Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/1/2009 6:18:12 PM EDT
First off, I'm not in the "carbon kills the Earth crowd."  I'm in the "tightass old country Dutchmen who eat coal and shit diamonds" crowd.  That said, I just graduated college and I'm staying at home until I can get established.  It pisses me off to no end how nobody else in this house knows how to turn off a light or close a door or window.  They leave lights on all day when they're out of the house.  They'll leave the TV on for hours and never watch it.  They open windows at night only to forget about it and have the air conditioner blow all day with two windows open.  They'll walk out the door and leave the big door open and just have the screen door holding in the cold air they pay dearly for.  They let a one horse pool pump run 24/7, even though nothing bad will happen if they turn it off at night.  God only knows what the power bill would be if I didn't shut shit off.  My sister is the worst and when I say something about it, she gets irrate and screams at me about what do I care, I don't pay the bill, if "I want to leave my TV on all day, I can."  I look forward to the day she gets her first power bill for $500 and goes "wha happun?" like Ricky Ricardo.  The old man usually has something to say about how "them damn kids need to turn lights off," even though he's really good about leaving doors and windows open all the time.  Granted, they do go to work and it is their money, but these days, who can afford to be wasteful?  Not to mention my father just quit a job to take another at a 40% pay cut.  Like I said, I'm not in the Sierra Club, I'm just a tight Dutchman from tight Dutchmen stock.  Any time I decide to say fuck it and leave the shit they left on, I break down after about 20 seconds when my Dutchman sense tingles.  Anybody else have to deal with this shit?  I'll be glad when I'm out of here.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 6:21:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Being you are living there....why not just man up and turn the stuff off instead of bitching about it on the internet?

It's the least you can do.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 6:26:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll add this to my long and growing list of reasons not to live with other people.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 6:26:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I live with two slobs that constantly waste electricity.

1.  Talk to neighbors with the front door wide open...letting out all of my air conditioned air.
2. Always leave the TV on when no one is watching it.
3. Always leave the lights on.
4. Take "forever" showers ... draining the hot water tank.
5. Stand in front of the fridge with the door wide open like they are "just browsing"

I'd kick 'em out....but they don't have jobs.    

...and they are only 7 and 12 years old.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 6:27:02 PM EDT
[#4]
You're complaining about them when even you won't pony up a measly $24 for a memebership??????

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 6:28:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Well you certainly are conserving your Enter Key in this post Mr Wall of Text.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 6:29:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes, my children. They'll figure it out when they start paying the bills.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 6:29:12 PM EDT
[#7]

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 6:29:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Being you are living there....why not just man up and turn the stuff off instead of bitching about it on the internet?

I do.  All the time.  It's like a full time job going around and turning shit off around here.  Not only do I turn the shit off for them, I complain about how wasteful they all are constantly, but my folks don't seem to care and my sister just gets irrate and starts screaming.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 6:29:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Think that is bad....try living with a college graduate who moves back in with you when you thought your job was done and he'd be out on his own.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 6:33:43 PM EDT
[#10]
I leave the lights and computer on in my shop all the time.  Drives my wife nuts.  Drives my neighbor nuts. I don't give a Phuc.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 6:33:56 PM EDT
[#11]
I hear bitching on the internet is the solution to all problems you may encounter.

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 6:46:27 PM EDT
[#12]
meh..... the lights on in one of my storage buildings right now I haven't been

in that building in two months. Its my money I'll waste it if I want
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 6:57:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Yeah my brother ALWAYS has the AC turned on cuz he's a fatass

I just turn it off though.

Whatever, my cup of care is empty...
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 9:12:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Yeh, it's a pet peeve of mine, too.

Leaving a light on in an unused room is like leaving a bathroom faucet on all the time, or leaving your car engine running out in the driveway 24/7 - In all cases, you're just pouring money down the drain.

