Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 7:34:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Man up and pay the electric bill which will entitle you to set the ground rules as you see fit; or stop whining and shut the fuck up while you're living on the tit.

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 7:35:59 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If they have CFL bulbs its cheaper to run them all the time then turn them on and off constatly plus they will last longer.

That is both stupid and bull shit.

CFLs burn out quicker the more you turn them on and off and in the long run you pay more for replacements. I did not make this up, the service life is longer if they stay on all the time.

If you leave them on all the time, the service life is used up providing light when you don't need it.

Unless you turn them on several times an hour, the service life is not diminished enough to compensate for the expense of leaving them on all the time as well as the expense of using the service life up when you aren't using them.

I turn mine off when not in use and have been using them since 1996.  They last for many years when used this way.  Some of them have lasted a decade.

If a CFL has a useful life of 10,000 hours and I left them on 24/7, I would have to replace them in 1.14 years.  This means you are paying for energy I never used plus you are buying several times bulbs than I have.

If turning them off 4 times a day means I burn them 6 hours a day and the turning off reduced life by 50%, the bulb would last 2.28 years.  I can tell you that the life is not reduced by 50% since they last more than 5 years and go as long as 10 years.

I keep a CFL on in my bathroom all the time as a nightlight, and since we moved in 10 years ago, I have replaced it twice. Must be we bought good oens.

There is definitely a difference between brands and particular bulbs.  Some of them have much longer rated lives than 10,000 hours.  

Your bulb is not lasting any longer than the ones I turn off but are consuming energy the whole time.  Therefore, my point is valid.  The reduction in service life does not economically override the energy expense.

I am sure there are rooms where you want to be able to turn off lights for issues unrelated to economics.  Now you know, you will save money doing so, not cost extra.

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 8:02:22 AM EDT
[#3]
It is almost impossible to "waste" electricity.

You either have it, or you do not. More than 30% of the electrical generation in this country is UNUSED. The only time you could EVER be accused of "wasting it" is if you personally cause a blackout.

Sure, you may have to pay more because you used more in a non-productive or reckless way...but you are not "wasting" it.

I rate this whine a 2/10
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 8:06:05 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If they have CFL bulbs its cheaper to run them all the time then turn them on and off constatly plus they will last longer.

CFLs burn out quicker the more you turn them on and off and in the long run you pay more for replacements. I did not make this up, the service life is longer if they stay on all the time.

If you leave them on all the time, the service life is used up providing light when you don't need it.

Unless you turn them on several times an hour, the service life is not diminished enough to compensate for the expense of leaving them on all the time as well as the expense of using the service life up when you aren't using them.

I turn mine off when not in use and have been using them since 1996. They last for many years when used this way. Some of them have lasted a decade.

If a CFL has a useful life of 10,000 hours and I left them on 24/7, I would have to replace them in 1.14 years. This means you are paying for energy I never used plus you are buying several times bulbs than I have.

If turning them off 4 times a day means I burn them 6 hours a day and the turning off reduced life by 50%, the bulb would last 2.28 years. I can tell you that the life is not reduced by 50% since they last more than 5 years and go as long as 10 years.

I keep a CFL on in my bathroom all the time as a nightlight, and since we moved in 10 years ago, I have replaced it twice. Must be we bought good oens.

There is definitely a difference between brands and particular bulbs. Some of them have much longer rated lives than 10,000 hours.

Your bulb is not lasting any longer than the ones I turn off but are consuming energy the whole time. Therefore, my point is valid. The reduction in service life does not economically override the energy expense.

I am sure there are rooms where you want to be able to turn off lights for issues unrelated to economics. Now you know, you will save money doing so, not cost extra.

All lights in my house go out during daylight ours but I remember when I had my dad staying with me for a month and he would always turn a light on and then off because he is part of the cheap Croat mafia and he burned up most of my CFLs.

I am not advocating running them 24/7 just pointing out if you are constanly turning them on and off it will burn them up real quick and cost you more in the long run.

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 8:59:44 AM EDT
[#5]
my wife is like this, she leaves for work after i do, and i swear to god, three tvs are on, and just about every damned light in the house.  once, when we lived in louisiana, i came home one day in april and the house was hotter than hell, she had turned up the thermostat to 90, i called to ask what the hell, and she said she got out of the shower and was cold and she forgot to turn it off!!!  makes me want to crawl out of my skin sometimes
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 9:06:40 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

It is almost impossible to "waste" electricity.

You either have it, or you do not. More than 30% of the electrical generation in this country is UNUSED. The only time you could EVER be accused of "wasting it" is if you personally cause a blackout.

