Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 6/29/2009 3:00:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
No offense to anyone who owns the FNP45 as I'm sure that like all of FN's other products they're excellent firearms, but damn if that's not an ugly pistol.

I love and prefer my USP, but I would also trust a FN handgun. I just can't get past the looks on the 45, though.

It looks better without the girl hand backstrap, and with a man's backstrap on it.
Link Posted: 6/29/2009 3:00:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
No offense to anyone who owns the FNP45 as I'm sure that like all of FN's other products they're excellent firearms, but damn if that's not an ugly pistol.

I love and prefer my USP, but I would also trust a FN handgun. I just can't get past the looks on the 45, though.

FN does make some questionable looking stuff

Link Posted: 6/29/2009 3:03:37 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://www.theplaceholder.com/forums/imagehosting/544a4804fc5a190.jpg

I don't really like their stock, it looks ugly, but other than that. SCAR looks awesome.

Link Posted: 6/29/2009 3:08:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
HK45 vs the FN

The HK45 has alot of advantages over the older USP 45.

Yeah like 2 fewer rounds

reading my mind
Link Posted: 6/29/2009 3:11:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/29/2009 3:16:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/29/2009 3:18:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
HK45 vs the FN

Yeah like 2 fewer rounds

reading my mind

Not a bad trade at all.  Have you shot the HK45, or even held it?
Link Posted: 6/29/2009 3:21:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, but it would make you able to protect your briefcase from homies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QhuBIkPXn0

Haha, I forgot all about that.

"I don't think so.  Homey don't play that."

Link Posted: 6/29/2009 3:24:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
HK45 vs the FN

Yeah like 2 fewer rounds

reading my mind

If ammo count is all you care about then get a G17 with a 33rd mag.
Link Posted: 6/29/2009 4:10:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Cool pics. The FN is like half the price to.
Link Posted: 6/29/2009 4:20:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Both are great firearms. But the contols on the HK are superior to the FN i.e. mag release and slide stop lever is "beefy" and not a little piece of metal like on my FNP40 or my little bro's G20.
Link Posted: 6/29/2009 4:22:35 PM EDT
[#12]
The one thing I love the most about the HK is that I don't have to shift my grip to release the magazine like I have to do with other brands.
Link Posted: 6/29/2009 4:25:57 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I hate HK and their snobby attitude, but i'd take an HK45 or HK USP over ANY handgun

1911 fanboys need to learn their weapon is almost a 100 year old design, and it has long since been surpassed.

Ruh oh!

Excellent photography, OP.

Link Posted: 6/29/2009 4:30:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
In before the men with girly hands and weak genetics claim the USP is too big.

Amen Brother.

Link Posted: 6/29/2009 4:37:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.theplaceholder.com/forums/imagehosting/544a4804fc5a190.jpg

Need to get yourself a flat dark earth FNP-45 to go with that SCAR or wait until they come out with the tactical
Link Posted: 6/29/2009 4:40:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
HK45 vs the FN

Yeah like 2 fewer rounds

reading my mind

Sure that is a reasonable comparaison

Link Posted: 6/29/2009 4:42:31 PM EDT
[#17]
I love my FNP-45.  Sights on FNP are much better than the HK also.
Link Posted: 6/29/2009 5:01:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
HK45 vs the FN

Yeah like 2 fewer rounds

reading my mind

Sure that is a reasonable comparaison

Thank you.
Link Posted: 6/29/2009 5:10:13 PM EDT
[#19]
If you're going to do a comparison, you should compare the FNP's trigger to the match trigger found in the USP Tactical. Yes, the FNP trigger is THAT nice.

<–– Happy USPT owner.
Link Posted: 6/29/2009 6:37:00 PM EDT
[#20]

I remember your thread.  It's why I decided to do this, to compare two comparable pieces of hardware and give the FNP some more face time.  Like it's been said here, I think it's extremely under rated.

Link Posted: 6/29/2009 6:45:27 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I love my FNP-45.  Sights on FNP are much better than the HK also.

Honestly, they look the same to me.

Quoted:

Will the FNP fit into a USP holster?

No.  Well, not a kydex one.  It is measurably wider in the slide and frame.  Maybe it would fit in a leather one.

Quoted:

What is the street price on the FNP 45?

