Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/17/2009 12:20:30 PM EDT
What is the best method of storing moonshine? i was given some recently
Its in a glass liquor bottle right now (jose fifth). It that going to keep it drinkable years from now or does it have to be in an airtight container.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:20:59 PM EDT
[#1]
It will be fine.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:21:13 PM EDT
[#2]
in a mason jar in the freezer.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:36:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Virginia Lightning, a brand of legally produced 100 proof corn liquor, says 'guaranteed under 30 days old' on the bottle. The stuff will keep indefinitely, but it does change over time. Might want to sample a little now and compare it to later.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:37:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Freezer, though I've never let mine go for too long.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:50:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Airtight in the freezer.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:54:24 PM EDT
[#6]
As a person who dabbles in alcohol production, could someone explain why you need to store it in the freezer?
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:54:24 PM EDT
[#7]
What is this "Years from now" that you speak of?

Are you going to sit there and look at it?
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:57:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
As a person who dabbles in alcohol production, could someone explain why you need to store it in the freezer?

dunno.  The stuff we get from my uncle keeps just fine in the liquor cabinet.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:59:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Some things are to be savored at room temp and others are extremely enjoyable if pulled from the freezer like a Blanco  tequila.

Even a few bourbons are nice that way.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:02:04 PM EDT
[#10]
In a mason jar under three feet of shaded red clay.

ARH

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:02:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Virginia Lightning, a brand of legally produced 100 proof corn liquor, says 'guaranteed under 30 days old' on the bottle. The stuff will keep indefinitely, but it does change over time. Might want to sample a little now and compare it to later.

That ain't shine.

After you remove the mash, wtf can alcohol do besides mellow in flavor? Its 190 proof or what have you, its not going to get moldy...
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:02:50 PM EDT
[#12]
The alcohol doesn't freeze at the same temps as water.  It's a good way to know it aint water if you pull it from the freezer and it's not frozen.  Ice cold  shine goes down very easy.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:04:34 PM EDT
[#13]
I keep mine in a mason jar in the freezer.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:06:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

'shine tastes better when it's cold, that is unless it has fruit in it, then it tastes good at room temp.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:09:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Put it in an oak flask and let it sit for a few years.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:11:07 PM EDT
[#16]
5 gallon oak cask
use a torch to char the inside
fill with shine
drink in 10/15/20 years from now
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:23:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Being cold will keep the vapor pressure down and might slow changes to flavor.

I thought part of the point and mystique of moonshine was the mason jar.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:39:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

i helped once!!

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:53:27 PM EDT
[#19]
I've always wanted to try some 'White lightning',  I've just never known anyone who knows how to make it or where to buy it...
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:58:06 PM EDT
[#20]
It won't get any worse than it already is - it probably went through a car radiator anyway.

Take my advice - dump that shit and buy some Jack Daniels.  You will thank me.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:01:52 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i helped once!!

It was much better than that "tampon wine", no?

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:03:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

i helped once!!

Ughhhh  I've tried to forget about that stuff.  Good lord.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:08:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That ain't shine.

Other than being made legally, what's the difference?
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:12:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I've always wanted to try some 'White lightning',  I've just never known anyone who knows how to make it or where to buy it...

It aint that hard. Theres videos and websites all over the net showing you how to make stills and what not.

If you dont want to use a still you could just make prison wine...
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:34:52 PM EDT
[#25]
What makes good moonshine "good" is the water.  It can't be chlorinated or distilled. I've also found that rye, or "sugar" liquor to be the best in terms of the bead and the smoothness.  

The best shine, IMHO, is the stuff where you stuff 3 peaches in the jar and wait a month.  I can't tell y'all how good that is.  Strawberries, cherries and raspberries are damn good too.  Best part is, if  you are still not too hammered, you can eat the fruit (they become highly concentrated with alcohol).
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:37:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
What makes good moonshine "good" is the water.  It can't be chlorinated or distilled. I've also found that rye, or "sugar" liquor to be the best in terms of the bead and the smoothness.  

The best shine, IMHO, is the stuff where you stuff 3 peaches in the jar and wait a month.  I can't tell y'all how good that is.  Strawberries, cherries and raspberries are damn good too.  Best part is, if  you are still not too hammered, you can eat the fruit (they become highly concentrated with alcohol).

Fruit and Liquor is pure WIN! I like to do the same thing with Jungle Juice. Make it a day or so  before hand toss some sliced apples, 'naners, pineapple, and melons. man thats some good stuff. Its like a snack while ya drink.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:56:17 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

What makes good moonshine "good" is the water. It can't be chlorinated or distilled. I've also found that rye, or "sugar" liquor to be the best in terms of the bead and the smoothness.

The best shine, IMHO, is the stuff where you stuff 3 peaches in the jar and wait a month. I can't tell y'all how good that is. Strawberries, cherries and raspberries are damn good too. Best part is, if you are still not too hammered, you can eat the fruit (they become highly concentrated with alcohol).

Using clear ice to test the proof works since shine more than 150 proof will cause the ice to sink.  Bead is mostly due to surface tension which is due to concentration of the neat product.  Introduction of sugar/fruit will change bead formation.

The bead on Everclear is awesome

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:56:18 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

What makes good moonshine "good" is the water. It can't be chlorinated or distilled. I've also found that rye, or "sugar" liquor to be the best in terms of the bead and the smoothness.

The best shine, IMHO, is the stuff where you stuff 3 peaches in the jar and wait a month. I can't tell y'all how good that is. Strawberries, cherries and raspberries are damn good too. Best part is, if you are still not too hammered, you can eat the fruit (they become highly concentrated with alcohol).

Using clear ice to test the proof works since shine more than 150 proof will cause the ice to sink.  Bead is mostly due to surface tension which is due to concentration of the neat product.  Introduction of sugar/fruit will change bead formation.

The bead on Everclear is awesome

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:05:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I can't tell y'all how good that is.  

no, but you could show me.  IM me for my mailing address
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:08:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Quoted:

The bead on Everclear is awesome .

I have some everclear to test this stuff against.
Strong liquor stays in my SHTFstash.

How do I determine a bead?
I shook them both. Bubbles formed on the surface of the shine alot longer that the clear

The odors are far apart. The clear smells like rubbing alcohol, the shine smells like a whiskey sour.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:11:18 PM EDT
[#31]
I prefer to keep it in me belly...
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:48:55 PM EDT
[#32]
In the back of the General Lee.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:38:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That ain't shine.

After you remove the mash, wtf can alcohol do besides mellow in flavor? Its 190 proof or what have you, its not going to get moldy...

Without a packed column and reflux it would take more work than most are willing to make to to 190 proof.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:47:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

i helped once!!

Ughhhh  I've tried to forget about that stuff.  Good lord.

I think this little exchange will give me nightmares tonight. Seriously.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:11:27 PM EDT
[#35]
I still don't know how anyone could get wine that strong.  Was that okguy91's brew? I can't remember.  The last thing I remember about the tampon wine night was someone was walking across the campfire on a dare
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top