Sure, you may have to pay more because you used more in a non-productive or reckless way...but you are not "wasting" it.

I rate this whine a 2/10

Interesting theory.

I also find it unbelievable just how much line loss there is!

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 9:25:37 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Yeh, it's a pet peeve of mine, too.

Leaving a light on in an unused room is like leaving a bathroom faucet on all the time, or leaving your car engine running out in the driveway 24/7 - In all cases, you're just pouring money down the drain.

I'd like to see someone come up with a device that connects to your house's main electric service, and requires you to feed it a quarter for every 2.5 KWH of electricity you use. Or better yet, a device that only allows you XX KWH of electricity every 24 hours - if you use up your daily allotment before the end of the day, you spend the rest of the day (or night) in the dark. Either item would be a great way to teach your kids how to avoid wasting money and energy.

Have you applied for a cabinet position in the Obama administration yet? You sound like you'd be a great Cap & Trade Czar.

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 9:36:06 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Only reason we use less power is because APS jacked our phuqing rates 30% a month ago, this was state wide not just limited to one area, they also tacked on 25% rate increase because its summer, bastards its a monopoly here you live on one side of the state and your APS or SRP no choice of anything else unless you go full retard and go solar-save the polar bears! Plus the Federal taxes went up $100, surcharges and other shit are like $50 alone.

We all take 1 shower per week unless really needed, cutting where we can because $ is so tight.  

OTH if we want to waste $ on the weekends when the power is standard rate, we sure as heck can, run out an turn on the welder, phase converter and either the lathe or mill, its well within our rights to do so since we are paying for it., no one has the say nor the balls to tell me face 2 face to stop using power.

Phuq CFL's  anyone who thinks mercury lights are better for the environment, got news for you those are as old as a fax machine in terms of technology, step into the 21st century LED's are better, last longer and use way less energy, build an LED bulb yourself or buy one at walmart the one I have states it will last 30k hours and draws 1.5watts of power to put out 40 watts of light.

Are you serious? I shower once a day, and by the ~23 hour mark I can start to smell myself. I can't even imagine the level of BO the Arizona heat can inflict upon a person.

If you're already paying all those surcharges and connectivity fees, what difference does a slight increase in usage fees make?

I'd probably give up my internet connection or cell phone before I gave up showering once a day...

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 10:24:10 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I turn mine off when not in use and have been using them since 1996. They last for many years when used this way. Some of them have lasted a decade.

If a CFL has a useful life of 10,000 hours and I left them on 24/7, I would have to replace them in 1.14 years. This means you are paying for energy I never used plus you are buying several times bulbs than I have.

If turning them off 4 times a day means I burn them 6 hours a day and the turning off reduced life by 50%, the bulb would last 2.28 years. I can tell you that the life is not reduced by 50% since they last more than 5 years and go as long as 10 years.

There is definitely a difference between brands and particular bulbs. Some of them have much longer rated lives than 10,000 hours.

Your bulb is not lasting any longer than the ones I turn off but are consuming energy the whole time. Therefore, my point is valid. The reduction in service life does not economically override the energy expense.

I am sure there are rooms where you want to be able to turn off lights for issues unrelated to economics. Now you know, you will save money doing so, not cost extra.

All lights in my house go out during daylight ours but I remember when I had my dad staying with me for a month and he would always turn a light on and then off because he is part of the cheap Croat mafia and he burned up most of my CFLs.

I am not advocating running them 24/7 just pointing out if you are constanly turning them on and off it will burn them up real quick and cost you more in the long run.

One just burned out in the kitchen.  It is the one that gets turned off and on the most.  It is a dimmable version, TCP off brand.  Installed in January of 1998.  So it worked more than 11 years.  (They were expensive back then, I wasn't sold on the fact they pay for themselves, so I wrote the date on it.  I don't do this anymore, I'm convinced.)

Turning them off is the most economic way to go.

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 10:29:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Think that is bad....try living with a college graduate who moves back in with you when you thought your job was done and he'd be out on his own.

Burn!
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 3:58:18 PM EDT
[#11]
I was so disappointed with the light output of the two dimmable CFL's I bought that I took them back AND replaced the dimmer switch with a regular one.

But this thread has been helpful in reminding me to not shut off the lights too much - but out of natural habit they are just going to get used, and turned off, as need be anyway.

Another benefit, I guess, to them is the greatly reduced heat output they put out.  In the fight to keep a south Florida house cool enough to live in, the reduced energy it takes to cool the place adds up on the electric bill, too.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top