Cheapest I've seen is $525ish from CDNN when they have them, I've seen them at $600 in stores.  I know at one point you could order them from Tanners for <$500 but I don't think that's the case any more.

Quoted:

Just a thought, but maybe FNH realizes it should be a slide stop and not a slide release?

Sling-shot that baby.

I handled an FNP 45 at my local shop, if I had the cash I'd definitely spring for it.

Kharn

My 1911 is set up as a release, my Highpower is set up as a release, the USP is set up as a release.  I am not knocking the "slingshot" method, gross motor skills and all that, I just like to be as consistent as possible with all my handguns, so I use it as a release.  This was one of my biggest pet peeves with the G21 as well.

Quoted:

Looks like the FN has a lower bore axis as well. Can anyone confirm?

Mag releases are unimportant to me tap and rack!

The difference in bore height is very slight, but the web of your hand is closer to the bore on the FNP.

Link Posted: 6/29/2009 6:49:15 PM EDT
[#22]
I don't even own a pistol right now. I, myself, am trying to figure out if I want an HK45 or FNP .45, but all accounts both are great weapons. Decisions, decisions...
Link Posted: 6/29/2009 7:38:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I don't even own a pistol right now. I, myself, am trying to figure out if I want an HK45 or FNP .45, but all accounts both are great weapons. Decisions, decisions...

Don't rule out the XD45.

I have the 5" Tactical model and love it.

I have shot a few USPSA matches with it and it has always run 100%.

If the FNP .45 had been in stores when I bought my XD I would have had to give it a
strong consideration however.

Link Posted: 6/29/2009 8:14:53 PM EDT
[#24]
My favorite

Link Posted: 6/29/2009 8:44:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Great Pics.

You just documented my most recent purchase dilemma.

I put a lot of thought into into each and really didn't see a bad choice once FNH came out with the USG model.

I ended up with and HK Tactical model based on the match trigger, suppressor ready barrel, and the fact that I have never owned an HK product.  I felt like I had to own one at some point just for the sake of doing so.

That said, I would have gone home happy with the FNH, as well.

I am very happy with both the HK trigger in the Tactical model, and with the mag release.  I prefer this mag release setup over any other since I first became familiar with it on a Walther P99.

By the way, don't buy the comments that these handguns are too large for CCW.  I have been CCW'ing the Tactical for a couple of weeks now and have not had any significant issues over my normal 1911 rig.

Link Posted: 6/29/2009 10:42:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/30/2009 3:26:30 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't rule out the XD45.

I have the 5" Tactical model and love it.

I have shot a few USPSA matches with it and it has always run 100%.

If the FNP .45 had been in stores when I bought my XD I would have had to give it a
strong consideration however.

+1 on the XD.  I liked it better than my USP
Link Posted: 6/30/2009 3:44:28 AM EDT
[#29]
I have a USP 45 lovte it, very accurate for a out of the box polymer pistol in my book, my only gripe with them is the ungodly long trigger pulls
Link Posted: 6/30/2009 3:47:19 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I have a USP 45 lovte it, very accurate for a out of the box polymer pistol in my book, my only gripe with them is the ungodly long trigger pulls

The boxy grip, the crappy trigger feel, the fact the trigger is 5 miles infront of the grip, the retarded proprietary rail, the textured grip which I find too agressive... Used to have a USP9, an HK45 and a P2000lem 9mm. The best pistol out of the line-up was the P2000lem. I'd really like to try the FNP45 and the M&P45
Link Posted: 6/30/2009 3:48:51 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I hate HK and their snobby attitude, but i'd take an HK45 or HK USP over ANY handgun

1911 fanboys need to learn their weapon is almost a 100 year old design, and it has long since been surpassed.

yeah ok.. thats why the 1911 is still in wide use and still one of the most accurate auto pistols on the market
Link Posted: 6/30/2009 4:01:37 AM EDT
[#32]
Tag for home & pics.
Link Posted: 6/30/2009 4:03:31 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

yeah ok.. thats why the 1911 is still in wide use and still one of the most accurate auto pistols on the market

Call me a coolaid drinking fanboy, but I don't think the straight pull trigger of the 1911 as been matched in any of the modern pistols I've shot.

