Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 6/17/2009 12:46:11 AM EDT
Please do not cheat. If you already know the answer to a riddle, or have looked it up on google, do not post it.
I'm doing this one from memory, so hopefully I explain it correctly.

These men are about to be killed by bandits. Two of them are wearing white hats, and two of them are wearing black hats.

Three of them stand on one side of the (non-reflective) wall, and one on the other. They cannot move their heads or will be shot. (Eyeballs in the picture indicate the direction they're facing)

They know all of these stipulations except none of the men know the arrangement of hat colors apart from two men having black, and two men having white.

The bandits give any one of them a chance to live. The first person among them to correctly guess what color hat he is wearing will be set free.

If they guess wrong, they will be killed.
One of these men has a nearly flawless method of guessing correctly. Which one is it, and what is this method?

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:48:11 AM EDT
[#1]
I give up, what's the answer?
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:53:32 AM EDT
[#2]
i thought i had it.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:53:54 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Patience!

ETA: Before anyone says it, the underside of the bills of their hats are all the same color

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:55:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Patience!

ETA: Before anyone says it, the underside of the bills of their hats are all the same color

Patience my ass, I'm wearing a gimp suit and I'm about to be thrown back under the sink in 2 minutes.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:56:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Patience!

FUCK.

Well, I'm stumped.

Question- are they allowed to talk to one another?
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:00:50 AM EDT
[#6]
No talking, no mirrors, and no super-human abilities
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:01:24 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Patience!

Patience my ass, I'm wearing a gimp suit and I'm about to be thrown back under the sink in 2 minutes.

Is it a white or black gimp suit?

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:01:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Patience!

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:02:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Patience!

Is it a white or black gimp suit?

half and half
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:05:28 AM EDT
[#10]
The 4 men have been informed that there are 2 white hats and 2 black hats.

No one can see the lone man on the other side of the wall, and he can't see the other three men.
I'll withhold my conclusion

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:05:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Are the men in separate rooms, or the same room separated by a wall?
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:08:12 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Are the men in separate rooms, or the same room separated by a wall?

It doesn't matter. The men on the right cannot see the man on the left (but know that he is there), and the man on the left cannot see the men on the right (but he likewise knows they are there).

They cannot talk to one another

I'll give it a few more minutes before posting the spoiler

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:11:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Is the sun shining on them?
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:12:06 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Is the sun shining on them?

We'll say there is a roof over top. No trickery, just some logic.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:15:59 AM EDT
[#15]
This is pretty cool, i have no idea

***edit***

would it be the last guy alive??
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:16:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Fine...

If the guy in the middle doesn't hear the guy behind him blurt out a color, he can assume that his hat is the opposite color of the hat in front of him.

Hats are easy, it's just a matter of time/timing. Somewhere out there is a version that has 3 hats in a line, and another that has them sitting at a table facing each other.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:17:32 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Fine...
If the guy in the middle doesn't hear the guy behind him blurt out a color, he can assume that his hat is the opposite color of the hat in front of him.
Hats are easy, it's just a matter of time/timing. Somewhere out there is a version that has 3 hats in a line, and another that has them sitting at a table facing each other.

Bingo.

#4 can see #3 and #2 in front of him, but is still unsure since he sees a white and black hat.

#3 can see a white hat in front of him. #3 knows that if he was wearing a white hat, #4 would have seen two white hats, and know that his hat would have to be black. Since #4 is not guessing, #3 can assume (and correctly state) that he has a black hat on.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:18:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Now someone else post a riddle

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:19:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Fine...

I was thinking along those lines. Using the process of elimination the last guy asked should be able to guess correctly.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:20:29 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fine...

Bingo.

#4 can see #3 and #2 in front of him, but is still unsure since he sees a white and black hat.

#3 can see a white hat in front of him. He knows that if he was wearing a white hat, #4 would have seen two white hats, knowing that his hat would have to be black. Since #4 is not guessing, #3 can assume (and correctly state) that he has a black hat on.

I often use the "Missing Dollar" joke on people... I missed that topic
, so I didn't reply. I only found this one because I fell asleep on the couch, and woke up to my keyboard slipping off my lap onto a laminate floor.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:20:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Guy #3 can see that guy #2 has a white hat, thus he knows that there are two black hats and one white hat left, so if he guesses he has a black hat he has a 2/3 chance of being correct.

Guy #4 can see a black and a white hat, so there's only one left of each, leaving him with a 50/50 chance of a correct answer, just like Guy #1, since as far as he knows, there are still 2 black and 2 white hats available, so there's nothing he can do to increase his odds of guessing.