I'd like to see someone come up with a device that connects to your house's main electric service, and requires you to feed it a quarter for every 2.5 KWH of electricity you use. Or better yet, a device that only allows you XX KWH of electricity every 24 hours - if you use up your daily allotment before the end of the day, you spend the rest of the day (or night) in the dark. Either item would be a great way to teach your kids how to avoid wasting money and energy.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 9:22:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Wait, let me get this straight; You're bitching about your family "wasting" electricity when they pay the bills?

Dude, I leave my lights on ALL the time, keep the A/C on at 65F, leave the TV on and I can do this because IT'S MY GODDAMN HOUSE AND I PAY THE BILLS!

When you get a place of your own and you pay the bills, then you can bitch about it.

ETA: And my last electricity bill was $62.35.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 9:27:39 PM EDT
[#16]
There house there rules if you are paying the bills thats one thing but still not your house.

Go live in a van down by the river.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 9:29:11 PM EDT
[#17]
When you start paying the bills, you can open your mouth.

Until then shut the fuck up, or turn shit off yourself if it bothers you.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 9:35:30 PM EDT
[#18]
You got a sloppy paragraph there pal.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 9:40:26 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

You're complaining about them when even you won't pony up a measly $24 for a memebership??????

He'll have to live in the dark several more years before he can.

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 9:44:35 PM EDT
[#20]

I randomly burn electric for no good reason.

fuck it, I am crazy , I'll do it again. TURN THE LIGHT ON BITCH.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 9:45:29 PM EDT
[#21]
If they have CFL bulbs its cheaper to run them all the time then turn them on and off constatly plus they will last longer.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 9:47:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Quoted:

He'll have to live in the dark several more years before he can.

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 9:52:46 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm with you.  Luckily my wife and completely on the same page with this.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 9:53:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Install pay-per-minute meters, like the British have.

Seriously... they have (or had at one time) a metered system you had to put coins in to keep the power on!
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 10:03:57 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm kinda the same.  I don't think carbon is 'destroying the planet'.   I don't believe in anthropogenic global warming climate change.  

But wasting energy is fucking retarded.  FUCKING RETARDED.  You heard me.  FUCKING RETARDED.

Sometimes we forget to turn off lights, or leave something running...  electric power is something we take for granted, and as it stands, if we pay the bill, we can pretty much continue to do so.  But if our aging grid starts showing it's age... blackouts, brownouts, etc... things may be different.  

I doubt any of you would open all of your windows on a 100º day and set your AC at 68º.  You might beat your chest and say you'd do it because it's your choice, but I doubt you would.   Just like I doubt you'd go to the store and buy a 3 liter coke, take a few sips and throw the rest away.  

My house is relatively new with a lot of efficient stuff built in... dual pane windows... insulation...  I put in programmable thermostats... CFLs in most places...  home automation to control lighting...  I pay the bill, so I'd like to make it as small as I can.  It cost a bit up front, and yeah, it'll take a while for all the stuff to pay for itself.  Energy costs ain't going down, so it's going to be worth it.  
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 10:09:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
First off, I'm not in the "carbon kills the Earth crowd."  I'm in the "tightass old country Dutchmen who eat coal and shit diamonds" crowd.  That said, I just graduated college and I'm staying at home until I can get established.  It pisses me off to no end how nobody else in this house knows how to turn off a light or close a door or window.  They leave lights on all day when they're out of the house.  They'll leave the TV on for hours and never watch it.  They open windows at night only to forget about it and have the air conditioner blow all day with two windows open.  They'll walk out the door and leave the big door open and just have the screen door holding in the cold air they pay dearly for.  They let a one horse pool pump run 24/7, even though nothing bad will happen if they turn it off at night.  God only knows what the power bill would be if I didn't shut shit off.  My sister is the worst and when I say something about it, she gets irrate and screams at me about what do I care, I don't pay the bill, if "I want to leave my TV on all day, I can."  I look forward to the day she gets her first power bill for $500 and goes "wha happun?" like Ricky Ricardo.  The old man usually has something to say about how "them damn kids need to turn lights off," even though he's really good about leaving doors and windows open all the time.  Granted, they do go to work and it is their money, but these days, who can afford to be wasteful?  Not to mention my father just quit a job to take another at a 40% pay cut.  Like I said, I'm not in the Sierra Club, I'm just a tight Dutchman from tight Dutchmen stock.  Any time I decide to say fuck it and leave the shit they left on, I break down after about 20 seconds when my Dutchman sense tingles.  Anybody else have to deal with this shit?  I'll be glad when I'm out of here.