Granted I haven't shot many different pistols(USP v1, P2000lem, HK P7, HK45, Glock17, P226, some ppc tuned revolver and 1911s)
Link Posted: 6/30/2009 4:17:44 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 6/30/2009 4:19:24 AM EDT
[#35]
Haven't shot either, but both look like fine weapons.
Link Posted: 6/30/2009 8:34:26 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
HK45 vs the FN

Yeah like 2 fewer rounds

reading my mind

Not a bad trade at all.  Have you shot the HK45, or even held it?

I know the grip of the HK45 is great for people with smaller hands, but I handle the USP just fine, and yes I've held and shot an HK45....It is a fine firearm, but I'm perfectly content with my USP45...
Link Posted: 6/30/2009 8:39:29 AM EDT
[#37]
If the FNP has a much better trigger than the USP then I will consider getting one.  The USP trigger is not to my liking at all.

Link Posted: 6/30/2009 8:41:17 AM EDT
[#38]
The FN looks like a good gun.

But, as rogerdodger pointed out, it's still not a SIG P220.  Nor is it a Glock 21.

Is the FN better than either of those (or the HK)?  Probably not...they're probably all about the same with different advantages and disadvantages.

All this means is we should buy one of each model for "evaluation".

Link Posted: 6/30/2009 8:48:56 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The boxy grip, the crappy trigger feel, the fact the trigger is 5 miles infront of the grip, the retarded proprietary rail, the textured grip which I find too agressive... Used to have a USP9, an HK45 and a P2000lem 9mm. The best pistol out of the line-up was the P2000lem. I'd really like to try the FNP45 and the M&P45

If you think the texture on the USP is too aggressive, the FNP might cut your hands up like barb wire.  It is aggressive.

Link Posted: 6/30/2009 8:50:16 AM EDT
[#40]
HK FTMFW
Link Posted: 6/30/2009 8:58:56 AM EDT
[#41]
Doesn't Bass Pro have the FN pistols on sale this month (or did I miss that sale?).
Link Posted: 6/30/2009 8:59:07 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

If you think the texture on the USP is too aggressive, the FNP might cut your hands up like barb wire.  It is aggressive.

It's the backstrap on the USP that I dislike with its pyramid-like stippling. I shot a 400 round session once with my USP9 and the backstrap was indented into the palm of my hand and it was really uncomfortable, slightly painful. The FNP seems to have an horizontal lines type backstrap so I'm thinking it wont be as bad. Problem is finding someone or a shop that has one so I can check it out/try it.
Link Posted: 6/30/2009 9:01:06 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's the backstrap on the USP that I dislike with its pyramid-like stippling. I shot a 400 round session once with my USP9 and the backstrap was indented into the palm of my hand and it was really uncomfortable, slightly painful. The FNP seems to have an horizontal lines type backstrap so I'm thinking it wont be as bad. Problem is finding someone or a shop that has one so I can check it out/try it.

It's true, they're horizontal lines, but they are almost sharp.  I've been contemplating taking a red scotchbrite pad around the grip to knock the edges down a bit.

Link Posted: 6/30/2009 9:02:32 AM EDT
[#44]
Uhhhh I hate you Kuraki!!! (great pics
)

My next firearm purchase will be a FNP-45 USG.  I am an HK fanatic by the way, but the FN looks great, and I haven't read any bad reviews about it.

As for the HK45, I really didn't like it compared to my USP45.  I sold/traded it after 3 weeks of owning it. The ergo grips of it really don't jive with me, and I could not shoot it as well as my USP (same reason I sold my P30).
Link Posted: 6/30/2009 9:05:47 AM EDT
[#45]
What is the "USG" version?  Is that with a safe/fire/decock control?  
Link Posted: 6/30/2009 9:07:08 AM EDT
[#46]
The FNP looks like something the Japanese would make.

Look at the grip... It's retarded.
Link Posted: 6/30/2009 9:09:38 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 6/30/2009 9:13:52 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
The FNP looks like something the Japanese would make.

Look at the grip... It's retarded.

Thanks for adding your valuable insight and obvious expertise to the discussion.

Anyone with over 5100 posts in less than a year here is either an expert or just has a lot to say.  

Link Posted: 6/30/2009 9:22:35 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

What is the "USG" version?  Is that with a safe/fire/decock control?  

Yup, like the USP V1, and it has front slide serrations

FNP USG goodness

Link Posted: 6/30/2009 9:23:56 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top