Guy #3 has the best chance of guessing and should do so with the choice of black, giving him a 66.67% chance of living.

Edit:

Ok  - now I get it.  Since Guy #4 would immediately blurt out "Black!" if he saw white hats on #2 and #3, #3 could infer that silence from #4 means that Guy #4 sees a black and a white hat.  Since #3 sees that same white hat, he must have a black hat.

Guy #1 is screwed.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:21:00 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fine...

I was thinking along those lines. Using the process of elimination the last guy asked should be able to guess correctly.

They're not asked individually.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:21:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Fine...

this
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:24:16 AM EDT
[#24]
OK, Riddle Number Two.

This one is pretty popular, so feel free to post more.
A farmer was going to town with a fox,
   a goose and a sack of corn.

When he came to a stream, he had
   to cross in a tiny boat, and could only take across one thing
   at a time.

However, if he left the fox alone with the goose,
   the fox would eat the goose.

If he left the goose alone with
   the corn, the goose would eat the corn.

How does he get them
   all safely over the stream?

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:25:27 AM EDT
[#25]
#4 can switch hats with #3
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:27:41 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Guy #3 can see that guy #2 has a white hat, thus he knows that there are two black hats and one white hat left, so if he guesses he has a black hat he has a 2/3 chance of being correct.

Guy #4 can see a black and a white hat, so there's only one left of each, leaving him with a 50/50 chance of a correct answer, just like Guy #1, since as far as he knows, there are still 2 black and 2 white hats available, so there's nothing he can do to increase his odds of guessing.

Guy #3 has the best chance of guessing and should do so with the choice of black, giving him a 66.67% chance of living.

Guy #3 will use Guy #4's behavior to correctly determine his own hat color.

If #2 and #3 colors are the same? Guy #4 claims the opposite color(which is also #1 color)

If #2 and #3 are different? Guy #4 has a 50/50 shot and says nothing, which clues in #3 about his hat color, based on #2's color.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:28:47 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Fine...

They're not asked individually.

Oh, the way it was worded made me think that they were. I guess I should have asked that too!
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:31:35 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

OK, Riddle Number Two.

A farmer was going to town with a fox,    a goose and a sack of corn.

When he came to a stream, he had    to cross in a tiny boat, and could only take across one thing    at a time.

However, if he left the fox alone with the goose,    the fox would eat the goose.

If he left the goose alone with    the corn, the goose would eat the corn.

How does he get them    all safely over the stream?

I'll defer on this one.
There is a flash version(japanese) of this that has 3 teachers, 4 students, and 2 criminals... or something like that... brb
Here you go... it's not easy...

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:33:36 AM EDT
[#29]
Hey kap, make sure to bump this thread in the morning, would ya kindly? Kinda tired....
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:33:39 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

OK, Riddle Number Two.

When he came to a stream, he had    to cross in a tiny boat, and could only take across one thing    at a time.

However, if he left the fox alone with the goose,    the fox would eat the goose.

Use the bridge.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:38:23 AM EDT
[#31]
bring goose over first

go back with an empty boat

grab the fox head over

go back with the goose

leave the goose and go over with the grain/flour

go back an pick up the goose

I think
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:41:57 AM EDT
[#32]
Take the goose and leave the fox with the corn.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:42:41 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

bring goose over first

go back with an empty boat

grab the fox head over

go back with the goose

leave the goose and go over with the grain/flour

go back an pick up the goose

I think

Yep

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:45:30 AM EDT
[#34]
Tom and his younger sister were fighting.
Their mother was tired of the fighting, and decided to punish them by
making them stand on the same piece of newspaper in such a way that
they couldn't touch each other.

How did she accomplish this?

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:53:42 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Tom and his younger sister were fighting.Their mother was tired of the fighting, and decided to punish them bymaking them stand on the same piece of newspaper in such a way thatthey couldn't touch each other.

Tom stands on one side, his sister on the other.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:00:58 AM EDT
[#36]
There is something on this planet I will describe and you guess what it is...please no cheating

____ is greater than God
____ is more evil than the devil
The poor have _____
The rich need _____
If you eat _____ you WILL die....

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:04:38 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

There is something on this planet I will describe and you guess what it is...please no cheating

____ is greater than God

The poor have _____

The rich need _____

Pie?

(I know the answer)

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:11:35 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Tom and his younger sister were fighting.Their mother was tired of the fighting, and decided to punish them bymaking them stand on the same piece of newspaper in such a way thatthey couldn't touch each other.