It's nice to see that you're conserving paragraphs.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 10:12:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Well Jimmy Carter, put on a sweater and remind the utilities to build more capacity.

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 10:13:47 PM EDT
[#28]
I got 3 kids.  the lights are always on, even in the summer when it is light nearly 24 hours.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 10:53:47 PM EDT
[#29]
This is a decently large problem (and growing) in the Army since we don't see/have any connection with our electric bills.  Hell, in the barracks I'm in at  Benning the A/C is probably set in the high 60's.  We have no control of it so our only option is to open the windows, freeze, or bundle up at night.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 10:53:55 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm with ya brother.

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 11:05:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Only reason we use less power is because APS jacked our phuqing rates 30% a month ago, this was state wide not just limited to one area, they also tacked on 25% rate increase because its summer, bastards its a monopoly here you live on one side of the state and your APS or SRP no choice of anything else unless you go full retard and go solar-save the polar bears! Plus the Federal taxes went up $100, surcharges and other shit are like $50 alone.

We all take 1 shower per week unless really needed, cutting where we can because $ is so tight.  

OTH if we want to waste $ on the weekends when the power is standard rate, we sure as heck can, run out an turn on the welder, phase converter and either the lathe or mill, its well within our rights to do so since we are paying for it., no one has the say nor the balls to tell me face 2 face to stop using power.

Phuq CFL's  anyone who thinks mercury lights are better for the environment, got news for you those are as old as a fax machine in terms of technology, step into the 21st century LED's are better, last longer and use way less energy, build an LED bulb yourself or buy one at walmart the one I have states it will last 30k hours and draws 1.5watts of power to put out 40 watts of light.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 11:10:13 PM EDT
[#32]
What's wrong with leaving the lights on? Photons make me happy!

I pay my electric bill so it's my energy to waste how I see fit!

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 11:41:03 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Yes, my children. They'll figure it out when they start paying the bills.
Since having kids I've developed carpal tunnel from flipping switches.

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 11:41:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Anybody else live with slobs who refuse to conserve electricity?

Two teenage boys.  Trying to stop them from wasting juice is like trying to stop them from drinking all of the Dr. Pepper.....ain't happening.

I did solve the Dr. Pepper issue.....I quit buying it!!!!

Sadly, I cannot stop buying juice.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 11:45:38 PM EDT
[#35]

So, when you Dutch take a goose to the dresser, do you turn the lights off or leave them on?

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 11:49:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
We all take 1 shower per week unless really needed, cutting where we can because $ is so tight.

What?

You live in Arizona - This time of year, you don't need hot water to take a shower, same as here in South Texas - The cold water is 85+ degrees!
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 12:15:58 AM EDT
[#37]
Mmmmm, understand parts of both sides here.  On one hand, they pay for the power, they can waste it as they see fit.  Here in (dry!) SoKal, we are constantly being yammered at to save water, yet still I take 20 minute showers, just because it feels so good!!!

On the other hand, you think you are tight because you are Dutch?  I have Scots heritage (and we could teach the Yids a thing or two about being tight!), & a mother who grew up during the Great Depression, so I have more than a little appreciation for what you are saying.

And then, there is just the whole "grand scheme of things" to it.  It pisses me off no end (among all the other things that piss me off) how people waste water, power, etc., when it would be so easy to just turn things off.  I can't tell you how many times I have turned off running faucets, with no one around...

