Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/31/2009 9:08:25 PM EDT
Does it really work?   How much time per day?   Can you really achieve fluency?
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 10:53:58 PM EDT
[#1]
See
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 10:56:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Somebody must be, because their advertising budget is HUGE!

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 2:29:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Here's what I remember from one I got a few years ago.  Basically a picture flashes up on the screen and you hear and see the word that represents it.  What it does best is teach vocabulary and pronunciation.  What  it does NOT do well is teach how to put sentences together or conversational phrases, because it's hard to represent that in a picture.  It's an excellent way to get a good start on a language, but you won't be fluent when you're done.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 2:40:46 AM EDT
[#4]
el caballo esta santando
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 2:54:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Me and my wife are fising to buy German. just to do as a hobby, so we will see
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 3:16:13 AM EDT
[#6]
It's being sold at the hadji shops over here.  Like 10 or so languages on a disk for $5.  I might actually try it out for that price.

They are AAFES approved shops and take Eagle Cash, so I'm assuming they are legit copies.  

CHRIS
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 3:19:22 AM EDT
[#7]
no, because it may be a waste of time
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 3:36:39 AM EDT
[#8]
I have been using it off and on. It is really good at building a basic vocabulary. I found that after a very short time the second language word or phrase will just pop into my head when I see a real life scene like the picture in the exercises. ( ETA: That is with an hour or two a day)

I like it a lot but I'm not fluent yet by any means. It does work faster than other stuff I have tried. The key IMO is immersion in the native language you are trying to learn or a patient tutor.

I would recommend it. It is rather expensive though. A friend of mine has come quite far in Russian. He got the program as a crack somewhere on the interwebs.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 3:43:00 AM EDT
[#9]
my daughter is using it to learn japanese
she loves it
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 3:47:35 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

<snipped>

I would recommend it. It is rather expensive though. A friend of mine has come quite far in Russian.

I've mastered speaking French... in Russian.

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 4:14:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It's being sold at the hadji shops over here.  Like 10 or so languages on a disk for $5.  I might actually try it out for that price.

They are AAFES approved shops and take Eagle Cash, so I'm assuming they are legit copies.  

CHRIS

Thief.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 4:17:16 AM EDT
[#12]
I learned Jive real easy.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 4:19:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

CHRIS
If you have AKO access then you can use Rosetta Stone for free. But I'd still pick up the 10-for-$5 disk.

Kharn

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 4:20:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:
<snipped>
I would recommend it. It is rather expensive though. A friend of mine has come quite far in Russian.

I've mastered speaking French... in Russian.

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 4:27:31 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

CHRIS

Thief.

Idiot.

Hey, this is fun.

CHRIS

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 4:28:39 AM EDT
[#16]
I use the online version through work...if you do not have people to conversate with, it will be hard.

It is a great tool!
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 4:29:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I learned Jive real easy.[/quote

I LOL'd at that...

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 4:37:31 AM EDT
[#18]
I uh...have some..uh...extended evaluation copies of Spanish and Japanese.  From what little I've used them, they seem pretty good.  Better than the old audio tapes of 'Where is the Bathroom?' 'Whereo est da Bathroomo?' jobs.  Now, if I can just make myself actually use them for a bit each day, maybe I'll get somewhere with them.

Also, it sounds cheesy, but the My (Language) Coach games on the Nintendo DS are actually pretty good too.  And, that is a bit better at making me use them a touch more often.

Isn't it odd that I can sit here on Arf for hours at a time, but yet I can't do something useful like use another computer app for a mere hour a day?    
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 12:06:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

CHRIS

Thief.
Idiot.

Hey, this is fun.
CHRIS

So you admit to being OK with buying stolen merch, call me an idiot and think it's cute.  

You are cute.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 12:22:43 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

CHRIS

Thief.

Idiot.

Hey, this is fun.

CHRIS

So you admit to being OK with buying stolen merch, call me an idiot and think it's cute.  

You are cute.

he's in fucking Iraq! Where are you??

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 12:32:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

CHRIS

Thief.
Idiot.

Hey, this is fun.
CHRIS

You are cute.

OWNED!!! He's just trying to be a troublemaker.

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 12:34:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Haha. It's ok. I'm a month and a half shy of three years working OEF/OIF and I haven't bought a hadji copy of anything. Theif?

He's got me wanting to spend $5 to learn how to say fellator of donkeys 10 ways.

CHRIS
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 12:38:57 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

CHRIS

Actually, I think those are the demo CDs that come free with the program.  The version I got was more like twenty or thirty languages, but each one was only the first level of vocab.  So you can learn to say "the horse is jumping" in twenty five languages.

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 1:35:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Try Live Mocha.  It's free.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 1:52:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

CHRIS

Thief.
Idiot.

Hey, this is fun.
CHRIS

You are cute.

Oh snap homes!  I'm busted.

He's in a place where he can buy stolen stuff.

Boom.  Werd.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 2:00:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

CHRIS

Thief.
Idiot.

Hey, this is fun.
CHRIS

You are cute.

Oh snap homes!  I'm busted.

He's in a place where he can buy stolen stuff.

Boom.  Werd.

It's "holmes".  Get it right if you're going to be accusing people of crap.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 2:05:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Be nice.

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 2:10:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
See

That would be Si.

I used it to learn Spanish when I moved to Mexico. It worked well enough to get the basics and I picked the rest up from there.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 2:12:03 PM EDT
[#29]
I'd like to use the chick with the big tits that does their commercials.

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 2:14:45 PM EDT
[#30]
i used it for awhile, learning german, just using it for a couple nights i learned quite abit, but then i didnt use it for some months, and most of it is lost.

the lessons repeat basic stuff so often so that you get used to it. so yah if you were using it often it would work pretty good.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 10:35:58 AM EDT
[#31]
tag
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 10:38:23 AM EDT
[#32]
tagski.

TRG
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 10:38:25 AM EDT
[#33]
Using it for Italian - ain't gonna lie to ya - I'm struggling.  Individual names of things are easy to grasp, but putting them together in sentences with male & female differences makes me
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 11:07:07 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

CHRIS

Dang, might be an Arf.com group buy here!

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 11:13:17 AM EDT
[#35]
The US military uses it, correct?
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 12:05:30 PM EDT
[#36]
I hear that NASA uses it.  
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 12:10:25 PM EDT
[#37]
What level of proficiency does it bring you to?  2 months of HS foreign language?  A semester?  2 years?

Or is it just a phrase book with a nifty computerized visual learning approach?
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 12:30:01 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

I use the online version through work...if you do not have people to conversate with, it will be hard.

It is a great tool!

Maybe you should pick up the English version as well.  

C-O-N-V-E-R-S-E

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 12:41:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Try Live Mocha.  It's free.

This looks immensely promising.  Thank you!

Learning languages with help from native speakers.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 12:45:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

And NASA, the US State Department, and Fortune 500 companies.

I see that commercial about 100 times a day .
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 12:47:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I heard they used a facility near where the Presidium used to be.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top