She put the newspaper under a door?
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:22:28 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

She put the newspaper under a door?

Yep

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:56:09 AM EDT
[#40]
This is Einstein's Riddle.

I just finished it––it's not particularly difficult, but will take you a little while to work it out.

- In a street there are five houses, painted
   five different colors.

- In each house lives a person of different
   nationality.

- These five homeowners each drink a different
   kind of beverage, smoke different brand of cigar and keep a different
   pet.

Einstein's riddle is: Who owns the fish?

Necessary clues:

1. The British man lives in a red house.

2. The Swedish man keeps dogs as pets.

3. The Danish man drinks tea.

4. The Green house is next to, and on the left of the White house.

5. The owner of the Green house drinks coffee.

6. The person who smokes Pall Mall rears birds.

7. The owner of the Yellow house smokes Dunhill.

8. The man living in the center house drinks milk.

9. The Norwegian lives in the first house.

10. The man who smokes Blends lives next to the one who keeps
   cats.

11. The man who keeps horses lives next to the man who smokes
   Dunhill.

12. The man who smokes Blue Master drinks beer.

13. The German smokes Prince.

14. The Norwegian lives next to the blue house.

15. The Blends smoker lives next to the one who drinks water.

I'll be back this evening with the answer

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:53:33 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
OK, Riddle Number Two.

This is a riddle?

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 9:28:51 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

____ is greater than God
The poor have _____
The rich need _____

nothing.

A man lives on the 22nd floor of an apartment building in NY.  Every morning he takes the elevator to the bottom floor and goes to work.  Every evening he takes the elevator to the 13th floor and walks up the stairs up to the 22nd.  Why?
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 9:29:12 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

____ is greater than God
The poor have _____
The rich need _____

Nothing

Damn, got beat to it.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 9:39:34 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
OK, Riddle Number Two.

Farmer takes goose over to the other side of the river first, leaving the corn and Fox.
Farmer returns and brings fox over to far side
Farmer returns to near side with the goose and replaces him on back near side.
Farmer leaves goose on near side, and returns with corn to far side of river (now Fox and corn on far side)
Farmer returns to near side, gathers up goose, and paddles to far side for the win!

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 9:47:49 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
A man lives on the 22nd floor of an apartment building in NY.  Every morning he takes the elevator to the bottom floor and goes to work.  Every evening he takes the elevator to the 13th floor and walks up the stairs up to the 22nd.  Why?

He's a midget and can only reach to the 13th floor button.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 9:49:21 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

____ is greater than God
The poor have _____
The rich need _____

nothing.

he's a midget
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 9:50:19 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

____ is greater than God
The poor have _____
The rich need _____

nothing.

He's tall enough to press the 1st floor button, but too short to reach the 22nd floor button. Fuck that noise. He should carry a stick or something.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:17:48 AM EDT
[#48]
Is it the German in the Green house who drinks Coffee and smokes Prince the one that owns Fish?
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:18:15 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
This is Einstein's Riddle.
I just finished it––it's not particularly difficult, but will take you a little while to work it out.

- In a street there are five houses, painted    five different colors.

- In each house lives a person of different    nationality.

- These five homeowners each drink a different    kind of beverage, smoke different brand of cigar and keep a different    pet.

Einstein's riddle is: Who owns the fish?

Necessary clues:

1. The British man lives in a red house.
   2. The Swedish man keeps dogs as pets.
   3. The Danish man drinks tea.
   4. The Green house is next to, and on the left of the White house.
   5. The owner of the Green house drinks coffee.
   6. The person who smokes Pall Mall rears birds.
   7. The owner of the Yellow house smokes Dunhill.
   8. The man living in the center house drinks milk.
   9. The Norwegian lives in the first house.
   10. The man who smokes Blends lives next to the one who keeps    cats.
   11. The man who keeps horses lives next to the man who smokes    Dunhill.
   12. The man who smokes Blue Master drinks beer.
   13. The German smokes Prince.
   14. The Norwegian lives next to the blue house.
   15. The Blends smoker lives next to the one who drinks water.

I'll be back this evening with the answer

Who owns the fish?

The German who smokes Prince while sipping coffee in the fourth house which is painted green.

ETA: Damn, beat by a minute, I knew I shouldn't have spell checked...
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:22:02 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Is it the German in the Green house who drinks Coffee and smokes Prince the one that owns Fish?

Ah, but you didn't say the fourth house, ha

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top