All I can say is chill, brother, and move out as soon as you can.  Keep shutting things off, knowing that your contributions will be wasted as soon as you move out, just because it's always good to fight the good fight.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 12:17:39 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

2/10
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 12:21:45 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

If they have CFL bulbs its cheaper to run them all the time then turn them on and off constatly plus they will last longer.

That is both stupid and bull shit.

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 12:22:19 AM EDT
[#40]
Yeah, don't get me started on my electric bill. My gf likes to crank the AC and leave lights on all day too.  I just walk around and shut things off behind her.  Even though it's annoying, she tries to make things better in other ways and I appreciate that.

Also, My grandmother was dutch and always loved to do the old "If you ain't Dutch, you ain't much." on us kids.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 12:22:37 AM EDT
[#41]
Unless you pay the bills STFU

I pay the bills in my house, so I am on a one man mission to waste as much energy as I see fit.  I leave the TV on (muted) when I'm not home, turn every light on so my house looks like a glowing beacon, crank the AC or heat up.  God I love using energy
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 5:21:30 AM EDT
[#42]
My wife and kids turn on all the lights in the day time and never turn them off. Same thing with the TVs. The only light they turn off without fail is the bathroom light in the mornings when we are all getting ready for work and school. I have to keep turning it back on 100 times every morning. I have given up. Last time they wanted to go to Chick Fila I told them I didn't have the money since the electric bill was so high. That helped for a couple days.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:33:05 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:35:00 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

CFLs burn out quicker the more you turn them on and off and in the long run you pay more for replacements. I did not make this up, the service life is longer if they stay on all the time.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:39:53 AM EDT
[#45]

Yesterday the wife decided (on her own) to do away with the ex. Fridge that just kept some pop and beer cold ($25 a mo.).  

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 7:21:38 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

CFLs burn out quicker the more you turn them on and off and in the long run you pay more for replacements. I did not make this up, the service life is longer if they stay on all the time.

If you leave them on all the time, the service life is used up providing light when you don't need it.  Leaving them on all the time reduces the useful life.
Unless you turn them on several times an hour, the service life is not diminished enough to compensate for the expense of leaving them on all the time as well as the expense of using the service life up when you aren't using them.
I turn mine off when not in use and have been using them since 1996.  They last for many years when used this way.  Some of them have lasted a decade.
If a CFL has a useful life of 10,000 hours and I left them on 24/7, I would have to replace them in 1.14 years.  This means you are paying for energy I never used plus you are buying several times bulbs than I have.
If turning them off 4 times a day means I burn them 6 hours a day and the turning off reduced life by 50%, the bulb would last 2.28 years.  I can tell you that the life is not reduced by 50% since they last more than 5 years and go as long as 10 years.

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 7:25:25 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

You ain't paying for it so why do you care?

ETA: How do you know the lights are on all day, don't you have a job?
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 7:27:08 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you leave them on all the time, the service life is used up providing light when you don't need it.

Unless you turn them on several times an hour, the service life is not diminished enough to compensate for the expense of leaving them on all the time as well as the expense of using the service life up when you aren't using them.

I turn mine off when not in use and have been using them since 1996.  They last for many years when used this way.  Some of them have lasted a decade.

If a CFL has a useful life of 10,000 hours and I left them on 24/7, I would have to replace them in 1.14 years.  This means you are paying for energy I never used plus you are buying several times bulbs than I have.

If turning them off 4 times a day means I burn them 6 hours a day and the turning off reduced life by 50%, the bulb would last 2.28 years.  I can tell you that the life is not reduced by 50% since they last more than 5 years and go as long as 10 years.

I keep a CFL on in my bathroom all the time as a nightlight, and since we moved in 10 years ago, I have replaced it twice. Must be we bought good oens.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 7:29:32 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do.  All the time.  It's like a full time job going around and turning shit off around here.  Not only do I turn the shit off for them, I complain about how wasteful they all are constantly, but my folks don't seem to care and my sister just gets irrate and starts screaming.

Taco punch
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 7:31:34 AM EDT
[#50]
My electricity bill was $35 last month.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top