter.

I still own a Remington 870, and use them at work, but my personal shotgun for 3 gun matches has switched from a Mossberg 500 originally, to an 870, and now to a Mossberg 930SPX.

YMMV.

I'm actually looking pretty closely at the new Stoeger semi that I've been reading reviews about as well.  
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 4:21:55 PM EDT
[#46]
I'm lefty so Mossberg.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 4:23:16 PM EDT
[#47]
Mossberg 930 SPX FTW
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 4:39:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 870 has always been made with dual action bars. The mossberg used to only be made with one.

And?  The Winchester Model 12(AKA the perfect repeater) and the Ithaca 37 have always had single action bars and both of them have absolutely sterling repuatations.

The well used 30+ year old Ithaca 37 I own isn't nearly as loose and sloppily fitted as the NEW mossbergs I've handled. Oh, the 12 is out of production, and the 37 isn't available on gun racks anywhere I've been to(but is still in production). Both the 12 and the 37 were far better built than ANY mossberg, with a price tag to match.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 5:03:41 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I've had good luck with both Remington and Mossberg.

I prefer the action on the Remington, it slides smoother, and is easier to work, but the location of the safety and the lock on the Mossberg is much friendlier to actual use as well as left-handed shooters.

The Remington's lock is located on the front of the trigger guard, so you have to let go of a firing grip to activate it, but since the lock is really only for unloading a loaded gun, it's not really an issue.

The safety for the Remington is a crossbolt behind the trigger, and this can sometimes be difficult for a left-handed shooter, unless they practice.  Plus it's not visible when you bring the gun up to your eye.  The Mossberg is both visible, right in front of your eye, and easily accessible to both a left and right handed shooter.

Remington makes a left handed version of the 870, and left hand safety conversions are widely available for right handed 870's. The trigger finger will naturally off safe the gun if you're used to shooting it, and it's in a natural position for the finger to feel for safe/off safe condition.

I still own a Remington 870, and use them at work, but my personal shotgun for 3 gun matches has switched from a Mossberg 500 originally, to an 870, and now to a Mossberg 930SPX.

YMMV.

I'm actually looking pretty closely at the new Stoeger semi that I've been reading reviews about as well.  

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 5:09:29 PM EDT
[#50]
Benelli.  
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top