Link Posted: 8/3/2009 7:07:54 AM EDT
[#1]
bump, anybody?
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 7:10:44 AM EDT
[#2]
TAG
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 8:41:04 AM EDT
[#3]
My daughter (8 years old) wants to learn Chinese. Demo disk in bound. AAR to follow.

Call for yours: 1-800-336-2116.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 9:41:45 AM EDT
[#4]
I didn´t much care for it. You will end up knowing a bunch of everyday words that you can´t conjugate or string together into an actual sentence.  
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 10:00:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Thread on Rosetta Stone already under discussion.

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 10:08:32 AM EDT
[#6]
I bought a copy for a dollar at a hajii shop.  I got what I paid for.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 10:13:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Its a great application if you stick to it.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 10:30:00 AM EDT
[#8]
The little bit I used it, it taught words and no grammar.  Nothing really useful.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 2:07:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Thread on Rosetta Stone already under discussion.

Kharn

Thanks, I was looking for that.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 2:25:47 PM EDT
[#10]
I'd never call myself a "linguist", but I do think I have a pretty good idea what it takes to really learn to speak a language.  Way back in 1986 Uncle Sugar spent a fair deal of cash to teach me to speak russian.  We spent 8 hours per day, 5 days per week for 47 weeks learning to speak, read and write the language.

I think that no matter how good a book/tape/dvd/cd or software is, without someone who speaks the language fluently (preferably a native speaker) to work with - you will not learn to actually speak it.  At best you'll learn some canned phrases and replies.  I've used Rosetta Stone and I think it would be an outstanding refresher or supplement to formal instruction.  I do not believe that it will enable someone with 0 language ability to become a proficient speaker of the language it's teaching.

I've seen the commercials that say that the .mil and .gov use Rosetta Stone for language training, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that they're probably using it in conjunction with an instructor who already speaks the language, and/or using it for language maintenance and refresher training.  I doubt they're handing it to folks and expecting them to "pick up" a language in an hour or two each day.

tl;dr - Rosetta Stone is pretty good as a supplement or refresher, but seek out instruction if you really want to learn to speak a language.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top